Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yo anyone know anything about Grundtvig

is he one of those people only scandinavians care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is he like Saint Urho?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no he's a massively important theologian up here, mostly notable for his great efforts to unite Lutheranism with Not Having A Massive Stick Up Your Arse

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

apparently "my" denomination has him on our calendar of "saints and cool people" :cool:

next to MLK and florence nightingale, of courrse :c00l:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

yo anyone know anything about Grundtvig

is he one of those people only scandinavians care about

I was raised in a Scandinavian-American Lutheran community and attended a college of the same, I only know about Grundtvig because I studied abroad in Denmark, and my exposure was "he was super important in Danish Lutheranism, Pietism or something??" I think there were some special types of schools he helped found, he had a big impact theologically but also socially.

Even though Lutherans in America are pretty heavily of Scandinavian descent (especially in the Midwest), it's mostly Norwegians and Swedes and there isn't a lot of awareness of European stuff. We study Luther and the Reformation but knowledge of anything Scandinavian doesn't often extend beyond "uhhh we were Vikings and then poor peasant dirt farmers until our ancestor emigrated to America, uff da!"

He's certainly not a known figure to your American Lutheran laymen. Maybe clergy or those who've studied Lutheran theology will be familiar, but I think he's pretty specific to the Danish tradition.

Edit: sort of like Kierkegaard, who most people aren't familiar with outside of philosophy but I'd consider really important for Lutherans to study.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

what would you nerds think of me having my dad (not the poster lol how wacky, but my actual father) do a mini a/t itt

you can ask all your unresolved quandaries involving country lutheran pastoring and stuff

e:

basically if you come up with enough good/funny questions i'm going to make him do it, so go hog wild

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What sort of parishes did he serve? Large ones? Small ones? Urban/rural? Parochial school attached? Second career or went straight to seminary?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lutha Mahtin posted:

(not the poster lol how wacky, but my actual father)

I don't even have to post anymore for my username to run its magic. :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Just convert, problem solved!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Man, but if they want to get married as soon as possible, first they'd have to do RCIA, and they couldn't get official until Easter (assuming they get into this years RCIA on time) and THEN the have a 6 month pre-Cana. I mean, totally worth it... but for us it's all about the :catholic:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Man, but if they want to get married as soon as possible, first they'd have to do RCIA, and they couldn't get official until Easter (assuming they get into this years RCIA on time) and THEN the have a 6 month pre-Cana. I mean, totally worth it... but for us it's all about the :catholic:

If there's one thing the Church can do right it's bureaucracy.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe later! He's working on becoming a Missionary Associate and I'm all over the youth group, so we're pretty attached for the time being. :)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pellisworth posted:

I was raised in a Scandinavian-American Lutheran community and attended a college of the same, I only know about Grundtvig because I studied abroad in Denmark, and my exposure was "he was super important in Danish Lutheranism, Pietism or something??" I think there were some special types of schools he helped found, he had a big impact theologically but also socially.

Even though Lutherans in America are pretty heavily of Scandinavian descent (especially in the Midwest), it's mostly Norwegians and Swedes and there isn't a lot of awareness of European stuff. We study Luther and the Reformation but knowledge of anything Scandinavian doesn't often extend beyond "uhhh we were Vikings and then poor peasant dirt farmers until our ancestor emigrated to America, uff da!"

He's certainly not a known figure to your American Lutheran laymen. Maybe clergy or those who've studied Lutheran theology will be familiar, but I think he's pretty specific to the Danish tradition.

Edit: sort of like Kierkegaard, who most people aren't familiar with outside of philosophy but I'd consider really important for Lutherans to study.

Grundtvig is also very important in Norway, and the Grundtvig-Lęstadius conflict is a major point of tension in particularly Norwegian Christianity, basically being a contest between bourgeois/large-farmer liberalism and hard-line peasant puritanism. Grundtvig's major slogan was "Human First, then Christian"

His big Thing was that, since Christianity is the most perfect lifestyle, it is not necessary to preach it directly - sufficiently enlightening and uplifting man through the course of his life will naturally lead man to God - the role of the clergy is to guide believers, not to lead them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

His big Thing was that, since Christianity is the most perfect lifestyle, it is not necessary to preach it directly - sufficiently enlightening and uplifting man through the course of his life will naturally lead man to God - the role of the clergy is to guide believers, not to lead them

Is this the basic Lutheran "you're able to accept salvation because God gave you the ability to do so" thing or is it different and I'm not understanding.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is this the basic Lutheran "you're able to accept salvation because God gave you the ability to do so" thing or is it different and I'm not understanding.

Nah this has more to do with the role of the Church in society. In the case of Scandinavia, you have state Lutheran churches so the situation is quite different in the US where state religion is explicitly unconstitutional. Grundtvig I think is advocating for a more "bottom up" religion where you educate and uplift and improve the lives of citizens and that will lead them to God. The alternative being a more "top down" approach where clergy are preaching to lead them to God.'

Edit: I think it would be fair to say modern Americans would consider this more political than theological.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 2, 2015

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
I dunno if y'all heard, but Pope Francis released a letter yesterday that extended to all priests the power to absolve (and thus lift excommunications on) people who have gotten an abortion, without needing to consult with a bishop (since the lifting of excommunications is usually reserved to the local Ordinary). Expect an inflated, exaggerated reaction from the American press, if you haven't seen it already.

More surprising in that letter is the extension of validity and license to confessions heard by the priests of the SSPX for the duration of this liturgical year. Looks like Francis is trying to lure them back into full communion by giving them a taste of full regularization.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Bel_Canto posted:

I dunno if y'all heard, but Pope Francis released a letter yesterday that extended to all priests the power to absolve (and thus lift excommunications on) people who have gotten an abortion, without needing to consult with a bishop (since the lifting of excommunications is usually reserved to the local Ordinary). Expect an inflated, exaggerated reaction from the American press, if you haven't seen it already.

More surprising in that letter is the extension of validity and license to confessions heard by the priests of the SSPX for the duration of this liturgical year. Looks like Francis is trying to lure them back into full communion by giving them a taste of full regularization.

On the other hand, they've never accepted that they didn't have faculties to hear confessions (and officiate at weddings), so I don't know how much of a lure that'll be.

I do like that grant of faculties worldwide, though; many (most?) bishops have granted it to their priests anyway, but now that isn't dependent on the bishop having done so. (Much like permission to say the Extraordinary Form, though that didn't lure the SSPX in when Benedict XVI tried it, which is why I'm dubious about this one.)

Father Z made an entertaining comment: once a SSPX priest can validly absolve, when the new liturgical year starts, anyone who's been confessing to him for years would technically need to confess having to confessed to him while he didn't have those faculties...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

zonohedron posted:

On the other hand, they've never accepted that they didn't have faculties to hear confessions (and officiate at weddings), so I don't know how much of a lure that'll be.

uh

if they actually said that, that would be donatism

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

I like it, since Pope Francis really wants people to go to confession, he is doing whatever he can to remove obstacles.

I go to confession to SSPX priests regularly. They claim not to have regular jursidiction (normally obtained from the local bishop), but that the church supplies it for each penitent who asks for confession because of a state of necessity and doubt. Their official response is "Thanks Papa, we'll keep hearing confessions".

This is gonna make the SSPX situation a bit confusing after the Holy Year. They haven't changed anything, so are they okay now, or just when the year starts? And then do they stop being okay?

Also, what about matrimony?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Worthleast posted:

Also, what about matrimony?

Still invalid and illicit as far as Canon Law is concerned, since the validity of Matrimony is predicated on having the bishop's authority behind it. Don't think that's going to change until/unless the SSPX is in full communion with the Holy See again.

Though I have to say, I think the SSPX is really abusing the principle of ecclesia supplet when they say it applies to their confessions; as I understand it, it's meant to apply in situations of genuine ignorance or identifiable doubt rather than to situations where there's definite canonical irregularity. But I'm not a canon lawyer, so I may very well be wrong on this point.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
How does that even work? I assume quite a few SSPX priests were ordained by the bishops consecrated without permission from the Pope. From what I understand, Rome does not consider those consecrations valid, so those people are not bishops according to Rome. If they aren't bishops, then they obviously can't ordain priests, so those ordinations are invalid as well. Only a priest can celebrate Mass or receive confession, and I doubt that the Pope is saying laymen can do these things. What am I missing here?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
If a validly ordained bishop went with SSPX and that bishop ordained a priest or bishop, that ordination (or any sacrament they oversaw) would be valid but illicit, from what I understand.

Though gain IANA(canon)L

Not the greatest resource but the wikipedia article makes sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valid_but_illicit#Holy_orders

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 3, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

Expect an inflated, exaggerated reaction from the American press, if you haven't seen it already.

Liberal outlets are surprised to learn that abortion is still considered a sin by Francis. Conservative outlets' reaction is also predictable. Meanwhile, as far as I know, Orthodox priests could do this without consulting anyone since forever.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Not exactly - it has a major taste of it (Grundtvig was a Lutheran, after all), but as was mentioned it's as much about the role of the Church in people's lives and the approach the priest should take to preaching as it is about the nature of God. It's an essentially organisational argument based on Lutheran theology, with major cultural and practical implications (Christ's Mission becomes popular enlightenment as much as it is religious proselytism, for instance)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

if they actually said that, that would be donatism

No, it's not that they can't validly absolve because they're bad people, or because the bishop who ordained them was a bad person, but because for Catholics a valid absolution requires faculties from the bishop, which the SSPX by definition don't have. (Well, from Rome's point of view; the SSPX agrees that normally faculties are required, but proposes that this situation is unusual and their absolutions are valid anyway.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

some of the bureaucratic legal stuff you guys talk about sounds like just the most tedious crap. sanctioning someone for performing something they aren't supposed to makes sense, but putting the burden onto all believers of "lol make sure your confession was valid according to these 68 Catholic laws from hundreds of years ago" seems incredibly cruel and paternalistic

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some of the bureaucratic legal stuff you guys talk about sounds like just the most tedious crap. sanctioning someone for performing something they aren't supposed to makes sense, but putting the burden onto all believers of "lol make sure your confession was valid according to these 68 Catholic laws from hundreds of years ago" seems incredibly cruel and paternalistic

If Luther had his way you'd still be doing confession, you know.

:jiggled:

And really, confession is pretty great. The legalism that is being discussed makes a lot of sense, too, re: the theology behind everything. And if it makes you feel better, God always forgives a person who confesses with a contrite heart, whether or not they do it the "right" way. It's all about intent as far as the parishioner is concerned.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 3, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

making things clearer is good, and isn't it crueller to tell people that they're damned no matter what they do, unless they make some sort of leap of faith?

and the burden is never on the ignorant, there's always something that says "if you don't know that this is what's going on it's not a sin."

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

HEY GAL posted:

to tell people that they're damned no matter what they do, unless they make some sort of leap of faith?

I assume you refer to original sin and sola fide but I hope you do know the above isn't a teaching in any major churches, as far I know.

Leaps of faith can be a thing but they're a result of Holy Spirit's work as much as any other form of faith. There's a world of difference in telling people that "you need to start believing" versus "all this has been done for you" (and letting the faith bloom if it's going to).

quote:

and the burden is never on the ignorant, there's always something that says "if you don't know that this is what's going on it's not a sin."

I'm a big fan of the line in Romans 2: "All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. " (NIV). The starting chapters of Romans makes the following words of grace all the sweeter. I can never understand how the Orthodox Churches seem to (from my point of view) ignore them so easily. But that's ultimately about original sin so yeah.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

It helps to remember that a lot of this stuff was formulated specifically because the Church established, in the wake of the Donatist heresy, that it was specifically the validity of the form and the disposition of the faithful receiving the sacrament that determined whether it was effective, so that the faithful could be assured that even if their priest was a drunkard and a scoundrel, their own spiritual life wasn't in danger because of it as long as he adhered to the formal guidelines for the Sacraments; it's a way for people to know objectively rather than depending on the interior state of the priest, which they can never know. It seems really bureaucratic to us, but as Hey Gal said, the Canon Law provides a massive exception for those who aren't aware of what's going on, and for those who are, it provides either the assurance that their sacramental life is good or a grounds for redress from the local bishop.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

making things clearer is good, and isn't it crueller to tell people that they're damned no matter what they do, unless they make some sort of leap of faith?

nobody is saying that besides you

and maybe luigi, but lol at that guy

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
See you at the fair this weekend :)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
A friend of mine on Facebook is an extremely conservative Catholic. (zonohedron, he makes you look like Hans Kung!)* He posted an article about the KY woman's decision to refuse to follow the Supreme Court decision, as in the one specifically against her, to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The article began with the argument that like St. Thomas Moore, her duty was to resign. I was a little surprised, because it was, for this guy, pretty tame. Then it went on how, like St. Thomas Moore, she would be followed, even into her life as a citizen, and even for "living her faith with her thoughts in private" they would be coming for her in orange suits. I was like... there we go.

*zonohedron, to be clear, I really like your posts and am very glad you participate in this thread

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
(Full disclosure: I'm only slightly more liberal, most days, than zonohedron on theology.)

To be completely fair to that guy....That's not an uncommon fear among traditional Catholics, that society is only a few short steps from open persecution of those disagreeing with the societal consensus. How far that persecution will go? Well, there opinions vary greatly.

To me, mind you, it's not really a well-founded fear as things stand, but given the American history of anti-Catholicism (Hi, Blaine Amendments and Know-Nothings! And those are just the famous bits!) it's not completely insane either, to think that traditional Catholics have reasons to fear persecution.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

But she's not a Catholic. Her denomination is one no one's ever cared about and seems to be superficially similar to reformed anglicanism.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I don't think it is out-there to worry that society might reach a point where people religious ministers need to marry certain oppressed classes. It would likely never happen in the US, with its religious zeitgeist, but the Scandinavian countries? Maybe within my lifetime. (I'm mid-twenties), though I honestly don't think it'll happen. I do, however, think it's a little out there to think people who believe that same-sex marriage is incompatible with orthodox Catholicism (which I assent to because of my understanding of deference to Magisterial authority) will be persecuted to the point of becoming an actual oppressed class of people, like, say, Jews in Europe. Just to clarify.

I edited this post to correct a serious misunderstanding.

Edit:

Jaramin posted:

But she's not a Catholic. Her denomination is one no one's ever cared about and seems to be superficially similar to reformed anglicanism.

We know, we're discussing what a person should have done, and would later experience, from our Catholic perspective.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 4, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Everyone focuses on explicit government persecution cause it's sexier to be an oppressed minority than just facing growing societal pressure against your worldview

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Well, the Circumcellions were anathematized a long time ago - martyrdom is good and honorable, but actively inviting persecution upon yourself is not cool. As one sees with the ancient pagan officials who converted, if your job requires you to act in ways that are contrary to the faith, you quit. If they let you go, great. It's only a real stand for the faith if you're pursued after that.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Everyone focuses on explicit government persecution cause it's sexier to be an oppressed minority than just facing growing societal pressure against your worldview

The perception of losing power is terrifying, becoming "the persecuted" gives more power, but in a way truly backward to the way I believe Christ meant. I don't, however, think everyone who thinks to themselves, "the world hates this, but I am still Loved" do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don't think it is out-there to worry that society might reach a point where people with authority to marry need to marry certain oppressed classes

yes, it's a travesty that government employees might be forced to marry blacks or queers, and that they won't be allowed to hold hostage the legal benefits of other people based on their own personal religious fundamentalism

• Locked thread