Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

There's almost no humor to speak of (whereas Painful had a bunch of dark comedy to cut the nastiness), the world is more hosed than usual since you're killing everyone in it, and the final boss fight consists of a crazed, drug-addicted little girl brutalizing the hallucinated bodies of her brother and father while they attempt to hold and comfort her. It's pretty hosed up!

Okay, fair enough! The lack of humor is a huge factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

As much as I love 666 Kill Chop Deluxe, I think my new favorite song in the OST has to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTKOah18x0g

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bleh Ding really should have went with his gut and included other party members for LtJ. It'd be a little difficult to work into the story i'm sure though.

I think I need something slow between between playing Phantom Pain so I think i'm gonna have to play OFF and Hylics. Any other super weird RPGs out there I should try?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I don't use Joy and I haven't on this run because I figured it wasn't really necessary to me. The party I've started with (Terry, Nern, and Olan) has been pretty solid and they've lasted me all the way to where I am now. I just used them to take out someone called Satan about 10 minutes ago. I'm pretty sure I'm at the point of no return since it's saying as much. I'll see how this goes because it's been a really entertaining ride for the most part.

Edit: Haha, wow, that was on the soul-crushing side of things.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
The strongest party is definitely Terry, Olan, and Birdie. They also say the saddest poo poo at the end, Especially Terry.

Mexicat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 1, 2015

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Any party that can inflict all 4 dots and blind is good.

The duffle bag hobo is an ugly boring kickstarter backer character but his moveset is super solid.

fuepi fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 1, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Bleh Ding really should have went with his gut and included other party members for LtJ. It'd be a little difficult to work into the story i'm sure though.

Instead of killing him, Big Lincoln joins you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mexicat posted:

The strongest party is definitely Terry, Olan, and Birdie. They also say the saddest poo poo at the end, Especially Terry.

Replace Olan with Fly or Harvey and you'd be right. Either of them can cause significant damage with damage over time abilities (multiple in Fly's case) which does just as much if not more than raw damage depending on the enemy's max HP, plus the ability to prevent them from doing anything with debuffs like Confusion or Paralysis.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You guys are forgetting Mad Dog.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Making me feel bad about Buzzo was the most surprising part of Joyful.

Having hallucinations as other party members would have ruled because it's not like there isn't a precedent for fighting with things that aren't real.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

My first run had my quickly luck into the best party of Fly, Birdie and Harvey.

Then I realized that Fly is a huge jerk and swapped him out for Shocklord.

Shocklord is the best. :unsmith:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Amgard posted:

My first run had my quickly luck into the best party of Fly, Birdie and Harvey.

Then I realized that Fly is a huge jerk and swapped him out for Shocklord.

Shocklord is the best. :unsmith:

he's like a diesel firebomb, every turn, with a 30% chance of missing per target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

Eh, it felt a little forced. Buzzo was by far the most hateful bastard in the first game, and for him to just turn around and say "well, I feel SUPER bad about that" didn't really do it for me

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Ezzer posted:

Eh, it felt a little forced. Buzzo was by far the most hateful bastard in the first game, and for him to just turn around and say "well, I feel SUPER bad about that" didn't really do it for me

Haha, yeah, this. Buzzo having a redemptive arc is ridiculous; that dude had to cooperate with a plan to destroy the world, then assemble a and manage a gang, such that he could ambush, torture, and maim Brad. That's some premeditation right there, a serious commitment to viciousness, and not comparable to what any other character in the game has got going on. Writing it off as misguided grief and love is absurd. It would be like Yado monologuing about how he did it all so that Brad and Buddy could realize the value of their special relationship before getting killed off.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, it's like he spent all this time obsessed preparing his great revenge, and once he finally does it and has his defeated enemy as some sort of sick pet he starts realizing how worthless it all was. I think it's fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I dunno, it's like he spent all this time obsessed preparing his great revenge, and once he finally does it and has his defeated enemy as some sort of sick pet he starts realizing how worthless it all was. I think it's fine.

Not only that, he realizes he's pushed Buddy into the same cycle of abuse, abandonment, and hatred that he tried and failed to save Lisa from.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haha, yeah, this. Buzzo having a redemptive arc is ridiculous; that dude had to cooperate with a plan to destroy the world, then assemble a and manage a gang, such that he could ambush, torture, and maim Brad. That's some premeditation right there, a serious commitment to viciousness, and not comparable to what any other character in the game has got going on. Writing it off as misguided grief and love is absurd. It would be like Yado monologuing about how he did it all so that Brad and Buddy could realize the value of their special relationship before getting killed off.

I wouldn't say he redeemed himself at all, and I don't think the game is trying to convey that either. It's just trying to convey how he's basically in the same situation as Brad and Buddy and Lisa and even Marty. Cycle of abuse and such.

It also works as an excellent contrast to Yado turning out to be a weak and spineless coward who thinks himself superior to everyone else.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Far from redeeming himself, it turned out that (in the very end) Buzzo was, indeed, a horrific monster. Literally. And Buddy has to put him out of his pathetic misery.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Far from redeeming himself, it turned out that (in the very end) Buzzo was, indeed, a horrific monster. Literally. And Buddy has to put him out of his pathetic misery.

He puts himself out of his own misery. He literally eats himself in the second phase of his boss fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game might make you feel somewhat bad for Buzzo but at least Yado gets the fate he deserves.

Genocyber posted:

As much as I love 666 Kill Chop Deluxe, I think my new favorite song in the OST has to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTKOah18x0g

Agreed. Love that brass beat :sax:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I really like this interpretation, I didn't think about it like this but it makes sense.

I also like how during the entirety of the first game, you wanted desperately to kill that bastard, but once you do actually get to kill him it doesn't even feel worth it.

Also yes the final boss music is loving great, and probably my favorite in the game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Buzzo just works better as a flat character, in my opinion. He's an elemental force in LtP, a simple fact of life, and he works to inform the setting in that regard. Some people are always going to be loving cruel pricks because they can, and sometimes those are the people in control. Life isn't fair, but you still have to contend with it. It enriches Brad's quest. Making him a character with a token amount of depth and exploring his (already pretty obvious) motivation, giving him even the little character arc he gets, it just doesn't add anything that isn't adequately and more satisfactorily elaborated elsewhere, and it diminishes his value as a character in that other manner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yado already fills the slot of being the flat character that is just a sadistic bastard though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Eh, Yado honestly shouldn't have been in the game any more than he was in LtP. His whole background is really dumb and was best left vague.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Lisa: The Joyful feels like the Epilogue chapter in the final Dark Tower novel, in that it seems unnecessary and sort of detracts from the previous experience, but was probably included because the creator felt that fans would want answers to some of their questions.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Going through the Joyful right now. Based on how she plays so far, I dig the timing with Buddy's attacks. Bleed's already a strong status effect and the fact that she can keep it up whenever she wants is good. The story so far is interesting since Buddy's finally stopped putting up with everyone's attitude and is now carving a path. I also found where Terry used to be at before he met Brad and now taking him out during the finale seems even more awful in retrospect.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You are going to get really goddamn tired of Buddy's timing since it's the only attack you get the entire thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A Bystander posted:

I also found where Terry used to be at before he met Brad and now taking him out during the finale seems even more awful in retrospect.

That whole area was "Awww man" incarnate.

But at least the mask is nice, the legend never dies. :unsmith:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Joyful really should have had party members, and a few more skills for Buddy. The timing specific skill is fine on its own, but not as literally her only attack. A low-damaging AOE and maybe some kind of medium-damage surefire attack would have been nice to mix it up a little.

And there are ways to make party members make sense in the story. Hell, make Buddy chain up defeated dudes and use them as meatshields.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Finished painful today brad did nothing wrong (mostly)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Joyful really should have had party members, and a few more skills for Buddy. The timing specific skill is fine on its own, but not as literally her only attack. A low-damaging AOE and maybe some kind of medium-damage surefire attack would have been nice to mix it up a little.

And there are ways to make party members make sense in the story. Hell, make Buddy chain up defeated dudes and use them as meatshields.

Yeah just drag Sindy Gallows around, best teammate.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Doctor Goat posted:

The only thing I disliked about that, was his connection to Lisa. I'm disappointed they went down the teen romance road with them. I know the way it's presented, she's blatantly manipulating him, but it still felt kind of an obvious thing to do. Didn't expect her to essentially be the one responsible for setting Buzzo on the path to monsterdom though, that was a surprise

Other than that, LtJ really underlines that the game is about the cycle of hurt and abuse. Though it stabs itself in the foot by suggesting the way to break it lies in killing everyone.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Killing everyone isn't remotely what it says is the way to break the cycle. Brad killed everyone and it got him no where. You break the cycle by coming to terms with your past and not trying to run from it with drugs like Brad did.

VaginalErection
May 6, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Killing everyone isn't remotely what it says is the way to break the cycle. Brad killed everyone and it got him no where. You break the cycle by coming to terms with your past and not trying to run from it with drugs like Brad did.

Actually, I think the message is far more nihilistic. Buddy never manages to break the cycle of abuse, especially once you pick up on the implication of who the father of her child is and how she accomplished getting pregnant.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who is the father?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

VaginalErection posted:

Actually, I think the message is far more nihilistic. Buddy never manages to break the cycle of abuse, especially once you pick up on the implication of who the father of her child is and how she accomplished getting pregnant.

Yeah, who's the father?

The ending shows Buddy significantly older with an infant child, ruling out anyone we know. Y'know, because everyone we know is dead.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Amgard posted:

Yeah, who's the father?

The ending shows Buddy significantly older with an infant child, ruling out anyone we know. Y'know, because everyone we know is dead.

I thought it was that one guy you meet who doesn't care who you are, but then I went back to him and he'd hung himself, so...

On a related note, has anyone worked out who Sweetheart is yet?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

maybe the father is the character featured in the ending titled The Father? disturbing and creepy but i guess if the answer is supposed to be "obvious" then brad is still around and hanging out with buddy in that ending.

VaginalErection
May 6, 2005

Amgard posted:

Yeah, who's the father?

Buddy has Yado's horn, mutant brad, and a black haired child. She used Yado's horn to make mutant Brad impregnate her.. it's what I took away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Other than that, LtJ really underlines that the game is about the cycle of hurt and abuse. Though it stabs itself in the foot by suggesting the way to break it lies in killing everyone.

I don't see how it says that at all. Buddy's murder adventure was, ultimately, pointless. She didn't accomplish anything through it other than a temporary sense of satisfaction. Olathe is basically a wasteland filled with corpses and mutants now, so what does ruling over it get her? Nothing. And along the way she lost one of the only people that truly cared about her.

• Locked thread