Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

bowser posted:

This entire page (click and drag w/ your mouse).

thanks this left douche tracks on my screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

blarzgh posted:

I think iconoclasm, like anything, is only good in moderation. The barrier between healthy cynicism, and rejection for its own sake is where thoughtfulness turns to petulance, and where selfishness masquerades and selflessness.

hmmm yes

i know some of these words

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

Ladies and gents, the future

Who goes to their graduation ceremony? Stupid millennials who decided to have helicopter parents, that's who! :cawg:

Anyway, judging by what I've heard about them, this is probably them

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I'm in favor of mocking any identifiable group, but I am amazed at how unaware each "generation" is of themselves. It kills me that they can sell baby boomers adult diapers and life insurance with the same "you're special, not like your parents" message that they've used to market to the boomers for the last 40 years. I grew up in the '80s, and we all showed how independent and free of marketing we were by wearing identical costumes to the punk shows sold to us through ticketmaster.

I'm 45, and most of the folks in my office are right out of school. They seem to have their poo poo together no more or no less then we did at that age. I think lack of self awareness, an inflated ego and self-importance are what see you through until you've acquired enough of a skill base to stand on your history. If I was aware of how much of a tool I was when I was younger I'd have been unable to function. When I'm 65 I will probably think that about how I am now.

At least the millennials are less casually racist and homophobic that my generation. Hell of a lot more crying at work than I'm comfortable with, however...

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

winnydpu posted:

I'm in favor of mocking any identifiable group, but I am amazed at how unaware each "generation" is of themselves. It kills me that they can sell baby boomers adult diapers and life insurance with the same "you're special, not like your parents" message that they've used to market to the boomers for the last 40 years. I grew up in the '80s, and we all showed how independent and free of marketing we were by wearing identical costumes to the punk shows sold to us through ticketmaster.

I'm 45, and most of the folks in my office are right out of school. They seem to have their poo poo together no more or no less then we did at that age. I think lack of self awareness, an inflated ego and self-importance are what see you through until you've acquired enough of a skill base to stand on your history. If I was aware of how much of a tool I was when I was younger I'd have been unable to function. When I'm 65 I will probably think that about how I am now.

At least the millennials are less casually racist and homophobic that my generation. Hell of a lot more crying at work than I'm comfortable with, however...

This sort of contrary thinking has no loving place in this thread.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

winnydpu posted:

:frogout:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I just want to fit in

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got a 25 on my ACT, didn't use a calculator on the math part either :smug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't use a calculator on my act cause I didn't bring one :smith:

Don't remember what I got exactly but it was high enough for automatic acceptance into state schools

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I came in 2nd at my primary school's cross country day two years in a row. loving Erin, you fast oval office.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Gimme a start-date-end-date for millenials.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Start: The day after I was born

End: Whenever I feel a new group that offends my ancient sensibilities emerges.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I think its a lack of maturity, or a strong sense of self and right vs. wrong that causes young people to adopt these cultural markers as shortcuts to "identity." I think hardships and disappointments contribute to personal growth, and that the underlying culture of "identity" abhors and actively protests the sort of life lessons that would teach them how dumb and hollow their belief system really is.

Good read, btw.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Basically it starts when the kids who really grew up with the internet were born, so sometime early 80s. Though there is a big distinction between the kids who grew up with AOL instant messenger and GeoCities, and the kids who grew up with Facebook and Twitter (as in the latter group turned into a bunch of spineless pussies who bend over backwards to accept every type of pervert and malefactor under the sun into the mainstream).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Ages 15 - 30, I think.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

notZaar posted:

Basically it starts when the kids who really grew up with the internet were born, so sometime early 80s. Though there is a big distinction between the kids who grew up with AOL instant messenger and GeoCities, and the kids who grew up with Facebook and Twitter (as in the latter group turned into a bunch of spineless pussies who bend over backwards to accept every type of pervert and malefactor under the sun into the mainstream).

old folks just don't get it

*puts on his dolphin fursuit*

((((((dolphin fur glomp))))))

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

1982 - 1999. I can't remember what late 70s-very early 80s is called but we're basically a super generation that is better than everyone else.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

1982 - 1999. I can't remember what late 70s-very early 80s is called but we're basically a super generation that is better than everyone else.

Surely that is the Greatest Generation (1910-1925)

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

I read an article that called us The Oregon Trail Generation. Basically we're good for siphoning away Boomer dollars so the Millennials can spend it on Minecraft Otherkin Parties.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bobcats posted:

I read an article that called us The Oregon Trail Generation. Basically we're good for siphoning away Boomer dollars so the Millennials can spend it on Minecraft Otherkin Parties.
This is a revelation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bobcats posted:

That's where I got it from! We had a different game here called Gumboots Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIoYDwFl9Go

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

As an eigthy-oner this delights me.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-07/sat-scores-decline-for-2014-high-school-class-as-act-grabs-share

"Uhh, this test shows that we're getting dumber and lazier."
"Man gently caress tht test we dont need it to tell us weer smart. Lets just not take it anymore."

this is not why they dropped the test. they dropped the test to make more money.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Rich 70-year-old who voted for ppl that racked up trillions in debt, expecting millenials to pay for it: "YOU'RE LAZY! LAZY!"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"many millenials see themselves as self-absorbed"

lol

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

That's where I got it from! We had a different game here called Gumboots Australia.

Man that looks superior to Oregon Trail.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

As an eigthy-oner this delights me.

The cut off for Gen X is usually 1978, so there are a good 4 years of inbetweeners.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Squashy Nipples posted:

The cut off for Gen X is usually 1978, so there are a good 4 years of inbetweeners.

It's great. We got all the cynicism of gen x and all the narcissism and laziness of millennials. It really makes for some incredibly interesting and hosed up people.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

I get this but it seems to me that the problem isnt located in the millenials themselves but instead its the culture they exist in lacking any alternative value systems to consumption. Consuption-as-achievement has become the only widely recognized value system, so identity and social positioning is determined by the sign value of commodites you consume. seen literally anywhere on the internet but close to home in any "If you like (consumable product) you are a (negative/positive identity marker)" gbs thread.

what seems different to me of this view from your view is that this bundling of consumption with identity doesnt come from the self, but comes from policing by the Other. this is what i think fuels the small-scale conspicuous consumption you see in people taking photographs of meals or posting statuses about listening to song X. the narcissism of these displays is not driven by an internal sense of self-exceptionalism but from having your hand forced into playing the only game in town. no individual can elect to not have their identity and social positioning determined by the Other based on the sign value of their consumption, so what reason does a contemporary individual have to not leverage this sign value to positively influence social position?

the obvious answer is an intrinsic set of strongly held internal values that are otherwise oriented, which i think is something worth developing but i cant blame a social mammal for following the pull of reinforcement, status gain, and herd instincts.

Maybe this is what you are getting at but what I'm getting from your posts is more of a 'there is something wrong with millenials' vs 'there is something wrong with the cultural framework/ value system millenials exist in', which is a distinction i think is worth making but maybe you dont/ maybe thats what you were saying all along.

herer read this for the long better version of what i was saying

http://thenewinquiry.com/?essays=the-resentment-machine

i think you have your terms mixed. these people are investing in the Self defined by the system at large because they have no actual connection with any Other; no idea of a thing that isn't them or something exactly like them. they have no idea of an outside world of things that have independent existences, arcs of happenstance that don't intersect with theirs or intersect only barely. this prevents them from having any real internal experience as well (an interiority as an infolding of the outside). instead they engage only with a Self-generation machine that imposes certain pre-existing cartesian coordinates on every facet of their identity; and any facet that starts to squeeze out of these coordinates is immediately isolated as a threat-factor and ostracized.

other than that i think we basically agree.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

We had a different game here called Gumboots Australia.

LOL

can you go waltzing matilda?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nomadologique posted:

LOL

can you go waltzing matilda?

Can you french fries hamburger nascar liberty cotton eyed joe?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

none of those things is a thing that actual laborers did in actual america

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nomadologique posted:

none of those things is a thing that actual laborers did in actual america

You're going to have to tell me about Waltzing Matilda then because as soon as they stop forcing us to sing it in school 99% of Australians scrub it from their brain.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) with one's belongings in a "Matilda" (swag) slung over one's back.

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagman

quote:

Particularly during the Depression of the 1890s and the Great Depression of the 1930s, unemployed men travelled the rural areas of Australia on foot, their few meagre possessions rolled up and carried in their swag. Typically, they would seek work in farms and towns they travelled through, and in many cases the farmers, if no permanent work was available, would provide food and shelter in return for some menial task.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh you loving arsehole I've got it stuck in my head now.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

sorry i just sing the Tom Waits version to myself

you should try that one instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkThaBWa5c

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The Last Pyschiatrist wrote lots of good stuff on millenials, narcissism, and class tensions:

Hipsters on Food Stamps, Part 2

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Analytic Engine posted:

The Last Pyschiatrist wrote lots of good stuff on millenials, narcissism, and class tensions:

quote:

It's a simple thesis and no one wants to hear it: hipsters may lack drive, but the world they live in wasn't set up by them, it was set up by their parents, i.e. the Dumbest Generation Of Narcissists In The History Of The World, the ones who magnified the importance and cost of college without having any idea of what should be its purpose, let alone its content.

YEA

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Analytic Engine posted:

Holy poo poo that is the longest sustained whine I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
This is all you need to know from that Hipsters on Foodstamps Part 2 gibberish.

• Locked thread