Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

It is, of course, also a war crime. It's always baffled me that people were suitably horrified about Dresden but the bombings in Japan were more horrifying and destructive by several orders of magnitude, yet it's been passed off as "a necessity".

I think what happened was that the atomic bombings ended up getting so much press that it caused the Tokyo firebombing to get somewhat buried. It was worse than either bombing. Germany didn't have a similar headline-catching moment, so the firebombing campaign was allowed to shine through a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Let's not discuss the sanctity of real life war crimes in a thread about video games, please.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah bad decision making on my part.

I'm thinking about an event mod for Stellaris to mirror Sunset Invasion about a third Rome human empire with various slave castes bases on the Lost Legion. The legion fell into an absurdly improbable wormhole and appeared on another world, where they swiftly enslaved the aliens there and are now a system-spanning society of rear end in a top hat dictators.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah bad decision making on my part.

I'm thinking about an event mod for Stellaris to mirror Sunset Invasion about a third Rome human empire with various slave castes bases on the Lost Legion. The legion fell into an absurdly improbable wormhole and appeared on another world, where they swiftly enslaved the aliens there and are now a system-spanning society of rear end in a top hat dictators.

The sequel which focuses on English longbowmen instead has more of the whole "humans coming back with supertech" business, but this is what I thought of when you mentioned space legions!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I watched some gameplay videos of Hoi4. It almost looks not terrible. It's all still the automation and billions of provinces I hated from Hoi3, but with a good interface. It's like they took all the good ideas that were horribly implemented in hoi3 and are actually implementing them in intuitive and maybe even fun ways. Like it looks so easy to just draw a front and assign units to it. It almost looks to be shaping up into a decent game! I just hope politics/alliances are better than Hoi3. Half the fun I had in hoi2 was setting up alt-history societies with unique politics. A few generic named but meaningless political camps didn't do anything for me. Why can't I be a democratic and open communist society with my own alliance of like-minded countries?

Also sorry if this has been already asked and I'm sure there's a million grognards mad about it but can we switch away from the animated units to proper counters in Hoi4?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 3, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I keep forgetting how pretty it is, it's actually really impressive. They nailed the style for the map and I hope they stick to something like it in the future.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm having trouble running Kaiserreich, whenever I click start new game it crashes to desktop.

My DH is 1.3 and Kaiserreich 1.6, are they incompatible?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Affi posted:

I'm having trouble running Kaiserreich, whenever I click start new game it crashes to desktop.

My DH is 1.3 and Kaiserreich 1.6, are they incompatible?

1.6 needs the 1.04 beta I believe.

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!

Baronjutter posted:

Also sorry if this has been already asked and I'm sure there's a million grognards mad about it but can we switch away from the animated units to proper counters in Hoi4?

The ability to switch from animated mans and Paradox style counters to NATO counters has been confirmed for those who aren't a fan of 100 foot tall soldiers rampaging across the globe.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Krill Nye posted:

The ability to switch from animated mans and Paradox style counters to NATO counters has been confirmed for those who aren't a fan of 100 foot tall soldiers rampaging across the globe.

I thought that was just for the icons below the figure?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, you can change the helmet/tank icons to NATO symbols, but that's it. No HOI3 style counters, and the 3d men stay on the map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, you can change the helmet/tank icons to NATO symbols, but that's it. No HOI3 style counters, and the 3d men stay on the map.
:barf: I unironincally wont be able to stand that.

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!
Well that's too bad, I thought they entirely replaced the sprite. Why wouldn't they let us do that? :paradox:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

ArchangeI posted:

This is a conversation that always brings out the most sane people, we should have it here in this thread right now.

it's good to talk about history in the history game thread

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Samog posted:

it's good to talk about history in the history game thread
Not that history it isnt.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The 3d models don't even show up until you get zoomed way the hell in. Like, way closer than you'd actually ever play the game kind of zoom. I don't see what the problem is exactly.

As far as the millions of counties/provinces, again it seems like they are grouped together for things like missions and production and things of that nature. It seems like the fine detail of them is mostly for combat maneuvers/fronts/etc, which seems reasonably fine to me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The 3d models don't even show up until you get zoomed way the hell in. Like, way closer than you'd actually ever play the game kind of zoom. I don't see what the problem is exactly.

Do most people really not zoom in that close? I've never played a Hearts of Iron game but in EU4 I'm zoomed in close enough to see the models all the time. Usually, even. I never really understood the complaint about 'they're 5km tall!' though, it's just like a boardgame.

I think they said you can mod the models out fairly easily, incidentally. Hopefully without changing the checksum.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Why can't I be a democratic and open communist society...?

You should ask this question in D&D.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Koramei posted:

Do most people really not zoom in that close? I've never played a Hearts of Iron game but in EU4 I'm zoomed in close enough to see the models all the time. Usually, even. I never really understood the complaint about 'they're 5km tall!' though, it's just like a boardgame.

Just depends on the player I guess, I tend to stay pretty zoomed out once my nation is sufficiently big in EU4. Also depends on the part of the world since in some areas things are very dense and in others they are very spread out. I was mostly judging based on the recent screenshots where it looks like there aren't models even at a pretty comfortable zoom.

I don't really get the complaints about the models either myself, it's not like the info box goes away when the models appear or anything.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
The changes in IC, particularly around dockyards, make historical sense. And I can appreciate that one is no longer able to stick massive factory complexes in the middle of nowhere, as disappointing as it is. I love building IC - it makes me feel like I'm being a good steward of my country and preparing it for the future. Going IC-heavy can also be a good strategy for countries with low manpower.

Not sure about the whole strategic bombing IC repair business. It strikes me as something that could be abused against the AI, and something that would become another piece of annoying micromanagement when the AI continues to send asinine bomber swarms hither and thither that seem impossible to slay or to deter properly.

It'll make an early Seelöwe much more necessary, except I'm sure it'll still trigger an instant Stalin DoW like in HoI3 - regards of how well positioned the USSR is for it. And it'd certainly be harder to do that with what amounts to a massive nerf to Germany's ability to magic up a fleet of aircraft carriers from its (presumably) heavily limited shipbuilding capability.

But I can't support the lack of counters. Come on, guys! They were literally designed for exactly this sort of thing.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

David Corbett posted:

The changes in IC, particularly around dockyards, make historical sense. And I can appreciate that one is no longer able to stick massive factory complexes in the middle of nowhere, as disappointing as it is. I love building IC - it makes me feel like I'm being a good steward of my country and preparing it for the future. Going IC-heavy can also be a good strategy for countries with low manpower.

Not sure about the whole strategic bombing IC repair business. It strikes me as something that could be abused against the AI, and something that would become another piece of annoying micromanagement when the AI continues to send asinine bomber swarms hither and thither that seem impossible to slay or to deter properly.

It'll make an early Seelöwe much more necessary, except I'm sure it'll still trigger an instant Stalin DoW like in HoI3 - regards of how well positioned the USSR is for it. And it'd certainly be harder to do that with what amounts to a massive nerf to Germany's ability to magic up a fleet of aircraft carriers from its (presumably) heavily limited shipbuilding capability.

But I can't support the lack of counters. Come on, guys! They were literally designed for exactly this sort of thing.

It seems like this new IC model will work a lot better to model the historical mass movements of industry and populations during the war. 3 things spring immediately to mind

1. The mass movement of population from the rural south to the American West Coast chasing new shipyard and war industry jobs
2. The evacuation of Soviet factories and workers during Barbarossa
3. The 3rd Reich's mass importation of forced laborers from conquered territories.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's also China's evacuation of industry to the interior.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember Arsenal of Democracy having something close to that and Spain basically becoming useless forever due to the destruction it suffered in the civil war.

Germany was basically ashes in 1945 too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So are the paradox forums still down? Two different browsers on two different computers still gives me "The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

I don't have cookies restricted in any way. Chrome gives a similar error. Both at work and at home, on a PC and a MAC. Did Johan get mad at people ad-blocking the massive ads at the top of the forums and disabled the site to anyone ad-blocking?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 4, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

No, they are up. Same as they were when I posted yesterday.

Try a hard refresh?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

So are the paradox forums still down? Two different browsers on two different computers still gives me "The page isn't redirecting properly"

Try going to accounts.paradoxplaza.com first. It looks like they invalidated everyone's sessions and some people get caught in a "please login" loop that looks like too many redirects. If you go there and log in it seems to shortcircuit the issue.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That fixed it for me, thanks. :toot:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Something must've glitched up when they merged the Pdox accounts with the Wiki accounts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dibujante posted:

Try going to accounts.paradoxplaza.com first. It looks like they invalidated everyone's sessions and some people get caught in a "please login" loop that looks like too many redirects. If you go there and log in it seems to shortcircuit the issue.

I mashed some buttons and finally a login screen came up, re-logged in and now it works. This is great I don't know what I'd do without being able to read the thoughts and opinions on the official forums!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paradox devs saw goons talking about human crimes and mentioning dresden so they immediatly shut down paradoxplaza in fear of seeing worse things there

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Clearing all the forums.paradox cookies solved my identical problem on two different machines.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Mans posted:

paradox devs saw goons talking about human crimes and mentioning dresden so they immediatly shut down paradoxplaza in fear of seeing worse things there

A wise and just decision

I'm about to play Austria in Kaiserreich. I wanna go Danubian Federation but if there's anyone that's played it and knows which route comes with the most excitement/content it'd be cool to know what's going on. KR is a great mod but there is definitely more content in certain nations and decisions than there is in others.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

LaSalsaVerde posted:

A wise and just decision

I'm about to play Austria in Kaiserreich. I wanna go Danubian Federation but if there's anyone that's played it and knows which route comes with the most excitement/content it'd be cool to know what's going on. KR is a great mod but there is definitely more content in certain nations and decisions than there is in others.

Danube Fed is the most interesting path for Austria. Status quo is boring, eventual slow integration is boring, Austria-Hungary I'm not sure about, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have more than the Danube Fed. It's definitely the only way to go syndicalist.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Austria-Hungary is more or less the same as the Danubian Federation, just slightly different types of government open and alliances. Basically the game assumes you're more pro-Germany as Austria-Hungary, while more leftist options are open as Danubia.

fakeedit: but from what I recall, for the majority of their events the two are nigh identical.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Theres also the secret option of defeating Germany and then.. becoming Germany?

Granted, you lose everything outside of Austria, but still, its so.. odd.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I could not be more hard for HOI4. Why the hell did they announce it like 3 years in advance?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

wukkar posted:

I could not be more hard for HOI4. Why the hell did they announce it like 3 years in advance?

Posts for our time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

wukkar posted:

It's been delayed a bunch. Pretty sure when they announced it they thought it would have been released some time ago.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry to keep asking about the paradox forums but I'm JUST getting on the hoi4 hype train today and I notice all the pictures are missing from the developer diaries. Did those vanish when they hosed up the forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry to keep asking about the paradox forums but I'm JUST getting on the hoi4 hype train today and I notice all the pictures are missing from the developer diaries. Did those vanish when they hosed up the forums?

Are you logged in? I remember something being off with the more recent CK2 dev diary pictures when viewing the dev diaries as a guest because of permission shenanigans.

• Locked thread