Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Counties are of varying strength depending on where you live. Massachusetts has incredibly weak county gov't, for example. I think they're basically in charge of prisons and prisoner-work crews, and that's about it.

In Massachusetts, about half the counties have no government anymore and most of the rest are nearly there. But back in the 19th century before they started to be dissolved, they did have the same clerk/sheriff setup. Same thing with Connecticut, though there all the counties lack government and only exist for regional delineation.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I keep hearing this and its tedious. Why does it matter if she gets to play martyr if the rights of gay Americans are concretely protected in the most unambiguous language possible?

The only way to avoid making her a "martyr" was to let her get away with it.

It's this exactly. No matter what happened, the only way she couldn't claim martyr is if the government had thrown up its hands and let her break laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hahha whoever runs gofundme must be cashing out before they make the current Grand Dragon Wizard of Whiteverly place a millionaire and the world notices. I thought the whole point of that site was the anyhing goes nature of it.

Maybe they learned that everything isn't strawberry shortcake and rainbows by letting poo poo heads ruin your brand~~

Like seriously, when you think of GoFundMe, the first thing that used to pop into your mind would have been "low rent Kickstarter". Now it's "that place where people do reprehensible poo poo and get paid for it" because of Ferguson and the plethora of bakeries ran by morons.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Phone posted:

Maybe they learned that everything isn't strawberry shortcake and rainbows by letting poo poo heads ruin your brand~~

Like seriously, when you think of GoFundMe, the first thing that used to pop into your mind would have been "low rent Kickstarter". Now it's "that place where people do reprehensible poo poo and get paid for it" because of Ferguson and the plethora of bakeries ran by morons.

If I were a shittier person I would be starting up a new crowd funding site for racists/homophobes to fill this necessary market niche. Call it something like stormfrontme, take a huge percentage, then buy a giant diesel truck and roll coal all over the concept of a decent society

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Countdown till Breitbart says "While BLM activists kill police officers, OBAMAO is dancing with kids in Alaska"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YZc3k7rdI

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...fire-hoses.html

Todd Starnes is a poo poo bag excuse for a human being.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I could be wrong, but I think there was also the possibility that she just step aside and let some subordinate do it, but refused, so that's why she's in the hot seat.

"It is contrary to my religion. Also letting someone else do it is contrary to my religion."

It's worked so far in anti-contraception ACA cases.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

Christ, what a hack.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FuzzySkinner posted:

quote:

But Gov. Beshear refused to do so – blocking the door to the statehouse much like Alabama Gov. George Wallace blocked the door to the schoolhouse in defiance of racial integration.

Now I'm no expert on logical fallacies, but I think this might be false equivalence. Also, posting this picture of Todd Starnes again because it's important for people to remember what he looks like whenever one of his articles comes up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What is with the right's obsession with equating intolerance for gay rights with the civil rights movement? It's an absurd comparison that would fit well in an Onion article, yet it keeps getting trotted out again and again.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

What is with the right's obsession with equating intolerance for gay rights with the civil rights movement? It's an absurd comparison that would fit well in an Onion article, yet it keeps getting trotted out again and again.

"Not recognizing our right to be complete bigots is an infringement on our rights!"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Motto posted:

They were trying to compare themselves to abolitionists on AFA Radio.

The thing is, their particular brand of christianity and their place of origin lends me to believe they'd have been on the opposite side of that debate.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Not recognizing our right to be complete bigots is an infringement on our rights!"

Like, it's just as silly when they try to frame it as oppression of Christians, but that's at least comparing persecution to (imagined) persecution. But all too often I'm seeing people straight up say that the movement to stop gay marriage is equivalent to the movement to grant and protect the rights of racial minorities. Is oppressing gays really so core to evangelical belief that "ban gay marriage" is completely synonymous in their minds with "protect the right to be Christian"?

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 4, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

Like, it's just as silly when they try to frame it as oppression of Christians, but that's at least comparing persecution to (imagined) persecution. But all too often I'm seeing people straight up say that the movement to stop gay marriage is equivalent to the movement to grant and protect the rights of racial minorities.

Anyone who says that is too stupid to pay attention to on political matters.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Now I'm no expert on logical fallacies, but I think this might be false equivalence. Also, posting this picture of Todd Starnes again because it's important for people to remember what he looks like whenever one of his articles comes up.

Credit to the Goon who noticed the similarities with Nazi doctor from Captain America

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Conservatives desperately want to be a persecuted minority while still having the benefits of being a majority class/sexual identity/race over actual minorities. Basically they can't just be happy having privilege, they also want actual minorities to kiss their rear end and thank them for not making their lives even more miserable and also to not be impolite and talk about anything "unpleasant." Take for instance how not allowing bigots to influence government is just as bad as how black people were/are treated in America but gay people should be happy they aren't being actively murdered like in a third world country.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 4, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

they lack self-awareness, perspective, and are generally extremely whiny idiots

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Plus she is gonna make like 800,000 pre-taxes as one lump sum in exchange for losing her job. That is hardly filthy rich.

What's this? Crowdfunding?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Motto posted:

They can only repeat things which they've seen others say or do, because they have no creativity or imagination.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Conservatives desperately want to be a persecuted minority while still having the benefits of being a majority class/sexual identity/race over actual minorities. Basically they can't just be happy having privilege, they also want actual minorities to kiss their rear end and thank them for not making their lives even more miserable and also to not be impolite and talk about anything "unpleasant." Take for instance how not bigots influence government is just as bad as how black people were/are treated in America but gay people should be happy they aren't being actively murdered like in a third world country.

This. It's not enough to be in charge everyone needs to be constantly back patting you too, it's the same thing that drives fan fiction writers.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Also, for years conservatives have heard gay rights being compared to the civil rights movement which is obviously completely ridiculous because they are The Good Guys so how can they possibly be on the wrong side of the issue? A lot of people legitimately see that comparison as nothing more than a shameless tactic by the left to co-opt the civil rights movement. Trying to turn the analogy around is part of their victim complex but it's also a spiteful jab at leftist rhetoric.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It also functions as a surprisingly effective deflection.

The more time they spend shouting "aren't we the real Rosa Parks here" the more people forget to point out,and the less time they have to spend being reminded, that they're actually Bull Connor.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Radish posted:

Conservatives desperately want to be a persecuted minority while still having the benefits of being a majority class/sexual identity/race over actual minorities. Basically they can't just be happy having privilege, they also want actual minorities to kiss their rear end and thank them for not making their lives even more miserable and also to not be impolite and talk about anything "unpleasant." Take for instance how not allowing bigots to influence government is just as bad as how black people were/are treated in America but gay people should be happy they aren't being actively murdered like in a third world country.

They've looked at the language used by minorities and the oppressed to point out the conditions in which they've had to live, and recognized that those words, and the accompanying actions they gradually led to, were effective in creating societal change. The logical leap is that if they just use the same magic words that made it so that we couldn't say the n-word anymore, then everything will roll back to the way it was in the Good Ole Days.

The right is trying to cast Reverse Counterspell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Leofish posted:

They've looked at the language used by minorities and the oppressed to point out the conditions in which they've had to live, and recognized that those words, and the accompanying actions they gradually led to, were effective in creating societal change. The logical leap is that if they just use the same magic words that made it so that we couldn't say the n-word anymore, then everything will roll back to the way it was in the Good Ole Days.

Yup.
Hence why MLK is only Republican a few days before and after MLK day.
Rest of the year hes 'who?'.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Leofish posted:

So Deflection?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

happyhippy posted:

Yup.

"MLK wouldn't approve of these protests, you uppity negroes :bahgawd:"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Yup.

Not always. Sometimes when he's not a Republican icon he's a notorious Communist sympathizer.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejo...ly-shaming.html

quote:

We Need to Be Able to Call Out Kim Davis’ Bigotry without Slut-Shaming or Hillbilly-Shaming
September 3, 2015 by Libby Anne 722 Comments

By now you’ve probably all heard of Kim Davis, the Rowan County, Kentucky, clear who is refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, arguing that her religious beliefs prevent her from doing so. Critics are calling attention to the fact that Davis was married four times as evidence of hypocrisy. But what I want to call attention to is a slightly different issue.

Earlier today, fellow blogger Matthew Facciani called attention to the ways some of Davis’ detractors have used slut-shaming and/or criticism of Davis’ looks and physical appearance in their criticism of Davis. He pointed to one meme in particular—a photo collage of pictures of Davis with the words “How does someone this ugly get married four times?” printed across it.

There is much to criticize Davis for, and it is absolutely important to call attention to the problems with the narrative she has formed around herself. Davis is refusing to do the job required of her as a public official. If she cannot in good conscience perform her job, she should step down. This is not unlike a Quaker refusing to issue gun permits or a Christian Scientist pharmacist refusing to prescribe medicine.

And yet, Davis is absolutely right to call out attacks that rely on slut-shaming and mocking Davis’ looks as sexist. As he explains in his conclusion:

"It’s great to call out bigotry and mentioning hypocrisy can provide some interesting discussions when done tactfully, but can we please stop slut-shaming and attacking the looks of women that we disagree with? If the point of attacking these people is to demonstrate that we won’t stand for bigotry in this world, then the tactics I’ve mentioned here are failing miserably. We can do better."

Yes, Kim Davis is a bigot, and yes, her four marriages are relevant. But we need to be able to call out her bigotry and discuss her hypocrisy without engaging in bigotry ourselves. As Facciani notes, some have responded to news of Davis’ four marriages and her infidelity by calling her a “slut” and a “whore.” Calling attention to her hypocrisy in relation to her continued denial of same-sex couples’ right to marry is justified; slut-shaming is not. And shaming her for her looks? No.

In this vein, I want to call attention to a related line of attack which I believe should also be avoided. Have a look at this cartoon:

Note the spelling of some of the words and phrases ascribed to Kim Davis—”Ah will not issue marriage licenses to homosexuals because the bahble sez it’s a sin.” These spellings are clearly meant to portray Davis as a redneck, hillbilly, or backcountry hick, and that’s classist. Should we call people out for bigoted beliefs? Absolutely. Should we make fun of the way they talk or mock them for where they’re from? No.

Given that Kim Davis has now been sent to jail for refusing to obey a court order, I suspect we’ll be talking about her for a long time to come. As we engage in those conversations—as we discuss issues of religious freedom and point a finger at homophobia—let’s make an effort to avoid using either sexism or classism in our own critiques. I have to believe we can call out bigotry without engaging in it ourselves.

Someone on my Facebook posted this, they also mentioned we shouldn't celebrate someone getting sucked into the prison system. I thought it was a fairly interesting perspective, from my personal point of view it was a little worrying to see otherwise smart people cheering for someone to be imprisoned.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
IMO there's no reason other than mental masturbation and mollifying the crowd for this kind of idiocy. There might be effects and consequences to saying "the gays are actually the govt part of this civil rights movement" but that's not something that should be able to live outside of the conservative choir.

It makes me angry that this and "my religion says i need to meddle in my employees insurance and you're a bigot for not letting me" is something propped up by enough "real" people that we skip right by the initial "what the gently caress?" and have to get into the reeds with these trolls and proud idiots.

Presidential candidates are running around Iowa right now saying the supreme court can't tell you proud patriots what to do and we need to do something about them and their tyranny, and I'm getting real loving tired of the news pretending thats anything less than a really hilarious career killing gaffe.

Dummies go home.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Making fun of her looks is stupid and (unlike some other major America political parties) won't rise to any significant level among liberalism/the left.

Her marriages are absolutely part of this narrative and deserve to be highlighted because it lays pretty bare exactly how much she cares about marriage as some sacred institution. They're public record for christs sake.

And I don't care about someone being put in the prison system when they literally asked for it and, by all accounts, are being handled with the prison kid gloves reserved for white famous people.

We're long past the need to remind the American left to be polite, we're pretty goddamn polite as is and no one with any power is shooting out "gently caress this slutty ugmo" memes. A bad person is getting a punishment they craved like a drug ohhhhhh noooooo.

Edit: this is not a "the other side does it, so why don't we?" post, but I think we're waaaaaaaaaay too hung up on this sort of thing, when in reality we arent a party that promotes these kinds of insults. Do we have some uncouth people under the tent? Yeah. Are they penning best selling books every year and getting elected to every office from senate on down? No.

So stop acting like the whole party needs to apologize for what johnny dumbass puts on facebook. We should already know its not cool, its highly unlikely someone is going to have the epiphany now that even low hanging fruit like this lady deserve some dignity. Or at least the opportunity to ruin it themselves.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 4, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Someone slut shaming or hill billy shaming should, at most, have someone tell them "thats not very nice". It's not a concern for our politics and not a reason to clutch pearls in a giant article pleading with the internet to stop being the internet.

People are assholes sometimes, even Democrats. Save your energy and figure out how to say it in a tweet because it's not something anyone needs to care about as much as i just did.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kill yourself

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I thought this was ironic until I noticed the LOUDER WITH CROWDER watermark. :sigh:

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I thought this was ironic until I noticed the LOUDER WITH CROWDER watermark. :sigh:

I love how the name of his show practically says he's just going to yell over whatever you have to say / I'm louder therefore right.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Three Olives?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

is crowder one of the morons who thinks the Nazis were realy evil leftists?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is crowder one of the morons who thinks?

Yes

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

(Somebody who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but) anyone could put that watermark on anything, seeing as he's only trademarked his full name, "Steven Crowder," not "Louder with Crowder."

Hint, hint.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

"What screams gay?" asks Crowder

*adds contrasting purple eye shadow and teal eyeliner*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Deep Hurting posted:

(Somebody who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but) anyone could put that watermark on anything, seeing as he's only trademarked his full name, "Steven Crowder," not "Louder with Crowder."

Hint, hint.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I guess Matt Walsh has separate boys and girls bathrooms in his house.