Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Strobe posted:

Put a Proton Torpedo on Wedge.

Tried it; The maths don't support it that well. It denies them 1 Agi (cos you'll fire it at Range 3, otherwise what's the point) but costs you a TL, which you could have used to just shoot Primary more effectively. The 'free' Focus doesn't apply because he's Focussed every turn anyway thanks to Dutch. It's not worth 4 points to him, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Shockeh posted:

Tried it; The maths don't support it that well. It denies them 1 Agi (cos you'll fire it at Range 3, otherwise what's the point) but costs you a TL, which you could have used to just shoot Primary more effectively. The 'free' Focus doesn't apply because he's Focussed every turn anyway thanks to Dutch. It's not worth 4 points to him, sadly.

This is an incredibly lame answer when you have five points you really don't need to make the list good and don't have a firm idea what to do with.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Strobe posted:

This is an incredibly lame answer when you have five points you really don't need to make the list good and don't have a firm idea what to do with.

*Shrug* It is what it is, I'm trying to use the points in a way that improves my odds of winning.

The bomb options were to have greater AOE clearance (dealing with Swarms) considering I'm only running 3 Ships, whilst the other main option is to give Wedge a 'cheeky' Engine Upgrade to keep him in arc, or make him more threatening. The Proton Torpedo was tried, and because of it's limitations of Range and requiring the use of a TL, I found it at best equal and in some cases inferior to just letting Wedge fire his Primary.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm probably biased because I've managed to get the perfect hit on a Soontir a few months back where Wedge one-shot him with a five dice torpedo that he was literally incapable of not exploding against (three hits two crits against two defense dice and no evade token. Thanks Wes. :getin:).

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Last night saw expose Keyan throw four natural hits against a range 3 cloaked whisper through an asteroid. Imperial rolled 5 eyes and a blank on 6 dice and didn't have a focus. Don't ask me why he didn't have a focus. Always have a token. (I think he cloaked instead of barrel rolling out of range, either way 4 green with focus is way better than six without.)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I, for one, am looking forward to welcoming our new X-Wing overlord Poe to the game. He's going to be very tough to kill.

But do I run him with Lone Wolf, or VI?!?!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Push the limit & BB-8 barrel & boost/focus, green manoeuvre then focus/boost. Guy's a nightmare arc dodger.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to welcoming our new X-Wing overlord Poe to the game. He's going to be very tough to kill.

But do I run him with Lone Wolf, or VI?!?!

Definitely PTL. I'm still debating between BB-8 and R5-P9.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So if I want to jump in now, should I buy 2X of the new core, 1 of each, or what? I want Luke and the original ships, but I'll need 2 new decks for my wife and I. I'm going to have to buy 3 core sets aren't I? loving FFG.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I honestly don't know which is stronger- getting to reveal green into barrel roll+boost/TL, while still being able to focus with your normal action seems extraordinarily powerful. You get more action economy, can avoid getting blocked, and can use PTL without limiting your maneuvers next turn. R5P9 does offer absurd survivability though, especially since the t-70 has 3 shields

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

So if I want to jump in now, should I buy 2X of the new core, 1 of each, or what? I want Luke and the original ships, but I'll need 2 new decks for my wife and I. I'm going to have to buy 3 core sets aren't I? loving FFG.
You don't really need two damage decks outside of a tournament setting- I'd start with one of each and then get some other ships.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bottom Liner posted:

Welcome to x-wing. :homebrew:

You don't really need two decks, though, unless you're going to run a tournament at home.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Picked up the new core and some micro machines ships on sale at target. Cheap way to get a close-enough scale Slave I.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Per the tracker, the store near me that had a midnight release was completely sold out of wangs within a few hours. I got to another store around the 8 AM opening and got a set, there were only a couple left at that point.

And got Loopin' Chewie too, of course.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I went WTF's Loopin' Chewie and I am sad they didn't have any when I went this morning (or it was all gone). That thing's rad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Geisladisk posted:

You can't use the pilot cards for the old X-Wing and old TIE Fighter with the new X-Wing and new TIE-Fighter. They're separate ships.

The minis are just repaints aren't they? You can just use the new model with the old pilot card, dials and stand stats can't you?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The minis are just repaints aren't they? You can just use the new model with the old pilot card, dials and stand stats can't you?

No, they're entirely different. The TIE-F is a TIE-FO, and the and the X-Wing is a T-70, not a T-65.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, sorry dude, these aren't like the Z-95s. Totally new ships.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The TIE-FO is only a new model by the slimmest of margins, however.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If someone brought new core set ships and wanted to use them as original units I wouldn't object, but you don't just need the cards to do so, you'd also need the right dials since the default core and Episode 7 core ships have different movement dials and you can't just go "oh well I'll proxy those" as easily.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I wouldn't mind using models of either being used interchangeably but the dials are radically different. Also, if anyone has the new rulebook, see if there's any mention in there about not being able to fit obstacles in the play area. According to some people the new asteroid is even bigger than the old one so I could see cases where you literally can't fit a 6th (or maybe even 5th!) obstacle.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Also, if anyone has the new rulebook, see if there's any mention in there about not being able to fit obstacles in the play area. According to some people the new asteroid is even bigger than the old one so I could see cases where you literally can't fit a 6th (or maybe even 5th!) obstacle.

Nothing in the two new rulebooks about this situation occuring.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LOL well ok. I'm pretty sure it's geometrically possible in a ~2x2 area. I just don't know if having a box in the middle is easier or if it requires the "smallest" obstacle in the middle and 4 surrounding it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Poopy Palpy posted:

The TIE-FO is only a new model by the slimmest of margins, however.

The new X-Wing has a more 'hip futuristic (set in the distant past)' Wing design than the original, like how the engines look.

I'm curious if FFG just repainted the X-Wing or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you mean the TIE fighter, no. The engine slits are placed differently.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jeeves posted:

The new X-Wing has a more 'hip futuristic (set in the distant past)' Wing design than the original, like how the engines look.

I'm curious if FFG just repainted the X-Wing or something.

The T-70 looks a lot like some of the original McQuarrie concept art for the Death Star battle.

Compare:

e: grammer r gud

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 4, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

The T-70 look a lot like some of the original McQuarrie concept art for the Death Star battle.

Star Wars Episode 7: Everything Old is New Again

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tippis posted:

The T-70 looks a lot like some of the original McQuarrie concept art for the Death Star battle.

e: grammer r gud

Right. I was responding to what a lot of people have been saying which is that the TIE fighter is just a repainted mini. It isn't, but you really can't tell it isn't unless you look at two tiny engine slits on the back (they are vertical instead of horizontal), so it doesn't really matter. Too many people have already repainted their ships to look like the new TIE-FOs and FFG has always been pretty liberal with their conversion policies so I can't see this being enforced unless they crack down hard on acceptable aftermarket conversions.

e: lol looks like you changed your post to respond to the right person :3:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 4, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Kai Tave posted:

Star Wars Episode 7: Everything Old is New Again

BB-8 is based on an original design for R2-D2.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

McQuarrie concept art seems to be a never-ending well of "new" concepts

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. I was responding to what a lot of people have been saying which is that the TIE fighter is just a repainted mini. It isn't, but you really can't tell it isn't unless you look at two tiny engine slits on the back (they are vertical instead of horizontal), so it doesn't really matter. Too many people have already repainted their ships to look like the new TIE-FOs and FFG has always been pretty liberal with their conversion policies so I can't see this being enforced unless they crack down hard on acceptable aftermarket conversions.

Oh? I haven't even studied the TIEs — when I see “different engines” in relation to Ep7, I just immediately think about the T-70 and that old painting.

Time to dig up some -FO photos, I guess.

canyoneer posted:

McQuarrie concept art seems to be a never-ending well of "new" concepts
Eh. There are worse wells to draw from and at least it retains the aesthetic.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
http://imgur.com/a/2gLdf

This gallery compares the old and new TIEs, X-Wing, and Asteroids.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tacopocalypse posted:

Thanks! I'm still gonna paint the giant hole in the middle of the TIE as the engine, since it doesn't feel right otherwise. That thing is fast and needs a giant engine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tacopocalypse posted:

Looks like there's a fair amount of difference in the detailing on the pod, too, but you have to look for it. It's more streamlined and less busy in how the pylons connect to the body. Still nothing you'd see at arm's length.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The connecting arm to the TIE panels seems to be thicker so hopefully they feel more sturdy. I was always afraid of snapping the wings off the old TIEs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I like the new midget asteroids. You can do a tallon roll/hard turn and actually go around them both sides without clipping.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Smallest of nickpick ever on imaginary spaceship designs: why does JJ have such a boner for HUGE ENGINEZ BRAH, the JJTrek Enterprise looked amazing except for the huge engines.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 4, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The x wing can now do a T-roll, aka Tokyo roll or "drift." They need oversized engines to do so IMO.

Brobots can do multi-track drifting.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Chill la Chill posted:

The x wing can now do a T-roll, aka Tokyo roll or "drift." They need oversized engines to do so IMO.

poo poo, that explains that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I want the new Stars Wars movie ships to move like the Battlestar Galactica Vipers do complete with sick drifts, thank you very much.

• Locked thread