Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaiho posted:

Hey guys, I've got a random question.

The lady stood with her hands in her pockets in front of the kneeling cameraman: what is her role? What is she doing on the field? There are two photographers (man kneeling, woman almost out of the shot on the right), a cheerleader, and the audience. She seems... out of place. A winner of some sort of "fieldside seats" competition?

Her job could be anything, with anyone related to the game - the teams, the TV broadcast crew, an assistant to anybody on the sideline for any reason.

My guess based on her proximity to the cameraman is that she is his assistant. While he's looking through that telephoto lens at action at the other end of the field, he's very vulnerable to being run over by someone else who is also concentrating on far-away action. She may be there just to be a traffic cone, warning people away when he's occupied taking pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Her job could be anything, with anyone related to the game - the teams, the TV broadcast crew, an assistant to anybody on the sideline for any reason.

My guess based on her proximity to the cameraman is that she is his assistant. While he's looking through that telephoto lens at action at the other end of the field, he's very vulnerable to being run over by someone else who is also concentrating on far-away action. She may be there just to be a traffic cone, warning people away when he's occupied taking pictures.

Gotcha. That makes sense. She can sort of observe both photographers near her.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
If Aldon Smith (teamless) is suspended for X games (let's say, a season or less) and in two years a team decides to pick him up does he have to serve that suspension or is the punishment over?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

If Aldon Smith (teamless) is suspended for X games (let's say, a season or less) and in two years a team decides to pick him up does he have to serve that suspension or is the punishment over?

He serves it with his new team in 2 years.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Can somebody tell me a little about Robert Griffin III? I mean I know what I can from reading the wiki article and other stuff but was he actually ever any good? If you can draw a parallel to the NBA it'd help. Is he like a Derrick Rose type?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
He's a bad quarterback and he doesn't have any friends he doesn't pay.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He's Kyrie Irving if Kyrie gets rushed back from this kneecap thing and then shreds all his ligaments and then gets rushed back from that and his head falls off

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

v2vian man posted:

He's Kyrie Irving if Kyrie gets rushed back from this kneecap thing and then shreds all his ligaments and then gets rushed back from that and his head falls off

This along with completely forgetting how to play the game.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
As a prospect RG3 might be more like Dirk maybe, in the sense that he had very rare skills and could play his position in a way that few guys did. I dunno I'm stretching my basketball knowledge at this point but imagine a guy who plays a given position but can offer you a lot of tools beyond the typical player at that position. So like a point guard who can drive really well or a big man like Dirk who can shoot from anywhere

Then imagine that guy hitting the NBA and just failing to do both the rare stuff and the basic stuff

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

v2vian man posted:

Also the court he plays on is coated with crisco and bear traps.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
RG3 just works there, man

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

El Seano posted:

Can somebody tell me a little about Robert Griffin III? I mean I know what I can from reading the wiki article and other stuff but was he actually ever any good? If you can draw a parallel to the NBA it'd help. Is he like a Derrick Rose type?

Edit: better example rg3 is Jay Williams if Williams still got to play after his motorcycle accident

Metapod fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 29, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
RG3 was really good his rookie year because he played to his strengths. Then he decided he wanted to be a pocket passer and now he sucks really hard. The field he plays on his horrible, he is made of balsa wood, and is incapable of falling down like a normal human.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

RG3 was really good his rookie year because he played to his strengths. Then he decided he wanted to be a pocket passer and now he sucks really hard. The field he plays on his horrible, he is made of balsa wood, and is incapable of falling down like a normal human.

I honestly believe he's shellshocked to some extent. For anyone who hasn't seen it check this out:

Every single receiver is open, the result of this play was RG3 holding on to the ball until he was about to be sacked and then throwing it away. I can't believe rookie RG3 doesn't throw that one to one of the deep guys.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
RG3 was like Allen Iverson, but in the NFL, Shaq gets to tackle you, and welp.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I have a personal RGIII theory.

Pre-November 25, 2013 RGIII (averages)
19/30.5, 237 yards, 1.36 TD/0.6 INT passing
7.5 attempts, 46.5 yards rushing, 7 rushing TD in 25 games

Post-November 25, 2013 RGIII (averages)
16.5/25, 182 yards, 0.5 TD/0.67 INT passing
5 attempts, 27 rush yards per game, 1 rushing TD in 12 games

November 25, 2013 RGII

Poor guy is just deathly afraid of getting kneed in the nuts again :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also the Skins ownership is awful and I'm pretty sure Dan Snyder writes DAN SNYDER GRIFFIN inside a heart in his notebook during team meetings, which is why RGIII is still around despite clearly being your standard great in college Heisman winner that isn't in the NFL any more.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

v2vian man posted:

As a prospect RG3 might be more like Dirk maybe, in the sense that he had very rare skills and could play his position in a way that few guys did. I dunno I'm stretching my basketball knowledge at this point but imagine a guy who plays a given position but can offer you a lot of tools beyond the typical player at that position. So like a point guard who can drive really well or a big man like Dirk who can shoot from anywhere

Then imagine that guy hitting the NBA and just failing to do both the rare stuff and the basic stuff

He was OROY in 2012. He did the rare stuff and the basic stuff really well.

Then he got hurt late in the season, got put back in for another series even though the doctors said he wasn't cleared, and then his knee fell apart in the playoffs after a healthy one full week of rest.

Came back too soon, coaching staff showed no confidence in him, shut him down to prevent injury in a lost season, dislocated his ankle last year, and now he's a deer in headlights. The "he wants to be a pocket passer instead of playing to his strengths" stuff is garbage. He's hurt and got hosed over by the coaching staff and now he's no good to anyone for footballing.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So one of our best rugby league players, Jarryd Hayne, has decided he wants to play NFL. He was an absolute phenomenon over here and is getting headline after headline with how well he is doing trialling with the 49ers. Just wondering what the buzz is over there about him - if there's any at all. It would be one of the great stories if he made it over there and I hope that he does.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

fuckpot posted:

So one of our best rugby league players, Jarryd Hayne, has decided he wants to play NFL. He was an absolute phenomenon over here and is getting headline after headline with how well he is doing trialling with the 49ers. Just wondering what the buzz is over there about him - if there's any at all. It would be one of the great stories if he made it over there and I hope that he does.

He's made the 75-man roster, so he survived the first round of roster cuts. Next saturday (tomorrow) are the final cuts where teams need to cut down their roster to 53 by 4pm EST. Last night was the last preseason game, and from what i've read he played pretty well there, increasing his chances to make the final roster. Seems like he's got a good chance to make the team!

49ers fans will be able to tell you more and in more detail though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

fuckpot posted:

It is hard to look directly at the 49ers at the moment without going blind but between my fingers he looks really good. NFL coaches are pretty conservative (i.e. there's a tendency to go with a safer established guy) and the NFL is an injury factory, especially if you run like he does so who knows.

I don't know if it's a factor as much as it is in more international sports (soccer) but from the organization's standpoint it's nice to have a fan magnet where you draft a chunk of a country to watch games, buy merch etc.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hayne has run really well so far this preseason but has played mostly against backups. He won't be getting the ball a ton as if he makes the team, he'll be the fourth-string running back. He'll get the ball a handful of times per game as he has been really good at returning punts.

He's probably making it on the final roster. The 49ers made a surprising cut today so it might be to make sure they have room for Hayne. He's been the bright spot of the preseason for the 49ers, so I'm optimistic/hopeful.

Plus he did this last night, which I'm told is a rugby move?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Spoeank posted:

Yep and an illegal one. He'd get a few weeks ban if he did that here.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

fuckpot posted:

What about it is illegal? Shoulder to head contact?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spoeank posted:

That is pretty cool. He didn't even need to step out of bounds, with experience that would have been one or two more yards.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

fuckpot posted:

As a ball-carrier? I wouldn't expect to see a ball-carrier penalised for leading a shoulder into contact.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fuckpot posted:

So I guess rugby players are the real pussies after all.:monocle:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Shoulder charges are illegal offensively and defensively in rugby league. It's actually a matter of debate at the moment.

A player broke their neck and was made a quadriplegic last year. That was caused by a spear tackle but I guess they thought they'd better ban the shoulder charge as well before a serious head injury was caused.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

fuckpot posted:

Shoulder charges are illegal offensively and defensively in rugby league. It's actually a matter of debate at the moment.

A player broke their neck and was made a quadriplegic last year. That was caused by a spear tackle but I guess they thought they'd better ban the shoulder charge as well before a serious head injury was caused.

So that's what Goldberg has been up to lately

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

E_Motion posted:

He's made the 75-man roster, so he survived the first round of roster cuts. Next saturday (tomorrow) are the final cuts where teams need to cut down their roster to 53 by 4pm EST. Last night was the last preseason game, and from what i've read he played pretty well there, increasing his chances to make the final roster. Seems like he's got a good chance to make the team!

49ers fans will be able to tell you more and in more detail though.

The local sportswriters are making lots of noise about the guy because he looks like he might be one of the two exciting parts of a team that is otherwise a complete dumpster fire.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

fuckpot posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-06/shoulder-charge-must-remain-banned2c-says-ackerman27s-brother/6676576

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

As a ball-carrier? I wouldn't expect to see a ball-carrier penalised for leading a shoulder into contact.

there's no helmets in rugby.

Philthy posted:

That is pretty cool. He didn't even need to step out of bounds, with experience that would have been one or two more yards.

but it was so much more badass this way.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I mean, I know a thing or two about rugby league and I'd be prepared to write it off as just a quirk of the NRL's judiciary versus the RFL, but e.g. this NRL statement presents the shoulder charge solely as something that's done to a ballcarrier by a tackler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably dumb question, especially considering I've been watching football since I was in kindergarten:
Why isn't spiking considered intentional grounding?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Probably dumb question, especially considering I've been watching football since I was in kindergarten:
Why isn't spiking considered intentional grounding?

It's a special exception to the grounding rule.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thought it might be something like that. You already use a play to do it so I guess it's not worth punishing for it.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
I remember hearing that there is a limit to the number of officials and "suited up" players a team can have on the sidelines. Does anyone know what those limits are?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Iron_Chef posted:

I remember hearing that there is a limit to the number of officials and "suited up" players a team can have on the sidelines. Does anyone know what those limits are?

Depends on what league it is. In the NFL you have a 53 man roster for games. This can vary a bit with injuries(I'll let one of the NFL guys explain it more as I don't get it myself). In college you can have a max of 85 players on scholarship, but there is no limit on team size. What this means is that at home games you can have 100+ guys suited up, but for road games it is basically the scholarship players and maybe 5 valuable walk-ons.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Also the NFL roster is 53, but only 46 can be suited up on game day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grittybeard posted:

It's a special exception to the grounding rule.

(NFL)

quote:

RULE 8 FORWARD PASS, BACKWARD PASS, FUMBLE
SECTION 2 INTENTIONAL GROUNDING
ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of
pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is
defined as a pass that lands in the direction and the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.
Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon
receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.
http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf

• Locked thread