Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure BLMs don't care about Ewer any more since it's just a refresh, not an mp cost reduction. All it does is make their ice phase shorter, and does nothing at all in fire phase. Same situation with a DRK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So give it to your cohealer or a SMN. Not that SMN have MP issues outside of A2 (you get a dot, and you get a dot!)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ArtIsResistance posted:

Really? Guess I better unsub now that I'm 60

The story continues with each patch, dumbass.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

Pretty sure BLMs don't care about Ewer any more since it's just a refresh, not an mp cost reduction. All it does is make their ice phase shorter, and does nothing at all in fire phase. Same situation with a DRK.
Pre-60 Ewer is alright on BLM actually, since it'll probably allow you to get an extra fire in before switching to ice. At 60 your Enochian timer controls your rotation more than your MP does though, so it becomes much less useful at that point. You might be able to get some use out of one that's used on you when you 'hardcast' Enochian rather than Blizzard IV refreshing it, but it quickly becomes highly situational. In all likelihood you or your co-healer are the two most valuable targets for an Ewer card. The reason you don't use Ewer on DRK is because if they're in Darkside like any proper DRK is supposed to be the card just does nothing.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

:psyduck:

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Klades posted:

If you've been skipping cutscenes since the 2.X story and haven't tried watching any of the 3.0 ones you should maybe give them a chance since everything about the plot, writing, and cutscenes are better in 3.0 than any part of 2.X was.
Feel free to continue to skip any cutscene with a moogle in it with abandon, though, because gently caress moogles.

Warrior :black101:

Yeah it's more along the lines of me being impatient than not being interested in the story. I'm sure the story is wonderful..I just wanna sit here and play not sit here and watch.

Not to mention the one thing I dislike about this game over other MMOs is a lot of content being gated behind the main story quests. Why can't I just pay a bunch of money to unlock flying like in WoW? Oh, because it's a Final Fantasy game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

bonds0097 posted:

The story continues with each patch, dumbass.

:monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tyberius posted:

P R A Y R E T U R N

Code: EGSNF4E5 is still available Boris if you need a code.

From a few days ago but I used this code. Thanks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's wrong with this post?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean he's a bit of a baby but it doesn't make him wrong.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Thanks for the advice all, that should keep me going. The Nocturnal aspected benefic is the main thing I don't get now, but I won't actually have that for a while yet anyway. I just try to keep the shield on the tank as much as possible and use regular heals until it wears off?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Vile posted:

Thanks for the advice all, that should keep me going. The Nocturnal aspected benefic is the main thing I don't get now, but I won't actually have that for a while yet anyway. I just try to keep the shield on the tank as much as possible and use regular heals until it wears off?

Just treat it like adloquium and stoneskin - it gives you more buffer time to not be paying attention to the tank so you can do something else. DPS, heal other party members, dodge mechanics, etc. For high-level stuff you use it for tank busters. For the amount of HP it restores and shields, it's not very efficient though.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mr. Vile posted:

Just keep the shield on when there's damage coming in. Part of healing is just developing a sense of what's happening and when, especially preventative healing like SCH/nocturnal AST; you just have to practice until you develop a feel for it. The big advantage of nocturnal aspected benefic over adloquium on a scholar is that it's instant, so you can snap shield when a big hit is coming or something.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

His posting style IS "obnoxious" and I figured that "goons" would enjoy making fun of it.

edit: wow that was annoying to type

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Considering what the official forums put out, it's going to take more than annoying posting style to rile up goons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everything about that post is correct; the style of the post is a bit aggravating, but he's 100% right that vitality is a selfish stat. I have difficulties holding threat as a PLD as it is sometimes. I couldn't imagine how bad it'd be if I was using right side vitality gear as opposed to strength gear.

If the developers are concerned about all the tanks using strength over vitality gear, maybe they should have that gear have an enmity increase to it as well, or have it like it's done in other FF games where vitality increases your defense / resistance to status effects.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That's a really good post considering where it came from.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Bonafide angry after experiencing that posting style.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

From a few days ago but I used this code. Thanks.

Cool, let me know if you manage to get on Excalibur and I'll hook you up with some spending money to get started.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Now that I have a Scholar at lv 60, I'm thinking of the next job to play. Probably a melee DPS or tank. I got my thaumaturge to 26 to get swiftcast and it was the most boring thing ever as all I did was spam fire 1 until my fingers broke off. So goons, whats a fun melee class that has a lot of buttons I can push to give the illusion of difficulty?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Velveteen posted:

Now that I have a Scholar at lv 60, I'm thinking of the next job to play. Probably a melee DPS or tank. I got my thaumaturge to 26 to get swiftcast and it was the most boring thing ever as all I did was spam fire 1 until my fingers broke off. So goons, whats a fun melee class that has a lot of buttons I can push to give the illusion of difficulty?

Monk

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Vitality isn't selfish, it's just bad. It's not a good stat, and at best it's generally treated as accuracy- i.e. something you don't really get anything out of besides hitting a certain important cap. It's stupid because tank gear is built entirely around it, but it's the opposite of what tanks are seeking to optimize. Don't get me wrong, I like conceptually being able to mix and match gear but it's also annoying that tanks are required to keep two sets of jewellery for no real reason.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Days without bringing up Strength vs Vitality:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

seiferguy posted:

If the developers are concerned about all the tanks using strength over vitality gear, maybe they should have that gear have an enmity increase to it as well, or have it like it's done in other FF games where vitality increases your defense / resistance to status effects.

I still like the idea of making vitality increase TP regen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blank: should I use it all the time y/n

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

Only when you're with classes that AoE, or on ranged mobs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, also if you cant job class it then take off your stone and cross class it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Should I put stat points into Piety for DRK? :v:

EDIT: only partially joking

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As much as I would love to say yes, I don't think Piety is ever worth it for any job no matter how much you get.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WobblySausage posted:

For NIN should a huton be able to be done in between one global cooldown skill and another? I have trouble getting a two mudra skill off, let alone a three.
You eventually get a combo ability which means you shouldn't need to recast it in combat. Until then, my GCD with Huton up is about 2 seconds, and the recast on the mudras is 0.5 and I think activating a ninjutsu is also 0.5 so it's not really possible for me to do a 3-mudra ninjutsu without clipping a GCD, even if they always went off flawlessly which they don't.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As much as I would love to say yes, I don't think Piety is ever worth it for any job no matter how much you get.

My SCH has like 6 billion piety on gear now, and it owns how aetherflow + 3 drains restore like 6k?

Piety on scholar owns.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Truga posted:

My SCH has like 6 billion piety on gear now, and it owns how aetherflow + 3 drains restore like 6k?

Piety on scholar owns.
This. I wouldn't consciously gear for it, but having a bunch of piety on gear makes you never ever ever run out if you energy drain even a little (which you will if you're DPSing hard (which you should be doing because what are you, a healer or something? selene is a healer, you are a gimpy summoner))

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ArtIsResistance posted:

Really? Guess I better unsub now that I'm 60

There's really not alot to do at max lvl outside of raiding unless you consider running daily dungeons, gathering, or crafting, content.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Truga posted:

Piety on scholar owns.

It depends on the level of content you're doing and the intensity of healing that's expected of you. It's good to have some Piety, but it eventually starts becoming superfluous.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

It depends on the level of content you're doing and the intensity of healing that's expected of you. It's good to have some Piety, but it eventually starts becoming superfluous.

For Scholar, at least, you can easily get to 13k+ mana and still bottom out by the end of an encounter. Adding more mana allows you to play differently, adding more Adlos, and with them more Broils. In 4-mans, you only really need enough piety to hit 11-11.5k, but in harder content it's easy to spend a ton of mana without really trying to.

And then someone wants a res..

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 4, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Niton posted:

For Scholar, at least, you can easily get to 13k+ mana and still bottom out by the end of an encounter. Adding more mana allows you to play differently, adding more Adlos and Broils. In 4-mans, you only really need enough piety to hit 11-11.5k, but in harder content it's easy to spend a ton of mana without really trying to.

And then someone wants a res..

I love every bit of piety I have when dpsing in A1S/A2S.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Fister Roboto posted:

That guy was a "celebrity" in EQ2 for being an annoying poster

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess he didn't get the upvotes on reddit so he reposted the img here hoping for SA upvotes.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
PIE is a secondary stat sofar as gear is concerned, and you never have to choose between MND and PIE on gear.

If you're running out of mana healing, its much more likely that people are taking damage from stupid, or that you are overhealing (usually from lack of knowledge of the fight)

So basically never choose PIE as a stat bonus but just get whatever you need from gear because its plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Oh, yeah, I didn't realize the start of the chain - only ever put points into your Primary Throughput Stat for stat bonuses!

That said, Scholar can go through a poo poo ton of mana simply doing its job correctly, and it's really weird that Piety isn't weighted at all for DPS by a lot of theorycrafters given how expensive (and good!) Broil is.

• Locked thread