Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

RVProfootballer posted:

new Nexuses are going to be $350-450.

oh yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Super Dude posted:

Bluetooth works terribly with my car on Kit Kat. It worked perfectly with my old S3 as well as my iPhone 5, so the BT seems to suck in general on the 2013 X.

Yeah, for me, it was a little flaky even before Lollipop. Lollipop just made it terrible. Like half the time I press play on my head unit to resume something I have paused, the phone disconnects and won't connect to any bluetooth devices (even though it shows BT on). I have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it to connect again.

I'm going to suffer through another month of this to probably get a new Nexus even though they're huge phones. I got a 2014 Moto X awhile back and returned it after a week because it's just impossible to use comfortably one handed for me (which I do 90% of the time) and wasn't a lot better than my 2013 Moto X. Now that the 2013 Moto X is poo poo, I'll just have to suffer with the huge phone.

edit: Oh yeah, another thing it does now is half the time I go on a run it kicks Runkeeper out of memory so I lose audio prompts.

This whole fiasco has made me unreasonably angry. It just seems so lovely that a company can reach out and break my device like that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 4, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You shouldn't buy a Nexus 6 unless you have NBA hands and exclusively wear cargo shorts because those are the only things it fits in.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Whizbang posted:

You shouldn't buy a Nexus 6 unless you have NBA hands and exclusively wear cargo shorts because those are the only things it fits in.

And yet here I am, possessing neither NBA hands nor cargo shorts, comfortably using a Nexus 6 :chanpop:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Come on guys, its not quite Saturday yet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whizbang posted:

You know what big hands mean :wink:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

CLAM DOWN posted:

You know what big hands mean :wink:

Big phablets?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, for me, it was a little flaky even before Lollipop. Lollipop just made it terrible. Like half the time I press play on my head unit to resume something I have paused, the phone disconnects and won't connect to any bluetooth devices (even though it shows BT on). I have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it to connect again.

I'm going to suffer through another month of this to probably get a new Nexus even though they're huge phones. I got a 2014 Moto X awhile back and returned it after a week because it's just impossible to use comfortably one handed for me (which I do 90% of the time) and wasn't a lot better than my 2013 Moto X. Now that the 2013 Moto X is poo poo, I'll just have to suffer with the huge phone.

edit: Oh yeah, another thing it does now is half the time I go on a run it kicks Runkeeper out of memory so I lose audio prompts.

This whole fiasco has made me unreasonably angry. It just seems so lovely that a company can reach out and break my device like that.

Motorola has a history of doing this. You should have seen the Moto boards when the X2 updates were released for it back in the day. They hosed that phone up so bad it would randomly restart at least once a day, and the battery gauge didn't give you an accurate reading when it randomly restarted because they hosed that up too.

Also, my 2014 Moto G (no LTE) had it's bluetooth ruined also with the last update too. They released a stagefright/ "bugfix" patch a few days ago that's totally hosed my ability to play music over bluetooth devices. Constant pausing/stopping/starting/popping/skipping. gently caress you, Motorola.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Skarsnik posted:

Come on guys, its not quite Saturday yet

Don't be timezonist rear end in a top hat, it's been Saturday for 2 hours.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Unless you need a phone right away, I don't see why you'd buy a Nexus 6, even for $350, when the Moto X Style/Pure and new Nexuses are going to be $350-450.

Well, to match 32GB of the 6 you'd need to pay $100 which is not insignificant. Of course with the X you can get an SD Ca...OH GOD NO

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you can ignore the aging battery and Sleep of Death issues, 5.1.1 on the Nexus 4 runs okay.

Seriously though...N4 likes to randomly lock up while in sleep mode and you can't do anything but hold the Power button to reset it.

I was just saying that if the N4 is still getting OS updates, I would feel comfortable that the N6 will for a while too. I totally believe that N4s are showing their age!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola devices have always been the most stable I've ever used.

Also, you can't ever use the X2 as an example for anything since it used a Tegra 2 and Nvidia is terrible at SoCs.

The least stable and most problematic phone I've ever owned was the Galaxy Nexus.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thermopyle posted:

I got a 2014 Moto X awhile back and returned it after a week because it's just impossible to use comfortably one handed for me (which I do 90% of the time) and wasn't a lot better than my 2013 Moto X.

ZenUI supremacy.

I've used this like, twice.

edit: I've cleaned off that horrible gunk below my fingerprint reader.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Motorola devices have always been the most stable I've ever used.

Also, you can't ever use the X2 as an example for anything since it used a Tegra 2 and Nvidia is terrible at SoCs.

The least stable and most problematic phone I've ever owned was the Galaxy Nexus.

Nah, I can use the X2 as an example because the phone was great before they updated it to 2.3. Seriously I know Tegra 2 was a joke but god drat some of the responsibility is also on Moto to NOT break their own phones.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MycroftXXX posted:

That is actually tempting
Would be tempting if it had started at that price. Now it's a year old and about to be replaced.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Well, to match 32GB of the 6 you'd need to pay $100 which is not insignificant. Of course with the X you can get an SD Ca...OH GOD NO

I'm tempted by the 6 just for the performance and Qi. Was really hoping the new X would have wireless charging. I tried like hell to buy the 6 last fall but after a few weeks of their inventory issues bought a Z3. Then again, I have small hands and even using my Z3 one-handed with a TPU case requires some finger gymnastics.

I may just wait for the new 5, which I assume will have Qi.

ok_dirdel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 4, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Whizbang posted:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Whizbang posted:

My Nexus 6 fits in my jeans just fine. Though, after the salesman expressed his shock at this, I tried putting the iPad Mini he had on his desk in my pocket as well and (only just!) got it to fit too. Maybe my jeans just have giant pockets.

As for my hands they are pretty big and hammy, though I'm happy I finally have a phone that works for me. I can't see myself using a phone larger than a Nexus 6, though I also said that about the HTC Incredible S and the Moto X 2013...

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
help i can't stop checking my motorola order status

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BeastOfExmoor posted:

ZenUI supremacy.

I've used this like, twice.

edit: I've cleaned off that horrible gunk below my fingerprint reader.

I've actually thought since the times of iPhone users making arguments about how big phones were stupid and couldn't ever work well that it's not a stretch to imagine a UI designed for exactly this issue.

Imagine the whole screen given over to content with a flyout radial menu from the bottom corner for doing actions. Or whatever, I'm not super pro UI designer, but I'm sure Google or someone else could come up with something that works well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've actually thought since the times of iPhone users making arguments about how big phones were stupid and couldn't ever work well that it's not a stretch to imagine a UI designed for exactly this issue.

Imagine the whole screen given over to content with a flyout radial menu from the bottom corner for doing actions. Or whatever, I'm not super pro UI designer, but I'm sure Google or someone else could come up with something that works well.

Didn't you use pie controls back in the old Browser? They were pretty easy to get used to but I don't know if they were intuitive enough to be a control interface for the common man.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I have both next gen consoles, a shield tablet, and a high end gaming PC is there any added value for me for the Shield console?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Didn't you use pie controls back in the old Browser? They were pretty easy to get used to but I don't know if they were intuitive enough to be a control interface for the common man.

Yea you did! I remember getting real good with them and feeling like Johnny Mnemonic

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

If I have both next gen consoles, a shield tablet, and a high end gaming PC is there any added value for me for the Shield console?

There are three current gen consoles, guy. :colbert: And no, I can't imagine any.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Manky posted:

There are three current gen consoles, guy. :colbert:

PS4, Wii U and ???

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The SoC is more more of a lateral move to slight downgrade. The Moto G compares favorably to 2012 flagships, but it's but its more on par to slightly slower (in some areas) compared to 2013 flagships.

So, it's a great upgrade from the Nexus 4, but more of a replacement for the Moto X 2013.

The Nexus 4 and Moto X 2013 have nearly identical specs.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Is this a subtle dig at the xbone because lol

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Ouya

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SlayVus posted:

I am planning on getting an Shield console for in-home game streaming from my PC because it has one of the lowest latency decoders available. But I don't plan on playing any games on it natively.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

When I was rooted on my S3 I used Pie Controls extensively and it was awesome for one handed use.

Can't root the Turbo and I really miss that feature.

The Pie Controls apps in the store suck rear end and stuff like GMD require root. Using the back button requires root on most of these apps.

Right now I have a tap in the upper left area trigger the Recents button through SideControl because I can't reach it with my left thumb.

I hope Google puts out some extra control options for phablets because if I were to get a Nexus 6 or something I probably wouldn't be able to even reach the Home button.

Dumb tiny hands.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 4, 2015

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (Developer Edition) has been a nightmare since 5.1 (and possibly just in general): poor battery life (~16 hours on with an hour of screen time), random app crashes and bugs, horrible radio issues, and worst of all, once a week or so it'll randomly power down and upon reboot it needs to compile all of the apps again. Fun!

You need to go to Motorola support if you haven't already. This is not normal. My 2013 Moto X has fine battery life on 5.1 and hasn't exhibited any of those qualities. Something is wrong with your phone.

Start by doing a reset of your phone if you haven't already.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Droid Washington posted:

You need to go to Motorola support if you haven't already. This is not normal. My 2013 Moto X has fine battery life on 5.1 and hasn't exhibited any of those qualities. Something is wrong with your phone.

Start by doing a reset of your phone if you haven't already.

These are widespread and common issues with Lollipop on the 2013 X. I realize not everyone has them, but it's not some one-off occurrence either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, I did. I actually used something similar in Firefox on the desktop years ago. You'd middle click anywhere and nudge the mouse in different directions to do different things. Quite efficient.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but the same basic idea.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

The rear end Stooge posted:

help i can't stop checking my motorola order status

My status actually went backwards from Order Complete to Device Built. I'm hoping it's actually just Moto being really conservative on when it'll arrive. My N5's battery might not make it to the 17th.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Best Buy is price matching the $349 Nexus 6.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

PurpleJesus posted:

My status actually went backwards from Order Complete to Device Built. I'm hoping it's actually just Moto being really conservative on when it'll arrive. My N5's battery might not make it to the 17th.

Mine went backwards too. :(

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Best Buy is price matching the $349 Nexus 6.

$349 Nexus 6

FTFY.

Very tempting. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the new Nexus phones, given the inevitable inventory issues they will have?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Super Dude posted:

Mine went backwards too. :(

Ha, I just looked and same here. I know rationally that whatever it says on the site doesn't really matter until I get a tracking number, but that doesn't stop me from checking multiple times a day.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Earlier in the thread people were having their Moto G's delivered before they even got their shipping confirmation. So I wouldn't worry much about what the order status says, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm really digging the screen of the 2014 Moto X compared to my Nexus 5. Are amoled screens better than IPS?