Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ilkhan posted:

For some inexplicable reason nearly half the office is not present today.
:shrug:

Trying to stretch a holiday into a 4 day weekend.
It's the same at my work too. Also, all week it's taken me 2 hours to commute the 20 miles to work. Today it took 30 mins.
God Bless Labor Day. :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My 35 minute commute took 15 today. Instead of the 7 installs I normally have all over the greater region, I've got 3. Life is good.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ilkhan posted:

For some inexplicable reason nearly half the office is not present today.
:shrug:

I'm in the offices of Big New York Newspaper and there is pretty much nobody here. The office is quiet normally but now it's dead quiet.

Of course I can't track decode errors (one was around 125 billion) over time on the switch if there is nobody here!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why were you googling information from Larches' posts in the first place? :raise:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why were you googling information from Larches' posts in the first place? :raise:

We all want to see the shitshow for ourselves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pr0digal posted:

I'm in the offices of Big New York Newspaper and there is pretty much nobody here. The office is quiet normally but now it's dead quiet.

Of course I can't track decode errors (one was around 125 billion) over time on the switch if there is nobody here!

I'm surprised that a newspaper office isn't always dead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Segmentation Fault posted:

We all want to see the shitshow for ourselves.

I'd bet a nickel it's no worse than 50% of other local stations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd bet a nickel it's no worse than 50% of other local stations.

yeah but we have context behind the madness

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Okay, seriously, wtf.

vvvv: Not yet... not yet...

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 4, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

Okay, seriously, wtf.

:toot:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in from one of our remote locations. They can access their file shares on our intranet just fine, but their email (Outlook to Office365) isn't loading. I remote in and sure enough, the email is stuck at connecting. Restart the client, no dice, restart the computer, still no good. How in the gently caress do they have access to our servers but not Microsoft's servers?

Maybe the Office 365 servers are down? Nope, I've got a connection right now. Alright, maybe the WebMail client will work and it's an Outlook issue? Nope, WebMail client fails too. I double check, they're able to ping 8.8.8.8 and load https://www.msn.com, and they're using the same DNS as us. Check the Hosts file for oddities (none), check the firewall, reboot it, reboot the modem, and then notice another oddity. This location normally has multiple VPN tunnels, but only one is up right now. I remote to the destination of one of the tunnels that is down, and try to reach the remote location; no response.

At this point I'm so loving confused; I've never seen half the Internet just not work for a location but clearly that's what's going on. So I call the ISP, and the pre-recorded message helpfully informs me that they are working on a major outage limiting some, but not all, websites.

:confused: How the gently caress does that even work? Did someone decide to start tidying up cables at a main hub or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A ticket went out, with data on how to reproduce, screen caps, error logs, and packet captures. A serious of increasingly idiotic theories and questions came back.

All the information you need is in the data I just gave. I already solved it by looking at the aforementioned data, but didn't want to sound smug or patronizing when I gave it to you. I figured it would be obvious. I'd fix it myself, but I don't have the access needed to those systems. You do. Now go and implement the fix, instead of flailing around in email taking wild stabs at what the root cause might be.

I swear to god, some days I feel like the I'm back pages of an Encyclopedia Brown book.

The frustrating thing is this guy is usually really on the ball. I've never had to spell out the obvious to him before.

It's been a long week, and this was the poo poo-cherry on top. Thankfully, it's a three day weekend.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bugs Meany broke your systems?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:golfclap:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I thought I saw tumbleweeds blowing across the parking lot outside my building. And getting on base took about 15 secs. It was quiet, peaceful even, and after 12:01pm the base essentially became abandoned except for us blood-sucking contractors. Apparently 4 hours and 1 minute is enough to constitute a full duty day, so the commanders cut their troops loose after that and disappear as well

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He would if he could. The dick.

Also, gently caress I'm old.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's impossible, he has an airtight alibi, he was up at the North Pole doing research on penguins.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Check the Tigers' clubhouse and look for cherry pits and stems...I am really loving old.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thanks to this thread, I have started unironically using "do the needful" at work both in emails and in person, and have managed to infect my team lead with the same. Not sure what the sustainable population level is, but I'm going to try and get at least another three people doing the same thing before I move to a different project.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Check the Tigers' clubhouse and look for cherry pits and stems...I am really loving old.

Don't feel bad. Hey, if someone were to pass out while standing upright, which way would they fall?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I tried really hard to think of an IT related thing that the Tigers' name should really be, but came up blank. :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm nearly 30 and have no clue what any of you are talking about. :psyduck:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Get off our lawn. :corsair:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

larchesdanrew posted:

Just trying to earn a paycheck while some fat-titted old man screams at me to do things the wrong way

You seriously need to come hang with us in IRC at #BOFH on synirc.net.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

neogeo0823 posted:

So uncultured. I bet you never read any Hardy Boys or Boxcar Children either :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm 24 and I do :smug:.

It was a series of whodunits aimed at kids. Like the short story, "Can you tell who did it?" kind.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

neogeo0823 posted:

I am 30 and I do. Encyclopedia Brown and You Be the Jury were my bread and butter as a young'n.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm 24 and I do :smug:.

It was a series of whodunits aimed at kids. Like the short story, "Can you tell who did it?" kind.

"Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Missing E-mails"

... "Well, it appears Miss Hayes stored all those important emails from the Nigerian Prince of Wales in the trash. Little did Miss Hayes know, but her' sysadmin ran an automated job on weekends that automatically emptied her Exchange deleted items folder." Sally put Miss Hayes's mouse down, and looked at Encyclopedia.

"But that's not all! I was able to hack my way into the Prince's server by backtracing his IP address to his client-server area location, and found something very interesting. The signal was coming from he edge of town, right near where The Tigers' clubhouse is." Encyclopedia looked self assured.

"Not only that, but Ned the Mailman has a 2nd job for Comcast. He let me know that he was instaling internet at the clubhouse 2 weeks ago, right when The Nigerian Prince sent his first email. It's a good thing you lost those e-mails, Miss Hayes. You could have lost a whole lot more."

Now, they go down to Bugs' clubhouse, and they take off his mask, and it's really Old Man Stallman trying to scare people off his internet so he can post more cat pictures.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

... "Well, it appears Miss Hayes stored all those important emails from the Nigerian Prince of Wales in the trash. Little did Miss Hayes know, but her' sysadmin ran an automated job on weekends that automatically emptied her Exchange deleted items folder." Sally put Miss Hayes's mouse down, and looked at Encyclopedia.

"But that's not all! I was able to hack my way into the Prince's server by backtracing his IP address to his client-server area location, and found something very interesting. The signal was coming from he edge of town, right near where The Tigers' clubhouse is." Encyclopedia looked self assured.

"Not only that, but Ned the Mailman has a 2nd job for Comcast. He let me know that he was instaling internet at the clubhouse 2 weeks ago, right when The Nigerian Prince sent his first email. It's a good thing you lost those e-mails, Miss Hayes. You could have lost a whole lot more."

Now, they go down to Bugs' clubhouse, and they take off his mask, and it's really Old Man Stallman trying to scare people off his internet so he can post more cat pictures.

7/10 - no GUI created using Visual Basic to back-trace the IP.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

7/10 - no GUI created using Visual Basic to back-trace the IP.
GUI interface using Visual Basic :science:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

Be careful on the torrent stuff, that can be a HUGE security risk and cause headaches later if someone is downloading pirated software (don't fool yourself, chances are they already have and will keep doing it) or movies and poo poo. Keep Youtube alive, block torrent bullshit and tell anyone if they want to use that crap to go home or hit up a local eatery with free wireless. Really not worth dealing with the hassles of possible DMCA threats or other legal troubles, and even the most "trustworthy" folks can end up being a huge problem.

DMCA doesn't apply in this country, but the initial network setup was already done when I started in this job. I got hired because I have 10 years of experience running school IT, and the first thing I said when I saw the topology plans was "Why the hell don't we have a stateful firewall? That's going to bite us in the rear end!" and it did.

Torrents will probably he shut off entirely (I have a feeling the people in power will actually listen to the IT people this time). If students need Linux distros they get get them via FTP or HTTP - or get their IT-teacher to open a ticket with us and let us download it for them.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015

GWBBQ posted:

Trying to move a professor's files (entire life's work) from a pair of external hard drives to OneDrive because it would be kind of nice for it to be backed up somewhere other than the other hard drive in his laptop bag that frequently travels with him internationally, on boats, etc. OneDrive sync failed because most of his 560,000 files are over the 254 character limit due to his Byzantine directory structure and naming convention, and most of it is duplicate files because every year he makes a copy the previous year's folder with everything in it duplicated even though the vast majority remains untouched

We tried moving everything to our university's internal enterprise file storage and setting it up for access from anywhere, and we get emails like "THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION!" with the body being a rant about how slow access is from off campus demanding to move it all back to the portable drives. We tell him to run a speed test, and when he finally gets around to it he does it from on campus.

Do you work with me. I have the same problem with professors at my work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

nitrogen posted:

This is the best payoff.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

GUI interface using Visual Basic :science:

Graphical User Interface Interface?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sure, haven't you ever forgotten your PIN number at the ATM machine?!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Chickenwalker posted:

Graphical User Interface Interface?

https://youtu.be/hkDD03yeLnU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

nitrogen posted:

"The emails aren't missing at all. In fact, you never sent them!"

How did Encyclopedia know?

Because gently caress you, that's why.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

That hurt more than it should have

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Boxcar Children :colbert:
drat that's reaching back to childhood.
Third(?) book when they worked at a shop and the PITA woman who returned everything was the anonymous new owner was always my favorite. drat that's a series I haven't thought about for a couple decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crowley posted:

DMCA doesn't apply in this country, but the initial network setup was already done when I started in this job. I got hired because I have 10 years of experience running school IT, and the first thing I said when I saw the topology plans was "Why the hell don't we have a stateful firewall? That's going to bite us in the rear end!" and it did.

Torrents will probably he shut off entirely (I have a feeling the people in power will actually listen to the IT people this time). If students need Linux distros they get get them via FTP or HTTP - or get their IT-teacher to open a ticket with us and let us download it for them.

Set up an internal torrent tracker, and seed the ISOs internally, while still blocking torrent traffic at the firewall! :science:

• Locked thread