Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It still looks fun, and really when you played TF2 how often did you play outside your wheelhouse class?

Eng 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

And it's going to make them poo poo loads of money because it's a straight rip from tf2 which tons of people still play.

How did it take so long for other developers to jump on the "character-based F2P competitive shooter" thing, anyway? TF2's been F2P for ages now and raking in the dough, and it's only recently that other character-based F2P shooters like Dirty Bomb, Overwatch, and Lawbreakers started showing up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There have actually been a shitton of games in that style. They were just usually terrible imported Korean games, that nobody knew about or paid attention to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schubalts posted:

There have actually been a shitton of games in that style. They were just usually terrible imported Korean games, that nobody knew about or paid attention to.

Ah, well, that would explain how I missed them.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
On the wow talk-

There is a wotlk private server (gamer district.. i think?) that has cross faction dungeons.

So i mean if a private server can do it....

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Double Monocle posted:

On the wow talk-

There is a wotlk private server (gamer district.. i think?) that has cross faction dungeons.

So i mean if a private server can do it....

This only lasts until 70 content. Once you hit WOTLK dungeons it's turned off.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3isaB9Wm7c

:stare:

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 1, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I thought pve in elder scrolls didn't care about faction? Restricting people for pve content is loving dumb your RP can eat a dick.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BadLlama posted:

I thought pve in elder scrolls didn't care about faction? Restricting people for pve content is loving dumb your RP can eat a dick.

People started in geografic areas that were completely inacceisble to the other faction till they finished the main story. Dont know whether or not that changed. Guilds were trade groups and they were faction blind.

TSW was one of the few games were factions didnt penalize them by splitting them up while actually adding some flavor to each. A few faction specific quests and how the handlers replied on quests, which were pretty amusing.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

BadLlama posted:

The three factions are strictly segregated except for features like guilds, guild chat, guild stores, mail, and whispers. The only time they can ever meet in the game world is in the PvP map, as enemies.

At least the leveling and questing content doesn't go to waste. The other faction's early leveling zones are repurposed as separately instanced late leveling/endgame zones, so any character can fully see all three factions' content.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

People started in geografic areas that were completely inacceisble to the other faction till they finished the main story. Dont know whether or not that changed. Guilds were trade groups and they were faction blind.

TSW was one of the few games were factions didnt penalize them by splitting them up while actually adding some flavor to each. A few faction specific quests and how the handlers replied on quests, which were pretty amusing.

If you want to be in the same guild with someone who didn't choose Illuminati for some strange reason you're SOL, but why would you be friends with someone like that anyway?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Didn't they change that so cabals were cross faction? Coulda sworn they did that.

Also templar > illuminati

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They've been planning to for a long time but I don't think they ever did. It's not like guilds do much there besides the chat channel and storage.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You people sure do spell Dragon in weird ways.

I've never been a fan of factions limiting who you can play with and stuff so I was always glad TSW was pretty lax on that end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Were these just starter zones or were they split up the entire way to the cap?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Were these just starter zones or were they split up the entire way to the cap?

The main story would get you into the soft cap and then you could go to the other faction areas to grind for prestige which was another horrible grind.

They were entirely different instanced areas, as far as I saw it there wasnt a way to get there till you finish the main story.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Hey look Wildstar news:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-01-deep-dive-loot-updates/

They're making gear rewards and vendors make more sense, and making it so loot drops from all bosses in dungeons rather than just the last one. They're also removing a lot of gear they think was ultimately 'pointless' in regards to stat balances, kind of like like how WoW transitioned away from ever having 'of the Whale' gear. :v:

People who are wearing gear that is being removed or otherwise outdated are getting something level, class, and spec appropriate slapped onto them to replace it. It sounds like it might be a decent quality of life change, since there seemed to be some times where I could buy gear better than my quest rewards were offering, and then I'd find a vendor who basically had actual turds for sale and I didn't get any item upgrades for forever.

e:

They're also streamlining rune usage and making a 'prismatic' rune which fits in all slots, and moving those unique proc powers that tended to make an item irreplaceable to be a fusion rune on said item.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-02-deep-dive-improving-runes/

They're also reducing the number of rune slots from 80 to 35, and making it so runes have a static level of power assigned to them rather than it being determined on what it's slotted in. You can also now apparently search runes (which wasn't in before which is weird) and old runes are being turned into tokens to buy the new runes.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 2, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that's fixing a lot of problems that should have never made it to launch. i think they're really trying to give the game a second shot at life with f2p and i hope it works

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

They're making gear rewards and vendors make more sense, and making it so loot drops from all bosses in dungeons rather than just the last one.

Wait, what?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Wait, what?

Loot literally made no sense in 1.0. It's like they fed a bunch of stuff into a random number generator and kept what it spit out.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

When you go free to play "of the whale" is exactly the kind of gear you want :downsrim:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

"Of the whale/wolf/boar" gear was the garb of a true champion. :colbert:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
That rune article reminded me just how obnoxious and awful the rune slots system was.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Runes were 100% useless when leveling, as I never had the mats for any lowbie runes. I think, not counting the tutorial rune, I made maybe one or two runes before hitting 50. Yet gear had quite a few rune slots

Also randomized rune slot types are still in, what the hell

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sept 29th is the F2P relaunch.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/03/wildstar-free-to-play-release-date-revealed

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rorus Raz posted:

Runes were 100% useless when leveling, as I never had the mats for any lowbie runes. I think, not counting the tutorial rune, I made maybe one or two runes before hitting 50. Yet gear had quite a few rune slots

Also randomized rune slot types are still in, what the hell

In beta you'd be swimming in lower level rune pieces if you were fighting certain types of mobs and could easily keep most or all of your good pieces of gear runed by 30 or so.

Like many things that made levelling and such easier, they changed it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I may give this another shot when f2p hits. It ran like complete rear end for me in beta but maybe, just maybe, they've finally managed to optimize it somehow.

I'm not going to be optimistic about that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I may give this another shot when f2p hits. It ran like complete rear end for me in beta but maybe, just maybe, they've finally managed to optimize it somehow.

I'm not going to be optimistic about that.

the beta had a bunch of dev tools running that were turned off for launch, which improved that problem for a lot of people

but if your game was still running like poo poo at launch i don't know if that's gotten better

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

]

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Just got another beta key I deleted

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Loose Ifer posted:

Just got another beta key I deleted

This made me laugh a lot more than it probably should.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rorus Raz posted:

Do you mean the assault dailies? Cause that is basically "kill X mobs" only you get a bar instead of a number.

I mean stuff like, for instance, the wurm event in Frostfire where you have to pick up ogres and feed it to a giant wurm until it comes up a treasure chest.

Though I guess stone of the stuff in the Timeless Isle falls closer to GW2 events

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Worldstar hophop but it's wildstar instead of world. Had anyone made this joke?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Feel free to continue posting it's ok that you can't live up to the standard of my joke.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Has anybody called it Mild Shart yet?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Morglon posted:

Has anybody called it Mild Shart yet?

There's nothing mild about this shart

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The impact it had on WoW subscription numbers :colbert:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Morglon posted:

The impact it had on WoW subscription numbers :colbert:

Wildstar comes out, WoW loses 5 million subscribers. The game was so bad it literally turned people off the genre entirely.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mutual Assured De-subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can't help but think WoW is doing a fine job of turning people off of the genre. Here's lookin at you, year and a half til xpack.

• Locked thread