Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bitmap posted:

Loopdeloop entry for the theme of "empathy"

I like it! I'm a fan of a classic power of three set up and I let out a HA! when the pigeon did its thing. All of the designs are great. Everything flows. I like your color palette.

Good times.

E: I hate when people watch my stuff then suggest things... so I'm just sharing here. :D I might have had the ground on the grave rumble every so slightly (like super slight) in the second one for a repeat viewer. (the joke is that the corpse just flinched and poo poo too! More good times)

I only spoilered that to not ruin the gag since this is the start of a new page on default view. People might see this post now first instead of bitmap's video. Go back and watch it. :)

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I like it! I'm a fan of a classic power of three set up and I let out a HA! when the pigeon did its thing. All of the designs are great. Everything flows. I like your color palette.

Good times.

E: I hate when people watch my stuff then suggest things... so I'm just sharing here. :D I might have had the ground on the grave rumble every so slightly (like super slight) in the second one for a repeat viewer. (the joke is that the corpse just flinched and poo poo too! More good times)

I only spoilered that to not ruin the gag since this is the start of a new page on default view. People might see this post now first instead of bitmap's video. Go back and watch it. :)

Hah! thanks. that's actually a really good idea, as the whole idea for the competition is the "loop", which was pretty weak in this one. It would be a really good idea to make subtle changes in the "replay" but present it as a regular loop of the same animation. Hmm. There's some great work hidden in that idea.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bitmap posted:

Hah! thanks. that's actually a really good idea, as the whole idea for the competition is the "loop", which was pretty weak in this one. It would be a really good idea to make subtle changes in the "replay" but present it as a regular loop of the same animation. Hmm. There's some great work hidden in that idea.

Good idea. I thought of it in a repeat view, but yours is way better because it supersedes the classic power of three. You think power of three then bam... different. That's pretty smart.

E: Also I assume the people judging it would appreciate the fake loop after watching so many real loops.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Good idea. I thought of it in a repeat view, but yours is way better because it supersedes the classic power of three. You think power of three then bam... different. That's pretty smart.

E: Also I assume the people judging it would appreciate the fake loop after watching so many real loops.

NOONE STEAL THIS IDEA THIS IS OUNCE OF GOLD AND MY IDEA

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

I just squeezed every ounce of creativity I could muster into my first "animation", and didn't know where to put it. I hope you can all appreciate the quality and social commentary behind my piece;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQxhoXJB9k

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

I made some quick animations recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpZ_VEBTOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7qyAhjnSg

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

The chicken in the 2nd one reminded me a lot of Bill Plimpton's style

True stories from retail, episode 1;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NU6iPBbQi4

Radicals fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The first thing I've ever animated (except flipbooks in grade school I guess?)

Pictures painted in Sai and animated in GraphicsGale.
Poses taken straight from the animator's handbook and then I leaned her body forward slightly.
Also every single frame of this pisses me off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The spacing on certain parts of the body is a little off and you could add some more drag on the hands, but other than that it looks pretty great, especially for a first try.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

The spacing on certain parts of the body is a little off and you could add some more drag on the hands, but other than that it looks pretty great, especially for a first try.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm not savvy to animation lingo, though. What's "drag" mean in this context?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 8, 2015

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Thanks for the tips.
I'm not savvy to animation lingo, though. What's "drag" mean in this context?

consider where there are opportunities for parts of the anatomy to "drag" behind another part of the body- for example, the wrists would lead the hands, and the hands would follow them a frame later. See below.

You've already done it with the boobs! Consider that in this motion, running, the chest leads and the tits drag. I'm so glad I typed that. The extrapolation of this is called secondary motion, where hair or a cape or a particularly enormous space rack would drag far behind and continue their motion even after the parent mass comes to a rest.

But awesome job! Consider now what personality you could add with a particularly dramatic up (the highest point in the running cycle) or down (the lowest point, before springing upward).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Okay I think I see. So in the context of ST's run cycle, you're saying the arms should move more like this?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Okay I think I see. So in the context of ST's run cycle, you're saying the arms should move more like this?

Yep that's what he is saying. The other part that he was talking about is your extremes. The eye tends to catch the beginning and end of a cycle easier than the run of the cycle. Therefore on the high and low point of your animation you can give it a bit more work to give your character personality.

What if she breathed in on the up. What if the visor eye wear bobbled on the up.

As a side note the bottom of your hair should also have drag since the pull is coming from the head. That means the bottom points on the up should be pointed downward just like the arm and wrist example.

For a first animated run cycle however, it is EXCELLENT.

If anyone is following along with what I'm doing here's my update: I have about three more weeks and I'll be finishing up a 180 picture pitch board for Frederator. The first pitch was fun, hopefully this one will be successful! I can't share yet due to NDA business.

Radicals posted:

I just squeezed every ounce of creativity I could muster into my first "animation", and didn't know where to put it. I hope you can all appreciate the quality and social commentary behind my piece;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQxhoXJB9k

This was interesting. It's like watching Frog Baseball by Mike Judge. There's some interesting idea in the adults terrifying the kid, but I think you lose some of the humor in being crude yet not clever. You didn't say what you wanted feedback on, so for now, I'll be brief with the most important question:

Would I watch more?... The answer is I'd watch another one if you worked on story and editing. I want to laugh more and feel less depressed with your setup. The animation MAY not be the thing you are focusing on the most and that's fine (see frog baseball).

Sparr posted:

I made some quick animations recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7qyAhjnSg

I too enjoy the chicken. Would chicken again.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Today for the first time in my life I successfully finished a three minute animation I created and directed a team of people to do. :unsmith:

I can honestly say few moments in my life compare with how immensely proud I am, it's a huge personal breakthrough for me. I now know why Olympian runners cry tears of joy when they win, it's been a long ride, and I finally managed to make something good out of it in the end.

it was hand animated all the way with special photoshop brushes to give a watercolor look, all frame by frame.

I cant share it right now, since it needs one more week of polish, but I have a question, I was leaning towards immediately releasing it online once its finished, but some people have been telling me to try the Festival circuit a little before I release it full time because that's where talent scouts are and they're generally anal about youtube. What do you guys think?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 12, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Al-Saqr posted:

Today for the first time in my life I successfully finished a three minute animation I created and directed a team of people to do. :unsmith:

I can honestly say few moments in my life compare with how immensely proud I am, it's a huge personal breakthrough for me. I now know why Olympian runners cry tears of joy when they win, it's been a long ride, and I finally managed to make something good out of it in the end.

it was hand animated all the way with special photoshop brushes to give a watercolor look, all frame by frame.

I cant share it right now, since it needs one more week of polish, but I have a question, I was leaning towards immediately releasing it online once its finished, but some people have been telling me to try the Festival circuit a little before I release it full time because that's where talent scouts are and they're generally anal about youtube. What do you guys think?

Lots of award givers DQ you if you've distributed your film online.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah, if you think its a contender for the festival circuit, hold onto it. it won't get screened most of the time if it's been online(or, in fact, at any other festival yet in a lot of cases). On the other hand, festival submission season has passed and you're going to have a long rear end time to wait before you can show it to anyone if you do this.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hey all! I've been goin to school for Animated Filmmaking for a year now, here is my vimeo page, http://vimeo.com/mistersad , hit it up! Or don't, I don't know

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

This sounds really cool :3: good luck with the festival circuit if that's the route you're taking!

I finished up my own short the other day. It started out as a basic exercise for different stuff, color, layout, character animation... and ended up chugging along until it became this.

It was suuuuper fun to make. It was originally just going to be a looping animation and I made up most of it as I went along, so I'm excited to get started on a new short with a fleshed-out story and all.

VVV thank you!!

mareep fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 5, 2015

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

redcheval posted:

This sounds really cool :3: good luck with the festival circuit if that's the route you're taking!

I finished up my own short the other day. It started out as a basic exercise for different stuff, color, layout, character animation... and ended up chugging along until it became this.

It was suuuuper fun to make. It was originally just going to be a looping animation and I made up most of it as I went along, so I'm excited to get started on a new short with a fleshed-out story and all.

bonafide awesome

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I made a cartoon. It's about a ghost who is cool. HIs name is Cool Ghost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EILY77fRZQ

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I liked Cool Ghost. He's one handsome phantom.

Likewise, my friend and I just finished a new cartoon. May I present to you Mr. Tony Dodd, who runs a used car lot up here in Upstate New York. Come buy one off him today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYRRtiixF8

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Not that much animation involved in the making of this, but I had fun with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC5i-QecS-Y

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

I like to make animations!

Like this Alka-Seltzer commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjyXGTEHgMc

Or this Wario:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Keith Stack posted:

I like to make animations!

Like this Alka-Seltzer commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjyXGTEHgMc

Or this Wario:

Those are wicked. In your video, with the mouths, are they frame-by-frame animation, or did you do any sort of shape tweening with them? It looks like something that could be done with either and a bunch of layers. Is it Flash or another program?

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Megaspel posted:

Those are wicked. In your video, with the mouths, are they frame-by-frame animation, or did you do any sort of shape tweening with them? It looks like something that could be done with either and a bunch of layers. Is it Flash or another program?

Thanks! It's frame-by-frame with the brush tool in Flash. I traced over the images of the faces for some key frames, then did a whooole bunch of in-between drawings.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Sorta animation related. I've been working on and off on this rig for the past year or so, and I've finally finished with the rig breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3uRNjEWfM

My next step is to tear down my website and build it back up again before my ad goes out in a couple days. Then I'll try and get an updated showreel cut together not too long after.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Sorta animation related. I've been working on and off on this rig for the past year or so, and I've finally finished with the rig breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3uRNjEWfM

My next step is to tear down my website and build it back up again before my ad goes out in a couple days. Then I'll try and get an updated showreel cut together not too long after.

This is hilarious. Good job man!

Throwing this question out there: What should I learn in terms of programs if I want to be an animator? I'm trying to teach myself instead of drowning in debt at an art school. So far I have Illustrator, After Effects, Flash, Photoshop and 3dsMax. Thing is, I don't want to waste my energy learning aspects of programs that aren't necessary. Is learning just rigging and animation okay for 3dsmax? For After affects should I ignore things that are more geared towards video editing? Why should I even learn illustrator? I only got it because someone said I should know it as an animator. Should I learn how to animate in some other program than flash? I know flash very well bit I feel it comes with a lot of limitations.

Any help would be appreciated!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Communist Toast posted:

This is hilarious. Good job man!

Throwing this question out there: What should I learn in terms of programs if I want to be an animator? I'm trying to teach myself instead of drowning in debt at an art school. So far I have Illustrator, After Effects, Flash, Photoshop and 3dsMax. Thing is, I don't want to waste my energy learning aspects of programs that aren't necessary. Is learning just rigging and animation okay for 3dsmax? For After affects should I ignore things that are more geared towards video editing? Why should I even learn illustrator? I only got it because someone said I should know it as an animator. Should I learn how to animate in some other program than flash? I know flash very well bit I feel it comes with a lot of limitations.

Any help would be appreciated!

What kind of stuff do you WANT to animate? That's going to narrow it down a lot. I have no idea why someone told you to learn Illustrator. :confused:

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

What kind of stuff do you WANT to animate? That's going to narrow it down a lot. I have no idea why someone told you to learn Illustrator. :confused:

I like character animation the most, it's really rewarding to be able to bring life to my drawings. I am only experienced with 2d though. I want to make my own cartoons, I've also thought about getting involved in making games in a small team. Thing is I also want a job, I want to be able to market myself as capable for a wide variety of jobs related to animation. I just want to cover all my bases.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

I like character animation the most, it's really rewarding to be able to bring life to my drawings. I am only experienced with 2d though. I want to make my own cartoons, I've also thought about getting involved in making games in a small team. Thing is I also want a job, I want to be able to market myself as capable for a wide variety of jobs related to animation. I just want to cover all my bases.

Do you have links to your existing work? My advice would change depending on where you're at currently.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Do you have links to your existing work? My advice would change depending on where you're at currently.

I don't have much at the moment. I just graduated with an associates in fine arts from a community college and decided to pursue my longtime hobby of animation. I'm currently trying to do a weekly challenge for myself to build up a portfolio and practice. Here's what I've been working on since yesterday:

The movement is a little choppier than I'd like it, but as my first walk cycle in many years I'm pretty happy with it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

I don't have much at the moment. I just graduated with an associates in fine arts from a community college and decided to pursue my longtime hobby of animation. I'm currently trying to do a weekly challenge for myself to build up a portfolio and practice. Here's what I've been working on since yesterday:

The movement is a little choppier than I'd like it, but as my first walk cycle in many years I'm pretty happy with it.

Looks great, it'd be cool to see it when it's done.

Forget about illustrator, that's really only for graphic design I reckon. You don't really need more than a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects, but it definitely is rather helpful for finishing touches if you know what you do with it. From there it gets a bit more complicated, because it changes depending on your specialization.

I'm a mostly 3D dude, I use Nuke, Maya and After Effects mostly. Nuke is great if you know exactly what's going on, and what stuff you need to render out from Maya and what to do with it, you probably don't have to worry too much about Nuke though, but it couldn't hurt to just learn what you can do with it, to see if you're interested in taking it further.

Maya/Max is probably pretty similar, I think it's just down to preference between the two, but different companies prefer different packages when you go work for them. I think Maya is better for animation in general, but I haven't a clue how to use 3DS Max, so I could be completely mistaken.

For 2D animation I would choose between Toonboom and TVpaint. Toonboom is a bit more like Flash, except not poo poo and terrible in every way. It's based on vectors and has lots of room for rigging and tweening and all of that sorta stuff if you're interested. TVPaint seems more simple, raster based, but it doesn't feel like it's had quite as much development time as Toonboom appears to have had. I don't have much experience in either, I've been out of practice with 2D animation for a while, and I need to get back into it at some point. If you're used to Flash, you're probably best upgrading to Toonboom. Whatever you do, don't stick with Flash, it's dying, Adobe's not going to be improving it any more, not that they ever did, but Flash is so bad in so many ways, and after a week of learning Toon Boom or whatever, you'll be glad you've left it in the dirt. Plus I doubt many major animation studios use Flash any more, if you want to work at a studio.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Looks great, it'd be cool to see it when it's done.

Forget about illustrator, that's really only for graphic design I reckon. You don't really need more than a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects, but it definitely is rather helpful for finishing touches if you know what you do with it. From there it gets a bit more complicated, because it changes depending on your specialization.

I'm a mostly 3D dude, I use Nuke, Maya and After Effects mostly. Nuke is great if you know exactly what's going on, and what stuff you need to render out from Maya and what to do with it, you probably don't have to worry too much about Nuke though, but it couldn't hurt to just learn what you can do with it, to see if you're interested in taking it further.

Maya/Max is probably pretty similar, I think it's just down to preference between the two, but different companies prefer different packages when you go work for them. I think Maya is better for animation in general, but I haven't a clue how to use 3DS Max, so I could be completely mistaken.

For 2D animation I would choose between Toonboom and TVpaint. Toonboom is a bit more like Flash, except not poo poo and terrible in every way. It's based on vectors and has lots of room for rigging and tweening and all of that sorta stuff if you're interested. TVPaint seems more simple, raster based, but it doesn't feel like it's had quite as much development time as Toonboom appears to have had. I don't have much experience in either, I've been out of practice with 2D animation for a while, and I need to get back into it at some point. If you're used to Flash, you're probably best upgrading to Toonboom. Whatever you do, don't stick with Flash, it's dying, Adobe's not going to be improving it any more, not that they ever did, but Flash is so bad in so many ways, and after a week of learning Toon Boom or whatever, you'll be glad you've left it in the dirt. Plus I doubt many major animation studios use Flash any more, if you want to work at a studio.

Thanks for all the advice man!

3D is definitely the most daunting part of learning animation to me. Sculpting feels so unnatural and tedious, but I want to learn to do it on top of animation. I read that you can sculpt in Zbrush and then adjust the topology for animation, is that true/actually easier? I'll definitely be dropping Flash and Illustrator, and pick up toonboom.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

Thanks for all the advice man!

3D is definitely the most daunting part of learning animation to me. Sculpting feels so unnatural and tedious, but I want to learn to do it on top of animation. I read that you can sculpt in Zbrush and then adjust the topology for animation, is that true/actually easier? I'll definitely be dropping Flash and Illustrator, and pick up toonboom.

Yeah, Zbrush is great for sculpting, but it takes a lot of time and practice to learn all the buttons. I personally don't think the UI is fantastic or intuitive, but it seems to have the best engine, and I know a lot of sculptors who have many more hours put in than me, love it. There's definitely a massive learning curve for it at the beginning, but well worth the time.

The stuff you sculpt in Zbrush isn't going to be usable in animation until you retopologize it, like you said, you can do this inside of Zbrush, but I still haven't figured out how, something to do with the retopo gun, I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials.

Since I'm lazy, I tend to just import the mesh into Maya, set it as a live object so that when I move vertices, it snaps onto the object. From their I just create a new mesh and edge model it around the zbrush mesh. The retopo gun method is probably quicker and better, so it's probably best to figure that out than to go through my lazy yet probably less-efficient method.

But yeah, good topology is 100% necessary for not poo poo animation. If you have bad topology, that's going to mess up the deformation super bad and make everything look like garbage. General rules of thumbs I follow, try to stick to quads as much as possible, sometimes I break this rule and hide a triangle up the nose or something, and always be aware of your loops. A loop is like a line of quads basically, you have a loop around the eyes, circles really, around the mouth, then like around the bridge of the nose but also upper lips. Crazy stuff, but it can be fun if you like solving puzzles, just look at good examples of topology for a decent idea of what you want to end up with.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 28, 2015

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Working on building partially 3D character rigs in AE because why not?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Communist Toast posted:

If I wanted to become a good 2D/3D animator on a budget I'd suggest 2 things:

Enroll in AnimSchool, an online animation school taught by pros at the big studios, and take a class or two from this lady: http://www.studio-technique.com/

That'll give you a really good basis in both 2d and 3D animation. You'd probably end up a better animator than a lot of people who drop 200k on a CalArts education, though you wouldn't quite have the connections and sensibility they develop there that gets them jobs as story artists and designers. But you'll be more prepared as an animator. And also not in debt.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Yeah, Zbrush is great for sculpting, but it takes a lot of time and practice to learn all the buttons. I personally don't think the UI is fantastic or intuitive, but it seems to have the best engine, and I know a lot of sculptors who have many more hours put in than me, love it. There's definitely a massive learning curve for it at the beginning, but well worth the time.

The stuff you sculpt in Zbrush isn't going to be usable in animation until you retopologize it, like you said, you can do this inside of Zbrush, but I still haven't figured out how, something to do with the retopo gun, I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials.

Since I'm lazy, I tend to just import the mesh into Maya, set it as a live object so that when I move vertices, it snaps onto the object. From their I just create a new mesh and edge model it around the zbrush mesh. The retopo gun method is probably quicker and better, so it's probably best to figure that out than to go through my lazy yet probably less-efficient method.

But yeah, good topology is 100% necessary for not poo poo animation. If you have bad topology, that's going to mess up the deformation super bad and make everything look like garbage. General rules of thumbs I follow, try to stick to quads as much as possible, sometimes I break this rule and hide a triangle up the nose or something, and always be aware of your loops. A loop is like a line of quads basically, you have a loop around the eyes, circles really, around the mouth, then like around the bridge of the nose but also upper lips. Crazy stuff, but it can be fun if you like solving puzzles, just look at good examples of topology for a decent idea of what you want to end up with.

Interesting, I'll look into the retopo gun. Looking at it as a puzzle seems like the best way to avoid getting frustrated at it, I'll keep at it!

Ccs posted:

If I wanted to become a good 2D/3D animator on a budget I'd suggest 2 things:

Enroll in AnimSchool, an online animation school taught by pros at the big studios, and take a class or two from this lady: http://www.studio-technique.com/

That'll give you a really good basis in both 2d and 3D animation. You'd probably end up a better animator than a lot of people who drop 200k on a CalArts education, though you wouldn't quite have the connections and sensibility they develop there that gets them jobs as story artists and designers. But you'll be more prepared as an animator. And also not in debt.

Hm, I'll look into it. Right now I cant get the page to load, but I've bookmarked it for later.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What's a good program for doing simple hand drawn animations? Like I want to just be able to draw a bunch of frames of figures and test how it animates then ink them in mangastudio or photoshop.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Macksy posted:

What's a good program for doing simple hand drawn animations? Like I want to just be able to draw a bunch of frames of figures and test how it animates then ink them in mangastudio or photoshop.

Not sure if you have a mac or pc, but if you have a mac this is very simple but does the job. Just pick 24 frames per second and duplicate your images if you want to work with 12 frames per second or 8 frames per second.

I'm not sure if you want to draw them in another program or if you want to scan them in? I assume you're scanning them in because it's hand drawn. If not photoshop actually has decent enough animation support. I wouldn't pick it as my primary recommendation, but I know some people who do great animations just using photoshop so there is that (simple, more complex).

Obviously if you want a program designed for animation, you have to put forth some dough, but photoshop is pretty okay for animation now that they support onion skinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Macksy posted:

What are you using it for? Because if it's just for practice then there are loads of free stuff. There's this one person on tumblr who uses some DS app to make some pretty nifty stuff.