Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bruce Campbell's Running Time was a good 'one-take' robbery movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Here's a trailer for Victoria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8wcV3GjW0

It's a heist thriller shot in a single take.

What really makes it awesome is it's a true unbroken take for almost 2.5 hours. No hidden cuts.

Usually when people try this sort of thing it's stitched together out of lots of smaller sections.
To do it all in one, at that length, across so many locations, is pretty goddamn insane.

Doesn't mean it will be good, but it's impressive as hell. I would love to watch a live 2.5 hour feed of the behind the scenes on that.

It also wouldn't surprise me if we see more and more of these single-take movies coming along.
The tech for it is pretty recent (good affordable digital cameras + affordable long-battery-life gimbal stabilizer systems), and it's great at putting the audience in the middle of the action.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That has a lot of interesting implications. The planning has to be ironclad, all around there have to be people preparing while staying invisible, anything that goes wrong has to be improvised around by the actors, wow. I think a Making Of of that will be at least as interesting. I imagine it'll be exhausting to watch, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

davidspackage posted:

That has a lot of interesting implications. The planning has to be ironclad, all around there have to be people preparing while staying invisible, anything that goes wrong has to be improvised around by the actors, wow. I think a Making Of of that will be at least as interesting. I imagine it'll be exhausting to watch, though.

Russian Ark did something similar and it was both amazing and exhausting.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Russian Ark was boring as poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bolek posted:

Imagine if there's a stick-up in the middle of that movie.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Stick a fork in it, that goose is bumped.

Goosebumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us73jcBFB_E

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

I wonder how many takes they had to do to get it in the can. :ohdear:

I know that this 4 minute single cut fight scene from The Protector/Tom-Yung-Goong needed five takes because stunt props kept refusing to break, crash mats weren't in place in time, etc etc.. Since it took so long to reset between takes it took them an entire month to get it filmed.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder how many takes they had to do to get it in the can. :ohdear:

I know that this 4 minute single cut fight scene from The Protector/Tom-Yung-Goong needed five takes because stunt props kept refusing to break, crash mats weren't in place in time, etc etc.. Since it took so long to reset between takes it took them an entire month to get it filmed.

Also tony jaa kept forgetting to say "WHERE'S MY ELEPHANT" at the end

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So, like The Insider but about CTE.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Huh, that's interesting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Title is a little on the nose don't you think?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bolek posted:

You're wrong and should feel bad.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

second-hand smegma posted:

So, like The Insider but about CTE.

Man... The Insider. What a loving great movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BonoMan posted:

The Insider was Hollywood's chance to reward Michael Mann after they passed over Heat and even then all he got was a nomination, those rat faced bastards. Then he made blackhat.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Michael Mann is my favorite director and I've had Blackhat for like a month now, but I'm still too afraid to watch it. I loved Miami Vice despite the critical reception, but still. I can't handle coming out of a Mann movie and having to go "that sucked"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mandrel posted:

Michael Mann is my favorite director and I've had Blackhat for like a month now, but I'm still too afraid to watch it. I loved Miami Vice despite the critical reception, but still. I can't handle coming out of a Mann movie and having to go "that sucked"

It's not as good as Miami Vice but it owns. It's a Michael Mann movie, it's got the juice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

My thought exactly. If anyone doesn't know what it's about this will catch you up. Will Smith plays one of the researchers interviewed therein.

edit;

sbaldrick posted:

Bad man. Bad. Man.

BonoMan posted:

Never forget that depression-drunk fade-in scene scored to Meltdown.

Cacator posted:

The Insider was Hollywood's chance to reward Michael Mann after they passed over Heat and even then all he got was a nomination, those rat faced bastards. Then he made blackhat.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone wishes they could take back the American Beauty BP win.

Mandrel posted:

You'll be fine. It's prettier than Miami Vice but slightly less cohesive. No worries.

Plus

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 1, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

second-hand smegma posted:

I'm pretty sure just about everyone wishes they could take back the American Beauty BP win.

Every time someone mentions American Beauty I'm compelled to bring up The Insider because I thought it was the far far superior flick.

I think American Beauty was a good film and had a good story (if not a bit ham fisted), but The Insider was just an expertly crafted film.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The Insider is Mann's crowning achievement, which is pretty incredible considering how many stone-cold classics are in his filmography.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mandrel posted:

It's still got a fair share of Mann-ish moments and some nice cinematography, and apparently it has some of the most realistic scenes of hacking in a movie, but it's sorely lacking in soundtrack or a plot that you can care much about. Plus the final act is a bit problematic when depicting the Indonesian locals as nothing but cannon fodder during the white men's showdown.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
31 flavors of suffering and madness
:yum:

Baskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BN8MaQ38U4

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 1, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

So this looks pretty good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's basic in a good way. The movie is not just about concussions in football, but also the damage and after effects of the collision between Bennett Omalu and the NFL.

The director is someone called Peter Landesman, with his only other directing credit being Parkland. Was that any good?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sbaldrick posted:

There's literally constant motion and things going on. Saying it's boring is close to a lie.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I enjoyed the first trailer a lot more, but here's the second trailer for Tale of Tales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ETi804w-E

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 1, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
"O full of scorpions is my mind."

Macbeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFAn5IaFS0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Edit: ↑ That Macbeth movie also got the director a job directing the Assassin's Creed movie, starring and produced by Fassbender.

The Lobster, starring Collin Farrel as a man who is going to become a lobster unless he finds a partner. From the director of Dogtooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpt0tn1-54k

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 4, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You had me with Dogtooth. And hey, is that that funny fat dude from The Office I hear? Looks pretty cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The MSJ posted:

The Lobster, starring Collin Farrel as a man who is going to become a lobster unless he finds a partner. From the director of Dogtooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpt0tn1-54k

Haha what the hell?! That looks completely bizarre, but also really good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New Beasts of No Nation trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw

Looks loving great

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a jolly rip-roaring good feel time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah...stuff like this makes me wonder if I should start paying attention to Netflix programming. Looks like they've made some moves. I kind of dropped out back when they were still just a service that mailed you physical discs. :v:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Netflix is making great TV in just about every genre you can name. It's been a really good year for their original shows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah they're quickly approaching HBO level in my complex internal ranking system.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GonSmithe posted:

New Beasts of No Nation trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw

Looks loving great

Holy poo poo, looks intense.

Edit: Actually, it reminded of the super excellent documentary Virunga, also a Netflix original. Not because the story is similar (it's not), but because one of the main persons followed by the documentary is an ex-child soldier who is now a Park Ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxXf2Vxj_EU

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 5, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Hard to compete, but here's another trailer for an upcoming flick with what looks like potentially child soldiers.

The Partisan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5nblYINZk

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 5, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alehkhs posted:

Hard to compete, but here's another trailer for an upcoming flick with what looks like potentially child soldiers.

The Partisan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5nblYINZk

It looks very different though, almost magical-realist from the trailer. Anyway Vincent Cassel is on my list so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It looks very different though, almost magical-realist from the trailer. Anyway Vincent Cassel is on my list so.

Oh yeah, I'm interested in both. I just noted the parallel, but I suspect the overlap doesn't extend much beyond that.

• Locked thread