Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I've always been curious about oldschool eq and would love to try this but man is it just too many hoops to jump through to acquire Everquest Platinum. Hell if I could just buy the base game I'd be willing to do that even, but noooooooo

Instead I'll just keep reading this thread and live eq vicariously through somethingawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eerkik posted:

I've always been curious about oldschool eq and would love to try this but man is it just too many hoops to jump through to acquire Everquest Platinum. Hell if I could just buy the base game I'd be willing to do that even, but noooooooo

Instead I'll just keep reading this thread and live eq vicariously through somethingawful

Its not too hard to find if you look around :ninja:

You should play. One of us, one of us...

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Eerkik posted:

Just torrent it like everyone else in this thread did.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I cant swarm kite:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK3KBd-aCs

On a side note, Waldo did it with grace, as an artist, with gentle strokes. he had 80 enemies on him at one point and didnt get hit once. Look at that perfect circle. I dinged twice in less than an hour. I'm up to 25 enemies but I still get smacked around a bit.

Also, I saw Flowers of Happiness on red. Is it anyone here?

MageMage fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 3, 2015

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Summit posted:

Awesome! Will you be on tonight? I'll probably be around EC around 7 CST. (this was for blue by the way)

I'll be on around 11:30 EST. look me up on Skullmonkey or Klaymen

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Won't be on that late but I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

Eerkik posted:

Seriously, what hoops? You can obtain a copy of EQ Titanium and have it running in less than 30 minutes. Use Google.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

While we're talking "nice to have" features, if you could have a "breadcrumb mode" where it'd keep a history of your past locs, possibly as different colored dots, would be super useful. Especially if you could draw a line between them so you had a rough version of your path.

I spent like 30 minutes coming up with this.

It basically just plots a curved dotted line from past locations. It doesn't have different colors and it doesn't show the /loc points that the line runs through right now but it could be useful. I made it use the 10 most recent locations but that could be something that could be configurable. Let me know if this is kind of what you were wanting and i can maybe work on it a little more and send the code to Pilsner if he wants to include it.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Niedar posted:

It basically just plots a curved dotted line from past locations. It doesn't have different colors and it doesn't show the /loc points that the line runs through right now but it could be useful. I made it use the 10 most recent locations but that could be something that could be configurable. Let me know if this is kind of what you were wanting and i can maybe work on it a little more and send the code to Pilsner if he wants to include it.

Does map data exist for great divide? If not, how can I put it in there?

e: Had a blast PLing the full group on red tonight. Thanks for sticking it out until 3am when there were only 70 people on the whole server :P

MageMage fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 4, 2015

Hoppy Goodness
Nov 26, 2007
Big thanks to Lahara on Red for letting me (Minamata) leech off the swarmkite clinic you put on. For the first time I have a character at level 50!

If anybody comes across Words of Grappling or Words of Acquisition (Beza) in their travels let me know!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Hoppy Goodness posted:

Big thanks to Lahara on Red for letting me (Minamata) leech off the swarmkite clinic you put on. For the first time I have a character at level 50!

If anybody comes across Words of Grappling or Words of Acquisition (Beza) in their travels let me know!

I'm honestly considering starting a second bard just to help PL newcomers! That was a lot of fun and I gained 2 levels in like 4 hours? I wasn't as fast as some bards, but we got results for sure!

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw those words drop on a man o war. You might ask around the people who were in the group for them.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

e: nvm

MageMage fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 4, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

MageMage posted:

Swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite?

Swarm kite swarm kite, swarm kite swarm kite swarm kite!!!!!

In the original game I figured out how to do this on my own and it was pretty awesome. Then later they patched it so that Bard point-blank damage-over-time songs did ZERO damage if the monster affected was moving at all. ZERO. Game was pretty much dead to me at that point.

I remember they also patched kiting in general some number of years or so before so that DOTs did a fuckload less damage if the monster was moving as well, but took it out much later after several more years of people complaining how stupid it was. Did they put that in here too for the sake of being "classic"?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 4, 2015

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

MageMage posted:

Does map data exist for great divide? If not, how can I put it in there?

e: Had a blast PLing the full group on red tonight. Thanks for sticking it out until 3am when there were only 70 people on the whole server :P

I just checked and there seems to be a map for the great divide.

The map is all data driven so you don't need to edit any code.
A small description is on Pilsners website here: http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap#9_How_it_Works

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Niedar posted:

Yeah dude that's pretty awesome. If you could configure how "long" the trail was that'd be pretty sweet.

What happens if you die or zone out, does it clear the trail history?

Mercury_Storm posted:

In the original game I figured out how to do this on my own and it was pretty awesome. Then later they patched it so that Bard point-blank damage-over-time songs did ZERO damage if the monster affected was moving at all. ZERO. Game was pretty much dead to me at that point.

I remember they also patched kiting in general some number of years or so before so that DOTs did a fuckload less damage if the monster was moving as well, but took it out much later after several more years of people complaining how stupid it was. Did they put that in here too for the sake of being "classic"?

Yes on P1999 DOTs will do like half damage if the mob is moving when they tick. Its a little annoying but you can work around it, root-rot if that's what you're looking for or otherwise kite with DD or quad-kite with AOE.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 4, 2015

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

I'll be playing sometime tonight after work! Today's perfect because tomorrow is my only day off for quite some time in the foreseeable future

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 5, 2015

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah dude that's pretty awesome. If you could configure how "long" the trail was that'd be pretty sweet.

What happens if you die or zone out, does it clear the trail history?

Yes on P1999 DOTs will do like half damage if the mob is moving when they tick. Its a little annoying but you can work around it, root-rot if that's what you're looking for or otherwise kite with DD or quad-kite with AOE.

Yeah, setting the length of the trail is probably better than the number of points and is something I can change with a little more effort. As for clearing the trail history on zone out, it doesn't right now but would only take a minute to add. Can you tell me if there is a message logged when you die? I don't have a client set up to run right now so I can not test it to find out. If there is I can look at adding clearing the trail on death and also put a marker on the map when you die with the last loc you were at.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Niedar posted:

Yeah, setting the length of the trail is probably better than the number of points and is something I can change with a little more effort. As for clearing the trail history on zone out, it doesn't right now but would only take a minute to add. Can you tell me if there is a message logged when you die? I don't have a client set up to run right now so I can not test it to find out. If there is I can look at adding clearing the trail on death and also put a marker on the map when you die with the last loc you were at.

[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Auto attack is on.
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You try to punch Priest of Discord, but miss!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Priest of Discord crushes YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You have been knocked unconscious!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You have been slain by Priest of Discord!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Priest of Discord shouts, 'Let this fool's meaningless death be a reminder to you that the power of Discord is absolute!'
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:51 2015] Returning to Everfrost, please wait...
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:52 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Eerkik posted:

emailed to myself and I'll be playing sometime tonight after work! Today's perfect because tomorrow is my only day off for quite some time in the foreseeable future

I'm not on the mainland at the moment but if you come to red perminately I'll make you a set of banded :)

Send your forum name to "Lahara". I'm usually on much later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Niedar posted:

Yeah putting an automatic marker when you die would be legit super useful. If I'm smart enough I hit /loc but then I've gotta figure out where on the map that is manually after I spawn, having a marker would be super convenient.

Looks like "you have been slain" is the key phrase you'd look for, and I guess just grab the most recent /loc before that ideally.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

a real jerk posted:

[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Auto attack is on.
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You try to punch Priest of Discord, but miss!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Priest of Discord crushes YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You have been knocked unconscious!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] You have been slain by Priest of Discord!
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:47 2015] Priest of Discord shouts, 'Let this fool's meaningless death be a reminder to you that the power of Discord is absolute!'
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:51 2015] Returning to Everfrost, please wait...
[Fri Sep 04 15:26:52 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

Welcome to the OP

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Quote!=edit

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Holy poo poo I give up trying to get this to work tonight, error after loving error

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

Eerkik posted:

Holy poo poo I give up trying to get this to work tonight, error after loving error

Did you follow the instructions on what to do after you install it? Some files have to be deleted/replaced.

Did you use power ISO or something like that to mount a virtual drive and install it?

Did you patch it? If so, reinstall it.

Also, install it in ANYTHING but the program files folder. For some reason applications cant edit files in newer versions of windows, so install it in C:/games or something.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone on blue have experience whacking down Renux for the rogue epic? It's been so many years - is just having a kiter & myself enough to do it?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I just put up a new version (6) with the following changes:
  • The font size of the legend text can now be changed in the Settings & Help form. Default size is 10.
  • Fixed incorrectly named Great Divide zone name in the ZoneData-Project1999.txt file, so that the map for Great Divide now loads without errors.
  • Fixed a small error in the vertical loc labels on the Ocean of Tears map.
Here's a direct link:

http://www.zlizeq.com/Files/ZlizEQMap-v6.zip

Interesting work on the trail / dot thing, although I will hold my horses until I'm sure it's worth spending time on. Is it for farming or kiting and such that a trail of past locs would be useful?

Auto-making a /loc when dying isn't possible for sure.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah putting an automatic marker when you die would be legit super useful. If I'm smart enough I hit /loc but then I've gotta figure out where on the map that is manually after I spawn, having a marker would be super convenient.

Looks like "you have been slain" is the key phrase you'd look for, and I guess just grab the most recent /loc before that ideally.
If you do a /loc just before you die, and scroll up to see the loc, you can just put it in the waypoint text-box in the top-right corner, then click the "Set WP" button. It will put a little blue circle on the map where that loc is.

Ironically I had to highlight the waypoint with red in the screenshot, since it's a fairly low-visible blue circle, but you should see it pop up when you do it yourself.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

Ramulack posted:

Anyone on blue have experience whacking down Renux for the rogue epic? It's been so many years - is just having a kiter & myself enough to do it?

Yes if the kiter can hold aggro you can just beat her down with the rogue & snares & dots. Also I want to tag along and help you for the sword drop, which is one of the better off-hand aggro proc weapons in the game outside of poopsock raiding.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I just started in Red as a high elf enchanter. Delivering mail while watching netflix :toot:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

Yes if the kiter can hold aggro you can just beat her down with the rogue & snares & dots. Also I want to tag along and help you for the sword drop, which is one of the better off-hand aggro proc weapons in the game outside of poopsock raiding.

Sure the more the merrier. My ign is Marchand (rogue) but I have been playing my necro a lot lately (Tibmit)

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone on that can kite renux? ign Marchand blue

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Erdricks posted:

I just started in Red as a high elf enchanter. Delivering mail while watching netflix :toot:

I rolled a cleric to play with this goon.

Thank you Lahara for recommending a team up from a random stranger.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

I rolled a cleric to play with this goon.

Thank you Lahara for recommending a team up from a random stranger.

If anyone else wants to roll with us on red, our plan is to play evenings (9pm+) EST.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Erdricks posted:

I think I saw you in the bard guild in kelethin. I was the blue bard named Toccata.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Erdricks posted:

If anyone else wants to roll with us on red, our plan is to play evenings (9pm+) EST.

I just hit 11 from belts, ill wait for you. Also, I get bind at 14.

Thunderdome is alright by me, one of their officers PL'd a bunch of us in CB. All we had to do was run to him and got thorns/chloro/sln/sow

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think I saw you in the bard guild in kelethin. I was the blue bard named Toccata.

I remember you! I gotta go turn in my belts, buy spells, and then later tonight I want to hit 12 and do stein of moggok.

edit: I just don't think it's right to play an enchanter that isn't double fisting beer mugs.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

MageMage posted:

Did you follow the instructions on what to do after you install it? Some files have to be deleted/replaced.

Did you use power ISO or something like that to mount a virtual drive and install it?

Did you patch it? If so, reinstall it.

Also, install it in ANYTHING but the program files folder. For some reason applications cant edit files in newer versions of windows, so install it in C:/games or something.

I followed the instructions, I just keep getting errors but I installed to program files and that's the latest hangup. I've installed twice now, first time I think I almost had it working but I didn't have the eqclient.ini for osme reason file

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
EQ is portable. Get it installed properly and then you can move/copy the folder wherever you want. I used to keep an install on a thumb drive to run on my office computer back in my batphone days.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I haven't been on p1999 in a couple of months but going to try to play this weekend. Hit up Ainwein on red if you need PL or help with anything.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

Thunderdome is alright by me, one of their officers PL'd a bunch of us in CB. All we had to do was run to him and got thorns/chloro/sln/sow

Yeah, most of us that aren't in raiding guilds (Hardon/anime) or full on insane poopsockers (pwnz0r) are in Thunderdome and pretty chill these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

FranktheBank posted:

I did some pling in CB last night too. I just pulled the zone, sang my debuff song and let the TD lowbies bash away at the mobs. Got them Crush and Dvinn too. Was a real fun night.