Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I had a few minutes after work yesterday. Flew over my local Catholic Church and snapped some pics. No time to edit or anything so please mercilessly mock my photography skills. :eng101:

Church Building

Town water tower

Cemetery/Grotto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love aerials. One day I'll pick up something that can fly a full camera for the effect.

For some reason the last photo reminded me of the old "airplane crash in Polish cemetery" joke and I couldn't stop giggling.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Martytoof posted:

I love aerials. One day I'll pick up something that can fly a full camera for the effect.

For some reason the last photo reminded me of the old "airplane crash in Polish cemetery" joke and I couldn't stop giggling.

Having a great time with my Phantom 3 Advanced so far. Haven't gotten that much time to fly it but when I have it's awesome.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pixhawk good? Seems like a mongo huge one, tho.

How many of you guys without racing drones actually fly in rate mode, anyway?

Also, I tried myself at PID tuning a while ago. I thought initially I had some nice values, because basic flight patterns seemed to work OK, but for some reason I had to dial expo back a little. Never gave it a second thought. Now as days get windier, I noticed that the drone has a tendency to want to topple over into the flight direction. I figured I start tuning again, and at the end I had different values and needed the expo again for same control feeling. Turns I had to raise P by 30% and dial I back by 40%. The drone was apparently flying more on I than P, errors seemed to accumulate to the point that a small wind gust would push it over, because the PID controller could react fast enough. Tuning in rate mode in the wind is however a loving pain in the rear end.

PID values are stable under the circumstances that you've tuned them in, once you introduce dynamics such as windspeed/etc, they go out the window. From my understanding of control engineering, on-the-spot PID stability is quite tricky to do, if not impossible.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I'm flying around with my 250 quad, and every once in a while, it'll seem like it looses power. This is a new occurrence, I've flown this thing for several dozen hours with nothing like this. It will continue with the same command, like angle of roll or pitch or what have you, but it sounds like the engines are cutting out, all at once. As suddenly as this happens, it'll catch again, try to right itself, and go along merrily (assuming it doesn't crash). I did a break down, nothing is loose, and all of the connections are soldered well. I don't think it's one connection, as the whole thing is loosing power. I don't have any experience trouble shooting quads, so where should I look? My initial guess is the power distribution board may be bad? Any advice?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Takkaryx posted:

I'm flying around with my 250 quad, and every once in a while, it'll seem like it looses power. This is a new occurrence, I've flown this thing for several dozen hours with nothing like this. It will continue with the same command, like angle of roll or pitch or what have you, but it sounds like the engines are cutting out, all at once. As suddenly as this happens, it'll catch again, try to right itself, and go along merrily (assuming it doesn't crash). I did a break down, nothing is loose, and all of the connections are soldered well. I don't think it's one connection, as the whole thing is loosing power. I don't have any experience trouble shooting quads, so where should I look? My initial guess is the power distribution board may be bad? Any advice?

Any chance it may actually be your Tx?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrest that rear end! posted:

For the first time in ages I have two fully functional mini quads at the same time (instead of one or more broken ones):

FPV race meet this weekend with a course that goes around a pond, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Could you give me some advice or pointers for getting a custom frame cut? Do you do it with a waterjet? I've been printing these 180mm frames for 5" props and I've come up with something I'd like permanent. Is it a web service you upload an .EPS to, or is it a local custom shop?

You absolutely can fit 5" props on a 180mm frame, but every 180mm frame online will only fit 4" props because they are wider than they are long. Unacceptable.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You usually cut cf with a cnc router

a 2x4 one is getting assembled at our makerspace now, so I hope to get some stuff cut soon
I can't remember, are you in Toronto?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 4, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WCDuYMyyA

a 2x4 one is getting assembled at our makerspace now, so I hope to get some stuff cut soon

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I can't remember, are you in Toronto?

no

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 4, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Woo he HK order arrived within two days! Still waiting for the TX from the UK but this gives me some time to assemble what I have and agonize over all the batteries having different loving connectors.

Anyway, in addition to the missing drone parts, I also got the Floater Jet/EasyStar thingy. Apparently I'm supposed to glue the wings in place to the fuselage, which isn't great because I suspect the whole plane won't fit into my Miata. Are there any tricks possible to keep the wings removable, or is that just not possible while maintaining the necessary strength?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Odette posted:

PID values are stable under the circumstances that you've tuned them in, once you introduce dynamics such as windspeed/etc, they go out the window. From my understanding of control engineering, on-the-spot PID stability is quite tricky to do, if not impossible.
Yeah, I figure that. Just seemed like I underestimated P too much the first time around. Now it copes better with wind, tho. To a certain degree anyway, it's a 250 after all. Was gone flying in higher winds on Thursday, was kind of a clusterfuck.

In better news, Fat Shark fixed my goggles and they're on the way back home. I can finally start dicking around some more in rate mode. :woop:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Can a water jet cutter deal with CF?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Finally got everything assembled for my FPV quad! Had some wiring confusion and ended up resorting to using a hand-drawn wiring diagram from an obscure RC forum posted in 2014. :v:

First FPV flight was seriously one of the coolest things I've ever done. Now to get an action cam to record my flights...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

I also got the Floater Jet/EasyStar thingy. Apparently I'm supposed to glue the wings in place to the fuselage, which isn't great because I suspect the whole plane won't fit into my Miata. Are there any tricks possible to keep the wings removable, or is that just not possible while maintaining the necessary strength?

I think I have pictures of my floater jet in this thread. I use Velcro tabs to hold the wings in. Just glue the wing spar channels all the way across, and leave the spar itself floating free inside, then you can decide how you want to secure the wings to each other.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can a water jet cutter deal with CF?

Water jets cut CF better than a CNC router does because the CF wears down router bits very quickly, unless you use diamond abrasive bits, but those just take forever to cut in general. However it's much easier to build a simple CNC gantry that holds a high speed spindle, compared to building a high pressure water/garnet jet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cool, thanks. Was just wondering, because I have a friend that has a water jet cutter at work and can cut a bunch of plates of the frame for my upcoming drone. The initial version will be in GRP, because it's cheaper, but I want carbon eventually, after seeing the abuse my cheap Nighthawk carbon frame can take. However I keep reading things about fibers fringing on the cutting sites.

Also, speaking of custom stuff, I had a shower thought about 3D printing custom props. Would printed ABS pieces survive the high RPMs of 4S 1000kv motors (i.e. do they have strength similar to injection moulded parts), or will I have to dodge plastic shrapnel? I wanted to try all sorts of stupid poo poo, like golfball dimples and special blade ends used with helicopters.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cool, thanks. Was just wondering, because I have a friend that has a water jet cutter at work and can cut a bunch of plates of the frame for my upcoming drone. The initial version will be in GRP, because it's cheaper, but I want carbon eventually, after seeing the abuse my cheap Nighthawk carbon frame can take. However I keep reading things about fibers fringing on the cutting sites.

Also, speaking of custom stuff, I had a shower thought about 3D printing custom props. Would printed ABS pieces survive the high RPMs of 4S 1000kv motors (i.e. do they have strength similar to injection moulded parts), or will I have to dodge plastic shrapnel? I wanted to try all sorts of stupid poo poo, like golfball dimples and special blade ends used with helicopters.

So would you be doing the acetone bath thing to make the surfaces smooth? PLA has better layer adhesion and is an overall stronger material I read. Nylon is even stronger and most printers can handle nylon filament but it is finicky.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Any chance it may actually be your Tx?

How would I go about troubleshooting this? I'm using a CC3D board with OpenPilot, so I can fiddle with stuff on the computer, but I don't know what I should be looking for or how to re-create the issue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

So would you be doing the acetone bath thing to make the surfaces smooth? PLA has better layer adhesion and is an overall stronger material I read. Nylon is even stronger and most printers can handle nylon filament but it is finicky.
I have no idea what you just said. I just have loose plans for 3D printing some parts, mainly the camera chassis and maybe small winglets to divert some downwash over the ESCs (I'm planning carbon tubes as arms, to which to clip these winglets on, probably also doubling as landing gear), the prop thing came up as a side thought. The idea was to design some stuff in 3dsmax and get it printed over at Shapeways. I suppose I'll be looking whether they can do nylon or not.

--edit: Shapeways seems to print with nylon powder. Is that worth anything? I usually see something about filaments.

--edit2: Any particular reason why a lot of drone props have sharp leading edges? I thought wings should have blunt ones?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 5, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no idea what you just said. I just have loose plans for 3D printing some parts, mainly the camera chassis and maybe small winglets to divert some downwash over the ESCs (I'm planning carbon tubes as arms, to which to clip these winglets on, probably also doubling as landing gear), the prop thing came up as a side thought. The idea was to design some stuff in 3dsmax and get it printed over at Shapeways. I suppose I'll be looking whether they can do nylon or not.

--edit: Shapeways seems to print with nylon powder. Is that worth anything? I usually see something about filaments.

--edit2: Any particular reason why a lot of drone props have sharp leading edges? I thought wings should have blunt ones?

I would stay really far away from printing your own props. Shapeways is good, but the method they use to print creates brittle parts. So much stress is put on the props, they really should have as perfectly smooth a surface as possible. Chassis parts will be pretty reliable though.

No idea about the prop edges but Bullnose props are the type I prefer, are those the kind you were expecting to see?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wings have to work over a large angle of attack range.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

No idea about the prop edges but Bullnose props are the type I prefer, are those the kind you were expecting to see?
Nah, I figured it'd be nice to toy with a bunch of aerodynamic concepts just because. Like those BlueEdge rotor wingtips, adding vortex generators on the blades for the Tubercle effect. Just to see if it has an effect over normal props.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Well I received my Taranis. Really looking nice, and the guy at rclife.co.uk was very nice and helpful.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Round noses are hard to mold... At least with any accuracy. That the bulk of the reason cheap props are sharp. Now there's a lot more to it, and it's a deep rabbit hole, but I can leave you with a few things.

First, propellers are really hard. Just in general. We'll look at the specific case of a multicopter, but to a lesser extent this covers all things that use a spinny thing stirring up air outside of a duct.

Lets talk about AoA. If we're trundling along at say.. 20mph, the hub of your 5" prop is probably seeing 40mph incoming air. The air near the tip is going to be seeing air moving at 120mph. The airfoils that work best at those speeds are vastly different. Now lets say you're really hauling, and you're doing 70mph. The tip speeds may be in the same ballpark, but now your hub, instead of seeing 40mph, is seeing 70mph air. That's a heck of an AOA change. This is also why the prop near the hub, is really not all that useful. When I calculate useful rotor area, I usually throw out the inner third of the props swept area.

Okey, so we've figured out that operating over a wide speed range makes props have a bad day. How about cross sections? Props are more limited by their ultimate strength, than by their airfoil shape. Spinning a prop puts a lot of force on the blade root. Blade roots are often thickened, to the detriment of their airfoil section.

That said, the same rules apply to props, as do wings. A good airfoil section on a prop makes a big difference. Lets say you use Cessnas standby, the NACA-2412 By the time you scale an airfoil down to multicopter rotor sizes, a 12% thick airfoil seems pretty razor thin.

Sharp leading edges "also work pretty well" for airfoils. Especially as you start to get to really fast prop speeds.

It's worth reading this: http://rexresearch.com/lippsprop/lipps.htm And https://books.google.com/books?id=x...opellor&f=false

So... how deep do you wanna go? :-)

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Wings have to work over a large angle of attack range.

So do props. Imagine what the AOA is like at hover, and at 70mph.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nerobro posted:

We'll see. The planning and making part of the drones is currently more fun than actual flying. Yesterday I finally figured out how to make more complex parts (like lofts and fillets) in Inventor and designed a basic prop. Now I just need to figure out how to do features like tubercles or golf ball dimples. And find out if there are better 3D printing services than Shapeways. And I also have a whole paper sheet full of formulas and scribbles to calculate AoA and poo poo to calculate a constant pitch propeller. :v:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Round noses are hard to mold... At least with any accuracy. That the bulk of the reason cheap props are sharp. Now there's a lot more to it, and it's a deep rabbit hole, but I can leave you with a few things.

First, propellers are really hard. Just in general. We'll look at the specific case of a multicopter, but to a lesser extent this covers all things that use a spinny thing stirring up air outside of a duct.

Lets talk about AoA. If we're trundling along at say.. 20mph, the hub of your 5" prop is probably seeing 40mph incoming air. The air near the tip is going to be seeing air moving at 120mph. The airfoils that work best at those speeds are vastly different. Now lets say you're really hauling, and you're doing 70mph. The tip speeds may be in the same ballpark, but now your hub, instead of seeing 40mph, is seeing 70mph air. That's a heck of an AOA change. This is also why the prop near the hub, is really not all that useful. When I calculate useful rotor area, I usually throw out the inner third of the props swept area.

Okey, so we've figured out that operating over a wide speed range makes props have a bad day. How about cross sections? Props are more limited by their ultimate strength, than by their airfoil shape. Spinning a prop puts a lot of force on the blade root. Blade roots are often thickened, to the detriment of their airfoil section.

That said, the same rules apply to props, as do wings. A good airfoil section on a prop makes a big difference. Lets say you use Cessnas standby, the NACA-2412 By the time you scale an airfoil down to multicopter rotor sizes, a 12% thick airfoil seems pretty razor thin.

Sharp leading edges "also work pretty well" for airfoils. Especially as you start to get to really fast prop speeds.

It's worth reading this: http://rexresearch.com/lippsprop/lipps.htm And https://books.google.com/books?id=x...opellor&f=false

So do props. Imagine what the AOA is like at hover, and at 70mph.

This is great. Please go into as much depth as you'd like. Particularly interested in tradeoffs between efficiency and noise in prop design.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
My goggles came with a camera switch, with the intention of allowing quick switching between the FPV view and the view in front of me. Do people usually just wire up another FPV camera and attach it to the goggles for this purpose, or is there a specific type of camera I should use for this?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd just do the cheapest board camera you can find

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Going off the deep end... :suicide:

--edit: The airflow is unrealistic, because the simulated wind tunnel is too narrow and compresses air too much. Still looks neat, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 7, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:woop: The Taranis is here (well, at the post office), of course it arrived while I went out to get lunch for half an hour.

CrazyLittle posted:

I think I have pictures of my floater jet in this thread. I use Velcro tabs to hold the wings in. Just glue the wing spar channels all the way across, and leave the spar itself floating free inside, then you can decide how you want to secure the wings to each other.

Thanks. I went through your posts and you do mention that, but no pics. I get the idea of course, but if you could post some photos this would be helpful to understand the actual implementation.

How do you guys deal with the different connectors on the batteries, planes, charges etc? Do you use adapters or resolder the connectors on batteries or the aircraft? Basically the situation I'm in is this:
  • 2200ma batteries: XT60
  • Floater Jet: XT60
  • 4000ma battery: XHT
  • F450: T-connector
  • Charger: T-connector
Anticipating (some of) this, I got a T->XHT adapter, so I can at least charge the big battery, but everything else is a mess - I can plug the small batteries into the plane but not charge them. Ideally everything would be on the same conncetor

PS. The imax B6 charger I got takes 11-18V. I have a shitload of Lenovo 20V laptop PSUs... will this blow up the charger? :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think you want to charge with the big connector. I charge my batteries with the balance cable.

I've bought some 3 cell batteries that were JST and cut that off to put a Deans plug on. Just be careful to put some electrical tape/heat shrink over the battery leads after they're cut or you could make big sparks

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JgnMJzCtQ

Have we talked about this yet? Because... :catstare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I don't think you want to charge with the big connector. I charge my batteries with the balance cable.

I've bought some 3 cell batteries that were JST and cut that off to put a Deans plug on. Just be careful to put some electrical tape/heat shrink over the battery leads after they're cut or you could make big sparks
Huh. The charger manual says to connect both the big as well as the balance connectors. What's the reason for only using the balance cable?

For now I got some connectors and cable from a local store so I could either change the connectors or make an adapter.

But, fuuuuck in my excitement I forgot to change the HK order and got two OrangeRX R615 that of course now won't work with the Taranis. Not that they had any other receivers in stock. BTW the Taranis seems to be crippled by some EU BS and only has the D16-eu tx mode.

Since I don't know anything about the FrSky receivers, which ones should I get? I have the previously mentioned basic FloaterJet as well as the DJI F450 with Naza-M. I think I just want telemetry I guess and other than that, cheaper is better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Just be careful to put some electrical tape/heat shrink over the battery leads after they're cut or you could make big sparks

Better still, only cut 1 and solder one at the time.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

Have we talked about this yet? Because... :catstare:

At least it's better than the guy who used the yoga ball as a shock absorber, and is sitting right on the same plane as the open, unprotected props. This guy's at least slightly below the kill zone, and has that (lol) shield for his head.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrazyLittle posted:

At least it's better than the guy who used the yoga ball as a shock absorber, and is sitting right on the same plane as the open, unprotected props. This guy's at least slightly below the kill zone, and has that (lol) shield for his head.
he is also using a weapons-grade kneesocks/sandals combo

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm pretty sure only the cheapest of chargers work via the balance plug only. Connect them both if there are connections for both

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you guys deal with the different connectors on the batteries, planes, charges etc? Do you use adapters or resolder the connectors on batteries or the aircraft? Basically the situation I'm in is this:

everything I have is xt60 or the tiny 1 cell battery connector (except for the ec3, which will work with an xt60 charge lead)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Get the quad(?) tuned, so it flies nicely
Get familiar with Mission Planner
Set up a mission, upload it to the quad, set it to auto and hope for the best?
edit:
Read all this
http://copter.ardupilot.com/
(Seriously)

I meant more like, "How do I solder the telemetry part to the FC?"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I meant more like, "How do I solder the telemetry part to the FC?"

Erhh, you plug the cable from the telemetry module into one of the telemetry ports.
It's all at the link I provided.
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-3dr-radio-version-2/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

mobby_6kl posted:

• 2200ma batteries: XT60
  • Floater Jet: XT60
  • 4000ma battery: XHT
  • F450: T-connector
  • Charger: T-connector
Pick one for a certain power range, and stick with it. Everything that's sane to put it on, that comes in my house gets Deans/t-connectors on it. My buddy flys with XT60. Everything he flies gets XT60 on it, no matter what comes from the factory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks. I think I'll just make a XT60->Deans adapter for charging for now and then start replacing stuff once I'm settled on what I want to use.

This hobby is really great for :spergin: if you want to keep researching and never get off the drat ground. So I'd really appreciate some suggestions on the receivers for my shiny new Taranis.
  • X8R 8/16Ch
  • X6R 1/16Ch
  • X4RSB 3-16CH
  • X4R 4CH
  • V8FR-II HV 8CH
The price is within around 15% so I guess I should just get the X8R? I just want it to work, have telemetry and more than 4 channels so I can hoop up something in addition to the bare minimum of controls. I had no idea they'll be so much more expensive than the Orange stuff :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you are using sbus or cppm, it does not matter how many physical connections are on it, just go for whats smallest. I'd get the X4R-SB or the D4R-II