Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm not sure protectorates even count for achievements. However- you can just seize provinces from them directly in the subjects tab. It'll make their liberty desire go through the roof but you're probably strong enough that it won't be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

I'm not sure protectorates even count for achievements. However- you can just seize provinces from them directly in the subjects tab. It'll make their liberty desire go through the roof but you're probably strong enough that it won't be an issue.

Yeah that's the other thing I was considering, protectorate them and grab back CoTs and silk provinces. But at that point it's probably just simpler to conquer them directly seeing as how fragmented China is.

I think my larger issue is I need all of QQ's silk provinces and lonely Hudavendigar in Anatolia so I'd better haul rear end west if I want to try for Silk Road.

Edit: I also ended up with a weird idea set progression. Bahmanids get some really cool Muslim-specific events and modifiers before 1500, but all their territory is Hindu. So it's really easy to flip religions and I got the Bahmanid events, switched to Hindu, Sikh, then back to Shia because it owns. That got me +5% base MS, -1 RR, -6% tech cost combined with MS from Piety I don't really even need Religious or Humanist. Even though Humanist would be a pretty great fit for Bahmanids, my points were too tight to buy it.

So I ended going Admin, Exploration, Expansion, Influence, Trade, Defensive. I had to put off taking MIL ideas because all my points were going into staying up on tech, but that ended up being alright due to the hordes of mercs and high Morale bonuses I had. Not normally a big fan of Trade but I had points to burn and could really make use of the extra merchants.

Edit2: I might just try and feed most of the Chinese provinces I want to a couple Client States. As an Asian nation I don't get the coring discount so the main hurdle is admin points and OE.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 4, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I can 100% confirm that a protectorated Ming that holds Silk provinces will count for the Silk Road achievement (also worked for Great Khan so presumably protectorates work for all "you or a subject" achievements), just got it that way last night. You can definitely do it since you still have over 100 years to go, you'll just need to focus on a couple of major and fairly time consuming wars to chew through the bigger blobs. But it's totally doable since you can just snake your way to the silk provinces you need or snipe them from nations that only hold one or two.

\/\/ They absolutely count for Great Khan, as it has an "or have a subject own" clause.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 4, 2015

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Koramei posted:

They count for owning all trade goods or controlling entire world, but not for achievements where you need to conquer a region like Great Khan or White Elephant

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Koramei posted:

It seems like buildings (other than forts) get deleted in all your provinces when you make a custom nation in them, anyone know if there's a way to change that?

I would be interested in knowing this answer as well, and also to piggyback another custom nation question:
When setting up a game and you set the provinces to have random development values it seems that centers of trade and estuaries are either eliminated or compensated for with huge production dev in the associated provinces instead. Is that what is supposed to be happening?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey guys, I played EU3 back in the day and now on a whim I got myself EU4 + plenty of DLC.

What's a good starting point? I'd love to start out in Italy somewhere.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys, I played EU3 back in the day and now on a whim I got myself EU4 + plenty of DLC.

Northern Italy starts are fun. There's a recent change that makes Italy leave the HRE about 50 years after the game starts, so there's less hassle in that regard. You can slowly conquer as one of the city states or get more involved in the Eastern Mediterranean scene as Venice or Genoa.

edit: Yeah, probably makes sense to start with a more powerful nation if you're new to EU4's systems; a lot has changed.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 4, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Northern Italy is kinda a thunderdome, though. People generally suggest Muscovy, Ottomans, Portugal, or Spain as starter Eurocentric nations because they are big and powerful from the get-go (except Portugal, but they can buddy-buddy with Spain and never really worry about getting invaded).

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

TorakFade posted:

Italy is fun as hell. Venice is good if you want to build a maritime trading empire in the Mediterranean and roll in dough forever (trade is actually enjoyable in EU4).

For uniting Italy and being a strong land power, I recommend either Florence or Milan. They both have similar idea sets that help you become a super-efficient, technologically and socially advanced country with strength out of proportion to your size. Forming Italy is a really cool transition point in that it gives you new ideas more suited to good old imperialist expansion.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks, I guessed Florence would be my best bet actually, even though I kinda hate Tuscany (I'm from Umbria myself :v: )

Anyways I started up a game, and even though I've played quite a lot of CK2 recently and played a lot of EU3 back when it was released, it feels very very unfamiliar. It's tutorial time / back to basics again I guess!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TorakFade posted:

I always strongly suggest England. Abandon your continental possessions immediately and you're pretty safe on your island to beat up on your weak Irish (and eventually Scottish) neighbors. You can colonize and meddle in Europe a big while being relatively safe from the AI completely overrunning you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TorakFade posted:

A lot of people have mentioned Italy is a bit of a thunderdome and that's true, but Venice and Papal States both start out in really strong positions to expand early, and can come back for the rich North Italian provinces when they leave the HRE in 1490 (this happens 99.99% of the time without drastic player intervention to stop it)

Papal States can ally Castille/Venice/Austria/France and start nabbing up land from Aragon in Naples and Sicily.

Venice starts out with a core on Albania, Crete to help you fabricate claims on Byz/Mamluks/Ottomans and a big enough navy to take on basically anyone in the Med 1v1 (if you fill your force limits with galleys at least). You just have to watch out for Austria and usually France or Poland will be happy to help with that

edit: The 'classic' tutorial nations are

Ottomans: Land Wars Focus
Portugal: Colonial Focus
England: Overseas Empire Focus
Austria: HRE focus
Castille/France: All-Around Focus

all of them have a lot of leeway to gently caress up and are a great way to learn those particular elements of the game

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 5, 2015

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I will always recommend the Ottomans as the best country for learning the game. They have a very easy time doing everything you need to do in the game, and introduce you to every single mechanic in an environment where you're more or less constantly safe and probably on the winning side. The only thing you don't do as prominently as other nations do is colonizing, which you can definitely do still, just not to the effect that a country like Castile can. After the Ottomans, Castile and the Papal States are both very good countries to start with. The Papal States was my first real game, and it really taught me everything I ever needed to know.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

What's the deal with this? Saxony is the only elector I can manage to get to vote for me, yet they've been persistent with that trump card modifier. At least the "backing of another elector" trump makes sense; this one just seems like it's meant to troll the player because they can't actually get anyone else to vote for them.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 5, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What's the deal with this? Saxony is the only elector I can manage to get to vote for me, yet they've been persistent with that trump card modifier. At least the "backing of another elector" trump makes sense; this one just seems like it's meant to troll the player because they can't actually get anyone else to vote for them.
Well, it's not like their vote has the ability to change the winner of the election, as the votes are now, so they might as well just bet on the unlikely event of getting votes from other electors.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monarchy Electors are so loving annoying and if I'm playing one of the HRE states that wants to become emperor I usually try and strangle them and give the electorate to a random theocracy or republic like Verden.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

No special tricks in this battle, no terrain bonus, and I as the defender have been going for offensive-units. This two big bad stacks of germans getting sweaty in some 1556 farm fields. I don't know how combat even works. Do you know how combat even works?

Does... does Paradox even know? :ohdear:

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 5, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cav bonuses or morale difference? Winner rolled all 9s and loser rolled all 0s? I've been on the losing side before because of terrible rolls.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

Cav bonuses or morale difference? Winner rolled all 9s and loser rolled all 0s? I've been on the losing side before because of terrible rolls.

I feel like it's straight up impossible for dice to roll in favor of the player but that's gotta be it. I haven't been particularly militarist since I'm mostly expanding in the HRE. This was straight up one of those battles where I resigned myself to losing before it started and was just praying to hit some good casualties.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK had my first game as Castille, it's boring as hell. I allied Portugal and Navarra, rivaled Aragon and France (both rivaled me on day 1 before unpausing). Nobody wants to be my ally because apparently even if I have one of the biggest armies I am not worthy of consideration, I made a misjudgment and the Reconquista is not going smoothly (damned Morocco and their giant fleets), took me 4 years to get Granada... also my king sucks, the marriage event where you get Aragon didn't fire yet, and it's kinda underwhelming overall. Oh and Navarra swore fealty to France to spite me.

Guess I'm restarting as Naples.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The hidden secret of every EU game is that playing as any of the historical major colonial powers is boring as gently caress because colonising is a very easy and dull way of expanding and you don't have a huge incentive to do much else. Dancing around coalitions and having big stupid land wars are the only things that are actually engaging.

Europe in general is pretty boring other than HRE starts, everything East of the OE is where the fun happens.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deport The Irish posted:

No special tricks in this battle, no terrain bonus, and I as the defender have been going for offensive-units. This two big bad stacks of germans getting sweaty in some 1556 farm fields. I don't know how combat even works. Do you know how combat even works?

The Offensive/Defensive split has nothing to do with whether you walked into them or they walked into you. Instead Defensive pips reduce the damage your units receive in battle, while Offensive pills increase the damage you do to the enemy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Deport The Irish posted:

You should probably read the wiki about combat. There are loads of reasons why you might have gotten this result.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Deport The Irish posted:

Offensive units don't get advantages when attacking on the strategic map, they just do more damage every round of combat. (And, presumably, take more damage than defensive units would.)

The key thing here, though, is that you're playing glorious Prußia, which gets enough combat bonuses through its ideas to consistently win battles while outnumbered 2:1. It is extremely silly.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deport The Irish posted:

I'll write up a combat mechanics post in a bit.

Here's what happened: Austria attacked with a numerically superior force into your army in Altmark, a Woods terrain province. That is favorable terrain for you as it gives -1 to enemy rolls, -20% combat width, and your 6-Maneuver general means they also definitely ate another -1 penalty for river crossing if they entered from the wrong province.

The -20% combat width from terrain is big here, and for similar reasons a smaller force can hold off much larger ones in mountains. Even though the Austrian army is a lot bigger than yours, not all of that can take the field at the same time, so the gap in size is effectively a lot smaller than it looks. Additionally, Prussians get huge Morale and other combat bonuses, and with the terrain bonuses and a few good rolls you will send them running.

The high Morale means your troops will stay on the field longer, and also do more Morale damage to the enemy and break enemy regiments more easily. Stacking Morale is awesome. It's important to note that Morale is depleted for the entire opposing enemy army and not just the units fighting on the line, so you just rocked the first wave or so of Austrians really hard and the rest fled before they could wear you down with numbers.

In summary, you got attacked in favorable defensive terrain which made Austria's army size a lot less relevant. Also you are Prussia. If that had been a player Austria, they should have split that army and sent one in of matching size to yours, then the remainder a bit later to reinforce. This boosts morale instead of having the entire army go in at once and all of them eat morale damage (despite not all of them being able to participate due to combat width).

Edit: you bottlenecked them and sent them packing with Fierce Prussian Fighting

dunno what the game date is, but your combat width after the -20% from Woods terrain can't be much more than ~20, so your army is just enough to fill the field but only like 2/3 of the Austrians can fight at once, your armies in combat are effectively the same size

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 5, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also note that in terms of pure numbers, you only took slightly less casualties than the other side.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there supposed to be an event for Florence that gives them medici rulers? I had the first godlike guy but after that nada

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

The hidden secret of every EU game is that playing as any of the historical major colonial powers is boring as gently caress because colonising is a very easy and dull way of expanding and you don't have a huge incentive to do much else. Dancing around coalitions and having big stupid land wars are the only things that are actually engaging.

Europe in general is pretty boring other than HRE starts, everything East of the OE is where the fun happens.

Yes that is why I wanted to go with Naples. I did. I wanted to rival the other colonial powers, because I thought colonial range would be expanded by fleet access rights but nooo, my range doesn't allow me to colonize anything, not even on the western African coast and I wasted my first 3 ideas in Exploration.

I am getting kinda frustrated, I know Paradox games are full of pitfalls like those, but come on ... I was expecting that almost any mediterranean power would be in range of SOMETHING to colonize

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

TorakFade posted:

Yes that is why I wanted to go with Naples. I did. I wanted to rival the other colonial powers, because I thought colonial range would be expanded by fleet access rights but nooo, my range doesn't allow me to colonize anything, not even on the western African coast and I wasted my first 3 ideas in Exploration.

I am getting kinda frustrated, I know Paradox games are full of pitfalls like those, but come on ... I was expecting that almost any mediterranean power would be in range of SOMETHING to colonize

You will be able to once your diplomatic tech gets higher. Some levels give boosts to colonial range. Only a few european nations are able to start colonizing with just exploration ideas and without the boosts from dip tech. Maybe just Portugal and Castile, I can't remember.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Do you also have Dip tech 7 for the colonial range?

No one in Europe (except Portugal and Castile via Cape Verde and Africa) can colonize without both Exploration 3 and Dip tech 7. As Naples you might need to grab some Iberian or North African territory or wait until Dip tech 11 for another big colonial range boost. Starting colonization in the mid-1500s at Dip 11 is just fine, you're in a good position to colonize Africa and Asia and bring a bunch of trade home through Aleppo/Alexandria in addition to the New World.

I think you're overreacting.

Edit: besides you need a few decades to break free of your PU and expand some. Naples has a decent income but you'll want to at least take Sicily back from Aragon. Maintaining multiple colonies gets expensive.

Unless you have specific New World achievements you're playing Ironman for, I would break loose from Aragon and see if you can take on Venice. Ally Austria and join the HRE if you want, expand into Italy and snag Ragusa if possible. Worry about colonization once you've blobbed up some, and then I'd just go around Africa (get the Cape if Iberians aren't there) and colonize Indonesia. See if you can eat the Mamluks and funnel Asian trade back through the eastern Med or to Cape if you colonized that. Colonial nations aren't all that exciting or powerful and are mostly a vanity project unless you're going for achievements. You'll have a lot more fun conquering and colonizing into Asia.

Colonial nations give naval forcelimits, a merchant each if they're larger than 10 provinces, and trade power. Those are all nice but as Naples you're sitting on the Genoa and Venice mothernodes so you can just poach all the income from the New World colonies without having to build them yourself. Colonial nations also tend to drag you into wars with other colonial European powers, aren't all that useful militarily, and around 1700 they'll get rebellious and start waging independence wars against their overlords. Trade companies give more or less the same benefits without the hassle, and in Naples position I think they're a better bet to focus on.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 5, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Unless you want to wait until dip tech 11, you will need a north african launching point, like tangiers.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Cross posting from the crusader kings thread, Common Sense is $3.74 right now here: http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4547/Europa-Universalis-IV-Common-Sense/
You can pick up a cheap horse lords DLC there too for the same price if you like CKII.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

TorakFade posted:

Protip: You can take two provinces from the Mamluks and start exploiting the Far East decades earlier than the rest of Europe.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Chickpea Roar posted:

Protip: You can take two provinces from the Mamluks and start exploiting the Far East decades earlier than the rest of Europe.

Yeah this is the pro move. Drill into the Mamluks (cutting off the Ottos from Africa while you're at it which will likely force them to be more aggressive against other European nations as a bonus), get control of the horn of Africa, dive into Indonesia, and funnel all that sweet sweet spice island income into Genoa/Venice.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Your only real choice of Italian state if you want to pursue the New World at the same time as Castile and Portugal is Genoa, as they have a mission to take Gibraltar.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Bel Monte posted:

Cross posting from the crusader kings thread, Common Sense is $3.74 right now here: http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4547/Europa-Universalis-IV-Common-Sense/
You can pick up a cheap horse lords DLC there too for the same price if you like CKII.

Just paid full price for this on Steam only a few days ago, is it possible to get a refund and buy this version instead?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I love what Paradox has done to the Curia. The Papal actions besides stability increase or +1 mercantilism are actually useful now, instead of something worthless like spending 50 influence for 1,400 manpower. Catholics are even more OP!

Fuligin posted:

Is there supposed to be an event for Florence that gives them medici rulers? I had the first godlike guy but after that nada

Superfrance in my game has a de Medici ruler, even though France has gone hyperaggressive and taken all of northern Italy for a couple centuries now. I had a regency and my heir died, so now I'm a de Medici too. They just spontaneously appear I guess. And the von Hapsburgs are gone, replaced with a von Heinsburg. Europe sure is wacky.

Quick question: As long as you've revoked the privilegia, and you release a vassal whose capital is HRE territory (that wasn't in the HRE to begin with,) they become an imperial vassal that doesn't take up a diplomatic slot. Is that correct?

Node fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 5, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm running a custom trade republic where the Hansa used to be, and I'd love to get some vassals, but of course over there they're all in the HRE. Other than going to war with them, is there way to vassalize any of them?

I don't really want to go to war with them, either, because them being in the HRE Austria will stomp my poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm running a custom trade republic where the Hansa used to be, and I'd love to get some vassals, but of course over there they're all in the HRE. Other than going to war with them, is there way to vassalize any of them?

I don't really want to go to war with them, either, because them being in the HRE Austria will stomp my poo poo.

You could try playing The Hansa instead of a custom nation that will be shittier than The Hansa in every way except uh tag color I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Or you could try putting your custom nation in the HRE

• Locked thread