Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

poo poo, fifteen years, there's 30 years between Thunderdome and Fury Road. Insane when you think about it.

I'm actually shocked to see paid reviewers down on this game; everyone I know who actually has played it has said great things. Did they not grease enough wheels, or what?

ED: gently caress Metacritic just reinforces that experience:

PROS: 8 Positive, 8 Mixed
FANS: 85 Positive, 6 Mixed, 4 Negative.

... there is something clearly off about this ratio.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

poo poo, fifteen years, there's 30 years between Thunderdome and Fury Road. Insane when you think about it.

Fury Road has been in development for 15 years. It was originally with Mel Gibson and about to start then 9/11 happened. It killed flights so there were delays and it went to the wayside. It was about to start again and then Mel Gibson got arrested for a DUI, said some words to a cop, and his ex also released a phone convo. And here we are.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did they not grease enough wheels, or what?

It's this, I'm not even joking, WB felt game would do OK and wasn't banking that much on it being HUGE AAA, so they didn't send out advanced review copies and the usual totally not bribes "advertising fees"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

jabro posted:

Fury Road has been in development for 15 years. It was originally with Mel Gibson and about to start then 9/11 happened. It killed flights so there were delays and it went to the wayside. It was about to start again and then Mel Gibson got arrested for a DUI, said some words to a cop, and his ex also released a phone convo. And here we are.

Honestly that 15 extra years probably turned out for the better. Hardy and Theron are awesome. Plus all the advances in computer editing let the practical effects compositing be :perfect:.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

drunkill posted:

Throne room

I found this too and have been wondering if it's a reference to something. It's just another salvage point with 2 scrap to find, but when you find the throne Max does a voiceover "I wonder who this guy was?"

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Is there an idiots guide to applying that sweetfx filter to this? I pointed the ReshadeSetup tool at the mad max exe and it didnt auto detect, I don't wanna gently caress anything up but I've never used sweetfx before.

Edit: Found this and I think I've got it. https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/1092/

Davoren fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 4, 2015

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Decided to clear out a Top Dog camp to get some paint. First one I pick, I go ballsy and try a four-out-of-five camp that ends up giving me the Steel paint. Now my car is loving shiny and chrome.

Motherfuckers are witnessing left and right from this point on.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Maybe I shouldn't have harpooned him in the head?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I found this too and have been wondering if it's a reference to something. It's just another salvage point with 2 scrap to find, but when you find the throne Max does a voiceover "I wonder who this guy was?"

Dovahkiin?

A body from a scarecrow turned into a lawn dart and I hurt myself laughing. It's just so perfect

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jabro posted:

Do you know who Furiosa was supposed to be portrayed by?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly that 15 extra years probably turned out for the better. Hardy and Theron are awesome. Plus all the advances in computer editing let the practical effects compositing be :perfect:.

Yeah I honestly agree with this. Hardy and Theron were great, and the film was mechanically fantastic. It probably would have been a very different film with Gibson and an early 2000's release date.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 4, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My one problem with this game is why the gently caress is my blackfinger too prissy to repair my car while it's mobile? Come on, Chum, some rando War Pup didn't have a problem doing it.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
This is a cool and pretty game.

I also love the fact that you can play with all the video filters all the time, even when you're not in photo/video mode.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fuuuuck me this game is pretty. Wish I had thought to record the resulting flips that fucker did, but I'm sure there'll be plenty more. :unsmigghh:

Also the co-op camera is a genius idea and I can't wait to try it out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I dunno. I don't think Fury Road ever got to the casting stage yet back in 1997 and Furiosa was just known as Warrior Woman back then.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I did a write up summary of the movie's evolution in the movie thread, but Miller was surprisingly mum on the topic of Furiosa. Considering how long he's had a complete script, it's amazing how much he kept under wraps:

Blind Sally posted:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

It's here! Director George Miller has literally been working on the idea for over a decade. Seriously.

Rumours of new Mad Max material began in 1995 when talk of a TV show began to appear. It never happened, but in 1998, talk of a fourth movie started. George Miller later confirmed in 1999 that he had completed the script. Through to 2009, rumours spread over who would play the lead role, whether it would be Max or the a son of Max or even the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior grown to adulthood. Of course, Mel Gibson was brought up. He was confirmed, unconfirmed, said to play lead, said to be a cameo, and then dropped altogether. However, Heath Ledger, Michael Biehn, Guy Pearce, and Pam Grier were also mentioned. There was word it was going to be filmed in Southern Australia, then Morocco, then both locations, then only only Southern Australia, then Namibia, and then it was slated to be an anime. The movie even had a July 23rd, 2004 released date at one point. However, shooting kept being pushed back for all sorts of reasons, such as a rising Australian dollar or tensions in the filming locations.

Then, on October 24th 2009, a press conference announced that the movie was back on track. Miller stated that pre-production had already begun and the film was to begin shooting late 2010. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were confirmed to be starring in the lead roles as Max Rockatansky and Imperator Furiosa respectively. Massive amounts of rain delayed shooting in Broken Hill, Australia, though, as the desert was transformed from a barren wasteland to a verdant paradise. Miller wasn't idle; he kept working on scripts and planned an additional two movies. Mad Max: Furiosa was to be shot back to back with Mad Max: Fury Road, while he continued to work on the sixth script. However, a year later, Broken Hill was still too green for the film's needs, so shooting was moved back to Namibia, but didn't begin until June 2012. Original plans to shoot the film in 3D were changed to 3D conversion in the post-production process. Around this time, pictures of vehicles begin to get released into the wild and by 2013 a picture of Tom Hardy as Max was released. Of course, trouble seems to love Miller, and problems continue to plague him. The film has run over its budget and the studio wound up sending a suit to keep Miller on track. More recently, the film has come under fire from environmental groups for apparently destroying large portions of the desert ecosystem in Namibia (though the Namibia Film Commission denies this).

For detailed records on all this nonsense, MadMadMovies.com is a good place to start.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Attention Horse posted:

I also love the fact that you can play with all the video filters all the time, even when you're not in photo/video mode.

You could have told me these were stills from Fury Road and I'd have believed you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Rockstar tabs for the hood ornament throne

5JH22F7CV8J5

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Why is it a cut scene to place/take a fuel can!

Also what are you supposed to do with those loot crates in a storm? I drove around and the thing wouldnt break

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Zeike posted:

Why is it a cut scene to place/take a fuel can!

Also what are you supposed to do with those loot crates in a storm? I drove around and the thing wouldnt break

Just collect them and then stomp them after the storm dies down. I had it where the wind was blowing them against a cliff so I just hauled a couple over to the same cliff and the window pinned them against the cliff.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

CapnAndy posted:

Rockstar tabs for the hood ornament throne

5JH22F7CV8J5
It seems that there's an issue with the site at the moment and if you try to redeem a code for PC it gives you an X-Box code instead, so if anyone wants an X-Box code: 3F3K3-C6Y2V-PXHC6-2WRQ7-YCX7Z

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love the car customization in this game. No matter what options you use, it's :black101: as gently caress.

Half the fun of this game looking for towers to crash through to make a sweet screenshot

and then making it look like a wallpaper.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of which, I have a ton of those Rockstar tabs--I wasn't kidding about buying a hundred pounds of the poo poo when they were on sale at Costco. I currently have a ziplock of 30 or 40 of them I can start posting on and off if people are interested in the hood ornament.

If you end up winning the custom RZR 4x4 Rockstar is offering, you better give it to me though :argh:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

gently caress the ROW posted:

Just collect them and then stomp them after the storm dies down. I had it where the wind was blowing them against a cliff so I just hauled a couple over to the same cliff and the window pinned them against the cliff.

You can just stop the car and get out once you have them harpooned, it stays connected and your car anchors them in place for stomping open.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of which, I have a ton of those Rockstar tabs--I wasn't kidding about buying a hundred pounds of the poo poo when they were on sale at Costco. I currently have a ziplock of 30 or 40 of them I can start posting on and off if people are interested in the hood ornament.

If you end up winning the custom RZR 4x4 Rockstar is offering, you better give it to me though :argh:

That'd be cool of you, I'm a sucker for video game dress up shenanigans.

Attention Horse posted:

How do you toggle the filters outside of photo/video mode?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm kinda wondering why PC didn't get the stupid free Rockstar car. I want stupid free nonsense to drive around the wasteland with :(

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PS4 touchpad stopped working during the game on both controllers. Swapped games and they worked fine. Still didn't work when I started Max again. Went to see Griffa (since I thought it was the closest thing that showed up on the minimap) and it worked again.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Can you adjust the field of view on this game? I can't stand lovely console ports with 55 degree FOV's, it makes me sick.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

PS4 touchpad stopped working during the game on both controllers. Swapped games and they worked fine. Still didn't work when I started Max again. Went to see Griffa (since I thought it was the closest thing that showed up on the minimap) and it worked again.

If you pick up some scrap it'll start working again for some strange reason. No clue what causes it or why that fixes it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pound_Coin posted:

You can just stop the car and get out once you have them harpooned, it stays connected and your car anchors them in place for stomping open.

It's still a good idea park behind a wall or rock outcrop if you don't want to get hit in the face with flying debris constantly as you're walking toward the crate :v:.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They waited too long to put the wrench upgrades in this game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It can't be just me that is unreasonably bothered by the fact that the Wild Hunt car body is missing the right headlight grille, right?
Shovelface 4 lyfe :c00lbert:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Gaaaahd, this game is taking too long to download.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Let's roll

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I also love the poo poo out of the developers for giving the DS4 native support and proper icons in this game.

I want to write them a love letter.

Having said that, is anyone else experiencing explosion sprites shrinking away into nothing? Missed an awesome helix fire trail because half of it dissolved.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just started playing this game intending to do the tutorial between Metal Gear sessions and I've spent all evening running around shirtless beating up War Boys and harpooning people. Good game.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

ijyt posted:

I also love the poo poo out of the developers for giving the DS4 native support and proper icons in this game.

I want to write them a love letter.

Having said that, is anyone else experiencing explosion sprites shrinking away into nothing? Missed an awesome helix fire trail because half of it dissolved.

Yeah, in screenshot mode they keep disappearing and then reappearing. Makes it frustrating to get nail a consistent shot for explosions.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I called for the car and Chum hit me with it! :argh:

Oh I can't stay mad at you. :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Some of the upgrades break the game. Level 4 shotgun isn't just 4 barrels, it's 50% stronger too. It'll one shot through some armour. Twice in a row I was able to take down the heavy Dead Barrens convoys by just driving up to the lead vehicle, blasting off a tire to bring it to an instant halt, then getting out of my car. The one thing they REALLY need to fix is that when I do this, all the War Boys get out of their cars to fistfight me rather than trying to roadkill me.

Seriously, I'm a one man death machine on foot. War Boys need to stay in their vehicles more.

I could fix a lot of this by downgrading my gear, but... man it's had to turn off upgrades. Years of conditioning. I kinda wish the Max upgrades were less of a direct upgrade too, slower in the heavy jacket, shorter parry window in the heavy wrist armour etc.

Small things, but I've had to dump 30-40 hours into the game in the last four days to find some minor complaints.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I called for the car and Chum hit me with it! :argh:

Oh I can't stay mad at you. :allears:

The fact they have specific dialogue for this tells me they noticed it, and didn't change it because it's fun.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I should have looked on the last page about FOV, but I found an answer here as well. Does anyone know if switching out of video mode to use binocs and sniper rifles is a chore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

More screenshots, because why not, right?

Fist fight between cars

Chum's so happy :3

Max is joining the NXT roster next week

Car explosions

More and shinier car explosions

Get off my plane car

Different angle on that shot

This guy's about to get the same treatment

• Locked thread