Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mo_Steel posted:

I used to work at a grocery store, and on the busier holidays you go through Coke and Pepsi products at insane volumes, so much so that there wasn't enough racking to store it in. And so it would be stacked on the floor of the backroom right in front of the full, 3 level racking of pop, typically reaching about 5-6 full pallets tall. I was always morbidly curious about what the PSI of pressure on the bottom set of cans must have been and what they can hold before crumpling. I also recall seeing pallets of softener salt stored in the very top of 3 level racking, and at roughly 2,000 lbs. I imagine if that fell on you you'd either die instantly or wish you had.

When I worked at the Beer store over the summer, we regularly stacked pallets of cans 3 high right before long weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I've always wondered what happened after that. Do they write everything off as lost? Do they have some guys sort out the destroyed stuff from the damaged stuff from the "we can still sell it" stuff? How long did it take them to dig the driver out?

I worked for a automotive supply warehouse briefly, and virtually every box/crate/pallet there weighed a goddamn ton and it looked very similar to that gif, aside from the collapse anyway.

From what I understand, the value of 'this stuff organized on a pallet' is way higher than the value of 'this stuff in a pile' even if it's totally intact. The amount of manpower needed to take a non-palletized pile of cans from a truck to a grocery store is just immense in comparison

So if they're smart, they looked at it, said 'we sure as hell aren't paying our workers little enough for sorting this to be profitable', called a local food shelter and said 'you can have it all, just take it', and wrote it off their taxes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tunicate posted:

From what I understand, the value of 'this stuff organized on a pallet' is way higher than the value of 'this stuff in a pile' even if it's totally intact. The amount of manpower needed to take a non-palletized pile of cans from a truck to a grocery store is just immense in comparison

So if they're smart, they looked at it, said 'we sure as hell aren't paying our workers little enough for sorting this to be profitable', called a local food shelter and said 'you can have it all, just take it', and wrote it off their taxes.

It would probably take a guy about 10 minutes per pallet to re-stack and wrap those boxes though, and they aren't going to clean it up by using a bulldozer to shove it into a semi-trailer so they probably just had a bunch of guys work a few extra hours. "Damaged stuff goes on the top so the pallets don't collapse again."

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Or the company puts in an insurance claim to cost of the goods and any potential lost earnings and the insurance company then takes ownership of all the stock, pays people to clean up the mess and then sells whatever is salvageable to try and offset the cleanup cost.

One of the ways those dollar shops get the big brand on the shelves for a fraction of the cost is by buying it from insurance companies for pennies on the dollar in those situations.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 4, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It probably depends on how much appears to be damaged. The insurance company doesn't want to buy a bunch of sell-able merchandise just because its no longer neatly stacked nor does the store want to accept what is probably a reduced value from the insurance company if there's nothing wrong with most of it.

I have a friend that almost had this happen at the Lowe's he used to work at. Some guy in Lumber had an area blocked off (with a spotter) so he could run a bunch of pallets of concrete from someplace, around the corner, and put it into top-stock. He gets to the last pallet and someone has placed one of the big flat carts in his path, which he didn't notice because the pallet he had on the forks was blocking his view. So he pushes the cart into an upright for a rack hard enough to rip it out of the floor and now the whole rack (and a bunch of pallets of concrete) is leaning over the aisle. After Lumber-Guy stopped panicking, he grabbed my friend and they had to spend the rest of the evening pulling every pallet down in that aisle so the racking wouldn't collapse. He didn't get out until well after midnight.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

cyberbug posted:

This gold processing method does not seem to be entirely safe.
https://youtu.be/SElqnHXJ9IA?t=254

Does anyone know what show this was or have an alternate link? It's been deleted from youtube.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Does anyone know what show this was or have an alternate link? It's been deleted from youtube.

I believe it was Welcome to India, episode 1.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Thanks! A true goon you are.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Yeeessss I love this picture.

Awhile back at work we were installing a pretty large motor and they brought it in on the largest forklift I ever saw. (I think the motor weighed over 10 tons.) I think larger than the bottom one shown there.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I'd never bothered to think about what they're doing longer than "picking up a forklift with a forklift is retarded", but what are the two suspended guys even doing? The guy on the back probably thinks he's adding (a trivial amount of) counterweight, but the second guy looks like he's reaching for the controls to do what? Side-shift? Just lift the load as high as it goes and then get off and let the other forklift driver move it into place.

Just think of all the money they saved by not buying a forklift with a telescoping mast that could reach 2 or 3 times as high!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JgnMJzCtQ

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
It sounds like a swarm of bees!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Anyone within 5 miles must have wanted to loving kill him for that much noise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

loving loud, but I'd totally want one. This is like those blueprints you could buy in the back of comic books from the 70s and 80s to "build a working hovercraft!"

Manually controlling that thing looks like a nightmare. Time to add another audrino with some accelerometers to assist in maintaining trim and smoothing out the prop acceleration. And maybe an altimeter to give yourself a flight ceiling.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

flosofl posted:

loving loud, but I'd totally want one. This is like those blueprints you could buy in the back of comic books from the 70s and 80s to "build a working hovercraft!"

Manually controlling that thing looks like a nightmare. Time to add another audrino with some accelerometers to assist in maintaining trim and smoothing out the prop acceleration. And maybe an altimeter to give yourself a flight ceiling.

They went to the trouble and weight of providing a wrap-around windscreen...

...And made it mostly-opaque.

:wtc:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrYenko posted:

They went to the trouble and weight of providing a wrap-around windscreen...

...And made it mostly-opaque.

:wtc:

I think its an umbrella.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be a shame if one of those rotors threw a blade.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It's not a loving drone if it's loving manned

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I figure that's what the umbrella is there for. But yeah and it's gonna be a extra-special shame the first time one of those little plastic drinky-straw compressive members buckles and the whole structure and all 54 fans just crumples right up into a ball around the pilot's noggin.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

That's cool

Aside from the lack of helmet and eye protection I'm not a fan of the giant unguarded side blade myself.

Also, the crazy giant rotating blade hedge trimmer posted earlier in the thread caused remarkably little comment. A casting/forging failure or it hitting something harder than expected could cause a wonderful range of metal to spray out over the plane of rotation.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Wouldn't one large rotor work better than all those small ones? Then maybe a smaller, vertical rotor on the back to control the spin. You could also probably sit inside an enclosed cockpit.

I think I might be on to something here.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Platystemon posted:

That's why he has the "umbrella" around his head; it's an anti-decapitation anti-rain of propeller shards umbrella.

gently caress, beaten like a union rep at a mafia job.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Master Twig posted:

Wouldn't one large rotor work better than all those small ones? Then maybe a smaller, vertical rotor on the back to control the spin. You could also probably sit inside an enclosed cockpit.

Nah that'll never take off.

Tunicate posted:

I think its an umbrella.

I actually wonder how much it does to deflect the noise

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Master Twig posted:

Why stop there?

We could have four rotors, and a balloon, and tie it all together with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Oh nevermind.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Why stop there?

We could have four rotors, and a balloon, and tie it all together with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Oh nevermind.

Did they... add goofy crashing and siren sound effects to that video? lol

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

xezton posted:

Thats what I thought too.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

flosofl posted:

That thing isn't entirely manual--from the description: " six grouped control channels with KK2.15 stabilization". The KK2.15 is a multirotor flight controller that has an 8-bit microprocessor (one which is not dissimilar to the one in an arduino) and a 6-axis gyroscope + accelerometer.

The flight controller has two purposes:
1. To take the inputs from a radio receiver, and "mix" the control channels to the motor outputs. So, increasing value on the throttle channel will increase the speed of all motors, increasing the pitch will increase the speed of the motors on one side and decrease the speed of those on the opposite side, and so on. In this case, he has connected the motor controllers together into 6 groups, allowing the flight controller to be setup for a hexcopter configuration (without having to worry about all of the individual motors).

2. Flight stabilization. While airplanes (with the exception of like certain stealth aircraft) are stable above their stall speeds. This holds true for RC planes as well (or at least it does until you get into weird 3d planes, or at least those with thrust-vectoring and no lift generation). A lot of types of RC helicopters are not stable, however, in their yaw axis--if a gust of wind makes them start spinning, they won't resist this motion. Additionally, increasing the rotor speed of a helicopter will increase the torque and make it start rotating, requiring constant supervision to counteract this. RC helicopters solve this using a gyro to detect changes in rotational velocity on the yaw axis, and counteract this by changing the speed of the tail rotor.

Multirotors are just as bad--they arent not stable on any axis. Trying to fly a quadcopter without stabilization (especially smaller ones) can be extremely difficult, and you need to contintually correct back and forth to keep it from flipping on a random axis. What the flight controller does is use feedback provided by the accelerometers and gyros as the input to a PID controller (or PID controllers) which will either maintain the quadcopter at a fixed orientation, or with fixed rotational velocities, or keep it mostly level and at the same altitude in order to simplify controlling it.

So, yeah, this guy is very much not flying this thing manually.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slanderer posted:

That thing isn't entirely manual--from the description: " six grouped control channels with KK2.15 stabilization". The KK2.15 is a multirotor flight controller that has an 8-bit microprocessor (one which is not dissimilar to the one in an arduino) and a 6-axis gyroscope + accelerometer.

The flight controller has two purposes:
1. To take the inputs from a radio receiver, and "mix" the control channels to the motor outputs. So, increasing value on the throttle channel will increase the speed of all motors, increasing the pitch will increase the speed of the motors on one side and decrease the speed of those on the opposite side, and so on. In this case, he has connected the motor controllers together into 6 groups, allowing the flight controller to be setup for a hexcopter configuration (without having to worry about all of the individual motors).

2. Flight stabilization. While airplanes (with the exception of like certain stealth aircraft) are stable above their stall speeds. This holds true for RC planes as well (or at least it does until you get into weird 3d planes, or at least those with thrust-vectoring and no lift generation). A lot of types of RC helicopters are not stable, however, in their yaw axis--if a gust of wind makes them start spinning, they won't resist this motion. Additionally, increasing the rotor speed of a helicopter will increase the torque and make it start rotating, requiring constant supervision to counteract this. RC helicopters solve this using a gyro to detect changes in rotational velocity on the yaw axis, and counteract this by changing the speed of the tail rotor.

Multirotors are just as bad--they arent not stable on any axis. Trying to fly a quadcopter without stabilization (especially smaller ones) can be extremely difficult, and you need to contintually correct back and forth to keep it from flipping on a random axis. What the flight controller does is use feedback provided by the accelerometers and gyros as the input to a PID controller (or PID controllers) which will either maintain the quadcopter at a fixed orientation, or with fixed rotational velocities, or keep it mostly level and at the same altitude in order to simplify controlling it.

So, yeah, this guy is very much not flying this thing manually.

So that's either as good as it gets, or he needs to step up his control algorithms and task grouping. Because that looked like he was making his own micro corrections and the acceleration ramped up way too fast in my opinion (the part were he nearly took off for parts unknown).

I will say, I'm not a pilot so I'm willing to accept that rotary wings in general require micro corrections from the pilot. If that's that actually the case, then the attitude control is probably as good as it will get. But that acceleration of the rotors seemed pretty steep.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 5, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

flosofl posted:

So that's either as good as it gets, or he needs to step up his control algorithms and task grouping. Because that looked like he was making his own micro corrections and the acceleration ramped up way too fast in my opinion (the part were he nearly took off for parts unknown).

I will say, I'm not a pilot so I'm willing to accept that rotary wings in general require micro corrections from the pilot. If that's that actually the case, then the attitude control is probably as good as it will get. But that acceleration of the rotors seemed pretty steep.

The controller probably isn't tuned properly--normally the controller gains and limits are set during a series of test flights. Those micro corrections may at least partially be due to oscillations from the PID controller (which he might be manually trying to counteract, mostly with success)

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 5, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Regardless, he's not very good at driving it (my favorite part was when he got too high, cut the throttle entirely, and then barely throttled back up in time to cancel his downward momentum). Why didn't he put in a receiver and some ballast so he could practice by remote, you know, like it was originally intended?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Actually, it looks like he did just that, and it's way more stable than in the early videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gasturbine101/videos

It says he used ballast weight, but I wonder if he used his full weight.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Watching that video and thinking "maybe this is why Ospreys crashed so often."

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a helicopter's natural state is smashed in to the ground in a shitzillion pieces so yeah add two heli blades to a plane and you're begging for death

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

xezton posted:

Almost all of the extreme videos/cop chases shows have been doing that for quite a while now. I recall seeing one about the PEPCON disaster where they dubbed in a explosion, you hear the cameraman go "that's gonna be loud!" and then you hear the actual explosion. It's really annoying.

The British TV series Beyond 2000 did a short segment on the thing in 1985, a year before it crashed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xPAm1Xo3Q

Robo Reagan posted:

a helicopter's natural state is smashed in to the ground in a shitzillion pieces so yeah add two heli blades to a plane and you're begging for death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLWRJoW-bM

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Master Twig posted:

A shitload of tiny rotors definitely isn't the most efficient or effective way to build a helicopter, it just happens to be the only one that's really accessible to hobbyists and small-time builders because the drone market supplies all the flight hardware, no ground-up design needed. Designing + manufacturing a proper helicopter from the ground up, with the additional task of designing and manufacturing a single large electric motor with the a high power/weight ratio + a custom battery setup, requires the resources of a large well-equipped company (Sikorsky did it with the Firefly, I can't think of any others). Whereas buying drone controllers/motors/powerpacks and just building a lightweight aluminium-strut frame to support it all is far more accessible and safe.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ambrose Burnside posted:

A shitload of tiny rotors definitely isn't the most efficient or effective way to build a helicopter, it just happens to be the only one that's really accessible to hobbyists and small-time builders because the drone market supplies all the flight hardware, no ground-up design needed. Designing + manufacturing a proper helicopter from the ground up, with the additional task of designing and manufacturing a single large electric motor with the a high power/weight ratio + a custom battery setup, requires the resources of a large well-equipped company (Sikorsky did it with the Firefly, I can't think of any others). Whereas buying drone controllers/motors/powerpacks and just building a lightweight aluminium-strut frame to support it all is far more accessible and safe.

using the word 'safe' very loosely there I see

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

gender illusionist posted:

using the word 'safe' very loosely there I see

well yeah relatively speaking
designing and testflying actual ultralight helicopters is, like, one of the most fuckin dangerous activities conceivable on any medium-long term timescale, whereas with drone parts reliability and serious issues have already been established and worked through by the drone nerd community, stabilization/flight-control software is very well-developed and essentially ready to use, and any mechanical failures in flight are (b/c of the scale) inherently going to be a lot less dangerous and catastrophic for all involved

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RNG posted:

Watching that video and thinking "maybe this is why Ospreys crashed so often."

The osprey crashed less their whole lifespan than most other airframes like the F-18 lost in testing.

The Marines are stupid and kept trying to shove Marines into test aircraft and got mad when they crashed, which is why they have a bad rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
its outside the scope of tihs thraed but holy lmao the marines are so so dumb in all respects

• Locked thread