Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

RVProfootballer posted:

In a PPR league, I'd almost certainly rather have Gio and Woodhead and start Eli than make that trade. I don't remember where, but I saw some auction numbers updated after the suspension was lifted that had Rodgers as QB1 at like 20% of the budget, then Luck and Brady tied in value for QB2 for like 18% of the budget :psyduck: Am I the only one who thinks he'll be somewhere in the back half of the top 10?

standard scoring 12team 1qb, 4 patd
my other rbs are Bell, Gore, and Ivory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RVProfootballer posted:

In a PPR league, I'd almost certainly rather have Gio and Woodhead and start Eli than make that trade. I don't remember where, but I saw some auction numbers updated after the suspension was lifted that had Rodgers as QB1 at like 20% of the budget, then Luck and Brady tied in value for QB2 for like 18% of the budget :psyduck: Am I the only one who thinks he'll be somewhere in the back half of the top 10?

Brady will be a top 3 QB and I'm only saying that because of the immense talent Luck and Rodgers are. He has just much as talent as either them. Now he has a chip on his shoulder and would love nothing more to show up all the people screaming deflategate and cheater in every stadium he visits.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

jabro posted:

Brady will be a top 3 QB and I'm only saying that because of the immense talent Luck and Rodgers are. He has just much as talent as either them. Now he has a chip on his shoulder and would love nothing more to show up all the people screaming deflategate and cheater in every stadium he visits.

I guess I don't really buy that narrative (not AP "running angry" either, ha), and I don't see Brady doing better than Rodgers, Luck, Peyton, Wilson, or Brees (given the Saints' schedule). I think he's somewhere in with Ben, Ryan, and Tannehill. Totally serviceable QB1, but I'm not spending premium draft capital on him.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Update on my earlier post:

I traded my Brandon Marshall and McFadden for his Greg Olsen, used the now-spare slot to pick up Duke Johnson. Feelin pretty good about that. Now I have a spare Zach Ertz to flip, too, so bonus.

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

jabro posted:

Yeah I don't see why he'd have a chip on his shoulder, he cheated and got away with it and made Goodall look stupid in the process. He's probably happy as a clam right now.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

fariz posted:

I'm already thinking about who to start week 1, and I just don't know

4pt patd Bradford vs Tannyhills

.5 PPR choose 2
Landry vs Boldin vs R. White vs Ivory

Landry and Ivory every week barring injury or bye.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, in a 1PPR league

Lafell is currently a free agent. The guy that drafted him was the only one that autodrafted and he got a ton of injured players so he dropped them all really quick.

I have A. Boldin, S. Smith Sr. and P. Garcon on my bench for WR depth

Should I drop Garcon and take a risk on Lafell?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Duro posted:

Ok, in a 1PPR league

Lafell is currently a free agent. The guy that drafted him was the only one that autodrafted and he got a ton of injured players so he dropped them all really quick.

I have A. Boldin, S. Smith Sr. and P. Garcon on my bench for WR depth

Should I drop Garcon and take a risk on Lafell?

Absolutely drop Garcon, he blew last year and the situation in Washington looks just as hosed as last year. LaFell will definitely outproduce him and has a ****chance**** out doing better than last year (he was rank 25 in 0.5ppr or close).

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
So I think I'm running into some bullshit from a league member. He is purposefully starting horrible/injured/suspended players week 1 in order to get the top waiver pick for the first few weeks. Our waivers work where the lowest points the first week get top priority, and you keep that priority until you make a pick. Once you make a pickup you drop to the back of the line. He is starting LeVeon Bell, M. Bryant, Knile Davis, A.Gates and the Bears D (playing Packers) and isn't shy about telling us his strategy, since he claims its legit. This is retarded right?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He won't make the playoffs because of that loss and it will be glorious

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kick him out for being an rear end

This comes up every year and the argument is any win you give up is very likely to gently caress you up but it's just system abuse and anyone who tries to game it like that shouldn't be in your league imo

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm drafting in 3 hours and the league has .03 per kick return yard and .06 per punt return yard. It's 0.5 PPR and has a 2 point bonus for a 40 yard TD rush or reception. I pulled the list of punt and kick returners from ourlads.com depth charts and put the following together. Trying to figure out how much I should adjust the most relevant beersheet for these players. Very few of them actually show up on the beersheet, which is to be expected since they're returners. The ones I'm thinking to consider adjusting are Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Knile Davis, CJ Spiller, Julian Edelman, Jarvis Landry.

code:
Ari- Brittan Golden
Atl - Devin Hester
Bal - Michael Campanaro, Asa Jackson
Buf - Percy Harvin, Marcus Thigpeh
Car - Ted Ginn
Chi - Marc Mariana
Cin - Adam Jones, Brandon Tate
Cle - Travis Benjamin, Marlon Moore
Dal - Lucky Whitehead
Den - Omar Bolden
Det - Jeremy Ross
GB - Micah Hyde, Ty Montgomery
Hou - Chandler Worthy
Ind - Phillip Dorsett, Dan Herron
Jag - Denard Robinson, Rashad Greene
KC - Knile Davis, De'Anthony Thomas
Mia - Jarvis Landry
Min - Marcus Sherels, Cordarrelle Patterson
NE - Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola
NO - CJ Spiller
NYG - Dwayne Harris
NYJ - Jeremy Kerley, Chris Owusu
OAK - Travis Carrie
PHI - Darren Sproles, Josh Huff
PIT - Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton
SD - Jacoby Jones
SEA - Doug Baldwin
SF - Reggie Bush
StL - Tavon Austin, Benny Cunningham
TB - Kaelin Clay
TEN - Dexter McCluster
WAS - Andre Roberts

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Prophecy120 posted:

So I think I'm running into some bullshit from a league member. He is purposefully starting horrible/injured/suspended players week 1 in order to get the top waiver pick for the first few weeks. Our waivers work where the lowest points the first week get top priority, and you keep that priority until you make a pick. Once you make a pickup you drop to the back of the line. He is starting LeVeon Bell, M. Bryant, Knile Davis, A.Gates and the Bears D (playing Packers) and isn't shy about telling us his strategy, since he claims its legit. This is retarded right?

Eh, who gives a poo poo. He can take losses every week and always have top waiver priority :downs:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reggie Bush isn't returning punts/kicks. Jarryd Hayne is probably the PR with Bruce Ellington as the KR.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Reggie Bush isn't returning punts/kicks. Jarryd Hayne is probably the PR with Bruce Ellington as the KR.

Is this just from watching pre-season/practice stuff? I'd love a better source than just this one set of depth charts.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Reik posted:

code:
PHI - Darren Sproles, Josh Huff, Kenjon Barner

Fixed for you

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Reik posted:

Is this just from watching pre-season/practice stuff? I'd love a better source than just this one set of depth charts.

Reggie Bush is like a million years old and Jarryd Hayne returning punts is like the story of the preseason. Ellington returned a few solid kick returns yesterday.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Spoeank posted:

It's that the rugby guy that was trucking dudes this week? That's awesome.

Edit: rofl the niners have had a couple other notable stories this offseason dude. =p

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Prophecy120 posted:

Happened in my league did this last year and the guy missed playoffs. If he is a douche like that wait for him to fold then mock him mercilessly.

Also the best waiver pickups are all over the place, not week 1. Guy is a tool.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

No, I do also. He has been terribly inconsistent the past couple of years. He was the QB8 and QB9 in two of my 12 man leagues 4pt TD last year. I'd rather get a younger, upside guy later than pick him at his current ADP.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

The whole point of Perriman is to stash him until the middle of the season.

That's what I'm doing. At WR5/6, he's not really burning a hole just yet.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Prophecy120 posted:

This is legit.

Taking a loss is huge for maybe picking the right waiver guy is dumb. Waiver pickups carry a whole lot of variance whereas very few teams make the playoffs and he's loving himself over in wins and in points. If you think what he's doing is bullshit then change waivers to FAAB.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

While not spelled out in the "rules," it certainly is against the spirit of the game.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=fair-play-and-conduct

There is mention of tanking being prohibited when it denies someone a path to the playoffs, but I would have your commish make a ruling and clarify that all tanking is illegal before it actually happens.

We had a friend who threw a game in order to face a weaker opponent in the playoffs. He ended up facing the weaker opponent and went on to win the SB. It left a bad taste in our mouth and we all agreed it would not happen again or he was going to get kicked from the league because it was against the spirit of the game.

So basically if something feels shady and uncomfortable, it's probably no good for the league and they guy needs to be warned.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Is there a way to get the results from a yahoo draft into a readable format? If I can figure out how to make it look nice, I have a hilarious draft for your viewing pleasure.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If anyone thinks #1 waiver priority will net them >1 wins, they are an idiot.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

If anyone thinks #1 waiver priority will net them >1 wins, they are an idiot.

I got Mike Vick a few years ago. Hill, Bradshaw, abd OBJ last year. I don't agree with it, but it's not completely absurd.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I'm more against the waiver thing than I would be against someone tanking for playoff position because it's bad strategy. Can't think of anything that would make it worth it besides a stud RB1 (with a good, unrostered backup) going down for the season in week 1.

Kind of bummed about my early Bills defense pick. I like keeping a ton of lottery tickets around in the first couple weeks and I might have to use two roster slots on defense because they play the Colts and the Pats.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We see it every year one guy blows up week one and then does jack poo poo for the rest of the season.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Suave Fedora posted:

While not spelled out in the "rules," it certainly is against the spirit of the game.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=fair-play-and-conduct

There is mention of tanking being prohibited when it denies someone a path to the playoffs, but I would have your commish make a ruling and clarify that all tanking is illegal before it actually happens.

We had a friend who threw a game in order to face a weaker opponent in the playoffs. He ended up facing the weaker opponent and went on to win the SB. It left a bad taste in our mouth and we all agreed it would not happen again or he was going to get kicked from the league because it was against the spirit of the game.

So basically if something feels shady and uncomfortable, it's probably no good for the league and they guy needs to be warned.

Tanking for easier playoff opponents happens in the NFL all the time though - my favorite was the year the Jets played the Colts and Bengals in weeks 16 and 17 and both teams sat their starters against NYJ to gently caress over PIT

It's not possible to discourage sandbagging with poorly defined "spirit of the game" rules. You can't mandate managers start player A over player B and who's to say I didn't think Ryan Fitzpatrick was due for a big game? If throwing games is seen as abhorrent (i don't think it should be, it's a strategy that carries huge risk) then the easy fix is to increase the allocation of prize money to the regular season winner

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Prophecy120 posted:

Let him do it. It is a dumb strategy because a glance at last years breakout wire pickups should make it clear that there is no predictability to the waiver wire. Look at the top waiver wire pickups. OBJ didn't even start til week 5 and he didn't have his first big games til week 7. CJ Anderson was also not rostered and didn't do anything until week 10 when Hillman went down (who had taken over from Ball). Forsett might be the only guy who really was a season changing week 1 pickup, and he started off a little slow and laid eggs in the playoff rounds. Your friend is just as likely to get this years Isaiah Crowell as he is the next OBJ and it will be hilarious when he starts 0-2 to grab a backup RB who doesn't do much.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

I'm more against the waiver thing than I would be against someone tanking for playoff position because it's bad strategy. Can't think of anything that would make it worth it besides a stud RB1 (with a good, unrostered backup) going down for the season in week 1.

Kind of bummed about my early Bills defense pick. I like keeping a ton of lottery tickets around in the first couple weeks and I might have to use two roster slots on defense because they play the Colts and the Pats.

Why are you holding onto the Bills? Drop them and pick up any number of DSTs that have favorable starts to the season.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

It's kind of a weird spot because they're the #2 ranked D/ST and if I don't stash them, someone else probably would. I also expected them to play against Garoppolo instead of Brady :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

It's kind of a weird spot because they're the #2 ranked D/ST and if I don't stash them, someone else probably would. I also expected them to play against Garoppolo instead of Brady :(

Let someone else worry about getting a top ranked defense and then start them against Indy, NE, and Miami. For the whole season, they play Titans, Jaguars, Jets x2, and Redskins, and otherwise don't have a whole lot of soft match ups. You'd be far better off streaming defenses than sticking with them the whole year!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who should I start in a PPR league between Sankey, Tevin Coleman, and Jonas Gray? I'm leaning towards Gray.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

LmaoTheKid posted:

We see it every year one guy blows up week one and then does jack poo poo for the rest of the season.

Two thirds of the time those dudes are mirages, but the other third of the time it's a legit ludicrous breakout situation that will win you your league.

That's the fun of the early season: trying to figure out which is which, and when to blow your wad.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Oh and don't kick out people for throwing games, that's dumb. It's their team to manage and if they want to set a dipshit lineup that's their perogative. You don't get to decide what somebody's lineup should or should not be; that's the slipperiest of slopes.

I once benched my starting QB for Tebow to make a point in my match up that week, and lo and behold my normal QB got murdered in that game and put up like 5 points in the end to Tebow's QB6 finish or whatever it was.

Another owner had been looking for me to win that week to his advantage, I forget exactly why, but he tried to get the Commish of that league to "fix my lineup"; the Commissioner wisely declined. Could you imagine the shitshow it would have been if he had cost me ~20 points that week micromanaging my decision?

Like the dude above said, throwing Week 1 will cost him in the end, who gives a gently caress if this guy tries to Game Theory his way into the #1 waiver pick. He's going to waste it on this year's Kevin Ogletree anyways.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 5, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Trade offer: Blount for Gio Bernard in a standard scoring league. Who wins?

My analysis is that Bernard has less value if Hill stays healthy but has more upside since he can carry the load if something happens to Hill. On the other hand, Blount should be better to start the season since the starting job is nominally his and hopefully Belicheck will wait a couple games before employing the hot hand approach. So he's got a better baseline value but comes with a lot of risk.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

Trade offer: Blount for Gio Bernard in a standard scoring league. Who wins?

My analysis is that Bernard has less value if Hill stays healthy but has more upside since he can carry the load if something happens to Hill. On the other hand, Blount should be better to start the season since the starting job is nominally his and hopefully Belicheck will wait a couple games before employing the hot hand approach. So he's got a better baseline value but comes with a lot of risk.

If you compare their relative opportunity/offensive talent ratio, they are pretty close. On the one hand, Gio is probably a safe bet for at least ~50 yards a week, maybe a score of you're lucky. That makes him a decent flex guy who can step into your RB2 in a dire emergency. As you said, if Hill goes down, he's the handcuff too.

On the other hand, Blount is probably the main early down RB in New England, which means a lot of touchdowns and a zero percent chance of eight men in the box. So he's a good RB2, with a slight discount for the suspension.

But you know what totally separates them? Like, unequivocally for me?

gently caress owning a Bill Belichick RB. Also, Blount is old and actually lovely, Gio is hugely more talented. But mostly, if you are volunteering to get on the Patriots RB Carousel of Misery, you are doing fantasy football wrooooong.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Doltos posted:

Who should I start in a PPR league between Sankey, Tevin Coleman, and Jonas Gray? I'm leaning towards Gray.

Week 1 Gray and after that If I had to choose one it would be Sankey now since Cobb is hurt at the moment but Coleman will probably manage to get more reps in a better offense from week 4 or 5 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fat Lowtax posted:

Drafting a defense in an early round because you think they will be awesome essentially never works and is a bad idea.

Has anyone tried the Yahoo Pros leagues? I know we were chatting in one of our goon drafts a few nights ago and apparently there are some awful players on there.

cheese fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 5, 2015

• Locked thread