Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I was looking at those a while back. They look pretty nice and would fit 275s on the low side. I could fit an 11" wheel on the stock body with a high offset.

The AutoX guys are running 315s for SCCA SM class. I figure the additional mechanical grip would translate well to "technical" tracks. Also, if I just plug the same formula as everyone else (275/35/18), how can I expect to do anything but lag the cars with more years of development using the standard formula?

The Vorschlag Mustang got a good bit faster (couple seconds on a almost 2 minute track) when they bumped up from their 315 to 335 (or was it 345...).

I just have a hard time imagining a slower lap time from a wider tire where the drawback is additional rotational mass (less of an impact for power:weight classing).

Also, there a poo poo load of discontinued tires in the 305-320 range. The ones in the 275-295 range get snatched up very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well yeah it depends on what you're doing, power and downforce, and how long the sessions are. We were doing time attack, so only had 1-2 full on hot laps before everything started to go wrong. Coolant/oil/brakes/IAT etc overheated and it ran out of gas before the tires got too hot. Those were 295 R888s on a subaru.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 31, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

nollij posted:

I just have a hard time imagining a slower lap time from a wider tire where the drawback is additional rotational mass (less of an impact for power:weight classing).

Also aero drag and rolling resistance.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Well, those too... Both of which are proportional to velocity. So, I imagine that the optimal tire size is relative to track configuration.

Just finished the splitter and air dam. Canards will have to wait until after wide fenders and bumper modifications to fit with the wide fenders.

Next up is the ACD pump relocate to the trunk and the oil cooler relocate to above the intercooler to accommodate 3" brake ducting.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

nollij posted:

Well, those too... Both of which are proportional to velocity. So, I imagine that the optimal tire size is relative to track configuration.

Just finished the splitter and air dam. Canards will have to wait until after wide fenders and bumper modifications to fit with the wide fenders.

Next up is the ACD pump relocate to the trunk and the oil cooler relocate to above the intercooler to accommodate 3" brake ducting.

Nice, looks like a dedicated track toy at this point. What sort of power is it putting down, and what do you having going on with suspension and brakes?

I'd like to think some really dialed in JRZ's (or equivalent brand) for the track you're running and the biggest brakes you can find would yield the sorts of improvements you're looking for, but that level of calibration for each individual track is getting into the professional race team sort of realm.

Only real drawbacks I can see from going really wide with wheels/tires is not being able to get enough heat in the r-comps, but if you're putting down good power and have some aero it shouldn't be much of an issue. Might wear out wheel bearings a bit quicker due to different wheel offset loading the bearing at a slightly different angle. Sounds like you've got the fender clearance worked out already. Turn in is probably going to be worse, and will tramline like crazy you ever drive it on public roads.

I've heard that lots of guys with time attack setups like a lot of toe out for high speed stability, not sure how accurate that is, but I'd believe it, as steering feel with most likely be significantly reduced with wheels/tires that wide. Power steering pump probably needs a dedicated cooler also since it's going to have to work much harder to rotate those big r-comps if you don't have a cooler already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A little teaser from my Nurburg roadtrip.

Yes the weather was that lovely.

Would've been much more fun to drift around if this wasn't the first time on the track and there was a bit more runoff and I didn't have to drive back 1000km in the same car :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mobby_6kl posted:

A little teaser from my Nurburg roadtrip.

Yes the weather was that lovely.

Would've been much more fun to drift around if this wasn't the first time on the track and there was a bit more runoff and I didn't have to drive back 1000km in the same car :)
I'm amazed you went out when it was that foggy, they waited for the fog to go before we were allowed out when I was there.

So little recap from Gingerman with World Racing League this weekend. Friday was a track day so we broke in the engine over six 30 minute sessions while we learned the track. Saturday was wet as hell, which I love, and we came in first...I drove A LOT. Sunday thanks to some DNF's and luck we grabbed third. Great weekend at the track and World Racing League continues to be awesome to run with. Despite the rain there was only one contact which was due to one car missing a shift while being drafted, neither driver felt the bump.

Apparently I was running 5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in GP2 when it was raining :aaaaa:

Video so you can criticize my driving - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNJvWpu_vg

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 1, 2015

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
I have a 1995 Mustang that the radiator crapped out on. I know nothing about radiators. Is there such a thing as a good road racing radiator for under $400. The radiator that came out of it was an afco direct fit replacement radiator. My mustang only has a 302 in it, but it needs to be able to survive Sebring in July.

Also, what kind of radiators work best for hot HPDE road course stuff? I have no idea what crossflow, downflow, etc. means. I need to educate myself before buying something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's more important to have good airflow and to maximize air going through the radiator. I have no idea what Mustangs look under the hood, but look into ducting and sealing around the radiator.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65j9V0d0OQ

A bit of poo comes out at 4:00

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo, nice save.

Also, one hell of a start. Last to first before you're even to the top of the hill.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

impressive stuff, well done!

e: does anyone have a car they use as both a track day car and a daily driver? if so, how do you handle insurance? do you just not tell your insurance company it's gonna be a track car?

v. important as i'd like to start getting into racing but can only afford one car right now

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

There are companies that will let you buy insurance for a track day. Your regular car insurance won't cover you. My insurance is don't crash, otherwise pay up.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

deep impact on vhs posted:

e: does anyone have a car they use as both a track day car and a daily driver? if so, how do you handle insurance? do you just not tell your insurance company it's gonna be a track car?

You can, and I know people who do. I'd say most of them aren't single car households though. Just keep in mind you still have to get into work on Monday. That might be difficult if you flatspot a tire down to cords or lunch a wheel bearing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

I do, but I take public transit to work and my wife has a car as well. As was mentioned, there are several companies that provide track day insurance. I find it to be worth the peace of mind to purchase it, but I only do 3-4 days a year.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm amazed you went out when it was that foggy, they waited for the fog to go before we were allowed out when I was there.

So little recap from Gingerman with World Racing League this weekend. Friday was a track day so we broke in the engine over six 30 minute sessions while we learned the track. Saturday was wet as hell, which I love, and we came in first...I drove A LOT. Sunday thanks to some DNF's and luck we grabbed third. Great weekend at the track and World Racing League continues to be awesome to run with. Despite the rain there was only one contact which was due to one car missing a shift while being drafted, neither driver felt the bump.

Apparently I was running 5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in GP2 when it was raining :aaaaa:

Video so you can criticize my driving - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNJvWpu_vg

I much prefer the prolonged, sociopathic laughter in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzzjQvEeec Fantastic stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

v. important as i'd like to start getting into racing but can only afford one car right now

I daily drive my only car and track it 3-4 times a year. I dont really hold back on the track, but I had a $700 damage bill on my first time that taught me to not give 100% all of the time.

I regularly service (oil, plugs, filters, fluids) anyway, although I am noticing my tyres dont really last much more than a year with 2-3 days on the track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

I much prefer the prolonged, sociopathic laughter in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzzjQvEeec Fantastic stuff.
That one seems to be a crowd favorite. I had been following him for a while and knew he was over driving so it was just a matter of time before he blew a corner, should have expected it to be 10b.

Since I'm posting I'm looking for some ideas. The three other guys on the team are fairly terrified of running in the rain or the car sliding around on them at all. I'm trying to talk them into doing some ice racing this winter or even just taking it out on a frozen lake and playing around. What would be some other good ways to get them more comfortable.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

That one seems to be a crowd favorite. I had been following him for a while and knew he was over driving so it was just a matter of time before he blew a corner, should have expected it to be 10b.

Since I'm posting I'm looking for some ideas. The three other guys on the team are fairly terrified of running in the rain or the car sliding around on them at all. I'm trying to talk them into doing some ice racing this winter or even just taking it out on a frozen lake and playing around. What would be some other good ways to get them more comfortable.

Do you not have a skidpad at your track, or nearby?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rallycross is an option.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

if you have a big, open field nearby that nobody owns you could take it out on a rainy day and tear it up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Some of the Sheep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk

The buildup is really crucial here.

NitroSpazzz posted:

It wasn't quite that bad everywhere but yeah when I arrived I thought the track was closed because of the fog, but nope! Some dumbass crashed his Renault.

Obviously that's because this is a regular road and regular roads don't close in the rain or fog. Must...keep... driving

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 4, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Do you not have a skidpad at your track, or nearby?

Crustashio posted:

Rallycross is an option.

if you have a big, open field nearby that nobody owns you could take it out on a rainy day and tear it up
I'll run these by them and see what they think. The guy who's place we store and work on the car at is at least 50 acres so an open field might be a good option.

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk
The buildup is really crucial here.

Obviously that's because this is a regular road and regular roads don't close in the rain or fog. Must...keep... driving
Reviewed video, I was behind him (where he was easily visible) for less than a full lap. Next time I'll stick around a bit more before scaring someone off the track. Crashes on the Ring are a constant thing, it seemed like one an hour was pretty average for the time I spent there.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
excuse me sir but do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior SKYACTIV

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I looked into track day insurance back when I started. The one company I found had requirements for how the day is run (reasonable), so they had to approve days and organizations, and the organizations I run with weren't on their list. I would love to know what companies people here use for track day insurance.

In my opinion, if you can't afford to suddenly not have that car anymore, with no insurance reimbursement, you should not track that car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There are a few companies in motorsportreg that offer insurance

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A lot of people at my track have gotten their cars covered under regular insurance :shrug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Texas is the only state that doesn't explicitly have language that protects you when you drive at HPDEs. NC and Texas used to be the only hold outs, but your insurance will have something like "get hosed if you're found on a road surface where timed events occur".

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 5, 2015

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crustashio posted:

A lot of people at my track have gotten their cars covered under regular insurance :shrug:

It used to be that most auto policies were written in a way that did not exclude HPDE, because it wasn't racing. But insurers have gotten wise over the years and have altered policy language to be more broadly exclusive of poo poo that happens on a racetrack. If you intend to use your regular insurance for this, you need to read the complete policy very closely - do not call and ask - to see how they define racing and other exclusions.
And you should also know that even if your policy still does cover HPDE events, many insurers will pay up and immediately drop you if you ever make that kind of claim.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A guy at work has just given me this.
Anyone used one before?

Heading out to the ring in the morning and it'd be awesome if I can figure it out I think :)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Did you try googleing it
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php/en/customer-area/manuals-datasheets

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My friend's ring videos all have speed (calculated from GPS, so not totally accurate) and a map from the Harry's Lap Timer app. I think it even has the proper corner names, can't remember.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I use Lockton, they're got reasonable rates (IMHO) and cover the major event-holders.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

It used to be that most auto policies were written in a way that did not exclude HPDE, because it wasn't racing. But insurers have gotten wise over the years and have altered policy language to be more broadly exclusive of poo poo that happens on a racetrack. If you intend to use your regular insurance for this, you need to read the complete policy very closely - do not call and ask - to see how they define racing and other exclusions.

My street car policy does not cover incidents on surfaces used for racing temporary or permanent. The exact wording is so broad I'm sure if they wanted to be dicks they could avoid paying me if I had a fender bender on East Shoreline in Long Beach, CA.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

I use Lockton, they're got reasonable rates (IMHO) and cover the major event-holders.

This was the company I found. Looks like they do cover the HPDE events I attend, now. Cool!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let's say my tire choices are:
215, 255 BFG g-Force Comp-2 (exact factory spec)
205, 245 Michelin Pilot SS

Are the PSSs good enough that they'll generally outperform less-sticky tires that are 1cm wider front and rear?

Are there other F/R width choices that wouldn't significantly impact handling?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What diameter?

The current cream of the crop tires are the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R and BF Goodrich Rival S. They're both faster than those tires, but they're also noisier and wear significantly quicker than the last batch of summer tires.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

What car? What other stuff on it? Going a size or two wider in the front should be ok.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

What car? What other stuff on it? Going a size or two wider in the front should be ok.

I ended up getting the 348 I looked at. Stock is 215/50 17, 255/45 17. I don't want to switch off the wheels, and support for these sizes at 17" is not great.
Neither the Rival S nor RE-71R have enough aspect height at 17 for the rear tires.

Would 225, 245 be too different? The 348's F/R is 41/59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Would not exactly be my ideal choice but from looking at available tires it seems to be your best option. How wide are the wheels? If the front's 7.5-8 you're definitely ok, but a wide 225 on a 7" rim is a little pinched. I put 225 hankook v12s on my 17x7s but if I were on something like an RS3 which is a good bit wider I would want an 8" wheel.

For the rear some 245s could end up having a wider tread than what is on there or at least the casing will be more supported. While it does suck to go to a narrower tire I don't see a better option without going to 18" wheels, which you should totally do

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 16, 2015