Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

As an eigthy-oner this delights me.

As an 83'er I would say at least 1985.

Being born in 83 in my area meant:
- 3rd grade used first computer, was an Apple II with Oregon Trail and educational math games
- 5th grade our school got a Tandy in the library with Windows 3.11, mostly used for it's encyclopedia program
- 6th grade I saved up my $1/week allowance money to buy a $30 used/semi-broken 386 from a flea market which I taught myself computers. It was hosed and had no hard drive so I just used it to boot QBASIC off of floppy disks to play Gorillas and Nibbles
- 7th grade our school finally got a computer lab, and all we used it for was Wordperfect (remember those bitchin strips of shortcut keys on top of all keyboards?)
- mid high school our lab got a 2x cd burner, which I used to copy Civ 1 to use on my brother's new 486
- bit later we got dial up internet and a SECOND PHONE LINE WOOHOO so Mom wouldn't get pissed at us for playing Ultima Online so much
- a bit later in high school I blew $500 of my Hardee's employee money on a K6-2 500mhz computer with Windows 2000
- I dragged my feet buying a cell phone and was the last of my friends to do so, which was in 2003
- I dragged my feet buying a smart phone until last year which makes me feel more like a grandpa than a millennial

Also I remember Ecto Cooler and Mr Wizard so 83 is out.

VVVV poo poo haha, all that typing I did too

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I was born in 84 and I'm definitely a millennial and so are you

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

notZaar posted:

I was born in 84 and I'm definitely a millennial and so are you

You make a good point. I'd call many of my friends millennials and they are the same age as me damnit. I guess I'll be the typical "everyone but me" dude.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Tyson Tomko posted:

- 3rd grade used first computer, was an Apple II with Oregon Trail and educational math games
- 5th grade our school got a Tandy in the library with Windows 3.11, mostly used for it's encyclopedia program
- 6th grade I saved up my $1/week allowance money to buy a $30 used/semi-broken 386 from a flea market which I taught myself computers. It was hosed and had no hard drive so I just used it to boot QBASIC off of floppy disks to play Gorillas and Nibbles
- 7th grade our school finally got a computer lab, and all we used it for was Wordperfect (remember those bitchin strips of shortcut keys on top of all keyboards?)
- mid high school our lab got a 2x cd burner, which I used to copy Civ 1 to use on my brother's new 486
- bit later we got dial up internet and a SECOND PHONE LINE WOOHOO so Mom wouldn't get pissed at us for playing Ultima Online so much
- a bit later in high school I blew $500 of my Hardee's employee money on a K6-2 500mhz computer with Windows 2000
- I dragged my feet buying a cell phone and was the last of my friends to do so, which was in 2003
- I dragged my feet buying a smart phone until last year which makes me feel more like a grandpa than a millennial

Agreed on principle- yes I did grow up with computers, but goddamn it it was an accomplishment when you finally got Dark Forces working, after you edited your sys.ini and/or autoexec.bat. Kids who grew up smearing their fingers around an Iphonepadpod had an utterly different experience. I grew up calling random strangers on the internet dickholes and being called the same. I post on a website I paid to join that uses totally archaic tech (bbcode, vbulletin) that uses inline formatting.

My dad installed Windows NT 4.0 on the only computer in the house and told me it wouldn't let me do anything I wasn't supposed to. I went through every folder on C: and ran every executable it would let me, read every text file, and tried to figure out what it all did. Show me a 22 year old that's done that- I TA'd a 400-level undergraduate class a couple years ago and half the students didn't know the difference between a network drive, the two in-computer hard drives, a usb drive and an external harddrive. They barely understood what a directory structure was, much less what a well-organized one looks like. Or how to make or rename a folder. Or what it means and what to do when windows says a file is in use when you're trying to delete it. No understanding of what a drive letter is or what they mean or where they saved something or if they even did save their work.

Kids born in early-to-late eighties: Manually edited system configuration files in order to play Video Gamez, saved money to buy new graphics cards, posted anonymously on lovely websites they often made themselves.

Kids born in the mid-to-late nineties: Press button for game. Game loads. Smear fingers on screen playing gaem. Post on facebook how well you did in game. Upload picture of self flipping off camera while making duckface.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Agreed on principle- yes I did grow up with computers, but goddamn it it was an accomplishment when you finally got Dark Forces working, after you edited your sys.ini and/or autoexec.bat. Kids who grew up smearing their fingers around an Iphonepadpod had an utterly different experience. I grew up calling random strangers on the internet dickholes and being called the same. I post on a website I paid to join that uses totally archaic tech (bbcode, vbulletin) that uses inline formatting.

My dad installed Windows NT 4.0 on the only computer in the house and told me it wouldn't let me do anything I wasn't supposed to. I went through every folder on C: and ran every executable it would let me, read every text file, and tried to figure out what it all did. Show me a 22 year old that's done that- I TA'd a 400-level undergraduate class a couple years ago and half the students didn't know the difference between a network drive, the two in-computer hard drives, a usb drive and an external harddrive. They barely understood what a directory structure was, much less what a well-organized one looks like. Or how to make or rename a folder. Or what it means and what to do when windows says a file is in use when you're trying to delete it. No understanding of what a drive letter is or what they mean or where they saved something or if they even did save their work.

Kids born in early-to-late eighties: Manually edited system configuration files in order to play Video Gamez, saved money to buy new graphics cards, posted anonymously on lovely websites they often made themselves.

Kids born in the mid-to-late nineties: Press button for game. Game loads. Smear fingers on screen playing gaem. Post on facebook how well you did in game. Upload picture of self flipping off camera while making duckface.

Im gay

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
kids these days don't know they're born

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Mmm, who doesn't want that delicious millennial rear end.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hard cut-off for millennial is 1980. if you wre born in 1981 you are a millennial. i wonder how many of the people who complain about millennials (they are the worst though) on SA are actually millennials themselves?

Maggot Soup posted:

it's looks flat, bad. she is ugly and with a bad case of ugg mug. can't really see her millennial tits but i bet they are bad also.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

thathonkey posted:

hard cut-off for millennial is 1980. if you wre born in 1981 you are a millennial. i wonder how many of the people who complain about millennials (they are the worst though) on SA are actually millennials themselves?

it's looks flat, bad. she is ugly and with a bad case of ugg mug. can't really see her millennial tits but i bet they are bad also.

dont limit yourself to one millennial. theres millions of millennial asses to be had.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
as a bitter goon who arbitrarily hates people based on the fact that they were born inside of a specific 20 year window, i will limit myself to absolutely whatever deranged beliefs i feel like having

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In other millennial news I had to tell my '89 birthday cousin today about who Edward Snowden was and why what he did was a big deal.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Scaramouche posted:

In other millennial news I had to tell my '89 birthday cousin today about who Edward Snowden was and why what he did was a big deal.

he was a bastard of the north, right? i've only seen the show

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I was a millennial for three years (2010-2012) and it was unpleasant

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

The gently caress? I was born in 89 and I had already developed healthy hatred and distrust for the government way before all the snowden poo poo started

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
The millennials started the Occupy movement. :smug:

Refute this please.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

WHAT ARE WITH THESE drat KIDS?!

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Get a job!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maggot Soup posted:

they are probably pro-anal since they don't want the responsibility of kids

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mandator posted:

Get a job!

*launches into 20 minute long complaint about the job market and how unfair it is to saddle college students with crippling debt in this economy wherein it slowly becomes apparent that i possess an art history degree*

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

thathonkey posted:

yea born 1980... a.k.a. gently caress all you millennial bitches.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Mandator posted:

Get a job!

And a haircut, and something to cover up the awful tattoos

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This video is prob my favorite cringe video of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q6KAg6qEGY

earmuffs please officer

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Madcosby posted:

earmuffs please officer

They prob drink corporate water :smug:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man news articles sure hate millenials

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

earmuffs please officer

Are they protesting their own school they pay to go to?

What is even going on, why is he rummaging through bags at the end?

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Uncle Enzo posted:

Cool post mate

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prorat posted:

What is even going on, why is he rummaging through bags at the end?

it's a useful life skill all liberal arts majors must learn

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

gas this post

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

Dude pretty much the same story down to the K6-2.

My computer at the end of high school:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

earmuffs please officer

no one got tased, this is bullshit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

david... posted:

gas this post

also the man who posted it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Tyson Tomko posted:

lol i was born in 86 and have never owned an ipod or a smartphone, i am an idiot and a hater

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

*launches into 20 minute long complaint about the job market and how unfair it is to saddle college students with crippling debt in this economy wherein it slowly becomes apparent that i possess an art history degree*

forget unfair, it's just a plain idiotic way to run an economy if the newest crop has absolutely no free cash to cycle back into it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Giblet Plus! posted:

Dude pretty much the same story down to the K6-2.

My computer at the end of high school:

Daaaaaamn bro how much gash did you crush with that sweet rig?

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
what are those big tubes for

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

COOLANT!!!!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Mad Monk posted:

This is all you need to know from that Hipsters on Foodstamps Part 2 gibberish.

Look at this loving trash house behind her, and she knew people were coming over to take photos. A trash house for a trash person.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i live in spatial squalor b/c i literally cannot afford ikea furniture, monetarily or culturally

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I officially declare myself the oldest poster itt .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

.edited

• Locked thread