Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain does not run on my cellphone so I cannot play it at work, which is unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chard posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain does not run on my cellphone so I cannot play it at work, which is unacceptable.

I've spent the last two days with the girlfriend away from MGS5. I'm super excited to get to play tonight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Games don't start with subtitles turned on.

How has this not become standard within the last five years at the least?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Sleeveless posted:

Good thing Phantom Pain doesn't have always online DRM then.

Well I haven't played it so I don't know but always on DRM loving sucks and to a lesser extend waiting for the Cerberus network in Mass Effect 2, even though not full on that always bugged me since it could take a while. It still sucks and should be a toggle after validating all your poo poo once.

Edit: Also yeah, Steam doesn't stop piracy but neither does launching your thing through Steam, all it does is add something people who buy valid copies have to deal with and yeah, it's usually not a huge problem. Unless I buy a game on Steam and can't play it for a day or two because loving UPlay decided to poo poo itself.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Sep 4, 2015

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

RareAcumen posted:

This is especially frustrating when the game has cutscenes before you're allowed to access the settings.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Dragon Age: Inquisition's subtitles are in a really dumb place. Just put them at the bottom of the screen like every other game in existence.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

A Classy Ghost posted:

This is especially frustrating when the game has cutscenes before you're allowed to access the settings.

One of the worst I've ever seen for this was Darksiders 2: not only does it not allow you to activate subtitles before the initial cutscene, it also doesn't do any sort of system detection beforehand, so everything's in default 1024x768 resolution with graphics settings all set to "garbage", and you have to go through a playable section before you can even get to access the settings.

The thing dragging down Dark Forces 2 is that it runs like garbage and I can't find a way to fix it. So far, the only configuration that actually works is fullscreen 640x480 with 8-bit colour. Anything else causes the HUD elements to break the rendering, so I can either see the level, or see my health and ammo counters, but not both. Also the game shits itself when opening the menu because all the menus and cutscenes are 640x480 as well, and don't stretch to fit the screen.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Inco posted:

One of the worst I've ever seen for this was Darksiders 2: not only does it not allow you to activate subtitles before the initial cutscene, it also doesn't do any sort of system detection beforehand, so everything's in default 1024x768 resolution with graphics settings all set to "garbage", and you have to go through a playable section before you can even get to access the settings.

The thing dragging down Dark Forces 2 is that it runs like garbage and I can't find a way to fix it. So far, the only configuration that actually works is fullscreen 640x480 with 8-bit colour. Anything else causes the HUD elements to break the rendering, so I can either see the level, or see my health and ammo counters, but not both. Also the game shits itself when opening the menu because all the menus and cutscenes are 640x480 as well, and don't stretch to fit the screen.

Theres mods to fix this. The game is very, very old. Very old.

The one thing I dont like in Phantom Pain is that GMP was changed from an abstract representation of your spending power, to finite Mother Base Fun Bucks. In Peace Walker you didnt spend your GMP permanently on stuff, it was just temporarily used as you developed stuff, which was awesome for developing the giant pile of guns youd never use. Now you never get that money back, and you have to spend it on helicopters, gear, and all the fun stuff you take with you on a mission. And on fultons, which you can only carry so many of. Its entirely possible to turn a loss on operations if you do a single side op and extract afterwards.

Theres also a helicopter flare which will gently caress with your mission ranking, but doesnt do anything but call a chopper to your nearest LZ. A thing you can do in the idroid in five seconds.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Can developers just get together at E3 or something and decide where to always put the Subtitles? Sometimes it's in the audio options or gameplay or video.

Or just a little menu in my ps4 where I can make it so every game has default subtitles and inverted controls. I love that about steam.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Right after they all determine where to put their save files.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

SpookyLizard posted:

Theres mods to fix this. The game is very, very old. Very old.

I've checked out replacement dll files, DX3D wrappers, compatibility modes, and a bunch of other stuff, all to no avail. I know the game is very, very old, but it's so much more of a pain in the rear end than the original Dark Forces was (which, for the record, I beat two days ago).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Can developers just get together at E3 or something and decide where to always put the Subtitles? Sometimes it's in the audio options or gameplay or video.

I'm waiting for a game to put it in the keybinds. I feel like, if I made a game parodying modern AAA titles, that's the only place I could put it that no game actually has yet.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am dumbfounded that there are still games being made today where you can't pause in the middle of cut scenes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I am dumbfounded that there are still games being made today where you can't pause in the middle of cut scenes.

poo poo, some games still have unskippable cutscenes. I will pretty much never play a game twice if I can't skip the cutscenes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The other dragging down Phantom Pain is that you can no longer decorate mens faces with tranq darts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Or just a little menu in my ps4 where I can make it so every game has default subtitles and inverted controls. I love that about steam.

Where is this option in Steam?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Because MGSV has online play that ties into your base management, every time you access your base management to fiddle your guys, if you're online it takes a minute to check the servers and stuff before that part of the menu loads. Feels pretty unnecessary!

The thing dragging down Rocket League for me is even players who seem to have a good deal of games under their belt don't seem to know the following really basic things:
1. If you spawn the furthest away from the ball, you're defending from the kickoff. Don't chase the ball.
2. If at least one of your teammates is already in a good position to go for the ball, go back and defend instead of mashing your face into the ball.
3. You can jump and rocket into the air to hit high balls. This is literally in the tutorials. Yeah doing it is hard and you'll whiff a huge amount when you're still learning, but it's super fun to zoom into the air instead of being glued to the ground. Just give it a shot instead of sitting there tamely waiting for the ball to stop bouncing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Inco posted:

I've checked out replacement dll files, DX3D wrappers, compatibility modes, and a bunch of other stuff, all to no avail. I know the game is very, very old, but it's so much more of a pain in the rear end than the original Dark Forces was (which, for the record, I beat two days ago).

Are you playing the Gog version? Because it's actually fixed to work on modern systems unlike the Steam version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I found annoying about early MGSV is just how time consuming it is to collect all the resources you need to actually get going.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Convex posted:

Are you playing the Gog version? Because it's actually fixed to work on modern systems unlike the Steam version.

Nope, I've got the Steam version.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That explains it then! The Steam version is garbage - the videos and menus all switch to a 640x480 window, and iirc there's no actual CD audio either. Do yourself a favour and pick it up on a Gog sale sometime, when it's working properly the game is still pretty fun!

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Mind: Path to Thalamus is an indie game with beautiful visuals, interesting puzzles and a lovely loving narrator. I don't think these people realized how critical it was to not have a whiny, annoying guy piping in your ear with dumb anecdotes that aren't even figuratively relevant to what you're doing. It'd be fine if I could just mute everything because it really is pretty, but the environmental audio is helpful with the puzzles. Normally I can't put these kinds of games down, but knowing that his voice will be there for X more levels makes me ok with leaving it in my library and never looking at it again.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I want to like Dishonored, but it's so bleak and ugly that I can barely bring myself to play it. Also, c'mon, I'm not asking for anime proportions, but can the characters at least have semi-symmetrical faces? Not every guard should look like Sloth from the Goonies with giant Megaman hands and a dapper uniform!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The megaman hands are the best part of dishonored's style, and I will not be purchasing dishonored 2 if emily does not have megaman hands.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"How honored are you?" [character holds up giant hands] "I'm DIS honored!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored 2 really needs to step up its game in the voice-acting direction. Chloe Moretz, Lena Headey, Susan Sarandon and Brad Dourif in the original all come across as lethargic and the Outsider acts incredibly bored for a trickster-god who grants people superpowers, especially since he was much more animated in the pre-release CG trailer. Carrie Fisher appears as a propaganda speaker in two levels ONLY if you kill the initial broadcast speaker when you meet him.That'd be like casting Gary Oldman in a movie where he never speaks and he has a bag over his head the whole time.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Sep 5, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I love dishonored and probably have played it 5? Times now. But I loving hate the outsider. He is so, so annoying with his stupid rear end metaphors. "Will you be the good guy, or the bad guy, I wonder? Will you kill for pleasure, or save their lives?" Over and over again. Every playthrough after the first I've just skipped him whenever he showed up.

And he's in the trailer for dishonored 2 :(

I love how everyone is super ugly, especially Lord Pendleton. He's my favorite, always pulling out his little bottle of alcohol, plus his crazy memoirs. Waverly, Waverly, Waverly...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

While we're on Dishonored - and actually this sometimes feels like it applies to the whole goddamn stealth genre - if you make it so goddamn fun to kill people, don't turn around and give me the bad ending or a low rank or whatever for doing so. Running and gunning and absolutely not being stealthy, sure, but it is a stealth game, not a pacifist simulator. If I kill someone and no one sees, not only is that not unstealthy but in a well done game it feels satisfying as hell. Especially in Dishonored where they give you all these awesome powers mostly used for and sometime gotten by killing, then realised at the last moment that Bioshock is a game that exists and they've for publishers to impress.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlphaKretin posted:

While we're on Dishonored - and actually this sometimes feels like it applies to the whole goddamn stealth genre - if you make it so goddamn fun to kill people, don't turn around and give me the bad ending or a low rank or whatever for doing so. Running and gunning and absolutely not being stealthy, sure, but it is a stealth game, not a pacifist simulator. If I kill someone and no one sees, not only is that not unstealthy but in a well done game it feels satisfying as hell. Especially in Dishonored where they give you all these awesome powers mostly used for and sometime gotten by killing, then realised at the last moment that Bioshock is a game that exists and they've for publishers to impress.

High Chaos =/= Low Rank

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Geniasis posted:

High Chaos =/= Low Rank

Keyword "or", noting that I was referring to the whole genre.

E: Though I'll admit my post is poorly written I got constantly interrupted and wrote it over the course of like 15 minutes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bewilderment posted:

The thing dragging down Rocket League for me is even players who seem to have a good deal of games under their belt don't seem to know the following really basic things:
1. If you spawn the furthest away from the ball, you're defending from the kickoff. Don't chase the ball.
2. If at least one of your teammates is already in a good position to go for the ball, go back and defend instead of mashing your face into the ball.
3. You can jump and rocket into the air to hit high balls. This is literally in the tutorials. Yeah doing it is hard and you'll whiff a huge amount when you're still learning, but it's super fun to zoom into the air instead of being glued to the ground. Just give it a shot instead of sitting there tamely waiting for the ball to stop bouncing.

My favorite teammates are the ones who are obsessed with just touching the ball, regardless of context or position or anything at all. There are very few reasons, if any, to clear the ball across your own net, or back towards it, yet I still see people doing it in ranked matches. It's amazing.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

AlphaKretin posted:

Keyword "or", noting that I was referring to the whole genre.

E: Though I'll admit my post is poorly written I got constantly interrupted and wrote it over the course of like 15 minutes.

It's neither of the things you mention, though. The high chaos ending is not a bad ending or a low rank ending. Dishonored's endings aren't a bad and a good ending.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

AlphaKretin posted:

This is another thing that Phantom Pain does well. While the main missions are ranked, the open world stuff isn't, so you can play with all those awesome weapons to no downside, just as long as you remember to actually do the objective.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Welp teach me to whine about a game I haven't played in ages :downs: I'll shut up now.

Cleretic posted:

This is another thing that Phantom Pain does well. While the main missions are ranked, the open world stuff isn't, so you can play with all those awesome weapons to no downside, just as long as you remember to actually do the objective.

Except to say that this game needs to be on my steam wishlist, like, last week.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Alien isolation is an amazing game that evokes the feel of the original movie extraordinarily well and is just about the finest horror game I've ever played. It is, however, marred by being just a fraction overlong with a third act that drags a bit, but even that is forgivable in comparison with literally the last minute of the game. The final 30 seconds of gameplay and the super abrupt ending feels like finding a fleck of poo at the bottom of a delicious ice-cream cone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It's neither of the things you mention, though. The high chaos ending is not a bad ending or a low rank ending. Dishonored's endings aren't a bad and a good ending.

High Chaos in Dishonored is definitely spun as a bad thing. They talk about by doing it you're making the plague worse because you're feeding more rats by creating corpses. Also the High Chaos ending points out that the new Empress is a blood thirsty monster because she followed your lead.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

I almost always play a game as a good guy the first time, then go back and play evil style. Sneaky style was pretty boring in this game.

Boy was I mad about getting such a bleak ending after feeling like a bad rear end demigod killing-machine the second time around.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

High Chaos in Dishonored is definitely spun as a bad thing. They talk about by doing it you're making the plague worse because you're feeding more rats by creating corpses. Also the High Chaos ending points out that the new Empress is a blood thirsty monster because she followed your lead.

Technically the Empire is now a embargoed shutout among the world in a desperate bid to keep out the plague by other States, running to a resource crisis at full speed, and has only recently finished a year long civil war. The place is hosed with a Child on the throne regardless, at least if she has force to her words she might calm things down before her inevitable death. All endings are the bad ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StealthArcher posted:

Technically the Empire is now a embargoed shutout among the world in a desperate bid to keep out the plague by other States, running to a resource crisis at full speed, and has only recently finished a year long civil war. The place is hosed with a Child on the throne regardless, at least if she has force to her words she might calm things down before her inevitable death. All endings are the bad ending.

Doesn't the low chaos ending say the plague goes away and she brings in an age of enlightenment or something? It's unambiguously a good ending except the world's about to end anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The world still has a thousand years or so before it falls into the void.

Still doesn't get past the fact that they're in peak whale oil.