Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

Thought I’d drop a line about what transpired during the worst trip I ever had to a GameStop…

It was back before the release of the PS4. I had placed my full deposit towards the console months before and was eagerly awaiting launch day so I could swing through and pick mine up. Pre-order receipt in hand, I walked into the store and stood in the half-hour line until I got to the counter and was told that they didn’t have a pre-order for me. I laughed and presented my receipt (printed and highlighted at the very store I was in). They ran the numbers and said that, nope, sorry, they don’t have a reservation under my name.

Confused, I mentioned the receipt and they said they just don’t have record of it in the system and they couldn’t release it without that. I figured, okay, I’ll go and get all the physical proof I could. I took my receipt and went home, printed up my bank statement from the time of the transaction, made sure to link all the numbers to the right place and returned to the store. Still nothing they can do, according to the front desk attendant. I ask to see the manager, which of course irritates the person who wasn’t helping me. Which of course irritates me, I’m SO SORRY that I don’t want to just walk away from a 400-dollar-or-so investment because YOU hosed up!

After some confusion, the manager, who in all fairness did his absolute best to locate my reservation, said that due to some internal error my reservation had been overwritten. Done at this point after 4 hours, I just said “Fine” and asked for a refund. THEN the manager said that he could return the money in store credit for the full amount or 80% of the amount in cash. My jaw dropped. Not only had they hosed me out of the console I had been waiting months for, but I also had the privilege of losing 80 bucks in the process.

I took the cash and went to the Walmart in the shopping block. Got a PS4 in 20 minutes.

gently caress Gamestop.

End.

quote:

I very vividly [remember] when I was treated poorly when I went into a GameStop because it was the last time I stepped foot into one. I remember walking in on launch day for Bioshock Infinite and asking to purchase a copy, and the manager asked me if I had preordered it. I kindly responded that I did not but I would like to purchase it anyway. The manager and the other employee looked at each other for a few seconds and then replied with “Are you an idiot?”

I froze and I didn’t actually know how to respond and I just kind of starred at him. He then proceeded “Why would you buy a game on launch day without pre ordering it?” To that I responded “I didn’t really think anything of it I just figured I’d see if you had a copy.” He replied to me “It’s stupid to buy a game on launch day without preordering it.”

At this point I was getting kind of agitated as I replied “You mentioned that already but do you have it?” And so he blankly stared at me for a few seconds then without saying a word just walked into the back of the store. I didn’t know if at this point he was getting the game or just waiting back there till I lost interest and went away.

More than ten minutes later he comes back out and just tosses the game on the counter and goes “Yeah we have it.” At that point I was flat out pissed off and I responded with “So you’re saying you do have it in stock despite me not preordering it.... So the point of me preordering it would be?...” He just blankly looked at me and said “If you preorder it, it guarantees we have a copy for you and you get pre order bonuses now do you want it or not?” I looked at him and paused for a second and just said “Nope” and walked out and bought the game at Best Buy which was in the same mall.

The clerks at Best Buy gave me no hassle and got the game for me quickly and I have not been back into a GameStop since. I realize this probably isn’t even half as bad as other stories but I was just so enraged after it happened that he actually asked if I was an idiot for not preordering something that they had in stock anyway!

quote:

Three years ago I would go to a Gamestop in LA every other week. The people who worked there were smart and all around good employees. That was, UNTIL STEVE CAME. The store had a change in management and this guy named Steve took over the store. He was one of those nerdy, gross, all around unhygienic special snowflakes who had to have everything his way. He unnecessarily yelled at customers and employees for things that were perfectly okay.

One time I was in the store and he yelled at a couple of kids around the age of 8, because they were “fogging up the Gameboy games case” by breathing on it. He was also the Gamestop equivalent of selling drugs to kids. He forced people who worked at the store to charge kids under 17 10 bucks if they wanted to buy M rated games (which is punishable by jail time here in California, but hey, Steve gets what Steve wants). A friend of mine worked there during the time Steve was in charge, and he told me half the employees had quit, and store sales went down 70%.

Steve just never came in on weekends so luckily Saturdays were a safe haven for the store. Sadly, even with no-Steve-Sundays, the store’s lease ran out a year and a half ago. Steve and my friend were transferred to work at the register in another mall in LA. Steve was fired and banned from every Gamestop in California within 3 days.

Why was he fired? He threw a game case at an irate mother trying to return an unopened game an HOUR after its 2 week warranty was up. Whose mother was that? My mother. gently caress Steve.

quote:

I have always had a baby face. At 27, I look like I’m a teenager, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be carded well into my thirties.

That being said.

Last year was my first year teaching high school English. We were in pre-service training for three weeks before school started, so I thought that I was fairly well known among the faculty and that I knew all of them. On the first day, I wore a long dress and heavy makeup in an attempt to make myself look older than my sophomores, and I thought it worked pretty well.

Until lunch.

I took a well-deserved break in the staff lounge and an older teacher proceeded to yell at me for five minutes about how students weren’t allowed in the staff areas and how had I gotten in and who was my dean before he noticed the big, shiny badge on my chest that said TEACHER.

The funny thing is that the exact same teacher did the exact same thing when I was trying to finalize my grades during finals week in may.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

quote:

He was one of those nerdy, gross, all around unhygienic special snowflakes who had to have everything his way.

The lack of self-awareness is amazing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I could believe the first two gamestop ones at least. The employees there really are (or at least, are trained to be) assholes if you don't do things the "right" way. Every time in recent memory I wanted to buy a new copy of a game, I got the "you can get this for 5 dollars cheaper if you by pre-owned, you're only paying for the shrinkwrapping with a new copy" lecture and some of them get pretty pushy about it and act as if you're the dumbest person on earth for not doing (thing that increases profit for gamestop but has no tangible benefit to you).

vv that's why i added the "or least, are trained to be" caveat. Just because it's something you're forced to do doesn't make it less annoying for the customer. I can sympathize and understand and be annoyed at the same time.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Sep 5, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If it's not obvious, it's because they basically lose their jobs if they don't (not that it makes it any better). As of a couple years ago, each store had a quota of tradeins (since they're basically a kid-friendly pawn shop), preorders, and pro subscriptions (which have been turned into magizine subscriptions). They were also docked for anyone cancelling a preorder no matter what store they originally got it at - if you organized a group of people you could totally gently caress over a store by giving them literally negative amounts of the only sales corporate cared about. They constantly went on about it, to the point that the holy trinity of the only thing the store cared about was even printed on the back of ID cards to remind you of the only thing you're really there for. If a store's numbers were ever under the quota, they would cut the store's hours, so I can totally see barely-above-min-wage workers harassing customers for doing things like that

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

kizudarake posted:

quote:

I have always had a baby face. At 27, I look like I’m a teenager, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be carded well into my thirties.

That being said.

Last year was my first year teaching high school English. We were in pre-service training for three weeks before school started, so I thought that I was fairly well known among the faculty and that I knew all of them. On the first day, I wore a long dress and heavy makeup in an attempt to make myself look older than my sophomores, and I thought it worked pretty well.

Until lunch.

I took a well-deserved break in the staff lounge and an older teacher proceeded to yell at me for five minutes about how students weren’t allowed in the staff areas and how had I gotten in and who was my dean before he noticed the big, shiny badge on my chest that said TEACHER.

The funny thing is that the exact same teacher did the exact same thing when I was trying to finalize my grades during finals week in may.

I can believe it. Almost the exact same thing happened to my wife, at about the same age, and even more unbelievably in a middle school. I can only surmise that in the same way some people have face blindness, others have some kind of 'age' blindness. She had to show her badge and everything.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Guy Montag posted:

I can believe it. Almost the exact same thing happened to my wife, at about the same age, and even more unbelievably in a middle school. I can only surmise that in the same way some people have face blindness, others have some kind of 'age' blindness. She had to show her badge and everything.

I guess people yell less than 5 minutes at her before she clears it up.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

kizudarake posted:

quote:

Three years ago I would go to a Gamestop in LA every other week. The people who worked there were smart and all around good employees. That was, UNTIL STEVE CAME. The store had a change in management and this guy named Steve took over the store. He was one of those nerdy, gross, all around unhygienic special snowflakes who had to have everything his way. He unnecessarily yelled at customers and employees for things that were perfectly okay.

One time I was in the store and he yelled at a couple of kids around the age of 8, because they were “fogging up the Gameboy games case” by breathing on it. He was also the Gamestop equivalent of selling drugs to kids. He forced people who worked at the store to charge kids under 17 10 bucks if they wanted to buy M rated games (which is punishable by jail time here in California, but hey, Steve gets what Steve wants). A friend of mine worked there during the time Steve was in charge, and he told me half the employees had quit, and store sales went down 70%.

Steve just never came in on weekends so luckily Saturdays were a safe haven for the store. Sadly, even with no-Steve-Sundays, the store’s lease ran out a year and a half ago. Steve and my friend were transferred to work at the register in another mall in LA. Steve was fired and banned from every Gamestop in California within 3 days.

Why was he fired? He threw a game case at an irate mother trying to return an unopened game an HOUR after its 2 week warranty was up. Whose mother was that? My mother. gently caress Steve.

And my name? Well, I'm just a nobody name Albert Einstein

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

kizudarake posted:

(which is punishable by jail time here in California, but hey, Steve gets what Steve wants)

Just because offhand comments of "fact" like this piss me off, the law is from more than 5 years ago and was thrown out by the courts before it was scheduled to be enacted, and the supreme court upheld the rejection of the law

(Yeah, text, but the crappy kind of pdf that has a new line after each character)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Guy Montag posted:

I had the opposite happen to me when I was fourteen. I was talking to a new janitor at my school and he asked me "So, what do you teach?"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That's probably because you actually treated the janitor like a human being, which isn't exactly common

Hope you had a great marriage!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Earlier today I went to *pharmacy* to pick up a few things, and while I was standing in line to pay, the girl in front of me did not get off her phone the entire time. Didn't acknowledge the clerk when he said hello, had to be told twice to hand over payment, and then proceeded to say her goodbyes to whoever she was talking to while continuing to stand at the register. She hung up, gathered her bags, and left the lane without saying a word to the poor clerk, only to put her bags down directly in front of the entrance and send a text while people walked around her. At that point, I snapped, verbally eviscerated her, snatched her phone out of her hands with ninja-like precision and slam dunked it straight into a bucket of *pharmacy* brand disinfectant. Everyone in the whole store started clapping, and she ran out crying and promptly got hit by a city bus. I calmly stepped back in line, paid for my things, and left. When I got home, I saw that the clerk had written his number on the receipt, and even though that was only a few hours ago, I'm pretty sure wedding bells are in our future.

Sadly, nothing about the girl is exaggerated, it was probably the rudest, most clueless thing I've ever seen in my life, and tbh it kind of brought down my day. In reality, though, I just stood there shooting death glares at the back of her head while the clerk shot them at the front. I strongly considered calling her out, but I'm a gigantic pussy so I did not. The clerk and I did have a bonding moment where we expressed shock at how terrible she was, then watched out the window to see if she actually was dumb enough to walk into traffic, but he was very, very gay, so I'm alone in my indignation.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
People like that are so self-absorbed that even if you had called her out it would have been pointless, she either wouldn't care or make a big scene. Real stdh is anybody ever changing their lovely habits.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

Earlier today I went to *pharmacy* to pick up a few things, and while I was standing in line to pay, the girl in front of me did not get off her phone the entire time. Didn't acknowledge the clerk when he said hello, had to be told twice to hand over payment, and then proceeded to say her goodbyes to whoever she was talking to while continuing to stand at the register. She hung up, gathered her bags, and left the lane without saying a word to the poor clerk, only to put her bags down directly in front of the entrance and send a text while people walked around her. At that point, I snapped, verbally eviscerated her, snatched her phone out of her hands with ninja-like precision and slam dunked it straight into a bucket of *pharmacy* brand disinfectant. Everyone in the whole store started clapping, and she ran out crying and promptly got hit by a city bus. I calmly stepped back in line, paid for my things, and left. When I got home, I saw that the clerk had written his number on the receipt, and even though that was only a few hours ago, I'm pretty sure wedding bells are in our future.

Sadly, nothing about the girl is exaggerated, it was probably the rudest, most clueless thing I've ever seen in my life, and tbh it kind of brought down my day. In reality, though, I just stood there shooting death glares at the back of her head while the clerk shot them at the front. I strongly considered calling her out, but I'm a gigantic pussy so I did not. The clerk and I did have a bonding moment where we expressed shock at how terrible she was, then watched out the window to see if she actually was dumb enough to walk into traffic, but he was very, very gay, so I'm alone in my indignation.

no "without missing a beat," clerk wasn't taye diggs

7/10

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Edit: I can't use technology good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I never minded when people came up to my till on the phone because I figured some conversations were important and usually they still paid promptly and without fuss. Some people used to keep their headphones in and I could hear the music which was a bit odd but not irritating. People who threw money on the counter when I had my hand out for it were mildly irritating though.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

EmmyOk posted:

I never minded when people came up to my till on the phone because I figured some conversations were important and usually they still paid promptly and without fuss. Some people used to keep their headphones in and I could hear the music which was a bit odd but not irritating. People who threw money on the counter when I had my hand out for it were mildly irritating though.

People who put their money on the counter usually got their change on the counter too. I'd lay it closer to my side so they had to reach over to get and in the mean time I went to mark their order or help with another drink. I was really PA but I never had anyone complain.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

This honestly doesn't seem that STDH to me. Women aren't all that "ladylike" around each other, you know.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Every post in this thread is apparently believable to someone.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Every post in this thread is apparently believable to someone.

I have seen many level 11 buttholes. Source: I have seen many butts

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

This honestly doesn't seem that STDH to me. Women aren't all that "ladylike" around each other, you know.

Definitely the kind of joke my grandma would tell. I'm not rage-quitter though.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"My grandma is all, 'sucking dick bought this van'" - goons

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ElGroucho posted:

"My grandma is all, 'sucking dick bought this van'" - goons

The irony of a goon complaining about goons is second in deliciousness only to Republican tears.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

How dare this rear end in a top hat teacher contact authorities after his student basically writes a suicide note and gives it to him

PUGGERNAUT has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How dare this rear end in a top hat teacher contact authorities after his student basically writes a suicide note and gives it to him
Tables that never happened.

Also how dare he do his job by insisting his students actually pay attention. What a cock.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

PUGGERNAUT posted:

If my handwriting looked like the scratchings of a crazy infant I'd probably want to die too.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
That is some serious chickenscratch
You're speaking out on behalf of whom? God forbid a teacher tell you to pay attention in a CLASSROOM. As for the online study, some people do learn better at a different pace than given in classrooms, so I can at least believe that one. Not the grades mind you, but the "I did better there than here" thing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Writes heartfelt note about suicide, takes out smartphone, uploads to tumblr.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He was one of those teachers that make you feel like a failure, and it was definitely the teacher that did that and not the depression.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

You know what girls really like after leaving abusive relationships? Sex.

Verisimilidude has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Sep 6, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Verisimilidude posted:

This one is just straight up disgusting on so many different levels.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

They aren't officially broken up til it's facebook official

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is that meme toddler grown up yet because holy gently caress he's going to see his face plastered on some horrible bullshit when he's older

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

goose fleet posted:

Is that meme toddler grown up yet because holy gently caress he's going to see his face plastered on some horrible bullshit when he's older

No, he's still the same age he was years ago when that photo was taken.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Some kind of Faustian, picture of Dorian Grey situation. The memes keep getting more horrible while the baby stays young forever

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008

goose fleet posted:

He's 8 now, and making money off his meme status

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/04/16/success-kid-meme-boy-gofundme-account-dads-kidney-transplant/25866103/

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My favorite part is that if it wasn't for his internet famous son he'd never have money for life-saving medical treatment because of the state of the American healthcare system

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
That's one thing that has always made me really uncomfortable about the real person's face memes. That kid, Good Guy Greg, the awkward freshman, the ehrmagerd girl. Until your dying day your face will be plastered behind text you may or may not agree with and the association with the meme.

Even the sarcastic Willy Wonka meme, and I know that's just a character. Leave Gene Wilder alone, dude doesn't want to be a mouthpiece for your dumb opinions

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

That's one thing that has always made me really uncomfortable about the real person's face memes. That kid, Good Guy Greg, the awkward freshman, the ehrmagerd girl. Until your dying day your face will be plastered behind text you may or may not agree with and the association with the meme.

Even the sarcastic Willy Wonka meme, and I know that's just a character. Leave Gene Wilder alone, dude doesn't want to be a mouthpiece for your dumb opinions

Except that if you complain you end up invoking the Streisand Effect.

Now there's an association I sure as hell wouldn't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

• Locked thread