Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Highlights from tonight's show:

- Prakash Sabar interfered on the United Nations' behalf and FINALLY hit the Bronco Buster after two years of failing. The post-match hinted at a future Sean Waltman/Sabar match down the line.

- One of the dudes in the Fight Club Pro match did an airplane spin WHILE doing a big swing. My mind insists it was CGI somehow.

- Kevin Condron beat Icarus by hitting him in the head with a chair behind the ref's back. Icarus has been in every Trios tournament and this is the first time he's ever failed to get past the first round. Afterwards, everyone treated it like a serious thing as they brought him to the back, likely playing on his recent history with concussions.

- Oleg wore Batiri war paint, but the Batiri were jerks to him.

- Hollywood Nova was doing Hogan poses. Then he noticed he was in the ring with Blaster McMassive. A chant of "THIS IS AWKWARD!" broke out and Nova decided to sheepishly sneak out of the ring.

- Devastation Corporation vs. Blue World Order had a hilarious spot between Max Smashmaster and Blue Meanie where they argued who would run the ropes during their test of strength. It became a heated, loud, yet strangely civilized argument. "YOU RUN! YOU'RE FATTER!" "THAT MEANS THAT YOU'RE MORE MOBILE AND THEREFORE SHOULD RUN!" "YOU RAISE A GOOD POINT, BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO IT SO YOU RUN!" "HOW ABOUT ON THE COUNT OF THREE WE BOTH RUN?!" "THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, LET'S DO IT!"

- Kung Fu Grip is a really nice guy IRL and cool to talk to.

- Amasis had a pretty sweet ant mask on during his match.

- AJ Styles had rainbow streamers thrown at him when he entered the ring.

- Missile Assault Man killed a bus full of children in Zimbabwe.

- AJ slipped off the top rope during a spot, recovered, hit a different move, then complained about the stupid lucha ropes. After the match, the Young Bucks superkicked the top rope out of revenge.

- Snake Pit vs. Nightmare Warriors was really good, though to my surprise, Nightmare Warriors won. Snake Pit was my pick to win. Silver Ant's been kind of brainwashed by Hallowicked and acted as a heel. Afterwards, Hallowicked and Frightmare asked for him to join their post-match prayer. Finally, Silver Ant agreed and embraced them. Then they tore off part of his mask to reveal a red and white color scheme (to match his teammates).

- Eddie Kingston gets poo poo on a bunch here, but he's so great in trios match. It's the Roman Reigns effect.

- Aerostar brought a flamethrower with him. Really.

- In the spot that made me mark harder than anything in forever, Orange Cassidy appeared on the apron to surprise Drago by spitting orange juice mist into his face. Drago completely no-sold it and engulfed him in green mist in return.

The teams that advanced:

United Nations
Fight Club Pro
Arcane Horde
Devastation Corporation
Kevin Condron Presents Battleborn
Bullet Club
Nightmare Warriors
Team AAA

I HAVE to imagine Bullet Club vs. AAA is the Night 2 main event. It's too much of a money match to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

- Kung Fu Grip is a really nice guy IRL and cool to talk to.

Very important info here

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

KungFu Grip posted:

Very important info here

I'll see you tomorrow, since I was on negative sleep before the show even started

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You can tell I am a huge Chikara mark when I actually got angry Bullet Club went over Battle Hive

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Surprisingly, a lot of heels went over in the first round. United Nations, Devastation Corporation, Battleborn and Nightmare Warriors are straight-up heels. Arcane Horde is a face team, but they were borderline heels in comparison to Crown and Court. Then Bullet Club were most definitely heels against Battle Hive, even though they can easily switch if they felt like it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Missile Assault Man is like what a lovely Biff Busick would be.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Jon Barber is the Eva Marie of Chikara. Only he doesn't have a reality show to fall back on.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DM Punk posted:

Jon Barber is the Eva Marie of Chikara. Only he doesn't have a reality show to fall back on.

He was really awkward in the ring after intermission and didn't seem to have any interest in calling matches or moving his arms at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DM Punk posted:

Jon Barber is such a bad ref I am pretty sure its deliberate at this point

Last time they were in Easton he botched the end of a match so badly that Eddie Kingston threw a huge shitfit that I am not sure was scripted

KungFu Grip posted:

Missile Assault Man is disappointing because he was the only 2012-2013 colony expansion guy to really click other than AssailANT. Plus, there are already two other "haunted angry tweener ants" with Soldier Ant and Silver Ant so it seems like kind of a waste.

The joke of calling him Missile Assault Man is great though

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 5, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Gavok posted:

- Eddie Kingston gets poo poo on a bunch here, but he's so great in trios match. It's the Roman Reigns effect.

As someone who has poo poo on him in the past a bit, he really is great in any non-singles match. It covers his weaknesses (lack of owning knees primarily) and still lets him do what he's pretty good at (hard-hitting moves that may or may not be way too stiff).

But there's no reason without miracle surgery that Kingston should be working lots of single matches in 2015 or beyond.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gavok posted:

- One of the dudes in the Fight Club Pro match did an airplane spin WHILE doing a big swing. My mind insists it was CGI somehow.

Tyler bates is ridiculously good, especially when you realise he has only just turned 18

How he has a moustache that impressive at his age I have no idea

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'd like to also say that this felt like the best Night 1 in a long time. The post-intermission matches were especially great. I spent most of the last 3 matches marking out.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'll be in the second row for night 3. I'm really looking forward to seeing 3.0 again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Someone in the crowd yelled "MISSILE! ASSAULT! BRISCOE!" which was pretty funny.

(On a similar note, I'm happy that my exclamation of "THE ANT COMMUNITY?!" during Bullet Club vs. Battlehive got a good couple laughs)

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jon Barber is such a bad ref I am pretty sure its deliberate at this point

I don't recognize ref behavior as much as others, but his double count during the Nightmare Warriors/Snake Pit match stuck out at me as being really sad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember when Jon Barber used to be a "wrestling journalist" and he sucked at that, too. Got banned from DVDVR pretty quick because he wouldn't stop plugging a retrospective on XPW. Other than Rob Black, who loving cares about XPW?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Barber bragged on Twitter about getting Sean Waltman hooked on drugs again during King of Trios weekend in 2011. He's a piece of poo poo.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Are you loving serious?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Wow. gently caress Barber even more if that's true.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He deleted his account a while ago, but yeah I remember that. Was surprised he didn't get more hell for it at the time

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fenix said a swear word and now Quack isn't allowing him to sell merchandise as punishment.

Apparently fans are starting obscene chants in protest and getting kicked out.

There is a CHIKARA riot happening. My dreams are coming true.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Fenix said a swear word and now Quack isn't allowing him to sell merchandise as punishment.

Apparently fans are starting obscene chants in protest and getting kicked out.

There is a CHIKARA riot happening. My dreams are coming true.

You mean the one he said last night or did he say something again? I ain't there today.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I also missed tonight and would like to hear this story.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
From reading /wooo/ Fenix shouted "gently caress YOU!" during Team AAA's match (I'd assume at his opponents?). Then AAA wasn't at their merch table at intermission, Fenix grabbed some shirts and left.

Also this: https://twitter.com/johnblud/status/640339900517228544/photo/1

If Quack's trying to big time AAA/kicking out Fenix for cussing then loving :laffo: .

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Suben posted:

From reading /wooo/ Fenix shouted "gently caress YOU!" during Team AAA's match (I'd assume at his opponents?). Then AAA wasn't at their merch table at intermission, Fenix grabbed some shirts and left.

If Quack's trying to big time AAA/kicking out Fenix for cussing then loving :laffo: .

I mean, he swore last night too so maybe it was one of those things where he was already told not to do it?

I am split, on one hand, trying to punish Fenix for swearing seems extreme, but, on the other hand, enforcing a no-swearing policy and keeping Chikara family friendly is part of its charm.

If Fenix made a mistake and this was Quack's reaction, Quack is being a dick. But if Fenix knew he wasn't allowed to do it and did it anyways then Fenix is being the dick here.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Suben posted:

I refuse to believe this. Quack isn't THAT petty.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Jubs posted:

Considering Steen wasn't booked for a long time for the same reason, apparently, I believe it.

I know it's a family friendly promotion and all but I don't think manchildren count as actual children.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Suben posted:

Considering Steen wasn't booked for a long time for the same reason, apparently, I believe it.

I know it's a family friendly promotion and all but I don't think manchildren count as actual children.

At the same time, the reason I do Chikara and not any other Indys is because the weird rear end in a top hat fans who want to turn every crowd into a low-rate ECW are also pretty obnoxious. Chikara crowds are the most fun to be in and part of it is everyone isn't trying to be as antagonistic as possible.

If you are upset at the company during a PG show and start chanting profanity you are being the manchild here.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

It's OK to run an angle about killing a bunch of children, but if you swear you've crossed a major line. Also, if you make my coffee wrong, you've crossed another major line.

-Things Mike Quackenbush believes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's 2015 and people still think there are limits on how much of an rear end Quack is

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

quack is a lame nerd, swearing is cool and fun

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I was there brothers and can confirm because i sat near AAA's merch table and saw Fenix leave with his stuff. His team advanced so I hope Quack lets them wrestle tomorrow. I didn't know Fenix cursed last night too.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jubs posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guess Fenix is sleeping on the couch tonight.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, Team AAA won an awesome match. Fenix pretty loudly yelled "gently caress you" at Frightmare who was in a corner. Crowd got really quiet for a good 30 seconds before chanting "You can't say that".

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal and I didn't see anyone in the crowd complaining. They were even chanting Fenix's name a couple mins later. Quack gonna Quack I suppose.

The show was really good though. When 3.0 came out, the Uproxx chick was sitting behind me pouting in her chair like a spoiled brat. Th at made me smile.

Oleg had himself quite a night though. Dude is really over now.

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 6, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Overall results?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

KungFu Grip posted:

I was there brothers and can confirm because i sat near AAA's merch table and saw Fenix leave with his stuff. His team advanced so I hope Quack lets them wrestle tomorrow. I didn't know Fenix cursed last night too.

Chuck Taylor in a Fenix mask

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Barber wasnt on the show at all tonight so maybe Quack axed him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomorrow's probably the last time you see Fenix in Chikara for a while, if not for good, and it's a drat shame it's going to be over cursing

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

It seems Larry Pearce is gonna be a regular ref going forward. Crowd already loves him. Dave the Potato Dawson from AIW also worked this show tonight. Probably came with Matt Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Capsaicin posted:

Overall results?

Jaka beat Ashley Remington in a CotI match thanks to Bakabella's interference.
Fight Club Pro defeated United Nations
Shynron beat 2 Cold Scorpio, Amasis and Matt Cross for RDV
Team AAA beat Nightmare Warriors
NRG and 3.0 beat Colony XTREME Force and Flying Francis
Bullet Club beat Battleborn
Mandrews beat Mascara whatever-his-name-is, Ophidian and Pinkie
Devastation Corporation beat Arcane Horde

So the thing with Fenix is that it wasn't like the usual people cursing during Chikara shows. Like, it was SO BLATANT. It was downright climactic. He was the face in peril for a while, started doing his comeback, pushed Frightmare into the corner, flipped him off with both hands and loudly went "gently caress YOU!!" before continuing. There's a reason everyone's talking about it. Everyone in the arena heard it.

The other guys getting kicked out had nothing to do with Fenix. They were a group of guys who were being dicks the first night and got a bunch of complaints. Then they kept it up the second night and got thrown out.

KungFu Grip posted:

He was at the Conclave.

I'll talk more about the show later. Tired now.

• Locked thread