Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Speaking of tinny MIDI this deserves a spot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBA5NHDoOh0

I feel bad for the guy whose job it was to paw at an unpowered keyboard and try to not look embarrassed by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

stillvisions posted:

Speaking of tinny MIDI this deserves a spot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBA5NHDoOh0

I feel bad for the guy whose job it was to paw at an unpowered keyboard and try to not look embarrassed by the whole thing.

Coming to an RSL club near you!

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I get unreasonably upset when people refer to sound as midi.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Apple music is superior

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
New one for me:

Guy: "Hey what's your cheapest guitars."

*walks to the fender acoustics and seagulls*

Guy: "Oh do you carry Garrison Guitars? They're Newfoundland made."

Me: "No sorry don't carry those, if you're interested we do have Seagulls and Simon & Patricks which are made in Canada, outside of Montreal."

Guy: "I don't do French."

Me: "What?"

Guy: "I don't buy French."

Me: "The guitars don't speak French buddy."

*Explains what he can get in the 200-300 CAD range, made in Indonesia & China."

Guy: Okay thanks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

secessionist guitars? no thanks!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fyodor posted:

secessionist guitars? no thanks!

Well, I wouldn't play a Zakk Wylde confederate guitar.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Considering they haven't seceded and the guitars advertise Made in Canada proudly, I'ma say it's not like the ZW guitar.

Also Garrison is owned by Gibson now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

Considering they haven't seceded and the guitars advertise Made in Canada proudly, I'ma say it's not like the ZW guitar.

Also Garrison is owned by Gibson now.

Yeah, I'm not trying to compare Quebec to the south, just pointing at the only actually-secessionist guitar I can think of offhand.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

Well, I wouldn't play a Zakk Wylde confederate guitar.

lotsa rebels in suburban new jersey

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

lotsa rebels in suburban new jersey

I wouldn't be surprised, considering how many flags of that sort I saw just over the river in eastern PA

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

W424 posted:

I get unreasonably upset when people refer to sound as midi.

Dude, midi is a digital format, you can't get proper tonal warmth without using analog control voltages.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stillvisions posted:

Dude, midi is a digital format, you can't get proper tonal warmth without using analog control voltages.

what

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stupid Music poo poo: Grateful Dead Edition

Nope. No cymbals. Also no pedal on that bass drum, it's just for show. Also most of the time Mickey's using these huge red plastic brushes that make basically no noise.

He switches to mallets for half of Uncle John's Band and he's audible, it's not the sound guy's fault. It's "I'm a special snowflake and have to play my weird brushes."

Also he has a glove roadie to help him put his gloves back on after the drum solo.

Amazing.

Phil's gonna take everyone to the TONE ZONE with all these knobs. You have two pickups, what the gently caress is all this poo poo for?

Dammit, Trey, Jerry didn't play through stacked tube screamers, you're going to ruin the immersion for everyone in the audience.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that bass has a nutsack carved into it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it scrapes the dead skin off your nuts

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy

that bitch has some spikey titties.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Allen Wren posted:

Nope. No cymbals. Also no pedal on that bass drum, it's just for show. Also most of the time Mickey's using these huge red plastic brushes that make basically no noise.

He switches to mallets for half of Uncle John's Band and he's audible, it's not the sound guy's fault. It's "I'm a special snowflake and have to play my weird brushes."

Also he has a glove roadie to help him put his gloves back on after the drum solo.

this is loving awesome

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Allen Wren posted:

Stupid Music poo poo: Grateful Dead Edition

That guy on the left totally doesn't know this song and he's watching the bass player to follow along

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ZombieParts posted:

That guy on the left totally doesn't know this song and he's watching the bass player to follow along

There were definitely a couple spots where Weir or Lesh just plain lost the plot (like more than usual) and they kinda crash headlong into it, have to take the verse from the top or pick up the right chord after a couple beats. These dudes are practically reanimated corpses.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

That's pretty much the Dead's thing though is aimless jamming for hours. Also if it's the guy I'm thinking about he wrote a couple of cool books about drums, one about the various drum myths and the other about meeting his deadbeat drummer dad at a snare drum competition.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

This thread has helped my social life. A friend lent me a boss sd1 "modified to tube screamer specs" and I had some idea what she was talking about, yay. Also a $200 Les Paul copy she bought came with a dead pot and she told me she was getting it fixed (apparently for free) and I was able to ask why if she's just going to rip the electronics out when she changes pickups (not knowing it was free.) This is cool.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Aoi-chan posted:

This thread has helped my social life. A friend lent me a boss sd1 "modified to tube screamer specs" and I had some idea what she was talking about, yay. Also a $200 Les Paul copy she bought came with a dead pot and she told me she was getting it fixed (apparently for free) and I was able to ask why if she's just going to rip the electronics out when she changes pickups (not knowing it was free.) This is cool.

now you need to get a Sweetwater credit card and spend $1500 minimum on a sweet guitar

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sounds like a cool friend

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcLggOafKM
I miss whatever the gently caress this thread is now.

This is fairly goofy, technically cool I suppose but I mean, why? (Or is the real question "why not?")
It's got that Nintentone that you could never really get from a Sega Over Drive

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfeFe4CKEk
https://youtu.be/nJfeFe4CKEk

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This is amazing, when he drew the bell curve I thought he was gunna start talking about frequencies and amplitude or some poo poo but nope
e: oh man he mentioned Obama for some reason this is awesome
e2: yeah there he goes doing the retard voice

sout fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 27, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think he flipped his chart left to right when he went to place himself.

Holy poo poo what an insufferable jerkoff.

E: Oh, and now he just goes and shits all over people who went to trade school. What a winner :rolleyes:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 27, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sout posted:

I miss whatever the gently caress this thread is now.

I hear you. We haven't posted anywhere near enough stupid poo poo lately.

So I gave it a think. Where's the place you're most likely to find people who think they know even half a thing about musical instruments and are going to be really pretentious about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qgObiyDqk

MAKER FAIRE.

YES. Makers, the people who are REALLY loving SMUG about having built something out of crap they have laying around the house.

A land where everything is made from or powered by discarded bicycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-qhyutqBCo

I mean, really. Look at this loving thing.

A land of constant knitting!

Knit guitars!

A drummer who doesn't stop knitting even while playing drums!

A land of one-man bands!

A land where cigar box instruments are produced by the metric ton, but if you smoke an actual cigar, you will have pasty white motherfuckers in utilikilts telling you how much better vaping is!

Another picture of that guy from the first video!

This...thing?

This guy just playin' a shovel, lookin' like a roadie for Dexys Midnight Runners.

If you can't play a real guitar or build one, here, get this "4-string guitar" kit from Japan! BE A MAKER.

Or you can get the body of one 3-D printed!

...sigh. And then there's this guy.

quote:

Besides being able to cobble together impromptu heterogeneous digital instruments on the fly, cross-platform mobile hacker and part-time smartphone rock god Steffest can also play. Not since Super Diamond have I seen a more compelling rendition of Cracklin Rosie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEdroh3uzM

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I couldn't handle more than like thirty seconds of this guy.

Here's another thing I found while putting together that last post:

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2010/5-15-10/gibson-zippo-5-18-10.html

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That's pretty cool looking at least

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

That's pretty cool looking at least

Yeah, it doesn't look bad, it's just dripping in smug and bad ideas.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Allen Wren posted:

A land of one-man bands!

My God, imagine the cacophony of horrible noise that must produce.

"BOOM TSK BOOM TSK FART FART FART"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

woodch posted:

My God, imagine the cacophony of horrible noise that must produce.

"BOOM TSK BOOM TSK FART FART FART"

:toot:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Youtube keeps recommending videos by this dipshit and I don't know how to make it stop.

LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmFlzksMCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTakSbI-Yk

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i chuckled at the bell curve part where he humbly circled the 130-140 mark where his iq resides

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so because there's no way in gently caress I'm going to sit through those videos, I just want to know, does he or does he not believe in tonewood?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Allen Wren posted:

so because there's no way in gently caress I'm going to sit through those videos, I just want to know, does he or does he not believe in tonewood?

Astonishingly he does not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Astonishingly he does not

Amazing.

• Locked thread