Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just burn your hands until you can't feel the pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Looking to replace my small wok with something bigger. I know Wok Shop is good but I don't know about hand hammered

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/wokshcasthah.html

e: Also looks like I may end up spending waaay too much money on this site. Always did want a cleaver http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/stainsteelcl.html

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 30, 2015

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I forgot my flat-bottomed wok was carbon steel and now it's rusty, but it was crappy anyway so I don't feel bad replacing it.

Unfortunately my range is electric, but and anyone recommend a flat-bottomed work that would work on a standard electric coil?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

wokgoons I have acquired these items today.

I am unsure what to do with them. I have a decent idea how to use the black bean sauce, but I bought the other just because it's a Laoganma I haven't had. It appears to be fermented tofu cubes?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's kinda like chou doufu, according to my gf.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay but what's an example way you'd use it in cooking? Is it supposed to be a topping or does it add something to the dish?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay but what's an example way you'd use it in cooking? Is it supposed to be a topping or does it add something to the dish?

She uses it as a topping, especially good for porridge apparently. Or to make the base sauce for hotpot.

Or as a snack, but that's kinda weird.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

She uses it as a topping, especially good for porridge apparently. Or to make the base sauce for hotpot.

Oh wow never heard of this one before :ohdear:

Just slap some on your wok and cook it with your meats. Or pan fried fish. I guess you can also add some to steam tofu with soy sauce

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I spent about 40 minutes hunting around my local Asian Supermarket to get a bunch of ingredients today. I found black vinegar, bird's eye chillis, sichuan peppercorns and Shaoxing wine without any trouble, but couldn't track down any Lao Gan Ma chilli crisp.

Luckily, I stumbled across it in the international aisle of my regular supermarket. Which isn't what I expected, but I'm certainly not gonna complain about it.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Be careful buying chilli crisp because there are like 4 different jars of chilli oil condiments by that sour looking billionaire that look identical.

E: you want this one

http://imgur.com/83EzSZv

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 8, 2015

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I got a stainless steel wok, with a metal handle and it's not non-stick. Is that okay? Can I still season it like in the video in the op?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Doghouse posted:

I got a stainless steel wok, with a metal handle and it's not non-stick. Is that okay? Can I still season it like in the video in the op?

yes.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm pretty sure the answers to your questions are yes, and kind of. You definitely want a non-stick wok but the instructional video in the OP is for seasoning carbon steel. not stainless. Stainless steel will not blacken and develop a non-stick surface like carbon steel. That said, there definitely are instructions online for seasoning stainless steel.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Be careful buying chilli crisp because there are like 4 different jars of chilli oil condiments by that sour looking billionaire that look identical.

The only difference between them (there are like 17 in my local supermarket) is that some have different flavoring. I'm partial to the beef one, myself.

They are all good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

They are all good.

This is true.

My favorite is the one with the fermented beans and bits of meat.

E: These are the ones I have right now.

The one on the right is my favorite and came out blurry. It's the 肉丝豆 kind.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 24, 2015

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I'm visiting relatives in China (Xi'an) and God I have missed the food. Is a quick brag allowed?

There's a chain near our place that sells amazing cold noodles, which literally made me cry (can't handle the heat but also can't stop). I died and went to food heaven!

... I'm salivating again just looking through my pics from yesterday, this place will get lots of my money before I have to leave.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
drat you plasmoduck. Bring some back for me. :colbert: Your pictures also make me want to go back to that restaurant..

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Haha my plan is to overeat on Shaanxi food so I won't miss it when I'm back, but it'll probably have the opposite effect! We should check out the other similar ones in Box Hill too!

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

plasmoduck posted:

I'm visiting relatives in China (Xi'an) and God I have missed the food. Is a quick brag allowed?

There's a chain near our place that sells amazing cold noodles, which literally made me cry (can't handle the heat but also can't stop). I died and went to food heaven!

... I'm salivating again just looking through my pics from yesterday, this place will get lots of my money before I have to leave.

God drat I love those little pita "hamburgers" from my time in Xi'an

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
So a couple years ago I was lucky enough to live in Knoxville while Peter Chang was chained up in the back of a terribly run restaurant, and ate mind blowing Sichuan food on a weekly basis.

I ended up moving away before it shut down, but I found another local place out here that serves authentic sichuan (La zi ji, etc.). One thing that surprised me was an appetizer I found on both restaurants' menus, that I've never seen in Dunlop's book or any kind of Sichuan cooking website.

"Hot and Numbing Pork (Or Beef) Rolls"

Having eaten about a hundred of the things, I still can not successfully recreate them at home. I tried using the "Cold Chicken with a Spicy Sichuanese Sauce" sauce from Land of Plenty, and the taste was quite a ways off. I've tried any combination of chili oil/soy sauce/etc. and can never get the light, balanced oil they use. I've also never been able to find a tortilla in any mexican grocery that was thin enough not to overpower the flavors.

The basic ingredients are:

Pork/Beef
Shredded cabbage or lettuce
Cilantro
Some kind of chili oil blend, including sichuan peppercorn
An extremely thin tortilla

Has anyone seen these available in other sichuan-specialized chinese restaurants? When I found it at Peter Chang's, I assumed it was a unique american affectation. Finding it again, nearly identical, several states away in another Sichuan restaurant makes me wonder if it's more widespread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chinese pancake maybe.

The chili oil you need to work on. Sichuanese chili oils are a Thing and master chefs often make their own chili oil for the day personally.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Force de Fappe posted:

Chinese pancake maybe.

The chili oil you need to work on. Sichuanese chili oils are a Thing and master chefs often make their own chili oil for the day personally.

I don't care if its a real recipe, but that picture makes me want to create some sort of sichuan moo shu pork recipe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

plasmoduck posted:

how do i make this

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I wish I knew! They're called Liang Pi - they're quite famous in Xi'an food so I'm sure there are some good recipes out there. I probably won't go into the trouble of making the noodle but will probably test some sauce recipes myself after I'm back.

Some more here: Mi Pi (same shop as above, these are with rice flour instead of wheat) and some cold shou gan mian (手擀面) from a different place

Man I just love Chinese cold noodles - lucky bastards that live in NYC and always have access to Xian Famous Foods!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 31, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Try going into your local place if it is run by Chinese. My one would cook you whatever you asked for so long as a) you knew what to ask for and didn't mushmouth the dish's name, and b) if they knew how to cook it and it wasn't an inappropriate dish (like you wouldn't ask for certain things at a diner, you don't ask for banquet dishes at a local takeaway)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I would like people's opinion on black vinegar brands. I'm looking for one that's both a bit sweet and tangy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My parents swear by 山西老陈醋 (shan xi lao chen cu)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Big Willy Style posted:

If you want to buy Spicy Chili Crisp then just buy the one that says Spicy Chili Crisp on it.

If it doesn't say Spicy Chili Crisp then it is a different flavor. The one you linked to does not say Spicy Chili Crisp.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Grand Fromage posted:

I marinate skirt steak in it. One tablespoon per pound.

Is good as a topping for dumplings. Mix a half teaspoon in with some mayonnaise and dip things into it. Fried rice, scrambled eggs, etc.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

totalnewbie posted:

My parents swear by 山西老陈醋 (shan xi lao chen cu)
Thanks! I'll look for some when I next get to 99 Ranch Market.

My next question is: Which cut might be most preferred for Red-Cooked Beef? I'm trying out a recipe I found for Red-Cooked Beef and it only mentions using bone-in beef, no specific cut. I'm new to cooking in general, and I only figure that I could use something usually tough that can benefit from being simmered for two hours.

Also, I am definitely in the market for cumin lamb recipes, if anyone has a particular favorite.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I finally tried angry lady recently. The flavour is great, and I love the crispy bits, but it's way too salty to actually eat. I will definitely be DIYing a batch though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bob_McBob posted:

I finally tried angry lady recently. The flavour is great, and I love the crispy bits, but it's way too salty to actually eat. I will definitely be DIYing a batch though.

???

Don't eat it with a spoon.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

plasmoduck posted:

If you have time you should check out Lanzhou sometime and get on that 牛肉面

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you're in Lanzhou you should get lamb noodles over beef, it's p tasty. I was in Lanzhou once years ago and went to a random lamian place and some giant fat dude in a rainbow shirt and rainbow hat came out and spoke some of the worst Mandarin I've ever heard and told me to order his lamb noodle... slices? I'm not sure how to translate 面片。

Anyway, it was the best soup I've ever had.

Lanzhou is a super depressing place otherwise, though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting.

Last few weeks were beautiful

So the family and I went to a seafood restaurant in Li Yu Mun, Hong Kong. You just pick whatever is in the fish tank and take it to a restaurant. Back in the 80's you get all sorts of sketchy endangered seafood but nowadays things have gotten better. slightly

boiled shrimp

1st course fish - panfried

2nd course fish - deep fried

Abalone

Sweet and sour pork

Deep fried scampi or pissing shrimp

Fried rice with egg whites and choi sum

Lobster with cream sauce noodles

Scallops

Lettuce

Papaya

And some crunchy sugary old timey dessert.

I 5200 HKD for 12 people. Around 55 USD per person. I still want to go to Florida one day and eat more seafood.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Simple Chinese meals for a beginner? I have a frying pan and a soup pot along with basic items. Are YT channels helpful? I'm in Flushing so I have access to asian ingredients but poor.

Meat is ok. I dislike fish/seafood. No food allergies. My last successful recipe is tomato & eggs.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
On that note, I'm in the market for a good recipe or tips for making congee. Lately I've been wanting to make a little less fried food.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

one part round grain rice eight to ten parts water boil the poo poo out of it

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

More elaborate ansvwer:

* Round grain, particularly standard Japanese eating rice, makes the best in my experience. More...unctuous. Smooth. Glossy. Tastier.

* Jasmine works. But it gets kinda "curdly" because the long grains break up.

* You can make a kind of dessert pudding with sticky rice and five parts water and a little sugar. Top it with some coconut milk with a few grains of salt in it. Particularly black sticky rice is awesome for this.

* Any other kind you can basically forget about.

* You can use a pressure cooker to save time. Ten-fifteen minutes on full speed, stir briskly and bam done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nickoten posted:

On that note, I'm in the market for a good recipe or tips for making congee. Lately I've been wanting to make a little less fried food.

and here's a thread for all your topping ideas

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030