Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Adds up considering the story on Lanny was that he had a 3 year deal where he was never used once as a favor to his brother.

He was going to be used at one point, they bought up the Gorgeous George name and had him bleach his hair and get huge on HGH, but for whatever reason he didn't work a single match with the gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot TNA had a mascot named Stomper

That thing looks high as gently caress.

DynamiteKidd posted:

He was going to be used at one point, they bought up the Gorgeous George name and had him bleach his hair and get huge on HGH, but for whatever reason he didn't work a single match with the gimmick

I remember reading that. You'd think they would have thought of another idea considering he was making something like 250K a year.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

All I remember about Stomper is he scared Don West into sounding like a normal human being.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Stomper was allegedly Hector Guerrero.

No joke.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Stomper looks high as gently caress

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

picture the big gold belt

now picture the letters "nWo" spraypainted in black on said belt

I'm talking about a custom belt that was made in the late 90s, it seems impossible to find any photos of it online.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Bear in mind that The Machine was not "loosely-based" or anything, he was a direct lift of the character from 8mm. In the movie, The Machine is a bodybuilder who drugged, raped, and murdered a girl for a snuff film. Why they thought this was an appropriate wrestling character is anybody's guess. My guess is that Russo was involved.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Bear in mind that The Machine was not "loosely-based" or anything, he was a direct lift of the character from 8mm. In the movie, The Machine is a bodybuilder who drugged, raped, and murdered a girl for a snuff film. Why they thought this was an appropriate wrestling character is anybody's guess. My guess is that Russo was involved.

Dunno.

The Machine wrestled for the only time on the 2/2/2000 Thunder.

Russo was relieved of booking scant weeks earlier in favor of Kevin Sullivan and wasn't given the book back for a few more months.

It could easily be something Russo had in motion or something that Sullivan did to appease execs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Well, The Brood only got off the ground because Russo heavily supported it for the month(?) long period that he had full creative control. It wouldn't surprise me if something he set in motion just before he was dismissed managed to make it to TV only to just die out there. Particularly since Emory Hail had been attached to Jimmy Hart and enjoyed a mini-push on Thunder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today is the 20th anniversary of WCW Monday Nitro. How are we celebrating this momentous occasion?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of WCW Monday Nitro. How are we celebrating this momentous occasion?

The 1st Nitro gets shown all the time so I was thinking of showing Nitro #2 tonight, followed by movies n stuff, then hopefully Nitro on Sunday and Tuesday. IT'S NITRO WEEK.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What about Thunder?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
It's a shame we miss so much undercard stuff by not watching Thunder, since of course the main event storylines aren't going to be advanced on the show none of the main eventers but DDP will appear on.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Are we gonna go watch these at the Nitro Grill?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The 1st Nitro gets shown all the time so I was thinking of showing Nitro #2 tonight, followed by movies n stuff, then hopefully Nitro on Sunday and Tuesday. IT'S NITRO WEEK.

I am extremely down for that

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Should show the last nitro instead

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Should show the last nitro instead

We're 2.5 years away from that!

I changed my mind though, I will be showing the first 3 Nitros starting at 7 PM.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

As somebody who's never seen 8mm and only saw the Machine's one match with DDP and thought he was just a dude in a generic mask with a generic name, what gave it away as a straight ripoff?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

As somebody who's never seen 8mm and only saw the Machine's one match with DDP and thought he was just a dude in a generic mask with a generic name, what gave it away as a straight ripoff?

The timing: The Machine debuted shortly after 8mm hit theaters. Both quickly disappeared after their debut.
The character: Both the film's antagonist and the wrestler were made out to be psychotic bodybuilders.
It's WCW: 'Nuff said.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I said this in the tube, but if you watch early Nitro when Mongo is commentating, try to keep track of the number of times you say "What the gently caress is Mongo talking about?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ChrisBTY posted:

I suppose it could be a coincidence. After all, a big job guy wearing a mask is far from unheard of, the name is fairly generic, and the masks of the two characters don't look exactly alike. But they were both big muscular dudes in black pants and a black mask, and the character debuted only months after the movie came out.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just realized that The Machine is the rarely-seen American counterpart to the storied tradition of ripping off movie characters for wrestling gimmicks (see Super Leather, Nightmare Freddy, Eddie Gilbert legit just wrestling as Michael Meyers, Jason the Terrible)

EDIT: Also if he was intended as a job guy I don't know if Jimmy Hart would have been his manager

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's not so rare in America. Magnum TA, the Juicer, Harvey Wippleman, Sting, Waylon Mercy...that's just off the top of my head. Although these gimmicks were a bit more subtle than a guy just straight up calling himself Leatherface.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
And I just remember Lord Humongous, which was such a well-traveled gimmick on the indies in the 90s that it was at one point given to Hale! Also Sid.

And Sting later ripped off a different movie, The Dark Knight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

DynamiteKidd posted:

And I just remember Lord Humongous, which was such a well-traveled gimmick on the indies in the 90s that it was at one point given to Hale! Also Sid.

And Sting later ripped off a different movie, The Dark Knight.
and The Mask. The one with Jim Carrey, not the one with Cher.

Sometimes you would see these gimmicks done in a really obvious way in Japan/Mexico or an indie fed where they could get away with it, then in a more subtle (subtle meaning "obvious but with the serial numbers filed off, so to speak") in a bigger company. For example, Barr wrestled as Beetlejuice in a territory before he was The Juicer in WCW.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I know the Juicer is supposed to be Beetlejuice but man it took me a second to remember that he wasn't some kind of early attempt at ripping off the Ultimate Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsprdYthBNk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's a glaring omission, of course, that the Road Warriors were ripoffs from The Road Warrior. But they weren't specifically Mad Max or Lord Humongous or whatever specific character. Weird that they went on to be popular enough to spawn numerous imitations themselves, although it's not hard to see why.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Arachnaman :wcw:

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a glaring omission, of course, that the Road Warriors were ripoffs from The Road Warrior. But they weren't specifically Mad Max or Lord Humongous or whatever specific character. Weird that they went on to be popular enough to spawn numerous imitations themselves, although it's not hard to see why.

The Road Warriors are totally supposed to be Wez.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DynamiteKidd posted:

I just realized that The Machine is the rarely-seen American counterpart to the storied tradition of ripping off movie characters for wrestling gimmicks (see Super Leather, Nightmare Freddy, Eddie Gilbert legit just wrestling as Michael Meyers, Jason the Terrible)

EDIT: Also if he was intended as a job guy I don't know if Jimmy Hart would have been his manager

Paul Burchill did a Captain Jack Sparrow ripoff.

Kevin Nash was Oz.

Z Gangsta and Zeus

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Leatherface in Memphis was something else. Lawler sold that poo poo like a demon.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I thought The Machine was just the most generic member of the team Giant Machine and Hulk Machine were on.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Ahem.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
There was also that weird feud between Jerry Lawler and Tom Savini, where Tom was trying to get revenge on Lawler being indirectly responsible for the death of Andy Kaufman. So he used his Hollywood magic to summon every slasher film icon to go after Jerry.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

DynamiteKidd posted:

It was always part of the territories back when everything was too carny to be given a C&D. Art Barr wrestled as Beetlejuice in the late 80's in Portland, coming out to the Banana Boat song, and basically did a barely changed version of it as "The Juicer" (which was probably also a rib about his lack of size).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkkg29Ev9k

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Two Beans posted:

There was also that weird feud between Jerry Lawler and Tom Savini, where Tom was trying to get revenge on Lawler being indirectly responsible for the death of Andy Kaufman. So he used his Hollywood magic to summon every slasher film icon to go after Jerry.

That sounds amazing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, is that where we got Ghostface Killer Beau James?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ayn rand hand job posted:

Kevin Nash was Oz.

Oz wasn't a ripoff per se. He was an cross-promotional tactic. A bad one.

And I mean Zeus was literally Zeus from the movie but yeah, basically the same principles are involved but there are no C&D's involved.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Did Art Barr as Beetlejuice ever wrestle Doink? That seems like a match that should have happened in some parallel universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Two Beans posted:

This sounds like the greatest thing I've never seen.