Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sombrerotron posted:

look at this human waste, pretending to take care of an elephant when it's just a robot

stop making everyone feel jealous/inadequate and adopt a real animal you worthless cretin

show some loving empathy

listen here, moneybags. not everybody can afford to buy a real snow leopard or whatever, and there's nothing wrong with the rydell model

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIQ0v63gLi4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

No, Mr Bond, I expect you to buy!

http://www.jwz.org/blog/2015/09/the-latest-supervillain-lair-for-sale-2/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
which minecraft mod is this

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

wayfinder posted:

which minecraft mod is this

reallife.wad

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shockingly affordable too

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

You know you're a goon when your first thought is, "It's nice, but I bet you're stuck with satellite internet. gently caress that."

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://soundcloud.com/maf464/maf-battle-squadron-rmx

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goatse vs kaiju

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-h-Mp9JGb0

about 5 minutes in. hope you like future sound of london

p. sure i saw something like that on the muppets once

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

most germans have this weird thing where they pronounce the name of the show like "the big bang theory", with just that one syllable stressed, it's super weird.

also, in german academia, it's super common that people pronounce "review" like "reff-you"

i have no idea what that is about either

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

wayfinder posted:

most germans have this weird thing where they pronounce the name of the show like "the big bang theory", with just that one syllable stressed, it's super weird.

also, in german academia, it's super common that people pronounce "review" like "reff-you"

i have no idea what that is about either

the german word "theory" is pronounced tay-ohr-ey, with the stress on the first syllable. also in german the letter v makes the english f sound. i dunno why but the german accent is notoriously strong and hard to erase when they speak english, i've known germans who've spoken english for fifty years or more and have an excellent technical grasp of the language, but they still sound basically like a bond villain

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

did you know german was hitler's native language? macht dich denken

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
ilmt (ich lach mich tot)

e:

sleepy gary posted:

did you know german was hitler's native language? macht dich denken
lmaa

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

big scary monsters posted:

i dunno why but the german accent is notoriously strong and hard to erase when they speak english, i've known germans who've spoken english for fifty years or more and have an excellent technical grasp of the language, but they still sound basically like a bond villain

Nah that's everybody. Speech (as a physical action) gets super hard wired into your brain when you're young and if you learn a language later in life you never really unlearn all the physical-speech stuff so you end up with an accent forever

Talk to anyone who emigrated as even a teenager but is now old, they'll still have a solid accent after living the vast majority of their life speaking another language

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

so sick of these liechtensteincentric map projections

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

heh heheh heh heheheh buttmunch

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N2U-a3skUY

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

the german word "theory" is pronounced tay-ohr-ey, with the stress on the first syllable. also in german the letter v makes the english f sound. i dunno why but the german accent is notoriously strong and hard to erase when they speak english, i've known germans who've spoken english for fifty years or more and have an excellent technical grasp of the language, but they still sound basically like a bond villain

every time they interview toto wolff i know i know i know the guy speaks great english and he picks his words carefully and is able to make subtle points and pick the tone of his words carefully and if i read a transcript of it after the fact that would be obvious but when i listen to it he just sounds like a terminator

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jV6gPTpv70

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

me irl when i have a burg

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

the german word "theory" is pronounced tay-ohr-ey, with the stress on the first syllable. also in german the letter v makes the english f sound.
that's not really true, it's technically /v/ just like in english and differentiated from /f/, but i guess the actual pronunciation may commonly be less salient than in english

in the case of "review" though, if "rev" is treated as the first syllable and if it's stressed (as usual in germanic words, even if "review" isn't one), it makes sense that it'd be pronounced [ref] as - to my knowledge - in german, all ordinarily voiced plosives and fricatives become unvoiced at the end of a syllable

also i imagine many germans, like dutchmen, are lazy with their vocalisation, which results in voiced and unvoiced consonants being swapped

:spergin:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

thanks yelp but that's not really what i'm looking for right now

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

atomicthumbs posted:

thanks yelp but that's not really what i'm looking for right now

*bookmarks for later*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

surebet posted:

friday night super early saturday morning motherfuckers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JgnMJzCtQ

:britain:

we should have these things flying off the queen elizabeth class, probably has a better payload capacity than the f35b too

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Siljmonster posted:

and we need to live in a world where all expressions, explanations, and creations boil down to two words uttered in surprise and disbelief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

the german word "theory" is pronounced tay-ohr-ey, with the stress on the first syllable.

No, that's wrong. It's /te.oˈʁiː/ (roughly: Tay-oh-REE), with the last syllable stressed. https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3ADe-at-Theorie.ogg

also in german the letter v makes the english f sound.

Sombrerotron posted:

that's not really true, it's technically /v/ just like in english and differentiated from /f/, but i guess the actual pronunciation may commonly be less salient than in english

There are two separate ways v is pronounced in German; like the English f (mostly in Germanic-sourced words like Vater, Vogel, Vier), and like the English v (mostly in Latin-sourced words like Vase, Virus, Gravitation).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

hell yes Rob Hubbard :yosbutt:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pumpy Dumper posted:

me irl when i have a burg

same but also every guy every weekend in the philly area

Adbot