Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hadaka Apron posted:

What's the highest ability score you've ever seen, both with and without the military advice modifier?

In my Latin Empire game, I saw a king of Hungary with 38 Diplomacy, and this was despite being shy. I also saw someone with 53 Martial with advice modifier.

I once had a demon baby genius brave strong guy with 40 martial. With him I went from duke to emperor AND caliph in 4 or 5 decades.

Ive started my first nomad game yesterday and Im having a blast, although it seems it need some balance yet, it seems a bit too easy. Ive started as a vassal Khan and just went conquering the hell out of those tiny buddist realms to the south, while using my money and prestige to get more and more armies. By the time the khagan dies, I was in my second ruler with a lot more land and 2x the army of the Khagan, so that's probably why Ive inherited it (I still dont really understand how nodam succession works). Now Im rampaging through the muslins and indus in the area and nobody seems to be able to stop my 6K standing army.

Also, I had a cool event about a "wolf child" in the forest, which gave me the option to adopt him. I dont know if its knew, but I never saw it before. The kid started pretty lackluster, but by the time he inherited my titles, he had all stats above 10 and 28 loving martial. His child also got the "wolf blood", so it seems like I can keep this going for a while.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is there an ironman compatible mod that makes handing out titles easier? I just finished a mongol empire game where finding individual counties to hand to specific people was a nightmare.

I can't think of a way to streamline that sort of thing through mods that without using a decision or an event (which means it won't be ironman-compatible for achievements/etc.)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is there an ironman compatible mod that makes handing out titles easier? I just finished a mongol empire game where finding individual counties to hand to specific people was a nightmare.
No. Anything that would do so would have to add new decisions or events, which change the checksum. I remember an old mod long ago (before ironman was even a thing) that let you use your councilors to mark counties that you didn't want to hand out, and then another decision automatically hands out the rest.

Also - I did not know getting your health up high enough made you immortal. Would suck to get incapable though. Infinite regency if you overdid your health pumping.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 4, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If you're above your demesne limit one of your vassals will offer to help you distribute the titles before long.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

lurksion posted:

Also - I did not know getting your health up high enough made you immortal. Would suck to get incapable though. Infinite regency if you overdid your health pumping.

You're not actually immortal*, but a character with a health score above ten or so can live for a very, very long time. And yes, getting incapable in that situation sucks. I don' think a high health score even makes it less likely, so high health characters are almost guaranteed to produce decades of regency.

*If you want to be Actually Immortal, you have to mod that in :v:

(Actually Immortal characters aren't immune to incapability either, or madness, or great pox, any of the other permanent health traits characters will inevitable pick up if they live long enough.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

sheep-dodger posted:

In addition to what has been said already, very focused armies also have access to fewer tactics in combat, and if they roll a good one all the troops benefit instead of only part, which is another reason they punch above their weight class.
Oh, sure, I know the reasons. It's still striking to see that huge disparity in casualties.

Light cavalry really are quite good since the changes. They have the highest effectiveness in skirmish (as determined by multiplying attack and defense values) of any troop save camel cavalry, and right off the bat they can jump into battle with the harass tactic, quadrupling the light cavalry attack. When it finally gets around to melee, they can get the raid tactic, with +240% to light cavalry attack, bringing them up to the base level of knights.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, sure, I know the reasons. It's still striking to see that huge disparity in casualties.

Light cavalry really are quite good since the changes. They have the highest effectiveness in skirmish (as determined by multiplying attack and defense values) of any troop save camel cavalry, and right off the bat they can jump into battle with the harass tactic, quadrupling the light cavalry attack. When it finally gets around to melee, they can get the raid tactic, with +240% to light cavalry attack, bringing them up to the base level of knights.
It's the camels that did the murdering (50% more skirmish stats, 100% more melee stats than LC). Light Cav aren't as great as they used to be, having been nerfed multiple times since their heyday, and once more in 2.4.

lurksion posted:

...seriously nerfed light cavalry (33% damage decrease in melee, 50% cost increase) in some patch I'm not aware of (and 25% reduction in skirmish damage this patch!)...

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Horse Lords is on sale for $3.74:

http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4704/Crusader-Kings-II-Horse-Lords/

I just purchased this and it activated fine on my Steam account. This website also has some of the other DLCs for sale (I picked up the Republic, finally, too).

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Tehan posted:

If you're above your demesne limit one of your vassals will offer to help you distribute the titles before long.

Isn't that really sketchy, though, and they'll gladly hand out any non-capital county at random until you're at your limit?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

jerman999 posted:

I just purchased this and it activated fine on my Steam account. This website also has some of the other DLCs for sale (I picked up the Republic, finally, too).
Thanks, picked that up. Now to once again, restart my Genghis Khan achievement run that I've gotten bored of in 3 successive patches.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 4, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Isn't that really sketchy, though, and they'll gladly hand out any non-capital county at random until you're at your limit?

Dunno, never tried it.

lurksion posted:

It's the camels that did the murdering (50% more skirmish stats, 100% more melee stats than LC). Light Cav aren't as great as they used to be, having been nerfed multiple times since their heyday, and once more in 2.4.

Between the capital improvements and the religion bonus, Tengri nomad light horsemen with a maxed-out capital are still the hardest hitters in the game, I believe.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

jerman999 posted:

Thanks, my CK2 is expansion-complete once again now! I love Paradox games but the nickel-and-diming they do for DLC is kinda terrible, luckily there's often sales like this.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tehan posted:

Between the capital improvements and the religion bonus, Tengri nomad light horsemen with a maxed-out capital are still the hardest hitters in the game, I believe.
I don't think that's the case. Combat modifiers are basically
base stat * (1 + sum of all unit modifiers and tactics bonus) * (1 + commander trait bonus + counter tactic bonus)

So for light cav to beat camel cav, they need an additional 200% bonus from tech/capital/culture/religion for 2*(1 + X + 3) > 3*(1 + 3) to be true.

:spergin:

I still love LC even though they aren't the best anymore though. They are the only retinue that is consistently strong in skirmish and melee, so they are very consistent. And their ability to absolutely murder retreating armies is unmatched and underrated I think.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 2, 2018

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

How hard would it be to replace all instances of the pope with a space pope, give him an even more awesome hat, and tweak the various game events / notifications to better reflect his galactic holiness?

I think I have the worst mod ideas.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

space kobold posted:

How hard would it be to replace all instances of the pope with a space pope, give him an even more awesome hat, and tweak the various game events / notifications to better reflect his galactic holiness?

I think I have the worst mod ideas.

Make it so you have some events that lead up to this as a lunatic character, and we all win

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wish there was a religion option for heliocentric scholars

I swear there was one

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

jerman999 posted:

Thanks for this - you can get the CK2 Complete collection (All DLC through May 2014), and then manually add the remaining 3 'major' DLCs for about $50. Time to see what non-vanilla CK2 is like :pervert:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
My current character is on a crusade and his heir's education prompt popped up. Okay, I thought. My character has pretty great stats/characteristics, so I'll just keep him at home.

Does he wait to educate his kid till he gets home from murdering heathens?

No, gently caress that.

He just brings his 6 year old to the fuckin' siege of Acre.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 5, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tendai posted:

He just brings his 6 year old to the fuckin' siege of Acre.

I once had a character go on crusade, who evidently decided to bring his wife along because they had a child while on crusade. The kid was born during a siege of Jerusalem, as I recall.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

lurksion posted:

So for light cav to beat camel cav, they need an additional 200% bonus from tech/capital/culture/religion for 2*(1 + X + 3) > 3*(1 + 3) to be true.

Which they don't have, I went digging in the files and light cav get a total of +0.69 offensive, +0.65 defensive from a maxed capital and Tengriism, where camel cav get +0.3 offensive, +0.8 defensive from the capital. And the tech bonuses are equal. I must have been remembering them pre-nerf.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

You're not actually immortal*, but a character with a health score above ten or so can live for a very, very long time. And yes, getting incapable in that situation sucks. I don' think a high health score even makes it less likely, so high health characters are almost guaranteed to produce decades of regency.

*If you want to be Actually Immortal, you have to mod that in :v:

(Actually Immortal characters aren't immune to incapability either, or madness, or great pox, any of the other permanent health traits characters will inevitable pick up if they live long enough.)

I once made a ridiculous leper king who was de-facto immortal in the unmodded character designer. Ended up living about 350 years before being assassinated because everyone hated him.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I think it focuses on recently-acquired ones first, but it is extremely sketchy and the provinces mostly go to the councilor and his family. It's honestly worse than taking the time to dole them out yourself, because you just have to get them back by hook or by crook from Uppity Lord Fucknut the Fortunate.

On the plus side, if you're doing a vassal game and get onto the council, you can fire the event at your liege, who will usually accept, and you can then do the very same thing.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GSD posted:

I once had a character go on crusade, who evidently decided to bring his wife along because they had a child while on crusade. The kid was born during a siege of Jerusalem, as I recall.
No wonder my spouses all start hating me after awhile :saddowns:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

GSD posted:

In real life some wives followed their husbands (or just flat out refused to be left behind) when they went crusading.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How can I make another character gain prestige?

Nomad succession is trickier than I though. I want my awesome son to inherit, but my heir is my haf-brother, cause he is old and thus have more prestige. So I gave a bunch of titles to said son, hoping he could somehow squeeze some prestige out of then. Instead he got a rebellion, lost his duchy and ended up with negative prestige and even further down the line (now my two other sons are also ahead of him).

Im using him as commander in all my battles, but the prestige gained is too low. Other than that, I have no idea what can I do to make him gain prestige.

Also, there seems to be a bug or something with the hunter event chain for nomads. I get the dog event and then the first event about the white bear and then nothing else.

EDIT: Dumb kind also converted to buddhism. I guess landing him was really the worst idea. But I still kind confused on what Im supposed to do with titles as a nomad.

And about religion: what happens if I convert to something? Can I still be nomad as a muslin or christian?

And finally: anyone else experienced a very significant performance drop after the last patch and Horse Lords?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 5, 2015

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can I make another character gain prestige?
That's what making him a mercenary is for basically.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yes, you can be any religion and remain a nomad. The best way to make your preferred son gain prestige is to send him off as a mercenary, a couple years of that and he should surpass even the oldest members of your family (minus yourself) provided no one else in your family has been sent off as a mercenary too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What is there to do in peacetime? I've been playing as Apulia, and having a great ol' time becoming the kingdom of Sicily, but now that I've taken the island and all the minor provinces around me, I can't find an angle on any other expansion areas. My chancellor isn't turning up any options in Sardinia or Dubrovnik, and while I do have a casus beli for fighting the pope, I'm not nearly powerful enough to stand up to him. Am I just stuck accumulating money and buying province upgrades and bribing vassals?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Micromanage your vassals. Make sure every single vassal's heir is being educated by somebody Content (and make sure to switch any good ones to a tutor with the proper level 4 education trait right before their 16th birthday; if you want a good councilor or a kickass commander.)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Can somebody explain how elective gavelkind works? Why is everybody unanimously in favour of some landless courtier who doesn't even live in our country?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

Can somebody explain how elective gavelkind works? Why is everybody unanimously in favour of some landless courtier who doesn't even live in our country?

Because elective gavelkind is the "gently caress you" of succession laws.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Match made in Heaven.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

jerman999 posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'd been waiting for a sale to catch up on some of the DLC.
Picked up Horse Lords (and content pack), Way of Life, Sons of Abraham, and Charlemagne for ~£9

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

What is there to do in peacetime? I've been playing as Apulia, and having a great ol' time becoming the kingdom of Sicily, but now that I've taken the island and all the minor provinces around me, I can't find an angle on any other expansion areas. My chancellor isn't turning up any options in Sardinia or Dubrovnik, and while I do have a casus beli for fighting the pope, I'm not nearly powerful enough to stand up to him. Am I just stuck accumulating money and buying province upgrades and bribing vassals?

Go for Tunis.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

verbal enema posted:

I wish there was a religion option for heliocentric scholars

I swear there was one
What do you mean by 'a religion option,' exactly?

If you're buddhist or zunist, it doesn't tick off the religious authorities, if that's what you mean.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's funnier when you assume it's just goons not realizing their characters are unfaithful.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

jerman999 posted:

Yet another guy thanking you for this.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Strudel Man posted:

What do you mean by 'a religion option,' exactly?

If you're buddhist or zunist, it doesn't tick off the religious authorities, if that's what you mean.

i was at work when i posted that. I swear when I first started CK2 there was an option to become a Heliocentric sorta like a Catholic heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently no one likes my inbred little brother who's my heir, my plot to kill him got up to 970% :stare:

She was a hard-rear end in general, Eleanor of Aquitaine generally took no poo poo.

• Locked thread