Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I remember a lot of people in the last threads making sage predictions that WoD was going to be amazing and super-popular.

Saxophone posted:

I can't help but think WoW is doing a fine job of turning people off of the genre. Here's lookin at you, year and a half til xpack.

Nope, they want Legion out early 2016. If you think WoD was rushed and poo poo, wait until you play the expansion that's getting half the dev time and twice the announced features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's okay all the lost WoW subscribers just moved over to Final Fantasy XIV.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't even think FFXIV has as many player accounts as WoW has dropped this expansion alone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Saxophone posted:

I can't help but think WoW is doing a fine job of turning people off of the genre. Here's lookin at you, year and a half til xpack.

I dunno I think the genre is fairly good at turning people off to the genre actually.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

FFXIV went 4 steps back from wow in terms of UI customization. Not letting you use addons to track buffs and debuffs easily is a pain in the rear end. Also you can apparently get banned or suspended if you call out someone who's getting carried if you use the information from a Parser.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deki posted:

I don't even think FFXIV has as many player accounts as WoW has dropped this expansion alone.

Nah.

Its about the same

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah.

Its about the same

Wod's only lost about 600k subs?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Deki posted:

Nope, they want Legion out early 2016. If you think WoD was rushed and poo poo, wait until you play the expansion that's getting half the dev time and twice the announced features.

I don't know how anyone can be excited for Legion, personally, for those exact reasons. Legion is going to be a disappointing shitshow of an expansion even more thin on content than WoD, and I think Blizzard is in full-on "milk it for everything while you still can" mode and will try to sell it at full price, even after just burning their playerbase with a half-assed expansion at greater-than-full price.

ObOnTopic: But it will still be better than Wildstar.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

biznatchio posted:

I don't know how anyone can be excited for Legion, personally, for those exact reasons. Legion is going to be a disappointing shitshow of an expansion even more thin on content than WoD, and I think Blizzard is in full-on "milk it for everything while you still can" mode and will try to sell it at full price, even after just burning their playerbase with a half-assed expansion at greater-than-full price.

ObOnTopic: But it will still be better than most other mmos out there.
Ftfy

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I got the urge to reinstall WoW last week and withing about 15 minutes I remembered why I quit in 2010.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Deki posted:

And it never will

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To be fair, Legion is only going to take half the dev time of WoD because a large chunk of WoD dev time was eaten up getting all the Titans guys back on WoW development because I guess the mythic man month isn't popular reading at Blizzard.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

AlmightyBob posted:

I got the urge to reinstall WoW last week and withing about 15 minutes I remembered why I quit in 2010.

for the poo poo it rightfully gets I really appreciated ffxiv's strict content gating when I went back to wow for a few weeks last year. everything felt so disconnected and floaty and I couldn't even bread crumb if I tried.

in a perfect world all content would be available to you at the appropriate level, but it would be designed around a single linear experience you could easily follow along with if you wanted to.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tarranon posted:

for the poo poo it rightfully gets I really appreciated ffxiv's strict content gating when I went back to wow for a few weeks last year. everything felt so disconnected and floaty and I couldn't even bread crumb if I tried.

in a perfect world all content would be available to you at the appropriate level, but it would be designed around a single linear experience you could easily follow along with if you wanted to.

I'd much rather have the way wow did it than the way ffxiv did it.

One requires a several days long grind through story quest after story quest, with the hopes that pubs won't suck and your queues won't be too long.

One requires google, or just a few clicks to the wow subforum on this very site.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I think the genre is fairly good at turning people off to the genre actually.

Every MMO I try turns me off faster than the last one. The last two I tried took me longer to download than I actually played them.
I really like the idea of MMOs, but the genre is just pure bullshit all around.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tarranon posted:

Yes I prefer being forced through literal last expansions content as a gating mechanism to the expansion I bought too. Great idea!

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Byolante posted:

Yes I prefer being forced through literal last expansions content as a gating mechanism to the expansion I bought too. Great idea!

But my immersion

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Baller Time posted:

Every MMO I try turns me off faster than the last one. The last two I tried took me longer to download than I actually played them.
I really like the idea of MMOs, but the genre is just pure bullshit all around.

I play MMOs because they're really great for listening to podcasts and lectures. For some reason listening to a lecture gets easier when you've got some 3D space filled with people to associate it with, like an auditorium. Maybe it's similiar to mnemonic strategies where you associate ideas with physical locations. Might be worth a study, maybe someone did already conduct one, dunno.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Byolante posted:

Look man, you NEED to help Minfilia reconnect with her adoptive catgirl mother and find her necklace to fully appreciate the new expansion.

I'm just now getting to the Heavensward crap. Almost. The Steps of Faith was amazingly boring for a raid where you stop the advance of a giant dragon down a bridge. Now I gotta help Tataru become an Arcanist and :suicide:

...I keep playing because gold saucer and chocobo racing, before anyone asks. Also the never ending quest to be a pretty princess, thus progressing to get to new dungeons for new glamours.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anoia posted:

Look man, you NEED to help Minfilia reconnect with her adoptive catgirl mother and find her necklace to fully appreciate the new expansion.

I'm just now getting to the Heavensward crap. Almost. The Steps of Faith was amazingly boring for a raid where you stop the advance of a giant dragon down a bridge. Now I gotta help Tataru become an Arcanist and :suicide:

...I keep playing because gold saucer and chocobo racing, before anyone asks. Also the never ending quest to be a pretty princess, thus progressing to get to new dungeons for new glamours.

Steps used to be quite a bit more difficult. You'd usually only kill him between the last dragonkiller and the final gate.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Well gently caress, I was hoping to use this open beta to see if endgame poo poo is fun, but I can't use the character boost npc because I'm not a subscriber. Good test, dev team.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Anoia posted:

But if you didn't help tataru become an arcanist how would you know that the new content is in the new zone. This isn't something you could just work out on your own.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I hope this turns into another 8 pages of FFXIV gating discussion!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Byolante posted:

gently caress doing quests to level! I just want to grind the same mobs over and over while watching netflix so I can get to end game and idle in town.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

gently caress doing quests to level! I just want to grind the same mobs over and over while watching netflix so I can get to end game and idle in town.

Well they did call it Idyllshire after all.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Yes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Iron Tusk posted:

Well they did call it Idyllshire after all.

Indeed.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Byolante posted:

Another great idea is reading what I actually wrote

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Byolante posted:

I have to play my game to play my game, this angers me.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

FFXIV defense squad assemble.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
nerds clenching their butt cheeks in annoyance at the most milquetoast statement it is possible to craft about a genre of lovely video games and then ascribing opinions to it

close this gay thread until something actually funny happens again in wild star

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I thought Wildstar was the funny thing that happens in Wildstar.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I thought Wildstar was the funny thing that happens in Wildstar.

There's nothing funny about it. It's pretty horrifying actually.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kessel posted:

FFXIV defense squad assemble.

MMO Haters club assemble.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tarranon posted:

nerds clenching their butt cheeks in annoyance at the most milquetoast statement it is possible to craft about a genre of lovely video games and then ascribing opinions to it

close this gay thread until something actually funny happens again in wild star

nice deflection

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Sept 29th the wildstar servers crash from the incredible load of more than three people.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Wildstar is a lot like Doobie. Goond gave it a ton of money and didn't get what they were promised.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

These are all the quests you have to do post 50 in order to access the expansion. Most of these quests have multiple parts and take you across different zones.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

That's fairly reasonable when you consider the original method of keying for raids in wildstar. The plot and characters in FFXXIV are as rich as wildstar's raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not :shrug:

• Locked thread