Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wow, Taskmaster is over already? Time to try out Dave's online service, I missed a couple. Excellent show, Alex Horne deserves a lot of credit, partly for conceiving and planning it, partly for each off-handed sarcastic comment. No way they won't recommission it, seems like it has to be a good return on the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup changes, if only for matters of practicality. Really hope Tim Key stays, he doesn't get the TV work he should.

On demand on Sky they only ever had the previous weeks episode on. Annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Theres a uktv app "uktv play" that has dave. Maybe theyre up on there a bit longer.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Daedo posted:

Despite doing quite well ratings wise, certainly better than some of the poo poo ITV have put on on a Saturday night, they cancelled Fool Us.

The CW in America picked up the rights to air the show last summer, and it did so well for them that THEY renewed the show, bringing back Jonathan Ross, but it's all filmed in Las Vegas now. Already been renewed for another season next summer too.

Producers probably didn't like how no one could fool them*. One great bit was Penn telling this guy how he did his trick and the guy going 'nope' and then Penn trying not to murder him for lying.

*ALL TRICKS ARE THE SAME

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Every act had to go through the trick with the producers first and tell them how it was done, to stop them from doing that, though a couple of them did quibble about the exact technical terms that Penn used.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Time to try out Dave's online service,
Play advert. Play advert. Fall over at start of programme.
Give up and watch something on Netflix or Iplayer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Give up and watch something on Netflix or Iplayer.

Ah, the 4oD experience.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ah, the 4oD experience.

4oD, at least you can trick, by turning off adblock until show starts, then turning it back on. It skips the rest of the ads through the show.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Padje posted:

Producers probably didn't like how no one could fool them*. One great bit was Penn telling this guy how he did his trick and the guy going 'nope' and then Penn trying not to murder him for lying.

*ALL TRICKS ARE THE SAME

Yeah I remember one guy getting by on a technicality when they had pretty much said how he done his truck but got one part wrong. He seemed like quite a smug prick too.

The American one is quite fun, but it does seem like they have someone in every episode who is able to fool them now. Which doesn't seem quite as grand a prize when they're not getting flown halfway across the world.

Sometimes they have people on who are friends of Penn and Teller, and they're still trying to fool them, but obviously have no chance. Those people are very entertaining to watch however, having spent years/decades doing magic.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Just seen on Sky that Taskmaster is being repeated. So record it guys

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

House of Fools got canned

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ratjaculation posted:

House of Fools got canned

Not suprised it was awful, I think Vic and Bob just ran out of ideas a few years ago

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It was pretty crap show. Felt like the sort of thing that would have been big in the mid-90s. But that's Vic and Bob in general I guess.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was a bit like Vic & Bob do Mrs Brown's Boys.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

bring back shooting stars circa 2002

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Horizon: Which Universe Are We In? (and why can't I be in one that used a decent narrator?) is about quantum mechanics and is very interesting and, as with everything quantum related, is completely mental.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Poor Alvin not knowing what shape to make a pitta bread, and blatantly scouting out everyone else's tables to try and work it out.

And Nadiya won a technical which is nice. And star baker. :)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 3, 2015

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Ratjaculation posted:

I would pay good money to have that whole Shooting Stars era erased from history save for a Nodding Bob Mortimer that repeats "I can't think of a footballer Ulrika hasn't had" until the end of time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ratjaculation posted:

I was a fan of the last shooting stars series and don't really understand why it wasn't renewed. It had a pretty good reception didn't it?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Why do they have guests like Judy Murray on Would I Lie to You? I don't think she said more than ten words on yesterday's episode.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Would I Lie To You? really looks like the kind of panel show that used to be on BBC2 during the day. It's a weird thing to see on prime time.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Finally got an air date for my episode of Eggheads.

Monday it is!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
The last episode of GBBO really annoyed me. These days doing x-free baking is a lot easier than it used to be and quite frankly the substitutions they did (only one per-bake) were very straight forward. So why did they all suck? Also, why did all of their dairy free ice creams have to be coconut based? And why fat free roll? Veg suet is non-dairy! I would at least of hoped some of them would have busted out some xanthan or something, I strongly suspect a couple from last year's would've.

Also the complaining about grape and peanut as a flavour combination was infuriating too. Like the idea that something that what 100 million people? eat everyday is so weird and out of left field was enervating. Btw I would've done a white sesame based ice cream w. melon flavoured melon pan roll (cracks are on purpose!) or charred caramelized pineapple ice with Spongebob house roll before I am accused of being an ivory tower icecreamist.

Edit: Alvin 4EVA

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 5, 2015

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Also the complaining about grape and peanut as a flavour combination was infuriating too.

Sounds like a weird combo to me too tbh

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Americans like it but then again Americans are disgusting pigs.

Personally, I'm glad I don't have any food allergies/weird self-imposed dietary restrictions because they all looked complicated and bad.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Lemon posted:

Why do they have guests like Judy Murray on Would I Lie to You? I don't think she said more than ten words on yesterday's episode.

They edit down the show to 30 mins - the first and last rounds they all get at least 1 go at a lie/truth each, but each week they only show 2 or 3 per round. I would guess her turns were just not entertaining (they showed 2 of the other guy on Lee Mack's team). Most weeks there is one person on the side that doesn't take part in the mystery guest round that doesn't get their turns aired.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al2001 posted:

Sounds like a weird combo to me too tbh
I think of it as being a quintessitially American thing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Alvin didn't know what shape a pitta bread was supposed to be. His efforts looked closer to naan.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It was nice seeing Trevor Noah on WILTY though, as it will probably be his last appearance on British television.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Nadiya 4EVA, bless her and her amazing eyebrows. Also, warming to Paul the Contestant after he nearly made Mel and Sue have fits over his marzipan sunbathing ladies, those tiny boobs were hilarious.

Free-from week was not a huge success though, I agree. Especially that...thing that Ugne made for the final round. It looked mouldy. You know you've hosed up when not even the person who draws the lovely illustrations of the cakes can make it look good.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

They edit down the show to 30 mins - the first and last rounds they all get at least 1 go at a lie/truth each, but each week they only show 2 or 3 per round. I would guess her turns were just not entertaining (they showed 2 of the other guy on Lee Mack's team). Most weeks there is one person on the side that doesn't take part in the mystery guest round that doesn't get their turns aired.

Yeah, I know they edit down the shows. I meant more why did they book her in the first place, were they surprised that she wasn't entertaining enough to make the cut?

Edit: At least when other people don't get their turns aired they chip in with something else funny, but occasionally they just book a complete non entity and it seems a waste. Nick Grimshaw was another example

Lemon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2015

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Less than 30 minutes to Strictly, albeit the boring opening episode.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
What makes the opening episode more boring than the others?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Milotic posted:

Less than 30 minutes to Strictly, albeit the boring opening episode.

That red carpet party and the opening dance number were very energetic. I've not seen that many people celebrating at a train station since all those refugees arrived in Germany earlier this morning.

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody

Angrymog posted:

I think of it as being a quintessitially American thing.

It is, but pairing it with chocolate cake? That would make anyone gag. Peanut butter and grape jelly is for fake white bread only.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

cloudchamber posted:

What makes the opening episode more boring than the others?

There's no dancing in it!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

PriorMarcus posted:

That red carpet party and the opening dance number were very energetic. I've not seen that many people celebrating at a train station since all those refugees arrived in Germany earlier this morning.

Darcy Bussell in the 'trolley dolly' outfit certainly made me thoughtful. It was a good opening number.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Milotic posted:

Darcy Bussell in the 'trolley dolly' outfit certainly made me thoughtful. It was a good opening number.

This new Russian dancer is making me thoughtful. Jesus wept!

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Anton might make it past Blackpool this time around!

And hello Jeanette.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

The last episode of GBBO really annoyed me. These days doing x-free baking is a lot easier than it used to be and quite frankly the substitutions they did (only one per-bake) were very straight forward. So why did they all suck? Also, why did all of their dairy free ice creams have to be coconut based? And why fat free roll? Veg suet is non-dairy! I would at least of hoped some of them would have busted out some xanthan or something, I strongly suspect a couple from last year's would've.

Also the complaining about grape and peanut as a flavour combination was infuriating too. Like the idea that something that what 100 million people? eat everyday is so weird and out of left field was enervating. Btw I would've done a white sesame based ice cream w. melon flavoured melon pan roll (cracks are on purpose!) or charred caramelized pineapple ice with Spongebob house roll before I am accused of being an ivory tower icecreamist.

Honestly, for dairy-free ice cream, I prefer coconut milk to soy milk and almond milk, which is why I wasn't surprised many of the contestants chose it as their alternate to dairy. I'm guessing they didn't use xanthan gum since it has a reputation of being a "filler" in regular dairy ice cream. I don't recall the cake needing to be fat-free besides the lack of butter (I'm pretty sure they used whole eggs?) but I wasn't paying that close attention so maybe I missed it.

I was more annoyed about how many people used agave for their sugar substitute instead of honey, sorghum or maple syrup and playing with those flavor profiles. I know one guy put maple syrup in the frosting and one had a honey-based cake, but I think too many of the contestants simply did a straight sugar substitute on a random recipe instead of creating recipes that highlighted the different types of sweetness/flavors these alternatives can achieve.

I still love this show, and was thrilled when Ian (I think) revealed that he hasn't even been awarded top male baker in his village - British villages have their own little bake-offs with top bakers? Adorable. (I'm guessing it's similar to US State Fairs, where pies/cakes are awarded, but it's cuter because it's British.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
What was the point of using alternatives to sugar in that episode? I understand them doing dairy free or gluten free stuff because people have intolerances, but honey and syrup are literally just sugar in a different form :confused: