Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Miss Wallace posted:

Their rapping on some Japanese show was the best. Just so bizarre.

I have a few questions about that, 1. How did they even get on that? and 2. Was that Richard Kiel in the background, and if so, then how the hell did HE get on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Junior Jr. posted:

I have a few questions about that, 1. How did they even get on that? and 2. Was that Richard Kiel in the background, and if so, then how the hell did HE get on that?

The video labels it as a bench press demo, which they do at the beginning of the video before they rap. Richard Kiel is indeed there, saying "think big" out of time with the other two during the song, LOL. The whole thing was to promote Think Big, one of their other movies, which Richard Kiel was in. I have no idea how they landed the gig, and it's clear they don't understand what's going on beyond some cues, which is pretty great. Richard Kiel just keeps pretending to beat people up or crush their heads.

The whole video is here if you're interested (the lyrics are truly terrible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E3Wq5CIFwY

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Aw, thanks! It's all good now. And honestly guys, Noah is a lot better than he was and we get along fine. I can't speak for his work, but at least on a personal level, he seems in a much better place. His girlfriend April is also a super nice person and she's always been great to me.

This is good to hear :) I hope he continues to find stability in his life.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
There's a new Previously Recorded of Rocket League from RLM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QN39i6R5Y

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 4, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Junior Jr. posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10,how much do they miss the point of the game?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

VolticSurge posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10,how much do they miss the point of the game?

This is the first line of the video description:

PreRec posted:

Jack and Rich play Rocket League, which is possibly the most funnest game ever.

So, probably a 1.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TheMaestroso posted:

This is the first line of the video description:

So, probably a 1.

Oh,OK. Alien:Isloation is a 12,by the way.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Miss Wallace posted:

The video labels it as a bench press demo, which they do at the beginning of the video before they rap. Richard Kiel is indeed there, saying "think big" out of time with the other two during the song, LOL. The whole thing was to promote Think Big, one of their other movies, which Richard Kiel was in. I have no idea how they landed the gig, and it's clear they don't understand what's going on beyond some cues, which is pretty great. Richard Kiel just keeps pretending to beat people up or crush their heads.

The whole video is here if you're interested (the lyrics are truly terrible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E3Wq5CIFwY

Oh man, that is awesome. I recently saw Think Big with my buddy when we decided to kill our brains and watch all of the Paul Bros films, it's cool to see that they tried to promote it in Japan for...reasons?

Think Big is actually probably my favorite, if only for the horrifying ending that is just a tonal 180 that is played for a cheap laugh. It has a lot of elements there for being an actual good lighthearted summer flick, but it just outright weird.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The final part of SF Debris' three part look at how Transformers began has the posted on his Youtube channel: Rolling Out the Transformers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Junior Jr. posted:

Its really going to suck to hear them talk about MGSV because I can just see Jack making GBS threads on it because god forbid a game have dialogue and cut scenes and a story.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its really going to suck to hear them talk about MGSV because I can just see Jack making GBS threads on it because god forbid a game have dialogue and cut scenes and a story.

TPP isn't MGS4 - it's got the opposite proportions of story to gameplay. I would expect complaining about the amount of time spent moving between missions/helicopter time. But I honestly have no idea what to expect from them on this game. It's completely different from everything else I've seen them review.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Which one can't fathom playing games because he's such a workoholic?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Tae posted:

Which one can't fathom playing games because he's such a workoholic?

Stoklasa, reportedly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
According to my Youtube feed, it took the bots less than eleven minutes to take down Todd's latest video.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The new Sonichu review is up. I'm just posting it here because I want you guys to just skip to the 18 minute mark.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

The new Sonichu review is up. I'm just posting it here because I want you guys to just skip to the 18 minute mark.

EDIT: :sympathy: Great video man.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 6, 2015

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

DStecks posted:

Thank you for being so honest and so courageous as to share this stuff with us. As infuriating and hilarious as parts of Sonichu and Chris can be, the whole saga is absolutely miserable, and in your more recent videos you've been communicating that tragedy pretty well. I can't say I'm not looking forward to your last Sonichu video, but I'm also looking forward to what you do next.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Thanks for the personal insight, Dstecks :) I too have done some things in my life that I wasn't proud of, in terms of being unkind to other people, and I still regret it. Considering I still remember moments where people were particularly unkind to me, and feel that some of them had a lasting impact on my psyche, I've got no doubt that the recipients of my unkindness remember it too. It's easy to try and bury it all and dismiss it, and it took real bravery for you to own up to it.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

OldMemes posted:

I picked up So Bad, It's Good 2: Electric Bookaloo for holiday reading, and rather enjoyed it. The writer seems more confident this time, and there's a good vairety of obscure material in there. Lupa, did you write the Baywatch Nights entry, or just the Baywatch one? The formatting confused me a bit there. I was suprised to learn that Baywatch Nights ran AT THE SAME TIME as the the main show. I thought it was a spin-off made after the show ended, but nope, Mitch apparently goes from being a lifeguard in the day to fighting vampires at night. :stare: Have you ever considered writing a book about bad movies, I like your writing style.

Speaking of Internet Critics and books, does anyone know if Todd has said when his book is coming out? Pat the NES Punk is doing one too, which should be interesting.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the book! I also find it much better than the first. ;)

Sorry about the confusion over the Baywatch/Baywatch Nights authorship! Given that they fit so naturally as a pairing, I never even considered that it would also seem natural that Allison might have written both.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Thank you for being so honest and so courageous as to share this stuff with us. As infuriating and hilarious as parts of Sonichu and Chris can be, the whole saga is absolutely miserable, and in your more recent videos you've been communicating that tragedy pretty well. I can't say I'm not looking forward to your last Sonichu video, but I'm also looking forward to what you do next.

Dstecks giving context to the comic and illustrating the tragic nature of the Chris-Chan saga is why his review of Sonichu I feel holds up. While I feel Chris-Chan is a terrible person, I cannot help but feel some form of pity for her.

I am interested in the final Sonichu episode, but also in where Dstecks goes from here.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Chris - chan is an awful, terrible person. But the people who have spent the past few years literally stalking her are definitely worse by several orders of magnitude.

Edit: Dstecks I like you and your reviews are cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chris's trolls were never pleasant people but it's kinda insidious how so many of them seemed to just stop being assholes poking at another rear end in a top hat and went full-on rabid puppy and began whinging about SJWs and essentially denigrating Chris for being transgendered once she came out as such (especially since they'd always been on Chris's case for being a colossal and unapologetic homophobe for years at that point).

Maybe that's just the mentality that drives people to troll like that bubbling up to the surface. You know, like a white guy seeming to be sort of racist but only revealing that they're a full-on David Duke racist after a black guy moves in next door to them. I don't know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Self-loathing seems to be a huge component of trolling, for sure. I can imagine that they would get defensive and wounded if they saw their target become happier or move toward personal fulfillment in light of that. She was probably only such a good target in the first place because they saw themselves somewhere in her.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Chris's trolls were never pleasant people but it's kinda insidious how so many of them seemed to just stop being assholes poking at another rear end in a top hat and went full-on rabid puppy and began whinging about SJWs and essentially denigrating Chris for being transgendered once she came out as such (especially since they'd always been on Chris's case for being a colossal and unapologetic homophobe for years at that point).

Maybe that's just the mentality that drives people to troll like that bubbling up to the surface. You know, like a white guy seeming sort of racist but only revealing that they're a full-on David Duke racist after a black guy moves in next door to them. I don't know.

The Chris-Chan movement absolutely gave rise to (or was part of a broader movement that gave rise to) GamerGate, or at least the culture that allowed GamerGate to happen. From having been involved in CWC for years, GamerGate is what it looks like when a normal person is on the receiving end of Chris-Chan style trolling. That's why I had to make that video; to absolutely and permanently break from them, and explain, in human terms, why I can't do it any more.

prahanormal posted:

Chris - chan is an awful, terrible person. But the people who have spent the past few years literally stalking her are definitely worse by several orders of magnitude.

Chris-Chan is a victim, of years of insidious emotional abuse, starting from her mother; from which nobody could escape as a functional individual. I could type up a very long rant here about it, but the fact is that after years of this horeseshit, I have little tolerance for people claiming that Chris on any level deserved what happened to her. Now it just comes off like Hannibal trying to act like Will Graham had it coming.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ultimately, it seems like the terrible things she's done and said are only used as fuel and justification for the trolling. They did start just because she wrote a horrible comic, after all. Her true moral degeneracy was only discovered afterwards.

I used to be of the opinion that the trolls were "reather weirdly obsessed, but not entirely terrible and the bad things CWC does is their own fault", but I randomly saw their Holding Out For a Hero video and had this intense whiplash epiphany of...I dunno, just how deep her hole is, I guess. The trolling was never about calling her out, just poking someone who is severaly, severaly autistic and laughing when she does weird stuff. That some of the stuff she does is completely awful is unrelated.

Both groups can go to hell.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 6, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I can imagine that they would get defensive and wounded if they saw their target become happier or move toward personal fulfillment in light of that.

There are people who will be loving livid next week when they find out what I've done.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

The Chris-Chan movement absolutely gave rise to (or was part of a broader movement that gave rise to) GamerGate, or at least the culture that allowed GamerGate to happen. From having been involved in CWC for years, GamerGate is what it looks like when a normal person is on the receiving end of Chris-Chan style trolling. That's why I had to make that video; to absolutely and permanently break from them, and explain, in human terms, why I can't do it any more.

Chris-Chan is a victim, of years of insidious emotional abuse, starting from her mother; from which nobody could escape as a functional individual. I could type up a very long rant here about it, but the fact is that after years of this horeseshit, I have little tolerance for people claiming that Chris on any level deserved what happened to her. Now it just comes off like Hannibal trying to act like Will Graham had it coming.

The internet really hosed poo poo up.

well now on the subject of transgendered people that is a bit brighter I have a article about a composer who works at a game company who came out as a transgender last year and is now writing a fantasy book.

http://pinkfae.com/2015/09/interview-a-conversation-with-lena-chappelle/

It have little to do with chris or internet critics but it a more cheerful and less creepy internet bullying that lasted for a decade.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 6, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

If I have one criticism of your review, it is that the realization that Chris-Chan is a victim of major child abuse even before the trolling does not really become apparent until after the trolls start coming in. Hell, it was not until after seeing your review I read up and Chris-Chan and learned of her upbringing. I feel to properly understand the tragedy of Chris-Chan, some of the upbringing needs to be known to the audience before the trolls enter the story.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The story of Chris-Chan would make for an interesting documentary, if you managed to keep the trolls from having any involvement with the production. Really, anyone can talk about Sonichu and how lovely it is. But to really understand it, you have to understand Chris, and her history.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Spark That Bled posted:

The story of Chris-Chan would make for an interesting documentary, if you managed to keep the trolls from having any involvement with the production. Really, anyone can talk about Sonichu and how lovely it is. But to really understand it, you have to understand Chris, and her history.

A guy on YouTube called "Sachumo" already made a documentary about Chris-Chan and it was actually interesting how far he went into his history without being biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjnakAlF-s

Even better, he did an interview with a teacher who works in Special Education, and it's really insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3XKh2MSv78

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Junior Jr. posted:

What Rich says about online games and their inherently temporary nature is also a reason why I can't get into them. :smith: The inevitable pain of loss is just too great and my fear of that keeps me having experiences which could be enjoyable but transitory.

Yes, I'm a depressive.
:negative:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

What Rich says about online games and their inherently temporary nature is also a reason why I can't get into them. :smith: The inevitable pain of loss is just too great and my fear of that keeps me having experiences which could be enjoyable but transitory.

Yes, I'm a depressive.
:negative:

In most modern games, this is 100% by design. You can boot up Battlefield 1942 right now and play it with bots. Battlefield Bad Company 2? Sorry pal, outta luck. Anything to push more copies of the game! If last year's release is still playable, why buy the new one?

PassTheRemote posted:

If I have one criticism of your review, it is that the realization that Chris-Chan is a victim of major child abuse even before the trolling does not really become apparent until after the trolls start coming in. Hell, it was not until after seeing your review I read up and Chris-Chan and learned of her upbringing. I feel to properly understand the tragedy of Chris-Chan, some of the upbringing needs to be known to the audience before the trolls enter the story.

This is also a consequence of that having been outside the scope of my review until that point. The early reviews are pretty much 100% "I want to be Linkara", it was only later that I started exploring Chris's personal life (because eventually I had to for the comic to make sense).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cyron posted:

The internet really hosed poo poo up.

In fairness to the internet, the urge to be a douche to weird people/things has been in humanity forever.

Heck, the internet has allowed the weirdos to have support groups and friends they'd never get access to normally. (And also let them spread the word that bullying in general is not actually a great thing; I'd probably still be Internet Edgy if I hadn't gotten to see a lot of early social justice stuff via internet, because I live in the US South and I'm already more liberal than most of the people around me.)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Puppy Time posted:

In fairness to the internet, the urge to be a douche to weird people/things has been in humanity forever.

Heck, the internet has allowed the weirdos to have support groups and friends they'd never get access to normally. (And also let them spread the word that bullying in general is not actually a great thing; I'd probably still be Internet Edgy if I hadn't gotten to see a lot of early social justice stuff via internet, because I live in the US South and I'm already more liberal than most of the people around me.)

true, the internet is very mush a double edge sword, in one way it a great way for gay teenagers and other groups find the support and help they need. on the other hand it can be use to bully someone to the point where the person is not safe in their own house.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The internet is a tool, just like the people who use it :v:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Puppy Time posted:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Definitely not emptyquoting this, no sirree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9hW50BuNw

Doug, please for the love of cinema take some pointers from Kyle.

Jerry "It's two guys walking in the desert, there's nothing special about the desert it's not shot in any particular way."

What. What. Are you serious. Of course he is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Definitely not emptyquoting this, no sirree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9hW50BuNw

Doug, please for the love of cinema take some pointers from Kyle.

Jerry "It's two guys walking in the desert, there's nothing special about the desert it's not shot in any particular way."

What. What. Are you serious. Of course he is.

Brad gets pretty tiresome about Tree of Life too. Thankfully he's finally stopped.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Brad gets pretty tiresome about Tree of Life anything Terrence Malick's ever done too. Thankfully he's finally stopped.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well you know what, I'll watch this Tree of Life movie. If what wikipedia tells me is true

wikipedia posted:

In a symbolic first act of compassion, a dinosaur chooses not to eat a weakened creature that is lying on the side of a river bed. An asteroid tumbles through space and strikes the Earth, causing the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event.

I am in for a treat.

• Locked thread