Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Roku already refreshed their line this year. There isn't going to be a Roku 4 anytime soon.

I'm actually more interested in the refreshed FireTV that's been spied in benchmarks. I picked up a FireTV stick awhile ago for my bedroom and I was pleasantly impressed by it. I'm getting the feeling that the best combo for streaming is a Chromecast and a FireTV.

My Roku just feels so drat slow.

Given the quality of the FireTV controller (it doesn't look embarrassing looking to leave on the coffee table) and the insane snappiness of the FireTV I'm honestly shocked that anyone would even consider a Roku unless you had an extreme budget crunch or specific case that only the Roku could fill.

Other than not having a native steam streaming app, and that HDCP issue (which is fixed now) I can't ever see needing to upgrade from the FireTV.

I realize there's limelight/moonlight but a native Valve-branded steam app would be ideal to cut down on the amount of crap I have to maintain in my life.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I too find the FireTV to be fast enough. If Plex can figure out Airplay on the FireTV that'd be the killer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Roku isn't half bad if you need something that can play Vudu or Google Movies & Music. They also seem to be the first destination for weirder apps. The only way to watch Warner Archive in HD is through Roku.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oh hey, there's a Win8/10 app for WatchESPN. Beats the poo poo out of using flash.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The FireTV had been awesome. With Kodi it has been excellent.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gyshall posted:

The FireTV had been awesome. With Kodi it has been excellent.

What is Kodi?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hey everyone, last year I ended up getting a Roku 3 because I didn't want to be bothered by setting up anything or inconvenience. There's a couple issues with the Roku 3 that are bothering me and that is mostly FPS. I like watching hockey and the puck turns into a massive blur streaming through that. Am I looking at having to break the bank and drop some real money to fix the FPS issues? If I had a tablet or something could I fix it? Just curious and seeing if it's worth planning an upgrade.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pillowpants posted:

What is Kodi?

The Kodi app makes your Fire like an HTPC, and you can play local files easily. Rip your DVD collection once and never mess with your discs again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

What is Kodi?

It's XBMC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Roku isn't half bad if you need something that can play Vudu or Google Movies & Music. They also seem to be the first destination for weirder apps. The only way to watch Warner Archive in HD is through Roku.

The Vudu app is good, but the Google movies app doesn't do multichannel audio and it doesn't do anything with Google music.

One of my reasons for getting the Roku was for the Google Movies and it was a huge disappointment.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

bull3964 posted:

The Vudu app is good, but the Google movies app doesn't do multichannel audio and it doesn't do anything with Google music.

One of my reasons for getting the Roku was for the Google Movies and it was a huge disappointment.

Google Play videos/YouTube is one of the lesser streaming video sources, anyway. Stick with Vudu or Amazon if possible.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

So now that the season's started, is anyone using NFL Gamepass through AdfreeTime? I'd like to be sure it'll work before I buy.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Luceo posted:

So now that the season's started, is anyone using NFL Gamepass through AdfreeTime? I'd like to be sure it'll work before I buy.

I used it all day yesterday and it worked beautifully. I set it up on my router 2 years ago and it's Just Worked ever since.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Krailor posted:

I used it all day yesterday and it worked beautifully. I set it up on my router 2 years ago and it's Just Worked ever since.

Excellent, thank you! I am ready for some footballllllll :getin:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Besides Sling.TV, is there another way to watch the debate tonight on a Roku? Is there going to be another Youtube link?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Silly Burrito posted:

Besides Sling.TV, is there another way to watch the debate tonight on a Roku? Is there going to be another Youtube link?

Search around some of the Roku private channels and you should find it directly somewhere or through one of those crackle like combo channels. Current topical stuff is almost always available but quality is a roll of the dice.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

There is a CNN international channel through nowhere TV. Any major U.S. Events are covered on it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

There is a CNN international channel through nowhere TV. Any major U.S. Events are covered on it.

Found a World News Live addon for Kodi, and there's a CNN International stream on it that's got the debate on it. Couldn't get the Nowhere TV addon to work through the Roku, but thanks!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Silly Burrito posted:

Day late and a dollar short, but the CNN iOS apps had them streaming live for free without needing a cable subscription.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

blugu64 posted:

Day late and a dollar short, but the CNN iOS apps had them streaming live for free without needing a cable subscription.

I downloaded the CNN app on two different iPads and neither one had audio. My volume was on but I could not even get the "this is CNN" audio.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I was a U-verse customer until we recently switched to Comcast. HBO Now on U-verse was buffer-free, and high quality at their 18MB speed tier. Comcast is twice as fast in almost every situation at their 25MB tier, but HBO Now suffers terrible video quality and more pausing to buffer the further I get through any episode.

Is Comcast loving with me?

Would a VPN conceal the traffic's source and allow a better quality HBO Now experience?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

duodenum posted:

I was a U-verse customer until we recently switched to Comcast. HBO Now on U-verse was buffer-free, and high quality at their 18MB speed tier. Comcast is twice as fast in almost every situation at their 25MB tier, but HBO Now suffers terrible video quality and more pausing to buffer the further I get through any episode.

Is Comcast loving with me?

Would a VPN conceal the traffic's source and allow a better quality HBO Now experience?

So a Speedtest shows you're getting the full 25mbit? Should be more than enough for HD HBO streaming. If so, a VPN might help: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/netflix-slow-on-verizon-or-comcast-a-vpn-might-speed-up-that-video/ .

Comcast loves to conveniently let routing to streaming services suffer.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've got a big gently caress off antenna in my attic that came with my house. It must be from the 60s or 70s. I ran a cable from it yesterday to the splitter in our basement that goes to the other TVs in our house.

For the most part reception is pretty bad. Being an attic antenna, I don't give a poo poo how it looks. Are there any quick and dirty DIY mods I can do to turn this into some Franken-Antenna from hell that will pick up a decent signal? I did some googling, but didn't come up with much. I'm going to go up there again today to make sure the connection is good, and that it's pointed in the right direction.

The only other thing I can think of besides buying a new one is to put an amplifier in before the splitter.

Does anyone have input or any good resources for getting decent antenna TV signal for specific neighborhoods?

Thanks!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://tvfool.com (I'm assuming you live in the USA)

An amp is not a bad idea, especially considering the length of the runs you're talking about. How many TVs are you feeding?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Only two right now. Might end up being three or four in the future. That site looks great, thanks!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
How big a splitter is being used? Every leg added is going to cost signal strength regardless of whether it's in use or not.

I was seriously looking for amplifiers, although I don't know much about OTA amps Winegard is usually well regarded and I have used their antennae with great success before.

I also found this beauty because more dB = better than :v:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performa...tenna+amplifier

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

How big a splitter is being used? Every leg added is going to cost signal strength regardless of whether it's in use or not.

Good point, it's a 5 way splitter right now just because that's what was already there. I think I have the parts around to fix that though. I'd like to use the amp as a last resort.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So one input and four outputs? You can pick up ~3.5 dB by switching to a two way (one in two out) splitter. While that won't hurt I wouldn't hold out for a miracle. A preamp for an antenna is not a bad thing since even "strong" stations are hitting at very low power.

Additionally make sure the fittings in use are good quality compression connectors. A decent crimp-on is not so bad but if your wires are connected with screw-on or toolless type fittings you're probably leaking signal like crazy at multiple points. Also make sure they're on good and snug...you don't have to wrench them down hard, but you also don't want the connector to be able to wiggle at all when it's connected.

EDIT: if you don't have any coax tools this looks like a pretty good all in one set. No idea how good the fittings are but Klein is generally decent. Now I kinda want one just because. :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 4, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Panty Saluter posted:

I was seriously looking for amplifiers, although I don't know much about OTA amps Winegard is usually well regarded and I have used their antennae with great success before.

I also found this beauty because more dB = better than :v:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performa...tenna+amplifier

I've been using an Electroline amplifier for the last 10-15 years, and it's always worked well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-2400-Booster-Amplifier-Warranty/dp/B001222256

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lowes home depot both should sell the boost xt winegaurd amp. It's great. Also buy a $20 coax compression tool and redo your ends. If you have access to a small TV take it into the attic to aid with aiming

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

Additionally make sure the fittings in use are good quality compression connectors. A decent crimp-on is not so bad but if your wires are connected with screw-on or toolless type fittings you're probably leaking signal like crazy at multiple points. Also make sure they're on good and snug...you don't have to wrench them down hard, but you also don't want the connector to be able to wiggle at all when it's connected.

Everything seems to be compression (it was all installed by the cable guy a couple years ago) except for the cable I'm using from the antenna which is something I got off Mononprice a long time ago. Is that something I'd really have to worry about?

Thank you for all the info, you guys are really helpful!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
When in doubt, change it out :v: I would for sure, because a bad fitting at your source means trouble for everything downstream.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silly Burrito posted:

I've been using an Electroline amplifier for the last 10-15 years, and it's always worked well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-2400-Booster-Amplifier-Warranty/dp/B001222256

http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-E...60_SR160%2C160_

I'd suggest this one since your splits are in a different place from your source. Install this next to the antenna, and use a DC passing splitter if you put the power pack with one of the TVs. Of course if you have a power outlet in the attic, none of that matters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Veskit posted:

Hey everyone, last year I ended up getting a Roku 3 because I didn't want to be bothered by setting up anything or inconvenience. There's a couple issues with the Roku 3 that are bothering me and that is mostly FPS. I like watching hockey and the puck turns into a massive blur streaming through that. Am I looking at having to break the bank and drop some real money to fix the FPS issues? If I had a tablet or something could I fix it? Just curious and seeing if it's worth planning an upgrade.

I don't recall GCL having any major issues on my Roku, but I did start using my AppleTV primarily for NHL. If you're looking to upgrade, I would suggest holding out to see what the new AppleTV delivers in terms of performance. It'll be a little pricier than other options but still cheaper than most worthwhile tablets IMHO.

Unless you're looking to stay away from Apple devices in which case I'll have to defer to someone who knows other devices well enough to comment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku 4 is official.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/roku-4-4k/

I'm actually a little bit surprised as I really didn't think we would see more hardware from Roku this year.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Roku 4 is official.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/roku-4-4k/

I'm actually a little bit surprised as I really didn't think we would see more hardware from Roku this year.
At the beginning of last month, Roku emailed me about how my "Classic" Roku, which I no longer use, would soon no longer be supported, and they included a 20% off code for a new player. I thought that was great because I was thinking about getting an updated Roku 2 since I like my previous gen Roku 3 so much. But the fact that the code had an expiration date of Sept. 30, and the rumors circulating about a Roku 4 made me suspicious, so I didn't use the code.

I checked the original link in that email again just now, and now the page has updated to show an expiration date of December 31 for the discount code. Says it only works for the 1, 2 and 3 models, though.

But yeah, I intend to buy a Roku 4.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My only choice: Do I replace my Roku 3 in the front with this, or should I leave that one alone since it's not a 4k TV? Almost definitely getting one for the new bedroom 4k TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you arn't using a 4k tv i wouldn't bother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The performance may be nice. I find the current Roku slow as molasses.

But, I just took delivery on the new FireTV last night so my Roku is being retired at my main watching position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The performance may be nice. I find the current Roku slow as molasses.

But, I just took delivery on the new FireTV last night so my Roku is being retired at my main watching position.

Really? I have both the Fire TV (non 4k) and the Roku 3. I much much prefer the Roku 3. It feels much faster to me. The hardware buttons for Hulu/Netflix are awesome whereas the FireTV feels like it takes ages to navigate menus to find the app I want. Also the updated Plex app on Roku is 1000x better than the crap on the FireTV. Finally, I love the headphone port on the remote on the Roku 3.

Bought the FireTV for my main TV thinking it would be a big improvement, but I will probably end up selling it any trying out the new AppleTV (assuming a Plex app is available).