Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ah lame ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

if you put a butterfly in your logo the last quiet mission doesnt trigger and she never leaves tho

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
They should have tossed in one of those generic Skull non-quiets as a replacement.

Funky Britches posted:

if you put a butterfly in your logo the last quiet mission doesnt trigger and she never leaves tho

Yeah but now you're stuck with a lovely logo.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

lovely Wizard posted:

Yeah but now you're stuck with a lovely logo.

F U Buddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funky Britches posted:

wait what

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

a cop posted:

I'd still like a screenshot of this. I swear it isn't working for me on PS4.

here you go.

edit: you might need to fullscreen that, came out darker than i thought.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Alain Post posted:

i wonder how many people have gotten hosed over by the butterfly emblem thing so far

What is this?

edit: lol answered above. How the hell would anyone think to do that?

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

same page dude

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

nice edit jerk

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
Its pretty well documented.

The Konami tip line, however, doesnt mention it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I don't see how anyone would figure that out without reading about it first, but I guess it's not a huge deal. Quiet was badass but I actually like DD more as a buddy.

So does it just lock Quiet's last mission out completely, or does it allow you to do it and she just doesn't leave afterward? If it doesn't let you do the mission at all that would be pretty funny, since it would keep you from 100%ing the game / getting the platinum trophy.

edit: Am I just forgetting something in the game that references her and butterflies? I know Paz has the cutscene with the Morpho butterfly (that entire arc just left me with more questions than answers) but I can't think of any reason to infer that a butterfly emblem would do that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

here you go.

edit: you might need to fullscreen that, came out darker than i thought.

Ahhhh ok thank you. I might not be able to see it due to my brightness settings.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't see how anyone would figure that out without reading about it first, but I guess it's not a huge deal. Quiet was badass but I actually like DD more as a buddy.

So does it just lock Quiet's last mission out completely, or does it allow you to do it and she just doesn't leave afterward? If it doesn't let you do the mission at all that would be pretty funny, since it would keep you from 100%ing the game / getting the platinum trophy.

edit: Am I just forgetting something in the game that references her and butterflies? I know Paz has the cutscene with the Morpho butterfly (that entire arc just left me with more questions than answers) but I can't think of any reason to infer that a butterfly emblem would do that.

It just delays it apparently.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

if you go to develop equipment for her you'll see a butterfly symbol thats all i know so far

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

I think after mission 43 she get kidnapped by russians? The side op to save her results in her dying.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation

Her gun's names too reference butterflies.

Also I honestly assumed this was just a troll, I'm surprised its an actual thing. (OR IS IT???)

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Also I honestly assumed this was just a troll, I'm surprised its an actual thing. (OR IS IT???)

well it worked for me

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Funky Britches posted:

I think after mission 43 she get kidnapped by russians? The side op to save her results in her dying.

Yeah, I did that. I just wish there had been some warning on what the effect would be, since replayability is a big part of this game's appeal and permanently losing a buddy is kind of lame. They could have easily let you keep using her and justified it with the same logic that lets you play old story missions as "flashbacks." Just remove her from her cell on MB and tada.

edit: I did completely forget about her Butterfly-named weapons. Though I'm not sure if that would be enough to connect the dots and realize that I should make a butterfly emblem before a mission that I don't know the outcome of in advance. I honestly don't believe anyone did that without reading about it first, or by sheer dumb luck.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

randombattle posted:

He also used his son as a test pilot in a dangerous experiment and betrayed every single group that ever helped him.

Funky Valentine posted:

It's cool that this game reconciles "rear end in a top hat who tried to drown his stepdaughter" from MGS2 and "literally Otacon in a wheelchair" from Peace Walker in a pretty perfect way.

Funky Britches posted:

It's great because you expect him to be all bro with Snake like Otacon is and he turns out to be a big piece of poo poo.
It's kind of amusing that in the game that promised us Big Boss's descent into darkness we didn't get that but we did get Huey Emmerich's descent into darkness.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Did either Big Boss even do anything evil at all - everything Venom Snake did was pretty reasonable since everyone in Mother Base is either a captured enemy combatant/a rescued prisoner/ a volunteer joining based on Big Boss's deeds. He showed Huey some level of mercy for his betrayals against mother base (letting Huey leave via exile rather than getting executed for the obvious loving over of mother base) even though it could gently caress him over. The other Big Boss might be doing questionable poo poo but we don't see anything but dopplesnake's actions.

Plus the weapon of mass destruction that got Outer Heaven invaded by Solid Snake, TX-55, seems like it's just a bigger unmanned version of Walker Gear even though the unused episode 51 shows that Venom Snake manages to retrieve the redestroyed Sahelanthropus after loving up Liquid.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lovely Wizard posted:

Did either Big Boss even do anything evil at all - everything Venom Snake did was pretty reasonable since everyone in Mother Base is either a captured enemy combatant/a rescued prisoner/ a volunteer joining based on Big Boss's deeds. He showed Huey some level of mercy for his betrayals against mother base (letting Huey leave via exile rather than getting executed for the obvious loving over of mother base) even though it could gently caress him over. The other Big Boss might be doing questionable poo poo but we don't see anything but dopplesnake's actions.

Plus the weapon of mass destruction that got Outer Heaven invaded by Solid Snake, TX-55, seems like it's just a bigger unmanned version of Walker Gear even though the unused episode 51 shows that Venom Snake manages to retrieve the redestroyed Sahelanthropus after loving up Liquid.

The whole decoy plan is basically Big Boss becoming a hypocrite and doing exactly what he condemned Zero and the world's governments for, which is pretty much a betrayal of his core ideals. Venom creates a nuclear-equipped stronghold and tries to take the whole world hostage, which is pretty hosed up, and arguably he ends up creating child soldiers even if he tries to justify it to himself.

So he doesn't really become "evil" in the strictest sense, which is admittedly what they were hinting at, but Big Boss basically got retconned into being a tragic hero a long time ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The whole decoy plan is basically Big Boss becoming a hypocrite and doing exactly what he condemned Zero and the world's governments for, which is pretty much a betrayal of his core ideals. Venom creates a nuclear-equipped stronghold and tries to take the whole world hostage, which is pretty hosed up, and arguably he ends up creating child soldiers even if he tries to justify it to himself.

So he doesn't really become "evil" in the strictest sense, which is admittedly what they were hinting at, but Big Boss basically got retconned into being a tragic hero a long time ago.

yeah. the more I think about it the more I actually like how this turned out. and like I said, I definitely prefer "undercooked" to whatever the gently caress MGS4's plot was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the black stain on her face looks like a butterfly, kinda?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's cool that this game reconciles "rear end in a top hat who tried to drown his stepdaughter" from MGS2 and "literally Otacon in a wheelchair" from Peace Walker in a pretty perfect way.

they also kinda dealt with the thing where the series' big bad guy was the same guy hyping up James Bond and talking about the origins of afternoon tea in MGS3

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 6, 2015

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Do cutscenes play out differently if you're Demon Snake? Seems weird that this bloody horned demon man would just let Huey go.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Funky Britches posted:

Do cutscenes play out differently if you're Demon Snake? Seems weird that this bloody horned demon man would just let Huey go.

Huey is still alive to drown himself later on, so probably not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nakar posted:

It's kind of amusing that in the game that promised us Big Boss's descent into darkness we didn't get that but we did get Huey Emmerich's descent into darkness.
Well Kojima was pretty truthful about you feeling regret for your actions.

In that you (probably) gave money to Konami.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I especially feel regret that dressing Quiet like a human being is much more expensive than leaving her as the Designer Intended.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Actually, due to her means of energy intake, she's a human... bean.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
She is an abomination.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

She wants to have hot, nasty, silent sex w/ snake.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Isn't that a bad idea when you're crawling with parasites?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
She's off fighting Monsanto now.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Wasn't there a trailer of Big Boss on his bike at some point with the shrapnel in his head?

Wondering if that's just an intentional misleading or the Venom stuff was added later

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hardflip posted:

Wasn't there a trailer of Big Boss on his bike at some point with the shrapnel in his head?

Wondering if that's just an intentional misleading or the Venom stuff was added later

That was in the true ending.

edit: Oh, with the shrapnel. Yeah, they added that for the trailer, for obvious reasons.

They did basically the same thing with MGS2's promotional material, where they swapped Snake's model in for Raiden when showing off the Plant chapter stuff so people didn't realize the twist in advance.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

That was in the true ending.

no shrapnel

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

You keep catching me right as I am editing my posts :argh:

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

You keep catching me right as I am editing my posts :argh:

owned, heres some more screenshots

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

but yeah was probably just to throw people off

edit: having just finished it, is it possible to get all those red light doors open? wasn't sure if i was meant to unlock them to talk to other characters

Hardflip fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 6, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hardflip posted:

but yeah was probably just to throw people off

edit: having just finished it, is it possible to get all those red light doors open? wasn't sure if i was meant to unlock them to talk to other characters

Nope, the only ones you can go into are one each in the medbay and R&D. Apparently there were a lot more interior areas planned, but they didn't have time / money to implement them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mother Base in general is the place that was most obviously cut for time. I still like it but it's barely more functional than panning around the platforms in Peace Walker.

I think they wanted players to be able to customize the layout of the platforms at some point, too.

• Locked thread