Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Did you see the usage of Deepsound? I don't think anyone could tell the difference between someone burning some lossy, lovely MP3 they found on the internet to a disc and someone putting some hidden content in the disc on top of said lovely MP3 via Deepsound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

seaborgium posted:

He burned the parts on his computer, but he still has a folder full of data CD's hidden cleverly under his dresser. I'm betting a case could be made fairly well once someone dug through those.

Except they're all encrypted with DeepSound and so look like normal audio cds for all intents and purposes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

crazysim posted:

Did you see the usage of Deepsound? I don't think anyone could tell the difference between someone burning some lossy, lovely MP3 they found on the internet to a disc and someone putting some hidden content in the disc on top of said lovely MP3 via Deepsound.

Learn something new every day, I'd never heard of that. So it probably is hidden then.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Wasn't there a plot point where someone couldn't rip or play one of Elliot's "music" CDs, though? Or is that part of DeepSound too?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That was the CD from the "random" musician who accosted Angela and her boyfriend, I think.

DeepSound wouldn't prevent ripping.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can totally understand, like, old people not knowing how to use computers and being unable to identify malware on the internet; but just inserting random discs or USB drives off the street seems so dumb that I can't believe people my age, even with the most basic of computer literacy, would actually do that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can totally understand, like, old people not knowing how to use computers and being unable to identify malware on the internet; but just inserting random discs or USB drives off the street seems so dumb that I can't believe people my age, even with the most basic of computer literacy, would actually do that.

Try it yourself, go to Walmart and buy $50 worth of USB sticks, fill them with an autorun.inf pointing to goatse and leave them around your work parking lot. All you really need is one hit.

People are curious. Super-nice people want to look through it for a clue to see if they can get it back to the original owner.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 6, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
You'd be surprised. The Department of Defense got hit with exactly that attack.

People are far too curious for their own good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People also work hard to click through their browser telling them "THIS SITE IS DANGEROUS THIS ONE RIGHT HERE WE CHECKED DON'T DO IT gently caress STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING OH FOR CHRIST'S SAKE".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Use adblock and whitelist cookies and javascript if you want IT to look kindly upon you

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

BlindSite posted:

Even if he did find something there wouldn't be any evidence because elliott drilled, microwaved and turfed all his poo poo at least twice (probably thrice with the fcsociety hack going through) since he hacked dog man though right?

It spooks me that people can do truly heinous poo poo via hacking and then stand very little to no chance of facing consequences for it as long as they destroy and hide the computer, or computers, they used before the heat comes down. I mean, human nature along with the impracticality of destroying all your poo poo every month means it rarely works out that way, but still.

Off the top of my head, I think encryption can work as a more reasonable method. Put your stuff on a password encrypted harddrive with a real password that's gibberish like z5pr9xl for 10-15 characters.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It really boggles your mind that someone would find a USB stick on the ground and not try to use it for their own purpose? Most people would be like " hey, free thumb drive hell yeah!". That's the most plausible of any hack in this show.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cactus posted:

I hope that this is one of the themes the show is angling towards. It depends whether the writers are going for a V for Vendetta-type "what if OWS was successful?" revolution fantasy, or whether it's going more in a Wolf of Wall Street or The Wire direction, in that these institutions are so big they're self-perpetuating and the elites that control them have so much wealth they never suffer any real consequences no matter what happens. Or even a totally bonkers other direction I haven't even thought of. Either way I can't wait to find out where this is going.

Sam Esmail has stated that the show was inspired by his time with the Arab Spring in Egypt, so I heavily suspect that the show will play out similarly: the "revolution" looks like it's going to change everything, but the elites are far cleverer than suspected, and the masses utterly fail to "wake up". So what they end up with is just the same world as before but the ruling class has shuffled around a bit.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

seaborgium posted:

He burned the parts on his computer, but he still has a folder full of data CD's hidden cleverly under his dresser. I'm betting a case could be made fairly well once someone dug through those.

As mentioned they are quite smartly hidden, and even if they weren't modern encryption means unless Elliot gave them the key they would be useless to any investigation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

empty baggie posted:

It really boggles your mind that someone would find a USB stick on the ground and not try to use it for their own purpose? Most people would be like " hey, free thumb drive hell yeah!". That's the most plausible of any hack in this show.

Yeah when I learnt about it being a real world practise a few years ago it blew my mind. It's so simple but incredibly effective. Id probably have done the same before learning about it, and probably would still. My housemate has found USB sticks belonging to students before and used the files to trace them back, but i presume the environment he's in is protected to stop any known malicious entities from an attack. But if it's something custom written specifically to infiltrate the network he's on? Owned.

Can't think of much in the way of social engineering that's happened in s1, that's always my favourite real world method. Tell people to do something in an official voice and they'll probably do it. High vis jacket and a clipboard, how many people will honestly question if you are who you say you are?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

NowonSA posted:

It spooks me that people can do truly heinous poo poo via hacking and then stand very little to no chance of facing consequences for it as long as they destroy and hide the computer, or computers, they used before the heat comes down. I mean, human nature along with the impracticality of destroying all your poo poo every month means it rarely works out that way, but still.

Off the top of my head, I think encryption can work as a more reasonable method. Put your stuff on a password encrypted harddrive with a real password that's gibberish like z5pr9xl for 10-15 characters.

there's a bunch of overkill in the show that i imagine is purely for effect. like they toasted that whole computer, case and all. probably unnecessary; unless the nsa has gotten craazy the computer fan doesn't sto're any data

in the real world cybercrime is insanely traceable, i don't recommend it. the internet routes your connection through a ton of different servers, the owners of precisely none of which appreciate being used for crimes, especially bandwidth-expensive crimes and all of which will totally cooperate with basically anyone to avoid the slightest chance of being charged as an accomplice. like, its sweet that you're using a proxy server in a non-extradition country but you still have to go through your isp and their isp and so on to even get out there. and tor is a non-starter since basically every entry and exit node is run by the feds to catch nonces.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's probably just easier to nuke the whole machine, as things like the network interface will have a MAC ID etc. why strip it down when you can just throw the whole thing in the fire.

And yeah, when it comes to security online regardless of what precautions you take you have to presume that everything you do can be traced back to you. Because that encryption protocol you use is probably busted wide open and offers zero protection.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
In the pilot MR Robot said :

"You don't take down a conglomerate by shooting them in the heart. That's the thing about conglomerates, they don't have hearts. You take them down limb by limb, as they unravel, their illusion of control unravels."

Really interested in seeing the next part he takes down.

E: Also, whoever did the music for this needs an emmy.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 6, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spacman posted:

E: Also, whoever did the music for this needs an emmy.

It's fantastic, and I've meant to mention it a bunch of times. Again, it feels like it's heavily influenced from elsewhere (in my mind it's Trent Reznor's soundtrack for The Social Network, which I loved) but it doesn't matter. It's used perfectly.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's fantastic, and I've meant to mention it a bunch of times. Again, it feels like it's heavily influenced from elsewhere (in my mind it's Trent Reznor's soundtrack for The Social Network, which I loved) but it doesn't matter. It's used perfectly.

It is influenced about five places per song minimum, it's brilliant. Time and time again.

gently caress me the last scene after the credits... Just amazing.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I lost a friend's usb drive on campus that I was using to print an assignment. A professor found it, opened multiple files, saw my name, and looked me up through the campus directory to return it. He wasn't even that old, maybe like 40.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

All the screeners used The Social Network as a temp score. I read a lot of the show's music is Tangerine Dream.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nooneofconsequence posted:

I lost a friend's usb drive on campus that I was using to print an assignment. A professor found it, opened multiple files, saw my name, and looked me up through the campus directory to return it. He wasn't even that old, maybe like 40.

I mean, I guess that seems reasonable. I'm probably just paranoid because one time I fell for one of those dumb Facebook posts that can hijack your account, and I felt so bad about being tricked in such a way that now I am incredibly distrustful of everything. I won't even plug my laptop into public USB chargers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think that Rule of TV demands that someone will probably find out about Elliot being the hacker and it will probably end up being Krista's douchey ex, just because it will cause the most tension and conflict and Rule of TV demands that whatever will cause the most tension and conflict will probably happen. And there's, well, no story if they just get away with everything.

I hope it happens in some way that makes sense though. I love this show, but a lot has already happened on it that strains the limits of chance and credulity. I'm not talking about tech stuff or even necessarily characterization, I'm talking about stuff like "Wow, how very convenient that the exact specific event that would cause the biggest problems for everyone just so happened to fall into place right now by some sort of immoderate coincidence!"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm an academic librarian, and students constantly forget their USB drives in our shared library computers. I'll always pop them into mine to identify the owner and send them an e-mail, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's probably just easier to nuke the whole machine, as things like the network interface will have a MAC ID etc. why strip it down when you can just throw the whole thing in the fire.

And yeah, when it comes to security online regardless of what precautions you take you have to presume that everything you do can be traced back to you. Because that encryption protocol you use is probably busted wide open and offers zero protection.

Especially when IPv6 finally reaches full use. No more NAT on a single IP...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm an academic librarian, and students constantly forget their USB drives in our shared library computers. I'll always pop them into mine to identify the owner and send them an e-mail, but now I'm having second thoughts.

There's a pretty good chance at least one of them you found was left behind on purpose. It's pretty common. I think there was an article in 2600 magazine about doing just that not too long ago.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

BrianWilly posted:

I think that Rule of TV demands that someone will probably find out about Elliot being the hacker and it will probably end up being Krista's douchey ex, just because it will cause the most tension and conflict and Rule of TV demands that whatever will cause the most tension and conflict will probably happen. And there's, well, no story if they just get away with everything.

I hope it happens in some way that makes sense though. I love this show, but a lot has already happened on it that strains the limits of chance and credulity. I'm not talking about tech stuff or even necessarily characterization, I'm talking about stuff like "Wow, how very convenient that the exact specific event that would cause the biggest problems for everyone just so happened to fall into place right now by some sort of immoderate coincidence!"

If I was writing the show I'd go for something like dog man hiring another hacker to hack Elliot. There's very few plausible ways he can catch Elliot within the law.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 7, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
This show is really a lesson in why you should just epoxy all your non-essential ports shut.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

This show is really a lesson in why you should just epoxy all your non-essential ports shut.

On your computer, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ultramiraculous posted:

Are vents non-essential? Why is my computer on fire?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mega Comrade posted:

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

Definitely true. I had a flash drive infected by a non-networked laptop of all things, and I get home, plug it in and see some hidden executables that would've owned a Windows installation outright.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still have the memories of sitting at an Atari ST and having to go through about 300 discs to find the infected ones.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The dog still has a micro SD card in him depending how long ago that was. Douche Dog Man could potentially have it if he steals the dog back.

There's your danger.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Elliot pulled off the arm of the sunglasses to reveal a USB drive.

Has Elliot considered pulling the legs off the dog yet?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

blunt posted:

Except they're all encrypted with DeepSound and so look like normal audio cds for all intents and purposes.

Well, they'll get him on pirating music then!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I can't believe how many people would put an unidentified usb stick in their computer without thinking twice. I guess I've just gotten used to living in the IT bubble where not doing that is common sense. But seriously, some of the world's most dangerous viruses start out that way. Check out Stuxnet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Stuxnet white paper is some read. It's also my go to thing when people say "nobody uses Macs so nobody ever bothered writing exploits for them", when you have people writing exploits for one very precise system.

Users are always the weakest point of exploitation, and people just don't think. Before I read about it being a technique a few years ago, I'd have never considered it despite it being obvious now. I know my laptop is locked down to only work with our encrypted keys, but given it's a Windows box and I trust our IT team about as much as as I trust my dog not to eat a pizza within easy reach, I bet whatever security protocols they've undertaken are barely effective at best.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My theory is that the gun in the popcorn machine went off because of the heat and shot Tyrell. (Though I don't know enough about guns to judge if this is even possible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

chaosbreather posted:

there's a bunch of overkill in the show that i imagine is purely for effect. like they toasted that whole computer, case and all. probably unnecessary; unless the nsa has gotten craazy the computer fan doesn't sto're any data

in the real world cybercrime is insanely traceable, i don't recommend it. the internet routes your connection through a ton of different servers, the owners of precisely none of which appreciate being used for crimes, especially bandwidth-expensive crimes and all of which will totally cooperate with basically anyone to avoid the slightest chance of being charged as an accomplice. like, its sweet that you're using a proxy server in a non-extradition country but you still have to go through your isp and their isp and so on to even get out there. and tor is a non-starter since basically every entry and exit node is run by the feds to catch nonces.

the worst of it comes from places like china/russia though where the government don't give a poo poo about co-operating with tracking people down

did anyone else think the guy who blew his brains out looked like tyrell a bit? mostly in the mannerisms/smile. not that i think it means anything of course

• Locked thread