Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Epic High Five posted:

Nobody who stores books like that has a soul, if he's standing up for refugees and immigrants it's only so he can punch down harder

I thought the gimmick of that layout is that he can see the spines on the side he's sitting on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nintendo Kid posted:

I thought the gimmick of that layout is that he can see the spines on the side he's sitting on?

I'm pretty sure the gimmick is that he can just use any random books since the audience can't see them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I would love to read a book about the dolchstosslegende, because the mental gymnastics required to ignore that the kaiser was a loving idiot and the army had no plan to win the war after August 1914, and blame it all on the people who took over after Willy resigned must be incredible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does he actualy believe any of this poo poo? i am never sure with beck. i am sure clowns like barton do. but beck has always been weird because he has a good side.( he stood up for refugees and immigrants) but the rest of his poo poo makes him sound like he wants to be part of bioshock infinite.

Probably not. He's lifted the mask and winked a couple of times that it's all an act, but who really knows for sure.

...Doe he still have that bug up his rear end about Woodrow Wilson for no logical reason?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

I would love to read a book about the dolchstosslegende, because the mental gymnastics required to ignore that the kaiser was a loving idiot and the army had no plan to win the war after August 1914, and blame it all on the people who took over after Willy resigned must be incredible.

Oh here you go "GERMANY STRONG, TRAITORS WEAK!" - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nintendo Kid posted:

"I'm going to make Germany great again!"

:frogout:

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i believe its the revolutionary French personification of liberty portrayed as an evil Jew. republicanism was pretty unpopular with a lot of folks who believed the dolchstosslegende, so painting it with the same brush makes sense

Thats what I always assumed. The barechested lady carrying the tricolour in that painting. What the allies portrayed as a victory for Freedom etc was actually a victory for Jews ( and Bolshevism etc).

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

But also and at the same time "GERMANY WEAK, TRAITORS STRONG."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Much like Obama, the filthy Jew loving masses who dared not support the war were simultaneously weak pussy-baby cowards who should just loving kill themselves in shame, and also cruel and calculating puppetmasters who ran the entire nation in the shadows to hamstring the brave German soldiers.

The end, twenty bucks please.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What in the hell is that?

It's his radio for talking to god, like the ark.

His is full of Xerum 525 and thorium/beryllium peroxides from Die Glocke, though.

I'm amazed but not particularly surprised at how absolutely batfuck Beck has gotten over the last few years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VitalSigns posted:

I would love to read a book about the dolchstosslegende
Currently sitting on my nightstand, about 30% complete:

You could do a lot worse.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What in the hell is that?

His oversized gravity bong.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/01/universities-are-becoming-gender-neutral-zones-where-free-thought-is-outlawed.html

quote:

I really feel bad for American moms and dads – I really do. They send off their kids to college as decent, freedom-loving people. But they return home as gender neutral, secular progressives who can’t figure out whether to leave the toilet seat up or down.

Our institutions of higher learning need a courtesy flush, America.

Couple of thoughts.

-What the hell is secular by the traditional definition compared to the right wing definition?

-Is the right this terrified of higher education because their lovely ideas don't seem to hold up against other ones when met face to face?

-Why is Todd Starnes making poop and pee jokes in this column?

e: Is everyone in this thread considered a "secular progressive"? Do we all "Hate Freedom" if the other side loves it? We need answers because I'm confused.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 6, 2015

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

FMguru posted:

His oversized gravity bong.

I am pretty sure only your eyes are supposed to turn red, though. Jesus, Glenn!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FuzzySkinner posted:

-What the hell is secular by the traditional definition compared to the right wing definition?

e: Is everyone in this thread considered a "secular progressive"? Do we all "Hate Freedom" if the other side loves it? We need answers because I'm confused.

"Secular progressive" is code for "person who understands true freedom of religion and the establishment clause who thinks there are instances where lowering taxes isn't always awesome."

The sad thing is that in a bygone era being "secular" was seen as prudent. There was a difference between religious contexts and official public contexts. The position of modern conservatism, though, is that you can't let dumb stuff like the establishment clause get in the way of legislating any and all rules you feel comport with your understanding of the bible.

They're not even bitching their kids are coming back atheist or gay anymore. They're whining about their kids coming back with a proper understanding of religion's role in public policy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

Well, we know that now. But at the time the German public - and the military, including a certain corporal - were being told that they were on the verge of victory. Oh sure, we might be having some shortages, but every war has that and with the brave sacrifice of all Germans we're sure to win! Your unit might have gotten smashed up in that last push, but overall we're close to winning this thing! Keep it up boys, the enemy will crack any day now thanks to our skill and valor!

The dolchstoßlegende was entirely based on the internal propaganda that the German Empire was putting out, that made the people believe that victory was imminent. The sudden and (without the real context) inexplicable surrender of the government must therefore have had some other reasoning behind it - something sinister. And Germany had had a pretty dark streak of antisemitism ever since Martin Luther's syphilis finally drove him crazy, so hey, that must be the real cause.

Literally a conspiracy theory that gripped most of the nation.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 6, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
A relentless search for the truth has cause me to become further acquainted with the psychotic shrieks of the insane man.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

A relentless search for the truth has cause me to become further acquainted with the psychotic shrieks of the insane man.

How did he know my kink? The only thing that could make this better is if they were having sex on the American Flag in the Oval Office.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I mean, I can't see Bill complaining.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

i think that ear dropper thing is actually a diffuser/humidifier.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

My Face When posted:

i think that ear dropper thing is actually a diffuser/humidifier.

Artisan moonshine still? It would explain his complexion at least.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a scale model of the final moment before a sperm becomes an American and a Republican gains property rights over your vagina.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry this thread moved so fast...did anyone see this? http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/06/politics/sarah-palin-diversity-spanish/index.html

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's actually my desperate fever dream that when the emails are sorted through we find out that Hillary had a brief but torrid affair with Monica. It seems the sort of thing that nobody would know how to handle.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

jesus

quote:

But she also said we should send a message to say, “When you’re here, let’s speak American. I mean, let’s speak English. That’s kind of a unifying aspect of a nation… the language that is understood by all.”

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sarah showing off her intelligence:

Sarah Palin posted:

You want to be in America, A, you'd better be here legally or you're out of here. B, when you're here, let's speak American. 

Why didn't we want her as veep?

E: fb; should have refreshed the page.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2015

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

The Coming of the Third Reich, by Richard Evans is good. I think any good book on Weimar Germany (Weitz's or Peukert's) would also include some mention of the Dolchstoßlegende, although I tend to be more interested in the culture of Weimar than the politics of small right-wing groups. You might do better with studies of proto-fascist militias. Reactionary Modernism might be useful for getting you into the mindset. Male Fantasies is a truly wonderful two volumes which explores literature written by members of the Freikorp. I would strongly suggest that just to see how proto-fascists saw the world, although it is rather outdated and comes from a very "child of the student movement" tradition. Evans actually reviews it in the London Review of Books, I believe. The Conservative Revolution in Weimar Politics might also be helpful.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Throwing Turtles posted:

It's actually my desperate fever dream that when the emails are sorted through we find out that Hillary had a brief but torrid affair with Monica. It seems the sort of thing that nobody would know how to handle.

Speaking personally, I'd have to agree. Assuming she also had an affair with a young intern, it'll be hard to comprehend liking Hillary that much.

More seriously, I'd imagine the romantic novel industry would react the same way as the people in Fury Road when Immortan Joe gave them water.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0msQb5SiPSI

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
The Guardian having some fun.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/06/sarah-palin-donald-trump-energy-secretary-obama-alaska

quote:

Palin was asked if she took climate change seriously.

“I take changes in the weather, the cyclical changes that the globe has undergone since the beginning of time, I take it seriously,” she said. “But I’m not going to blame those changes in the weather on man’s footprint.

“Obama was up here looking at the glaciers, and pointing out a glacier that was receding. Well, there are other glaciers though that are growing up here. He didn’t highlight that.”

Palin added: “These blames on man’s activity, some of that I know is bogus.”

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/01/universities-are-becoming-gender-neutral-zones-where-free-thought-is-outlawed.html

Couple of thoughts.

-Is the right this terrified of higher education because their lovely ideas don't seem to hold up against other ones when met face to face?

-Why is Todd Starnes making poop and pee jokes in this column?

"Secular" in the right wing hate machine basically translates to "anti-Christian." Secular is a dirty word because it includes the awful ideas of "it is acceptable to not be conservative," "religions fundamentalism is A Very Bad Thing," and "it is acceptable to not be Christian." Extending it beyond religion and you get into the territory of "racism is bad and black people are not inherently inferior." This is especially true for those of us that don't go to expensive private schools. Public schools in particular tend to be extremely racially mixed because black people just often lack the resources to go to pricier schools. So what you have is the whitest whites to ever white suddenly being exposed to lots and lots of black people, getting to know them, and going "you know what? Black people are OK, I should not hate them." Going to college ultimately mandates being exposed to new ideas unless you go to a posh private school that rich kids go to to stay isolated. It's extremely difficult to hate people that you think of as people and hanging around minority students and seeing that they aren't shitheads humanizes them.

Which of course leads to the second one. Notice that the right just loving loves isolationism and xenophobia. Part of it is because of exactly that reason. People who develop better critical thinking skills or see the actual loving real world information tend to discard right wing beliefs. This is especially true when people get exposed to lower-income students in the face of the meritocracy. If you're poor college can be a massive struggle or just plain impossible no matter how bright you are. Then you see things like wealthy kids getting through skill without working or accruing loans and poorer kids getting shouldered with massive debt along the way while working the whole time and you really, really see class disparity in action. The right wants to build a wall so people don't see that.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

English, it is English you dumb bitch. Unless you count the Native American's languages and alphabets, there really isn't a tongue that's 100% American. Also, teaching people English costs money. I assume that Ms. Palin is for funding language training programs?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

drat it, Julian, you know I didn't get my Grade 10 and can't say words as good as you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

English, it is English you dumb bitch. Unless you count the Native American's languages and alphabets, there really isn't a tongue that's 100% American. Also, teaching people English costs money. I assume that Ms. Palin is for funding language training programs?

I am full 100% behind making everyone in the US speak english.
That way the illegal immigrants will instantly have more qualifications than natural born americans by default as they know more than one language.

I also want everyone in the US to pronounce things like how a deep southern Louisanian does.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Klaus88 posted:

Hey you fascist liberal, stop picking on Real America.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Klaus88 posted:

No language indigenous to what is now the US had a writing system, so writing isn't American.

This would explain Sarah Palin's struggles with literacy.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Palin's struggle with breathing would be a lot more interesting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

happyhippy posted:

I am full 100% behind making everyone in the US speak english.
That way the illegal immigrants will instantly have more qualifications than natural born americans by default as they know more than one language.

This is what I think to. I don't think it in racist somehow to require people to learn English upon immigrating to the US (or in my case Canada), because yes, being able to speak the language of the majority of people in your country you live in will help you immensely. Classes would be provided free of charge to immigrants to give them a functional command of English. This isn't an attempt to crush their cultural identity or otherwise Americanize and white wash them. Not saying that they cannot speak their native language at all, but to give them a extra skill and make them feel more inclusive.

As above poster said, you get way less racism when you have people integrating with people of other cultures. I would not be surprised if most younger people who express racist ideas are either home or private schooled. Also I cannot imaging living in a place where everyone was just white. Wait, I lived in Oshawa, which was overwhelmingly white and is the only place I've ever lived where I have actually hear actual racism before.

I'm not saying I think everyone who is home schooled or went to a private school is racist, but the fact both of these reduce your contact with people outside your social and cultural group, i'd not be surprised if there was a correlation between the two.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
You can provide English education or training without making it a requirement for citizenship. It's also kind of a moot issue since it really only affects the first generation of immigrants. The second generation grows up bilingual, and it's not a big deal.

The conservative fantasy is that Mexican immigrants are a special brand of lazy, completely different from past waves of immigrants, that are going to immigrate without speaking English and then somehow raise second, third, fourth, and fifth generations, in the US, in a fashion where they're not going to be able to speak English either. It's dumb and we shouldn't pretend it has merit.

There's a long history of waves of immigration into the US. Yeah, some of the first generation doesn't speak English. It works itself out over time and long as they have access to the proper opportunities. There's no reason, other than racism, to make it a requirement. Most immigrants tend to want to learn English, and the very few that for some reason don't want to end up with their kids being bilingual anyway. If you provide adequate state support for English education for immigrants then this problem goes away.

As usual, the GOP wants to pretend a mandate is all you need to do to fix the problem instead of providing adequate resources to government programs.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It would also be absurd to remove the current exemptions to learning English by immigrants to the US seeking citizenship, which is mostly for old people arriving with families and people with mental/learning issues and disabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Where's that slackjectist blog post about the Women who believed that immigrants should learn English, and them went out and taught English to immigrants while the current crop of GOP "good Christian women" just keep spouting a whole lot of bullshit while not putting their money where their mouth is?

VideoTapir posted:

No language indigenous to what is now the US had a writing system, so writing isn't American.

This would explain Sarah Palin's struggles with literacy.

Your average hunter-gather lifestyle doesn't really have much of a need for an alphabet.