Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

my dad posted:

Haven't a clue. Not anime, at least that much I can be certain. We were talking about the refugee crisis, and when I asked her why she hates Muslims so much (it never came up before, but became obvious during the conversation), she told me what happened to her in Sweden, and I went :stonk: She's not a person I have a reason to distrust about this.

Well one, I think your friend is full of poo poo and is probably a loon. To answer the question though, by integrating the refugee's into the communities responsible and appropriately, which isn't hard to do if you're not retarded. So yeah.. this is grade A fear mongering type propaganda which is why people are so scared of the 'muzloms'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
its really nice to see americans wondering why we might not want new people or why it probably is all bad as they write on their keyboards comfortably from north america.

yes there are toxic communities in europe, and yes they are dangerous to accidentally walk into, who's fault is that they exist i don't know but most people do not want more of such toxic communities to exist

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Celexi posted:

its really nice to see americans wondering why we might not want new people or why it probably is all bad as they write on their keyboards comfortably from north america.

yes there are toxic communities in europe, and yes they are dangerous to accidentally walk into, who's fault is that they exist i don't know but most people do not want more of such toxic communities to exist

Yes, Americans are unfamiliar with urban thugs and "toxic communities".

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Celexi posted:

I'm typing comfortably in iraq actually, and the fact you don't know who's fault it is that 'toxic' communities exist shows how much you should probably comment on a topic you know little about. What it does show though is how people fear what they don't understand. It's not like refugees create toxic communities, and they have fled from their homes in syria which were toxic communities. they're people with families and children and who were forced to flee.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

computer parts posted:

Yes, Americans are unfamiliar with urban thugs and "toxic communities".

Out of all the countries in the world, America is the biggest most widespread examples of toxic communities haha.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Well one, I think your friend is full of poo poo and is probably a loon. To answer the question though, by integrating the refugee's into the communities responsible and appropriately, which isn't hard to do if you're not retarded. So yeah.. this is grade A fear mongering type propaganda which is why people are so scared of the 'muzloms'.

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor ethnic Swede feels or their experiences regarding islamic immigrants.

I'm tired of rich and intolerant people on this forum hating on the poor and working class.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/09/04/eu-five-steps-tackle-refugee-crisis

EU: Five Steps to Tackle Refugee Crisis

I agree with all of these, but yeah number 6: help support a unified response to stop conflicts where these refugees are coming from and redevelop their countries so they have a place to live and thrive.

quote:

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor ethnic Swede feels or their experiences regarding islamic immigrants.

I'm tired of rich and intolerant people on this forum hating on the poor and working class.

To prescribe one rape allegation heard from another person in a community that is predominantly from an immigrant or refugee background to refugees escaping conflict and that being a reason to not accept refugees in your country is the intolerance. So you shut the hell up.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 5, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seeing countries that are a hair-length away from electing actual neo-fascist parties to government in reaction to 10% of their population now being ethnic minorities, criticizing the United States for racism, is one of the best things. Irony is dead, and we're currently beating its corpse with lead pipes and kicking the poo poo out of it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Baron FU posted:

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor southern white feels or their experiences regarding the blacks or Mexican immigrants.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'll have to disagree with you about trusting her. However, I sure as hell am not defending her Islamophobia. What I'm worried about are the policies being implemented. There has to be a layer of "nobody gives a gently caress about these people" for such a community to form.
Again, this isn't a matter of who those refugees are. A place where the worst people from my hometown would be in charge would be horrifying, frankly, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies. I am legitimately interested in learning what the proper integration policies are, and I'm asking people here, especially those involved with refugee integration, what is a responsible and appropriate policy? What measures? I don't know that, which is why I'm asking.

Baron FU posted:

Please don't poo poo on people replying to my questions, TIA. Also, none of the people in that story are ethnically Swede, including my friend (who is a Serb, like me).

e:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/09/04/eu-five-steps-tackle-refugee-crisis

EU: Five Steps to Tackle Refugee Crisis

I agree with all of these, but yeah number 6: help support a unified response to stop conflicts where these refugees are coming from and redevelop their countries so they have a place to live and thrive.

Thanks for that.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 5, 2015

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Seeing countries that are a hair-length away from electing actual neo-fascist parties to government in reaction to 10% of their population now being ethnic minorities, criticizing the United States for racism, is one of the best things. Irony is dead, and we're currently beating its corpse with lead pipes and kicking the poo poo out of it

Which countries are you talking about specifically? No one expects any of the serious European players to elect a far-right wing party anytime soon. There are crazy racists but they're no closer to winning power than your own are (Donald Trump springs to mind).

Your reaction to having a large minority population has been to permit police to execute them on the streets, so forgive me if we avoid taking advice on that one.

+ You didn't answer my last post on why America's refugee policy is a disgrace (I'm still lolling at the 'big ocean'/logistics gambit), presumably because you don't have an answer.

lmaoboy1998 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

my dad posted:

A place where the worst people from my hometown would be in charge would be horrifying, frankly, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies.
Then you'll be sad to know that the Serbian maffia has a pretty significant presence in some parts of Sweden! Serbs and other Yugoslavs have always been as much a part of the problems of the immigrant communities in Sweden as any other community. A lot of the weapons that smuggled into Sweden comes from FY, and it used to be mainly Serbia. Nowadays people don't really see Yugoslavs as a problem anymore though, probably because the community is so established and pretty much taken for granted. Today it's totally proper for a Jugovic to be vehemently anti-immigration on cultural grounds. I think that's the way it will always end up, but that increasing segregation maybe makes it harder.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Your reaction to having a large minority population has been to permit police to execute them on the streets.

Or for one of them to actually be elected president.

You're also forgetting how the U.S. has multiple large minority populations that have contributed immensely to the united states thanks to the opportunities they'd been given, The system is hosed as all hell, it's flawed and even lovely skewed in many ways, but opportunities are there and the ceiling and tolerance is higher than what Europe tends to allow. The only thing that makes Europe look good is that the social net is much safer for life.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 5, 2015

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Or for one of them to actually be elected president.

You're also forgetting how the U.S. has multiple large minority populations that have contributed immensely to the united states thanks to the opportunities they'd been given, The system is hosed as all hell, it's flawed and even lovely skewed in many ways, but opportunities are there and the ceiling and tolerance is higher than what Europe tends to allow. The only thing that makes Europe look good is that the social net is much safer for life.

Was England a bastion of feminism in 1980 just because we elected Margaret Thatcher? I can assure you we weren't. Choosing a slightly brown man as figurehead (who half the country seem to despise) doesn't prove an awful lot to me, what matters is how normal people live. I'd rather be of African descent here in the UK, if I had to choose.

Europe, in any case, consists of 50 extremely different countries. Some of them (not many) have really good social integration - I really don't think being of African or Arabian or Indian descent is easier in the US than it is in Britain, for example. On the other hand, some of them are very racist and don't even offer that safety net (partly because they're ex-Soviet and/or very poor).

I do object to the idea that when Hungary or whoever elects a fascist I'm responsible for that because it's in 'Europe'. I shudder to think how geography lessons work over there.

lmaoboy1998 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Baron FU posted:

Ugh gently caress yeah we're gonna question 'working class' Swedes who are bigoted and will elect a former Neo Nazi Prime Minister.

European feelings aren't going to be respected because your xenophobia is killing thousands.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Get these people off the boats and into proper living quarters throughout Europe and the United States shouldn't just wait for these people to 'make it'. Bring them here if Europeans can't be helped to look at their man-made disaster square in the face.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Baron FU posted:

This is a very neo-Nazi sort of narrative.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nonsense posted:

the United States shouldn't just wait for these people to 'make it'. Bring them here if Europeans can't be helped to look at their man-made disaster square in the face.

We should, but we won't. There's no way our congress - which is already wringing its hands over Mexican immigrants - is going to do jack poo poo.

Honestly, could imagine what our Republican congress would say to a plan to launch boats to ferry Muslims to live in the United States, all on tax payer money? Probably have an easier time with the Mexican issue before they'd sign off on that one.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Get these people off the boats and into proper living quarters throughout Europe and the United States shouldn't just wait for these people to 'make it'. Bring them here if Europeans can't be helped to look at their man-made disaster square in the face.

Haha, 'our' disaster? I reckon your inability to keep your dick out of the Middle East might have played a small role in it mate. Unbelievable.

A better suggestion than yours: Stop waiting for us to solve this unilaterally and behave like human beings.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Baron FU posted:

I'm not hating on the working class, I am hating on Nazism and the narrative that refugees are any different from us

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Haha, 'our' disaster? I reckon your inability to keep your dick out of the Middle East might have played a small role in it mate. Unbelievable.

A better suggestion than yours: Stop waiting for us to solve this unilaterally and behave like human beings.

I mean if you don't give a poo poo about the refugees and don't want them in your country say so, but don't do this thing where you point at the US and scream about it as if it has anything to do with that country and not Europe

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I mean if you don't give a poo poo about the refugees and don't want them in your country say so, but don't do this thing where you point at the US and scream about it as if it has anything to do with that country and not Europe

American foreign policy helped create the refugee crisis. Remind me why you shouldn't play a part in solving it?

Of course I've heard your answer, the ocean means you can't possibly take an interest in this particular Middle Eastern issue for 'logistical reasons'. Lmao.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it really has to do with US policy in middle east and nothing to do with europe minus UK and russia.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm typing comfortably in iraq actually, and the fact you don't know who's fault it is that 'toxic' communities exist shows how much you should probably comment on a topic you know little about. What it does show though is how people fear what they don't understand. It's not like refugees create toxic communities, and they have fled from their homes in syria which were toxic communities. they're people with families and children and who were forced to flee.

Ah yes, iraq has pretty good integration,are you serious while posting from your US or whatever embassy office

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eurasia is death. Death to Eurasia.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I'm going to point the finger even further back and say that Europe's colonial partitioning of the Middle East is the root cause of the current crisis. Saving everyone is now back in your court.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm going to point the finger even further back and say that Europe's colonial partitioning of the Middle East is the root cause of the current crisis. Saving everyone is now back in your court.

as far i recall that was US and uk thing after ww1 on breaking the ottoman empire apart badly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Celexi posted:

as far i recall that was US and uk thing after ww1 on breaking the ottoman empire apart badly

UK and France boyo. We had enough of our own oil at the time and didn't give a gently caress.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Volkerball posted:

We're coming from fundamentally different perspectives on how the US government and democracy works, specifically in regards to foreign policy. I've got no interest in following this debate to its natural conclusion of secret elites bullshit, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Chomskyan.
Realpolitik: A ridiculous secret-elites conspiracy theory

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Celexi posted:

it really has to do with US policy in middle east and nothing to do with europe minus UK and russia.

Do not pretend France, UK, and oh that's right I forgot about Poland., had no part to play in the destabilization of the Middle East. France fucks with Africa a lot too, another refugee crisis area.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lmaoboy1998 posted:

That's not gonna happen, friend. Here's how this will work. You all will get together and push for an EU refugee deal that mostly fairly distributes refugees throughout Europe, while removing a bunch of obstacles for refugees to make it there, with the intent being a massive increase in refugee resettlement. This will happen, and it will be good. The US will not take part in that debate. 20 years from now, when people in my shoes are saying "the US is 20 years behind the rest of the world on its refugee policy, and it's archaic and disgusting," and you all are talking about how rear end backwards the US and Americans are, then we might get progress. Not one second before. Sorry, that's all I've got for you. :shrug:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 6, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sydin posted:

We should, but we won't. There's no way our congress - which is already wringing its hands over Mexican immigrants - is going to do jack poo poo.

Honestly, could imagine what our Republican congress would say to a plan to launch boats to ferry Muslims to live in the United States, all on tax payer money? Probably have an easier time with the Mexican issue before they'd sign off on that one.

I wonder why, the average refugee's social views would be in line with any tea party rally. Actually the US right is probably less homophobic.

Anyway good op-ed :

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/opinions/moghul-refugee-response-muslim-countries/index.html

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

tsa posted:

I wonder why, the average refugee's social views would be in line with any tea party rally. Actually the US right is probably less homophobic.

Anyway good op-ed :

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/opinions/moghul-refugee-response-muslim-countries/index.html

The Republican establishment doesn't care about social views. :ssh: Why do you think Trump is both leading in polls and at the same time nobody believes he will get the nod?

I should know, I'm Syrian and dead and in HUngary.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

(caveat: Daily Mail poll)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Short, subtitled video of a Kuwaiti official explaining why the GCC isn't doing poo poo for refugees. :allears:

https://twitter.com/Hassan_JBr/status/640222369278218240

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Volkerball posted:

Short, subtitled video of a Kuwaiti official explaining why the GCC isn't doing poo poo for refugees. :allears:

https://twitter.com/Hassan_JBr/status/640222369278218240

It's funny because this is exactly what the conservative EU leaders are thinking, but except for Viktor "We only want Christians" Orban none of them have the stones to be so direct about it.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The left-leaning media watchdog group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) has put out a new article on the refugee crisis. Essentially, a number of pundits have been trying to exploit the crisis to call for more US/NATO military action in Syria.

quote:

It didn’t take long for the universal and entirely justified outrage over a picture of a dead three-year-old to be funneled by the “do something” pundits to justify regime change in Syria. The “do something” crowd wants us to “do something” about the refugee crisis and “solve” the “bigger problem,” which, of course, involves regime change. To create the moral urgency and to tether the refugee crisis to their long-standing warmongering, these actors have to insist the US has “done nothing” about Syria. Here’s the Guardian editorial from Thursday:

quote:

The optimism of the Arab spring is spent. Colonel Gaddafi was a tyrant, yet Libya has unravelled violently in the aftermath of his removal. The refusal to intervene against Bashar al-Assad gave the Syrian president permission to continue murdering his people.

Here’s London Mayor Boris Johnson in the Telegraph:

quote:

I perfectly accept that intervention has not often worked. It has been a disaster in Iraq; it has been a disaster in Libya. But can you honestly say that non-intervention in Syria has been a success? If we keep doing nothing about the nightmare in Syria, then frankly we must brace ourselves for an eternity of refugees, more people suffocating in airless cattle trucks at European motorway service stations, more people trying to climb the barbed wire that we are building around the European Union.

And here’s an op-ed by Michael Gerson in the Washington Post from the same day:

quote:

At many points during the past four years, even relatively small actions might have reduced the pace of civilian casualties in Syria. How hard would it have been to destroy the helicopters dropping barrel bombs on neighborhoods? A number of options well short of major intervention might have reduced the regime’s destructive power and/or strengthened the capabilities of more responsible forces. All were untaken.

But this is all a fantasy. The US has been “intervening” in the Syrian civil war, in measurable and significant ways, since at least 2012—most notably by arming, funding and training anti-Assad forces. According to a report in the Washington Post from June:

quote:

At $1 billion, Syria-related operations account for about $1 of every $15 in the CIA’s overall budget, judging by spending levels revealed in documents the Washington Post obtained from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden.

US officials said the CIA has trained and equipped nearly 10,000 fighters sent into Syria over the past several years — meaning that the agency is spending roughly $100,000 per year for every anti-Assad rebel who has gone through the program.

In addition to this, the Obama administration has engaged in crippling sanctions against the Assad government, provided air support for those looking to depose him, incidentally funneled arms to ISIS, and not incidentally aligned the CIA-backed Free Syrian Army with Al Qaeda. Regardless of one’s position on Syria—or whether they think the US is somehow secretly in alliance with Assad, as some advance—one thing cannot be said: that the US has “done nothing in Syria.” This is historically false.

Most of those advocating for the removal of Assad probably know this, but can’t say “the US should do more,” or “they haven’t done enough,” because this would raise the uncomfortable question of what they have done already. And the answer to that, as is with most US meddling in other countries, is a lot of covert programs US officials—and thus their court press—can’t openly acknowledge. So those in the establishment media are left to do a strange dance: at once ignoring all the US has already done while insisting the US should join a fight it’s been a party to for over three years.

Another idea being advanced, for instance in the Guardian op-ed above, is the creation of a no-fly zone to help stem the tide of refugees:

quote:

To begin restoring that hope will inevitably mean international intervention of some kind. The establishment of credible safe havens and the implementation of a no-fly zone must be on the table for serious consideration.

Two things before discussing this further:

A) A no-fly zone would only be applied to Assad because anti-Assad forces don’t have an air force.

B) While it may sound like a simple humanitarian stop gap—and that’s no doubt how it’s being sold—literally every no-fly zone in history has eventually led to regime change. Which is fair enough, but those pushing for one should at least be honest about what this means: the active removal of Assad by foreign forces. Indeed, if one recalls the NATO intervention in Libya was originally sold as a no-fly zone to prevent a potential genocide, but within a matter of weeks, NATO leaders had pivoted to full-on regime change.

But here again, there’s some serious fudging going on by the Guardian. While there’s no doubt many of the refugees are escaping Assad’s bombing of cities, the boy in question, Aylan Kurdi, wasn’t: He was escaping ISIS and the US bombing of his hometown of Kobani, far from anything the Assad government is doing. A no-fly zone would not have saved his hometown. An absence of fueling jihadists by the United States and the subsequent bombing of said jihadists by the United States? Perhaps.

Once again, the disease becomes the cure, because a holistic diagnosis is not being advanced by Western media—only an evil dictator vs. freedom fighter cartoon. And why wouldn’t it? These nuances complicate the messy narrative of “If we get rid of Assad we can solve the crisis,” which has been US and UK orthodoxy since 2011. But the Guardian still has all their work ahead of them: If the West removes Assad, then what? Will the tens of thousands of radical, medieval wahabbists that have flooded in simply go away? Will the US bombing of ISIS simply stop?

The US funded, armed and fueled the very crisis its partisan media are now calling for it to swoop and in save. The moral ADD required by those pushing further US involvement in the Syrian civil war in the face of this fact is severe. That some in the media, eager to settle old scores, would so blatantly ignore history to indulge this fantasy is as pernicious as it is predictable.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 6, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ignoring the problem wont make it go away.
You can't lock up that many people.
Cruelty doesn't work as a deterrent to other asylum seekers.
You can't bomb the problem away, so what can you do?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kurdi's family fled from Damascus to Aleppo in 2012 after his father was detained by the regime and tortured, and then to Kobani after fighting in Aleppo picked up. He and his family were absolutely displaced by Assad. Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

In other news, the pundits in Kafranbel, Syria had a protest yesterday.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Kurdi's family fled from Damascus to Aleppo in 2012, and then to Kobani after fighting in Aleppo picked up. He and his family were absolutely displaced by Assad. Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

In other news, the pundits in Kafranbel, Syria had a protest yesterday.

:lol: Syria is so much more hosed up than just Assad, those people are no more informed than the refugees who said gently caress it and left.

War isn't going to solve poo poo, because we have a proven track record of not giving a poo poo about that part of the world once we blow it up and pat ourselves on the back for it.

Everybody is just coyly whistling past the grave yard as if they know any drat thing, but military involvement has been a catastrophe not a cure. Assad isn't going away, get over it.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 6, 2015

• Locked thread