Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Monogatari?
This poll is closed.
Deishuu "Dilbert as gently caress" Kaiki 133 84.18%
Some other dope, who cares 25 15.82%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

please watch patlabor. the second movie is a masterpiece of the highest order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

It's a good av. She's a great character

She's the best! She has a lot of :roboluv: just like me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fartlabor

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

I keep telling myself that one day I will watch an anime involving large robots that isn't Zoids or Diebuster, and I guess that might as well be it

It's really good, you should watch it! It's, I think, the only big robots anime I've watched beside -buster and NGE

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

I keep telling myself that one day I will watch an anime involving large robots that isn't Zoids or Diebuster, and I guess that might as well be it

You should. You should also watch a bunch of other mecha anime because robots are cool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

fartlabor

uncalled for

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kinnikuman is my favorite anime.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

She's the best! She has a lot of :roboluv: just like me.

That Early Days opening is really good at portraying her love of her giant robot :3:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

fartlabor

The strength of my anger will crush you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

these guys own because their technology is so poo poo like their planes have to fly around on ziplines and their tanks have to be carried around lmao

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

That Early Days opening is really good at portraying her love of her giant robot :3:

NoaXAlphonse OTP

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The first Patlabor movie is better than the second Patlabor movie by leaps and bounds.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

It's really good, you should watch it! It's, I think, the only big robots anime I've watched beside -buster and NGE

People with monogatari avatars can't lead me wrong so okay

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Oh cool it's on Hulu so I can be a lazy poo poo and just watch it there

e: The TV series that is. No idea what the recommended watching order is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch the movies

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

NoaXAlphonse OTP

:yeah:

In this time of division and competition between -monogatari characters, :) it's good to have something everyone can agree on

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
One time to mess with my little brother I started chanting "anime life" at him in a weird monotone and after a while he just went along with it and now sometimes we just yell "anime life" at each other when we see each other.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The original Patlabor OVAs lead into the movies, but aren't required viewing. The movies are both stand alone.

The TV show is its own thing as well, not that it really needed to be.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

watch the movies

Instead of the tv series?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

Oh cool it's on Hulu so I can be a lazy poo poo and just watch it there

OK so there are two different patlabor continuities. The first one has the original OVA series (sometimes called The Early Days) and all 3 movies. The second one has the television series and the second OVA series. The two continuities have different strengths and complement each other well, so if you have the time I'd suggest watching both. I think it's generally a better idea to stick to one continuity at a time.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

The first Patlabor movie is better than the second Patlabor movie by leaps and bounds.

second is the best oshii besides maybe angels egg imo

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The original Patlabor OVAs lead into the movies, but aren't required viewing. The movies are both stand alone.

The TV show is its own thing as well, not that it really needed to be.

I imagine the reason they made the TV series its own continuity is because they wanted to drawin new viewers who hadn't seen the OVA without requiring any backstory.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

OK so there are two different patlabor continuities. The first one has the original OVA series (sometimes called The Early Days) and all 3 movies. The second one has the television series and the second OVA series. The two continuities have different strengths and complement each other well, so if you have the time I'd suggest watching both. I think it's generally a better idea to stick to one continuity at a time.

I'll watch the movies then because I like short things.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

1989? I think this is the oldest anime I've ever seen. Cool

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

I think the second is the better movie, but the first is the more fun one. The second movie has a really melancholy vibe, so if I just want to have fun I'd rather rewatch the first one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

Congratulations on being a literal baby.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol erina's dad is stupid evil

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I forgot that subs used to be this ugly yellow color

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Erg posted:

lol

but really you should watch more 80s anime because there was so much good cool and creative stuff made before japans economic bubble burst

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

Congratulations on being a literal baby.

Goo goo (thank you)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Radio Spiricom posted:

I suppose the second Patlabor movie might be alright on its own merits but it's a bad Patlabor film and (in my opinion) a bad animated film, so I'm not inclined to recognize it above Oshii's other efforts.

Droyer posted:

I imagine the reason they made the TV series its own continuity is because they wanted to drawin new viewers who hadn't seen the OVA without requiring any backstory.
I don't feel like Patlabor is a particularly backstory-heavy property.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

lol

but really you should watch more 80s anime because there was so much good cool and creative stuff made before japans economic bubble burst

The 80s were the golden age of robot anime. Good times.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erg posted:

I forgot that subs used to be this ugly yellow color

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

End of Part 1.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

End of Part 1.

Use your av cert!!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This was my second favorite dumb moment in the whole show.

My first was the bit where he snaps once for coffee, twice for tea, and the new guy brings him two coffees.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Erg posted:

Watch Nausicaa after you get your fill of Patlabor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't feel like Patlabor is a particularly backstory-heavy property.

That's true, and I'm just guessing here, but I still believe they wanted a completely fresh start to draw in new viewers. I just can't think of any other reasons mostly.

• Locked thread