Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Having people required to do the entirety of a game's main story before even allowing them into expansion zones really is not ideal game design. Having them just kill the important bosses or even watch a bunch of cutscenes is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

We are all serious gamers in here.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chyea posted:

Having people required to do the entirety of a game's main story before even allowing them into expansion zones really is not ideal game design. Having them just kill the important bosses or even watch a bunch of cutscenes is enough.

They already mentioned that the next expansion is going to have an abridge version of the story quests for people to catch up on. Give people enough of the story for them to understand whats happening and how it ties to the world so things aren't lost in follow up quests. Like having my alter ego tell a quest giver that I'm sick of his poo poo and I should have left Leviathan drown him and the rest of the city in 2.1

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Chyea posted:

Hmmm, not sure I agree missing the plot in FF would be like cutting out Mark Antony's funeral speech in Julius Caesar. You would lose all of Brutus' character arc and the audience would just feel let down and cheated.

Plus it wouldn't allow developers to make poignant social commentary like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPF_bOimzM

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
So many puns...

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

lmao please explain to me what i am ""deflecting"" you sad brained twerp

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They already mentioned that the next expansion is going to have an abridge version of the story quests for people to catch up on.

So if even the venerated developers of FFXIV:ARR have agreed that abridging the story quests is a good idea, why are people still defending the current situation

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Because ffxiv goons are what they claim to hate.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tarranon posted:

lmao please explain to me what i am ""deflecting"" you sad brained twerp

sorry, your posting just blends in with all of the ff defense brigade's posting so well I couldn't tell

my b

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

also I feel like maybe you should consider not playing mmos if the result is you posting this angrily

feel free to share your thoughts, this is a safe place

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Chyea posted:

Y'know, I got back into FF14 on a new character about a month before Heavensward came out, and I was initially really worried about this too. In practice, though, it took me about 10 hours to complete and was some of the best story and group content the game had up to that point. The "capped at 50" story/dungeon/trial experience is so good that it didn't even bother me that my numbers weren't going up (well, technically they do, but you get like one level's worth of experience through the whole thing). I think it's actually a better system than the usual "welp the expansion's out so new players should just ignore all of the old level 50 content" that every other MMO does.

I do get why they'd abridge the story content in future expansions, because as the campaign length grows obviously it becomes more annoying for new players, but the current situation isn't an issue IMO. I feel like the only people I've ever seen get mad/annoyed by this are people who haven't actually tried playing through it and are just put off by the concept?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Y'know, I got back into FF14 on a new character about a month before Heavensward came out, and I was initially really worried about this too. In practice, though, it took me about 10 hours to complete and was some of the best story and group content the game had up to that point. The "capped at 50" story/dungeon/trial experience is so good that it didn't even bother me that my numbers weren't going up (well, technically they do, but you get like one level's worth of experience through the whole thing). I think it's actually a better system than the usual "welp the expansion's out so new players should just ignore all of the old level 50 content" that every other MMO does.

I do get why they'd abridge the story content in future expansions, because as the campaign length grows obviously it becomes more annoying for new players, but the current situation isn't an issue IMO. I feel like the only people I've ever seen get mad/annoyed by this are people who haven't actually tried playing through it and are just put off by the concept?

Or people who's main game was/is wow and are unable to stray from the "rush to end game so I can be bored" fun they so enjoy.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

also I feel like maybe you should consider not playing mmos if the result is you posting this angrily

feel free to share your thoughts, this is a safe place

*pulls out notebook entitled : diaries of a fail retard, skims thru the pages, makes the Jeff goldblum oh uhm ahhh noise*

Seems I've been owned

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Why don't they understand how brilliant 10 hours of mandatory max level questing is.

*sighs and places hand over his heart while looking at my sephiroth wallscroll*

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Somehow managed to double post from phone

Mmos are bad. Gw2 is probably the least bad because it is the least mmo

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tarranon posted:

*pulls out notebook entitled : diaries of a fail retard, skims thru the pages, makes the Jeff goldblum oh uhm ahhh noise*

Seems I've been owned

just like life, you found a way to be owned

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Double Monocle posted:

Why don't they understand how brilliant 10 hours of mandatory max level questing is.

*sighs and places hand over his heart while looking at my sephiroth wallscroll*

It's not just solo questing; it also includes like 3-4 dungeons and 3-4 trials. And if you don't want to do any of those things, you should not even be playing FFXIV what the heck, it's not like everyone's in it for the killer endgame of a single raid and two dungeons and mediocre-at-best PvP

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

It's not just solo questing; it also includes like 3-4 dungeons and 3-4 trials. And if you don't want to do any of those things, you should not even be playing FFXIV what the heck, it's not like everyone's in it for the killer endgame of a single raid and two dungeons and mediocre-at-best PvP

If you don't like rubbing perfume on a chocobo's rear end I don't even give a gently caress about your opinion~

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

just like life, you found a way to be owned

haha nice I get the ref

from one 90s kid to another maybe you're not such a fail brained sack of poo poo after all, since you know the good dinosaur movie :cheers:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tarranon posted:

haha nice I get the ref

from one 90s kid to another maybe you're not such a fail brained sack of poo poo after all, since you know the good dinosaur movie :cheers:

Super Mario Brothers?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hy_C posted:

FFXIV went 4 steps back from wow in terms of UI customization. Not letting you use addons to track buffs and debuffs easily is a pain in the rear end. Also you can apparently get banned or suspended if you call out someone who's getting carried if you use the information from a Parser.

What the hell does that mean? Is it possible to physically carry characters around in FFXIV and for some reason people frown upon this?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 7, 2015

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

I'm the prettiest

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Libluini posted:

What the hell does that mean? Is it possible to physically carry characters around in FFIXIV and for some reason people frown upon this?

Because if you're not super elite with the flawless gear you have no loving business being on my team so get out shitter

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Libluini posted:

What the hell does that mean? Is it possible to physically carry characters around in FFIXIV and for some reason people frown upon this?

getting carried basically means someone else carries your weight.

90% of the time its kids screaming you didnt play perfectly and scape goating you for all imagined failures.

10% of the time its the same kid wearing +healing gear on his rogue and hitting the CC monsters.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Because if you're not super elite with the flawless gear you have no loving business being on my team so get out shitter

Look, if it takes 17 minutes to clear the stupid dungeon instead of 15, then what's the loving point?

My favorite thing during the ARR launch window was the goons who either poopsocked to the level cap or were already there from 1.0 getting salty as gently caress when they'd join a dungeon group that had one, maybe two players that hadn't been at cap as long as they had been and thus didn't have gear that would let them speed through it yet. So the moment something didn't die quick enough, there'd be this smarmy-rear end comment and they'd practically look for excuses to ditch and to roll the dice on getting a group that could clear faster instead of just finishing the drat run.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Libluini posted:

Square-Enix wants Final Fantasy XIV to be a casual friendly game that anyone can play. They are okay with players using data parsers to track their own performance in high end content, but they don't want that data being used to belittle or harass other players. The way they see it is that data parsers are hostile to their goals with the game, and after seeing how it works in World of Warcraft, I don't blame them for taking that stance. Posting data parsed information in chat in-game can get your account banned in FFXIV as a result. Plus posting parser data is spam, its incredibly annoying in WoW.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 6, 2015

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

That's a great approach imo.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I have been running the goddamn goon guild for over two years now and I cannot bring myself to feel as strongly about FFXIV design decisions as some of the people in the Wildstar thread. Why are you not talking about Wildstar when the relaunch is in less than a month. Goddamnit

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Chairman posted:

I have been running the goddamn goon guild for over two years now and I cannot bring myself to feel as strongly about FFXIV design decisions as some of the people in the Wildstar thread. Why are you not talking about Wildstar when the relaunch is in less than a month. Goddamnit

Why is it whenever someone says something remotely negative about FFXIV they swarm?

But anyway until F2P actually launches I don't see much to talk about.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Anoia posted:

Why is it whenever someone says something remotely negative about FFXIV they swarm?

People are quick to defend things they enjoy and have emotional investment in, regardless of if the opposing side has a valid point. I personally don't have issue with the story thing but I'll concede that people are free to feel otherwise.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

nah it has more to do with not being able to hit dps checks on fights and having the group wipe multiple times because of it. If everyone pulled their own weight there would be no issue.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

As someone who doesn't give a poo poo either way, I'd say both sides swarm just as equally?

Wildstar is a wonderful trainwreck that keeps getting derailed by the same FFXIV topic. So many trains.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

As someone who doesn't give a poo poo either way, I'd say both sides swarm just as equally?

Wildstar is a wonderful trainwreck that keeps getting derailed by the same FFXIV topic. So many trains.

I feel like the people who swarm to keep making fun of FFXIV do it, in some small part at least, just to keep pissing off the people that swarm to defend it. That could just be my motivation, though.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The forgemaster in kelvoreth was p. metal.

Okay that was my wildstarpost hope you enjoyed!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I did, thank you!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have never played wildstar

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I feel like the people who swarm to keep making fun of FFXIV do it, in some small part at least, just to keep pissing off the people that swarm to defend it. That could just be my motivation, though.

And then an equal number of the defenders do the same thing and you end up with two smug piles of brain-damaged human filth farting aggressively into the void, claiming victory.

A charming metaphor for Wildstar when you think about it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Martout posted:

The forgemaster in kelvoreth was p. metal.

Okay that was my wildstarpost hope you enjoyed!

i know that most people seem to disagree and i can see their point but i kinda liked some of the boss fights

poo poo like that volcano boss is completely retarded and awflul but i liked the fights in the forge master dungeon, and in the dungeon with the baby dragon.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They have a raid seriously named skullcano and I can't decide if that's the best thing ever or the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Comrayn posted:

I have never played wildstar

You and 90% of the thread. :v: I don't think there's even ten people posting in this thread that play it.

e: So Wildstar has daily rewards now, which has already been mentioned. But they did a character wipe recently so that got started over.

But for some reason they changed their mind and no longer reward you on the FIRST day you play. Oh no. That's Day Zero.

That seems kind of stupid to me. Who's idea was this, Cyster?

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 7, 2015

• Locked thread