Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Rincewind posted:

Now quest mods will stick out for having two characters who speak in the base game stay silent, instead of just one!

Just use a monochrome filter and a superimpose a black screen with the dialog on it whenever anyone's talking. Boom, silent film mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Just use a monochrome filter and a superimpose a black screen with the dialog on it whenever anyone's talking. Boom, silent film mod.

Wanna download this mod

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

sector_corrector posted:

If Kojima was writing Fallout 4, then I'd have it preordered already.

Well, Kojima's out of work now, so maybe Fallout 5...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fallout 5: Substininstanance

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sector_corrector posted:

If Kojima was writing Fallout 4, then I'd have it preordered already.

Man, I'm trying to think of something worse than a game with Kojima writing without the anal retentive game design.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But isn't John Fallout already a snatcher?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Okay, so I pre-purchased Fallout 4 from GMG, and then Bethesda found another oil well to feed the Fan-Boy B8000 sweatshop so what should I do with the GMG copy?

I've considered running a competition somewhere, but I suspect the code will be locked to Australia.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Man, I'm trying to think of something worse than a game with Kojima writing without the anal retentive game design.

A Kojima fanboy attempting to emulate his hero? And failing miserably? Because he ignores everything the people in the top notch studio working with him suggest because it detracts from his vision? His vision of shunning a game control nigh vital to a 3D game while making a 3D game? And giving his protagonist a justifiable nervous breakdown without explaining to the audience that hasn't read a shittily drawn tie-in manga written years ago and not translated into other languages what that justification is, inadvertently setting gaming culture's understanding of mental illness back at least ten years? While looking like a Japanese Tommy Wiseau?

I ain't bitter.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

The Deviations posted:

A Kojima fanboy attempting to emulate his hero? And failing miserably? Because he ignores everything the people in the top notch studio working with him suggest because it detracts from his vision? His vision of shunning a game control nigh vital to a 3D game while making a 3D game? And giving his protagonist a justifiable nervous breakdown without explaining to the audience that hasn't read a shittily drawn tie-in manga written years ago and not translated into other languages what that justification is, inadvertently setting gaming culture's understanding of mental illness back at least ten years? While looking like a Japanese Tommy Wiseau?

I ain't bitter.

The gently caress are you going on about?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

"Gaming culture"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

"Gaming culture"

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I once believed that the MG series had to continue to be so popular because everyone was in on the joke that Kojima was a clownish hack and just wanted to see what he did next, but people actually believe he is as talented as he actually deludes himself to be. It's loving weird.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Kojima's a good director.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

The open world/reactive parts of MGSV so far are really well done. There's a definite enemy ecology to learn and exploit and I think that could do wonders for a game set in the Fallout universe. "Do whatever you want!" usually means that nothing off the beaten path will actually respond meaningfully to your actions, but with Kojima's need to have absolutely everything do something in the mix I could see it turning out great.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

The only drawback to a Kojima Fallout game is that we won't know if war changes or not.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I once believed that the MG series had to continue to be so popular because everyone was in on the joke that Kojima was a clownish hack and just wanted to see what he did next, but people actually believe he is as talented as he actually deludes himself to be. It's loving weird.

Its true, and its also bizarre.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cephalocidal posted:

The open world/reactive parts of MGSV so far are really well done. There's a definite enemy ecology to learn and exploit and I think that could do wonders for a game set in the Fallout universe. "Do whatever you want!" usually means that nothing off the beaten path will actually respond meaningfully to your actions, but with Kojima's need to have absolutely everything do something in the mix I could see it turning out great.

Have to admit, MGS5 was the first one in the series that caught my interest exactly because of that

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

This forever.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

Well he's talented at making weird games that are also usually good. MGS5 so far has been basically the best open world stealth game I've played in my life. Also you never know if a cutscene will have serious stuff about the war economy or if your soldiers are just throwing you a birthday party because it's your birthday in real life. Though it's hard to say how much of that is Kojima and how much of it is anyone else in the development team.

I don't think Kojima is a clownish hack. I think he's just a clown who's really good at his job.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I have never played a decent user made quest and about 99.99% of all third party VO work sounds about as pleasant as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTeXS1Q48Q

For New Vegas I enjoyed the New Bison Steve Hotel mod. The quests are decent, and the voice acting is actually not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised, in fact one bit I wasn't sure if it was part of the standard game or the mod.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Turds in magma posted:

Witcher 3 and MGS:V are better than fallout 4 will ever possibly be and both have voiced protagonists. Owned, scrubs.

Bethesda get a ton of things wrong while being fun to play, that's pretty much the exact opposite of CDPR games to me. Kudos to CDPR for bringing geralts world to life so well, I just don't get any kick at all out of being in his story.

I'll probably put a ton of time into FO4 just loving about, on the other hand.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 5, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I don't really get the "war never changes" thing. Is that a real theme in the series or just a thing they say repeatedly?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fooz posted:

I don't really get the "war never changes" thing. Is that a real theme in the series or just a thing they say repeatedly?

It's the first thing said in the first game's intro, and the first thing said in the second game's intro. Then Interplay folded and I guess Bethesda just continued the theme.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

The power one used 6 people each with 10 STR, and the diner one used 6 people with 10 in Agility. I'm not sure if luck reduces the resource timer but if it did, it probably would shift each data point equally, resulting in no real change in results.

My current fave power generator layout, [E][2.3][2.3][2.3][2.3][E]

1.1 8 food every 43 seconds
1.2 10 food every 43 seconds
1.3 12 food every 43 seconds
2.1 18 food every 43 seconds
2.2 22 food every 43 seconds
2.3 26 food every 1:04 seconds *tested multiple times
3.1 28 food every 47 seconds
3.2 34 food every 47 seconds
3.3 40 food every 45 seconds

Looks like someone transposed 4 and 6 when writing the parameters. 26 food every 46 seconds (as opposed to every 64) seems like it would fit right in there.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

KiddieGrinder posted:

For New Vegas I enjoyed the New Bison Steve Hotel mod. The quests are decent, and the voice acting is actually not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised, in fact one bit I wasn't sure if it was part of the standard game or the mod.

The Someguy series which includes the New Bison Steve are all well done. I'd also recommend the New Vegas Bounties and New Vegas Bounties II which also have a story arc to them. The Afterschool Special quest has you rebuilding the Goodsprings school into a nice little player home.

He also made New Vegas Killer, starring Bobby Bass, solid voice acting on his part and drat he is funny. Alchestbreach did a playthrough of that series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRzBehkv394

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fooz posted:

Fallout 3 is the most on the nose about it:

quote:

War. War never changes.
Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage.

In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world - but war, war never changes.

But in general it's just saying people will kill other people for resources/etc no matter what era they live in.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Fooz posted:

all the games have a big conflict happening in the background even though the world has been destroyed, so yes it is a theme.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ak Gara posted:

The power one used 6 people each with 10 STR, and the diner one used 6 people with 10 in Agility. I'm not sure if luck reduces the resource timer but if it did, it probably would shift each data point equally, resulting in no real change in results.

My current fave power generator layout, [E][2.3][2.3][2.3][2.3][E]

1.1 8 food every 43 seconds
1.2 10 food every 43 seconds
1.3 12 food every 43 seconds
2.1 18 food every 43 seconds
2.2 22 food every 43 seconds
2.3 26 food every 1:04 seconds *tested multiple times
3.1 28 food every 47 seconds
3.2 34 food every 47 seconds
3.3 40 food every 45 seconds

OTOH all my rooms are 3 wide because gently caress clicking on more rooms it's not like I'm short either space or people. I've got super reactors and cola bottlers and that's it. My vault is an experiment in diabetes.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

frajaq posted:

Have to admit, MGS5 was the first one in the series that caught my interest exactly because of that

The enemy AI is simultaneously brilliant and exploitable; I honestly can't think of a game that's handled it better. If F3/NV required the level of planning that MGSV did they would take hundreds more hours to beat. I think I'd be OK with that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rabidredneck posted:

The Someguy series which includes the New Bison Steve are all well done. I'd also recommend the New Vegas Bounties and New Vegas Bounties II which also have a story arc to them. The Afterschool Special quest has you rebuilding the Goodsprings school into a nice little player home.

He also made New Vegas Killer, starring Bobby Bass, solid voice acting on his part and drat he is funny. Alchestbreach did a playthrough of that series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRzBehkv394
The only problem I have with the Bounties series is just how on the nose they are about referencing pop culture stuff, but then again that's Fallout in a nutshell then

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Talkc posted:

I have to admit, wandering into Primm for the first time with Big Iron playing on the radio, as i murdered the ever loving gently caress out of every single powder ganger i saw, was pretty badass feeling.

The Man Who Sold the World

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

achillesforever6 posted:

The only problem I have with the Bounties series is just how on the nose they are about referencing pop culture stuff, but then again that's Fallout in a nutshell then

Main reason I still like Fallout more than Fallout 2.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sjonnar posted:

Looks like someone transposed 4 and 6 when writing the parameters. 26 food every 46 seconds (as opposed to every 64) seems like it would fit right in there.

The 2.3 Diner has the same issue.

Fooz posted:

Spoken by Ron Perlman himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA&t=99s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZxGATrB5jw&t=144s

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah... a hivemind cyborg scheming to dip people into goo seems like war changed a bit but whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think they were going with the old The History of Mankind is the History of War spiel, but whatever works for a catchphrase I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

Main reason I still like Fallout more than Fallout 2.

Yeah, Fallout 1 never had super-blatant pop culture references.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 6, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Fallout 1 never had super-blatant pop culture references.

Was it Fallout 1 or 2 with the monty python bridge?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

Was it Fallout 1 or 2 with the monty python bridge?

That was 2. 2 was heavier on the references than 1 but it's (as mentioned) basically a core part of the franchise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 6, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fooz posted:

Yeah... a hivemind cyborg scheming to dip people into goo seems like war changed a bit but whatever.

He's a dude called "The Master" that wants to make a superior race and wipe out the lesser peoples and when you push him into a corner he'll kill himself like a bitch.

Same as it ever was.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was 2. 2 was heavier on the references than 1 but it's (as mentioned) basically a core part of the franchise.

I don't think having a couple pop culture easter eggs count as being a 'core' part of the original but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

What's wrong with pop culture references? Aside from them being low hanging fruit, I mean.

• Locked thread