Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

I've learned to take stuff like that to mean "for this generation" or something similar. So "Hey, this steering feel is the best we've had in a car of this class..." kind of has to be taken to have a qualifier of "....that you can buy new/from this time period" on the end of it.

Yeah. From Chris Harris' 991 reviews, it's obvious that progress marches on. And that "buy the newest Porsche you can afford" is a truism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Man, last night reminded me why live music is so loving good. Small bar, played with dudes from way outta town, drunk 2:30AM Taco Bell picnics, gently caress yeah adulthood. If drinking piss beer at a lake resort during a sand volleyball tournament while waiting for the fish fry to be ready sounds appealing, try out Bud Bronson & the Good Timers. All their stuff's on budbronson.bandcamp.com and it is gooood.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mafoose posted:

I wish it was a boxy BF, sadly it's a BG (it's a 91). Took it on the highway yesterday, it cruises nicely at 75 despite having 88hp.

Sucks that it has some body damage, I'm the 3rd owner and it has 112k on it.
I'm doing some trade work for some 3 piece Volk wheels that I might put on it haha.

I love BGs too and have owned a bunch of them. Check out clubprotege.com, pretty good community with lots of good info and a wealth of parts if you need something that's hard to find.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
OH! I forgot -- never say that Porsches aren't practical-minded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kagxpt0tWg
When the salesguy said he was gonna bring the car off curb, I was like, where're the ramps?
They do this with the 911s, too.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I priced b&q vs travis Perkins as they're both a mile away. TP was about 10-15% cheaper but I didn't think of pricing 4.8m and cutting. TP does free delivery if you get a card with them (free) I'll check for other local yards.

It is simpler and cheaper to just price on the full 4.8m lengths (and over order as you will always use more!) and pay the delivery if necessary.

Get quotes from the indie merchants as they are often cheaper than tp/jewson/buildbase.

I live under a mile from Audley Builders Merchant who will also deliver for free if I spend over £50 (or get lucky with someone else on my road placing an order the same day)

There are also a number of timber merchants around here if you feel like trying them - though I've only used them for smaller planks (howarths in Newcastle and there are 2 or 3 in Etruria/Hanley)

If you decide you want to collect from somewhere and pickup and cut in the car park I have a caravan chassis based trailer you can borrow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There was a diesel Oldsmobile Cutlass?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CommieGIR posted:

You bet there was...it wasn't very good though. In fact it was so bad that you could make a case that it set diesel adoption in the US back by 30 years.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Reigning beer darts champ, Labor Day 2015. 5-0 :radcat:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CommieGIR posted:

Two versions even -- first the G body with the awful 5.7 V/8, then the downsized A body with the less awful 4.3 V/6

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Two versions even -- first the G body with the awful 5.7 V/8, then the downsized A body with the less awful 4.3 V/6

Yeah, someone is selling a 5.7l V8 diesel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

unless you're planning to run it as a heavily supercharged gas engine (the blocks are beefier), run the gently caress away

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

unless you're planning to run it as a heavily supercharged gas engine (the blocks are beefier), run the gently caress away

Well, no. More for the 'diesel' part of it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just ordered a front plate relocation kit. Now all I need is a front splitter/lip and I'll have the car how I want looks wise. Now, should I replace the lovely speakers and add a sub first or go straight to performance?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So about a month and a half ago, I was loving around with several of the catalogs we have at work and found some fishing reel oil in the lucas one. I decided as a joke (and a bit of practice with our factory order system) to see what kind of pricing it would be if I ordered some. Now, this was never intended to actually be ordered unless I could buy just 2-3 of them and give them as gifts since I didn't want to buy a whole case of reel oil. However I hosed up and pushed the order through while going through the options with the guy who dispatches all the drivers and does the commercial sales. After a week or so of not hearing anything about it from our DC or the corporate people who order our stock in, my store manager told me not to worry about it and it likely wouldn't come. All good right? :toot:

Apparently this thursday, a full case (20 1oz bottles) of fishing reel oil came in with no prior warning which understandably pissed the store manager off. Nobody knew/remembered who had ordered it or what the situation was until today when I noticed it and said I was 90% certain it was me and explained the situation (I hadn't been at work since tuesday). I'm not looking forward to going in monday and talking to the store manager about it. When I first hosed up and made the order, I said I'd purchase the entire case to take care of the gently caress up, but I'd really rather not spend nearly 70-80bux on a case of fancy mineral oil that will take me years to use up. Hopefully she isn't too mad and I get a chance to just try selling it to customers instead of having to buy it all myself.

(Anybody wanna buy some fancy fishing reel oil? :v: )

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't feel bad, I once ordered the wrong engine for a warranty replacement and management was none to happy with me :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had a reasonably productive afternoon working on the pickup.

With the help of a big-rear end wrench as a prybar and my wife tightening down the sliding bolt, I finally got the alternator tensioned enough that my belt stopped squealing. It had been really bad yesterday because the rain caused it to make noise whenever I started from a stop, not just when I turned on the truck.

Tracked down what seems to be the problem with the turn signals. When you push the handle to turn, it is meant to send ignition-switched power to the flasher, then route the flasher's signal out again toward the bulb. If you turn on the hazards, it takes fused battery power, sends it to the flasher, and sends that back out to both bulbs. The problem I'm having is that when signaling a turn, it's not connecting the ignition-switched power to the flasher module... no continuity between the pins. I see a connection between the flasher's signal return pin and the appropriate bulb pin, but not between power and the flasher. If I hit the hazard switch, I see a connection from battery power pin to flasher pin, because hazards work.

I also discovered that the hose for the warm air intake was totally hosed on both ends, but it was that expanding drier-hose style so I just cut off the ends, stretched it, and clamped it back on.

Then I grabbed the can of black semi-gloss and went over the bumpers, which appear to have been previously rattlecanned and were looking pretty faded. Looks good now; no pictures since it was getting dark.

Then my wife and I went for African food, jerked chicken and injera with lentils, chicken, and collard greens :getin:

Good start to the 3 day weekend. Tomorrow, I'll try to teach myself how to hand-cut mortise and tenon joints so I can build our dining room table.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Don't feel bad, I once ordered the wrong engine for a warranty replacement and management was none to happy with me :v:

We eat our mistakes here, monsieur leica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTygajaWaR0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Well, no. More for the 'diesel' part of it.

well step one is to add a water separator

e: and replace the head gaskets, and install head studs...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My house must be a Land Rover, it sprung a leak in the plumbing.

Wheee :toot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We eat our mistakes here, monsieur leica.

I'd eat an LSx or maybe a K series, no way in hell I'm eating a Renesis :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

I'd eat an LSx or maybe a K series, no way in hell I'm eating a Renesis :colbert:

It's already in convenient Dorito form.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

I'd eat a renesis, then find a B2200 to stuff it into. ROTARY TRUCK! :circlefap:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Not just any diesel... a gasoline engine retrofitted to run on diesel! that's more or less correct, I think? I would say "with predictable results" but it was actually much worse even than that, so the American car-buying public thought of that particular legendary piece of poo poo when they thought of "diesel" and the American diesel passenger car was effectively dead for a few decades after, and even now you have trucks, German stuff, and as of very recently the Chevrolet Cruze and that is absolutely it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's already in convenient Dorito form.

Not fond of the burnt oil/destroyed apex seal flavor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not just any diesel... a gasoline engine retrofitted to run on diesel! that's more or less correct, I think? I would say "with predictable results" but it was actually much worse even than that, so the American car-buying public thought of that particular legendary piece of poo poo when they thought of "diesel" and the American diesel passenger car was effectively dead for a few decades after, and even now you have trucks, German stuff, and as of very recently the Chevrolet Cruze and that is absolutely it.

Yeah, they are actually completely different blocks, it was actually a rumor that they were based on gas motors. The issue was that they used their vast knowledge of gas motors in designing the head bolts and the fuel system....which didn't help being a diesel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. My phone finally crapped out completely - while using Google Maps. The infamous Nexus 5 power button issue - the phone just kept rebooting (since it thinks I'm holding the power button all the time) until the battery died.

Made finishing the delivery I was on real interesting.

Picked up a :20bux::10bux: ZTE piece of poo poo from Wal-Mart to get me through until I can afford a Nexus 6. "4G" my rear end, it pulls 2mbit (and the resolution is so low that the speedtest.net app can't even show speeds while testing). Making the purchase more fun is I had to pay for the phone in the electronics department, and while it was in a bag with the receipt visible through the bag, I still had the cashier running the self-checkout run up to me and ask me if I rang everything up (I picked up a couple of things and went through self checkout). Showed him the receipt for the phone and said they made me pay for it in the back. Then of course the alarm goes off when I walk out, so more of the same song and dance with someone else. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 6, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The N5 is such a solid phone otherwise, which makes it's power button issue just that more stupid.

I'm jumping ship next week for more expensive pastures. :toot:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they are actually completely different blocks, it was actually a rumor that they were based on gas motors. The issue was that they used their vast knowledge of gas motors in designing the head bolts and the fuel system....which didn't help being a diesel.
Oh. Well details aside, its effects on the passenger-diesel market in America are pretty well established.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

Oh. Well details aside, its effects on the passenger-diesel market in America are pretty well established.

Oh yeah. It's screwed passenger diesel for decades.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

The N5 is such a solid phone otherwise, which makes it's power button issue just that more stupid.

I'm jumping ship next week for more expensive pastures. :toot:

Part of me wants to fix it, especially since I just put a new battery in it, but I'm not that great at soldering stuff that small (I really don't have steady hands). And I'm sure if I take it to some cellphone repair place, it'll be a $100+ repair on a phone I planned to replace soon anyway. :sigh:

I'll probably pop the back off and see if I can get the button unstuck - so I can power it on long enough to restore it to stock (or at least wipe it), then sell it as-is and mentioning "bad power switch - use it for parts, or replace the switch yourself".

I'm surprised this piece of poo poo ZTE supports Bluetooth low energy - it works just fine with my Fitbit. Which is honestly a surprise, given the fact that the camera is 2 MP and lacks a flash, the display is a laughable 3.5 inches, and the claims of "4G" on the box refer to HSPA+. It's actually fairly quick for such a cheap phone (dual core 1.2 GHz), but typing on it is an exercise in frustration due to the tiny screen. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there's no carrier bloat installed on it besides Lookout and an account usage monitor (don't need the usage monitor since my plan is unlimited everything).

e: lol looked up the specs, 320x480 screen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 6, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

Test drove a Boxster Spyder today. Handling was great, engine response and sound (with the sport exhaust mode on) were great. Suspension seemed like a decent balance between stiff and daily driveable. The shifter was really really vague. They need to do whatever Corvettes do to get some precision back.

The salesguy let me gas it going onto an onramp. It was nice and fast, but no furiosa like the Viper.

What stood out was the incredibly sensitive engine response and also pretty strong engine-braking. Gave the car a very direct feel. Steering was good, but I'd come to expect, from reading all the reviews, that this last stand for Porsche hydraulic steering was supposed to be incredible. My 944 had better steering feel (and a tighter shifter, and it was transaxle!).

Just get an s2000

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yesterday my girlfriend was helping someone clean out their car. They put a crate onto the trunk and instead of picking it up, they slid it off. It did the following:

I know the picture is kind of lovely but does anyone have any idea of what that would cost to fix? The scratches are down to the primer. The width of all of the scratches is about half of a foot, maybe a little more.

In other automotive news, I finally replaced the hood rod prop in the Miata. I'm hoping to do spark plugs, spark plug wires, and an oil change tomorrrow. This is the my first time doing any of those so I hope I don't gently caress up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Part of me wants to fix it, especially since I just put a new battery in it, but I'm not that great at soldering stuff that small (I really don't have steady hands). And I'm sure if I take it to some cellphone repair place, it'll be a $100+ repair on a phone I planned to replace soon anyway. :sigh:

Kind of rambling here, but I just realized N5's with broken screens are going for less than $100 on both Amazon and eBay. If I can verify they have clean ESNs, it's tempting to snag one and just swap the motherboard over, since the power button is soldered to the board. I know it's an issue that'll eventually return, but I'm not scared of swapping the motherboard (and I already want to throw this ZTE piece of poo poo through the wall). I had it out when I replaced the battery (didn't have to come out, just wanted to see how easy it came out), so I'm not scared of swapping it. Only worried about getting one with a blacklisted ESN, since the IMEI/ESN follows the board.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Kind of rambling here, but I just realized N5's with broken screens are going for less than $100 on both Amazon and eBay. If I can verify they have clean ESNs, it's tempting to snag one and just swap the motherboard over, since the power button is soldered to the board. I know it's an issue that'll eventually return, but I'm not scared of swapping the motherboard (and I already want to throw this ZTE piece of poo poo through the wall). I had it out when I replaced the battery (didn't have to come out, just wanted to see how easy it came out), so I'm not scared of swapping it. Only worried about getting one with a blacklisted ESN, since the IMEI/ESN follows the board.

Send your old phone to TT to get soldermonkey'd for cheap? :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Doesn't seem like it's a good idea to fix a phone that you know you're going to replace.

How long until you think you can get the funds for a N6? It looks like they're clearing stock quickly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

Yesterday my girlfriend was helping someone clean out their car. They put a crate onto the trunk and instead of picking it up, they slid it off. It did the following:

I know the picture is kind of lovely but does anyone have any idea of what that would cost to fix? The scratches are down to the primer. The width of all of the scratches is about half of a foot, maybe a little more.

What kind of car? If it's a common car and a common color, just getting a junkyard trunk lid might be cheaper than trying to have it refinished. If it's down to primer there's not much you can do but that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

It is simpler and cheaper to just price on the full 4.8m lengths (and over order as you will always use more!) and pay the delivery if necessary.

Get quotes from the indie merchants as they are often cheaper than tp/jewson/buildbase.

I live under a mile from Audley Builders Merchant who will also deliver for free if I spend over £50 (or get lucky with someone else on my road placing an order the same day)

There are also a number of timber merchants around here if you feel like trying them - though I've only used them for smaller planks (howarths in Newcastle and there are 2 or 3 in Etruria/Hanley)

If you decide you want to collect from somewhere and pickup and cut in the car park I have a caravan chassis based trailer you can borrow.

Good advice, thanks. I'll remember the trailer as well, I knew I'd got a good reason to own a battery sabre saw.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

Doesn't seem like it's a good idea to fix a phone that you know you're going to replace.

How long until you think you can get the funds for a N6? It looks like they're clearing stock quickly.

If I push some bills back, Tuesday afternoon. If I'm responsible and pay bills on time, 2 weeks from Tuesday.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Finished Mad Max tonight!

Final boss fight was loving stupid, but otherwise the game is super rad. Tomorrow I guess i'll get started on clearing out all the optional side stuff :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My house must be a Land Rover, it sprung a leak in the plumbing.

Wheee :toot:

Welcome to home ownership. :toot:

Where was the leak? Probably copper?

LloydDobler posted:

What kind of car? If it's a common car and a common color, just getting a junkyard trunk lid might be cheaper than trying to have it refinished. If it's down to primer there's not much you can do but that.

Yeah, no real repair short of a respray, but the scratches would mostly come out. I'd probably use Dr. Colorchip and it'd be almost unnoticeable after a few applications build up.

Edit: Bad day for rally racing. :(
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34165776

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 6, 2015

• Locked thread