Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ghost Babel is actually a REALLY good Metal Gear game. It just has a very pants-on-head crazy plot, some very frustrating mazes, and a storyline that makes it clear that the ratings board stopped very early into the game before slapping on their "E for Everybody" rank. The gameplay itself is tight as hell, and there's never any cruel, unfair spots in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Ghost Babel is actually a REALLY good Metal Gear game. It just has a very pants-on-head crazy plot, some very frustrating mazes, and a storyline that makes it clear that the ratings board stopped very early into the game before slapping on their "E for Everybody" rank. The gameplay itself is tight as hell, and there's never any cruel, unfair spots in the game.
Box maze. Admittedly, that's more frustrating than cruel. But apart from that yeah, it's really good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I was including that in the "frustrating mazes" comment. But it's one of the highlights of this stream I assure you. Not THE highlight, but it's up there.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Have I rated this 5 and mentioned that it is a good lp yet?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Dan, are you planning to do the final 40+ minute cutscene blitz in a single sitting?

Because I think that may actually kill you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ironslave posted:

Dan, are you planning to do the final 40+ minute cutscene blitz in a single sitting?

If he survives, only one drinking game rule can possibly kill him.

Every time during a cutscene/codec, that Snake Grunts, groans, or makes a pained sound.

Though joking aside, I am wondering what will be done with the "ration" rule when they hit MGS3. Considering how much eating can be involved in that game.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Ironslave posted:

Speaking of super long cutscenes does anyone know if MGS5 has cutscenes that put MGS4's to shame?

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Ironslave posted:

Speaking of super long cutscenes does anyone know if MGS5 has cutscenes that put MGS4's to shame?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Rumbles from the Steam thread tell me there's supposed to be less.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Rumbles from the Steam thread tell me there's supposed to be less.

It's nowhere near as cutscene heavy, no.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

If he survives, only one drinking game rule can possibly kill him.

Every time during a cutscene/codec, that Snake Grunts, groans, or makes a pained sound.

Though joking aside, I am wondering what will be done with the "ration" rule when they hit MGS3. Considering how much eating can be involved in that game.

For MGS3 I'm thinking I'll go with the 1 eat = one drink rule, but only have one drinking word, Shagohod.

Our next session will be arsenal straight to the end in the next couple days. I'll be ready :getin:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

For MGS3 I'm thinking I'll go with the 1 eat = one drink rule, but only have one drinking word, Shagohod.

Our next session will be arsenal straight to the end in the next couple days. I'll be ready :getin:
Aww. How about "nuclear"?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I nominate "CQC" as a drinking word.

Also, I demand you catch the tsutchinoko.

And eat it.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Choco1980 posted:

I nominate "CQC" as a drinking word.

Also, I demand you catch the tsutchinoko.

And eat it.

I seriously think he should legit order sake for 3 considering MGS3 devotes part of a cutscene to saying how awesome japanese products are. And also probably a Calorie Mate but that's because those are actually good products.

As for drinking conditions, I got one that's only suggested because you really should be punished for it: if you get shot by The End, you have to take a shot to take the dart out. Or just keep taking drinks to eat the stamina loss away.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Danaru posted:

Aw, you'll be sober the entire time. How about Sokolov as well?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pointlessone posted:

Aw, you'll be sober the entire time. How about Sokolov as well?

You underestimate how many alerts I'll be getting, I'm not good at MGS3

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Danaru posted:

Kuwabara or however it's spelled should be there too! I still don't know why the main badguy was so into Yuyu Hakusho anyway.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Philosopher.

For your sanity, only after the Shagohod is destroyed. Might as well make the ending a bit more interesting.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

"Russian"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Any feeling or emotion when mentioned with "the" in front of it. So you drink when the names of the Cobra Unit members are mentioned, but also when they are used normally in a sentence without referring to the bosses.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mikl posted:

Any feeling or emotion when mentioned with "the" in front of it. So you drink when the names of the Cobra Unit members are mentioned, but also when they are used normally in a sentence without referring to the bosses.

Which means each Cobra Unit is a good four or five drinks just during their death explosion. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

"I'm no alcoholic! Let's develop a drinking problem whilst playing the Metal Gear Solid series"

Is what this has slowly morphed into :v:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
A sip from a back-up drink everytime Snake asks "How is it taste?".

Or a drink everytime Snake goes gun-sperg or Eva flaunts her boobs.

Edit: Also, a shot everytime you fall into a trap (electric/snare/mine/hole).

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 6, 2015

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
How about a drink for every time you have to do some first aid on Snake?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Take a drink every time Ocelot either tries to impress Snake or admits that Snake is pretty good.

Clark_Mk_IV
May 30, 2008

Danaru posted:

You underestimate how many alerts I'll be getting, I'm not good at MGS3

You can either crawl around at the speed of ground, or move faster but get seen by guys halfway across the map. One is how the game wants you to play, the other results in a fun playing experience and videos.

With how the alert loop works in this game, and how you take another drink if the timer goes below alert and you get seen again, you probably won't need any drinking words. Besides, it seems more fun for it to be your own screw ups that result in you getting screwed up; going by what I saw during Ghost Babel at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dan the drinking stuff is fun and while drunk you playing is fun to listen to, it is not very fun to watch. I am probably in the minority with this opinion.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well then it's a good thing there are so many cutscenes in MGS4, we will be spared most of the drunk gameplay and just experience the drunk commentary

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The gameplay is really the only thing I bring to the table, aside from the capture card :( Grace brings 100% of the humour and personality.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

ChaosArgate posted:

Take a drink every time Ocelot either tries to impress Snake or admits that Snake is pretty good.

What about when Ocelot thinks he's a cat.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Danaru posted:

The gameplay is really the only thing I bring to the table, aside from the capture card :( Grace brings 100% of the humour and personality.

what if we were wrong, and dan is the patriot ai, and grace is snake

food for thought

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

You MOSTLY know what you are doing, which makes for a nice contrast between "What the gently caress is this idiot doing" playthroughs and "Danaru's GZ run is over before you know it" playthroughs

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

CJacobs posted:

Dan the drinking stuff is fun and while drunk you playing is fun to listen to, it is not very fun to watch. I am probably in the minority with this opinion.

Yes. Yes you are. :colbert:

By God, I came here to see a man play Metal Gear and develop alcoholism, and that's what I'm going to get! :argh:

Danaru posted:

Now, now. Drunk Danaru has plenty of personality. :v:

But really, Grace is golden. Wish I had a great girlfriend who would watch me get drunk and play Metal Gear Solid... :smith:

Just do not cross the streams and try to get Grace drunk while you play.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Ghost Babel Episode 2 - Snake Motel:siren:

The current plan is to release a Ghost Babel episode every two days, while keeping MGS2 on it's normal 3-day schedule.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 12 - Shut Up, Anime :siren:

We make fun of it, but when Emma talks about how there are 26 letters but there could be other ones, the phrase "LaLiLuLeLo" are five 'impossible letters' in the Japanese language, that got a little lost in translation since our alphabets are different, but it's kinda like what Emma's talking about. :tinfoil:

So we actually only got two episodes done this session because the recording hosed up and also the game saved during the second episode, so we lost some footage :froggonk: I'll find some way to make up for it, we have a couple ideas. We'll also be recording tonight where with any luck we'll be able to beat the game, so that botched session shouldn't effect the schedule :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I somehow forgot how blatant her thing for Otacon was. Also I had a really tough time with this section for some reason. I never knew about the Pentazamin thing either.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fun fact, if you're a dick you can tranq Emma so she goes to sleep. She likes to talk in her sleep, often creepily pining for Otacon (where the bird learned "Hal...? Hal...?") and wondering aloud if Raiden's wearing a wig.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Emma can't die soon enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Emma's death is the only MGS death that has ever made me sad. I'm not looking forward to that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Emma's death is the only MGS death that has ever made me sad. I'm not looking forward to that episode.
Yeah, I remember it being pretty impactful the first time I played. I think it's because most games didn't really try to go for emotional scenes back then, so it was still fresh.

Her design and pretty much the entire idea are horrible, though.

edit: Actually, there's one interesting part about this sequence: this is literally the only time in the game we see Raiden in a position of strength. And what do you know, he's a pretty nice and caring fellow. Hate Emma if you will (sure as hell can't blame you for that) but she allows Jack to show his human side in a nice bit of character development.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2015