Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

It's standard ettiquette: whenever something goes wrong or there is something you just don't like, you blame Tumblr for it. It's always Tumblr.

Once, I met someone who legitimately, actually thought that the concept of "white privilege" was invented by tumblr

(an astonishing number of people think this about the word "cisgender" too)

mycot posted:

Note that nobody cares about the comic. The nose is literally the only interesting thing about it.

Yeah the comic itself is kind of bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

majormonotone posted:

Once, I met someone who legitimately, actually thought that the concept of "white privilege" was invented by tumblr

(an astonishing number of people think this about the word "cisgender" too)

This is not surprising. All too often words, people, concepts, etc. are thought to have been created by that which made them most popular.

I know several people who were honestly surprised to find out that certain songs were not in fact made just for TV show titles.

In fact I know people who still think that Cleveland Rocks was written by POTUSA.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

majormonotone posted:

Yeah the comic itself is kind of bland

I found it moderately amusing.

Though mostly it just makes me wonder what Ms. Heckman found so objectionable. Mr cartoonist please track down your primary school teacher and write a follow up comic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lemony Snicket doing weird things like that owned, what a silly teacher

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One time he filled two whole pages with the word "ever"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some people like formatting tricks and some people dismiss them as gimmicks, if you've ever talked with someone about House of Leaves you've been there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the teacher just didn't want a classroom full of excitable tots to skip writing assignments in lieu of scribbling over the entire paper in black crayon regardless of whether the joke made sense or was even attempted.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Regy Rusty posted:

Lemony Snicket doing weird things like that owned, what a silly teacher

Heh, horrible things are happening for no reason!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Help I can't tell who's being ironic at who anymore.

e: Pretend I made a Jeph Jacques joke to keep this shitposting going

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 5, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Speaking of comics about birds, Astral Aves has given us a new one to love.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Help I can't tell who's being ironic at who anymore.

e: Pretend I made a Jeph Jacques joke to keep this shitposting going

I finally deleted QC from my bookmarks the other day after reading it for almost eight years. I just couldn't loving take it anymore

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

majormonotone posted:

I finally deleted QC from my bookmarks the other day after reading it for almost eight years. I just couldn't loving take it anymore

At least the Sven plot is over, and it wasn't too bad as long as you pretend that Sven commited some kind of actual wrong for this mutual apology to be about.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Did you guys know that Hyperbole and a Half made a book? Because holy poo poo did it make my day.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Did you guys know that Hyperbole and a Half made a book? Because holy poo poo did it make my day.

Yeah, several years ago, and she's been largely silent since then. No posts on the blogspot in 2 years, nothing on the facebook in over a year (where she said she was writing a new blog post and a second book), nothing on twitter in almost a year. Considering how deep her depression went, I'm getting worried again. :ohdear:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
She's been on geek and sundry recently so I assume she's doing pretty well for herself

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I think doing the comic in and of itself wasnt good for her, so she stopped

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Rei_ posted:

I think doing the comic in and of itself wasnt good for her, so she stopped

Huh. I thought the comic was one of the ways she vented.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Not all forms of gaining personal validation are healthy. Most of the ones involving the internet aren't.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I hope she made lots of money with the book at least.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Man, why does Poppy have to swing so hard between awesome and sad?

"Oh hey, thanks for saving our lives from that dragon, unfortunately I had to tell your child she won't live long enough to become a doctor and now she's feeling lovely and starting fights"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Because racism. On which note, I'm pretty pleased to see Poppy continue to somewhat realistically incorporate those issues (with a side of whatever it is you'd call prejudice and phobia toward the disabled) without being a hamfisted allegory for America's race problems.

I'm interested to see which way it'll go in the long run, if we're leading up to some kind of fantastic resolution of that whole mess or whether things will continue to be largely poo poo for possums but we get a believable "good enough" ending for the ones we're following.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 6, 2015

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Octopus Pie takes a temporary vacation from experimentally-framed loneliness to be dumb and silly and it is wonderful:
http://www.octopuspie.com/2015-09-05/827-828-yeah-man/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Because racism.

It's more like age-ism in this case, really. Although, Lily has proven to be a bit of a prodigy, so who knows? Maybe she'll be able to beat out the clock.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's more like age-ism in this case, really. Although, Lily has proven to be a bit of a prodigy, so who knows? Maybe she'll be able to beat out the clock.

no it's pretty straight up racism

did you not catch the bit where all her friends are making fun of her behind her back, and her teacher accuses her of cheating because she does well on tests. and like, nobody wants the possums to do anything or be anywhere, and Poppy is only kinda accepted because she's Superman

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Not all forms of gaining personal validation are healthy. Most of the ones involving the internet aren't.

But I like her stories alot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

But I like her stories alot.

Her stories alot is the best.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today in Girl Genius: a chekhov's gun has clearly just gone off yet I have no idea what they're talking about.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Girl Genius: I have no idea what they're talking about.

FTFY.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Today in Girl Genius: a chekhov's gun has clearly just gone off yet I have no idea what they're talking about.

Isn't she carrying around Tarveks notebook?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think they're thinking about van Rijn's notes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Same thing, Tarvek had been using Van Rijn's notebook for a while now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Let's talk about a comic that's actually awesome:

Deathbulge is so good. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Darn it Abbadon, post the Patreon already, I've been waiting all day :(

EDIT: And now I'm your first patron! :toot:

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Lord of Hats posted:

Full time updates is so far away :ohdear:

Conscript Six Billion Patrons

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Autonomous Monster posted:

Full time updates is so far away :ohdear:

Conscript Six Billion Patrons

It's been up for 10 minutes :)

Thanks for your support, it means a ton to me, hopefully I can reach my weird dream and crank out this comic full time like a crazy man.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I can't believe Coca-Cola is fanfic trash

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lord of Hats posted:

A link is in order.

I've pitched in my demon dollars.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I said it when the chapter title page went up, and I'll say it again now: Cio's outfit is great.

Also, congrats on getting your patreon up, Abbadon!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Closing in on an extra update already. May you reach concordance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

idonotlikepeas posted:

Closing in on an extra update already. May you reach concordance.

The threshold is passed. Reach Heaven through Violence.

• Locked thread