Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

noirstronaut posted:

ps3 games are only good if you like everything to look like mud slathered with pus and uncharted/anime

But the Wii-U Has Devil's Third, SMTXFire Emblem, and Xenoblade X. And not only that one of the games for the wii-u has you slather body fluids over everything already.

There is no room to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

But the Wii-U Has Devil's Third, SMTXFire Emblem, and Xenoblade X. And not only that one of the games for the wii-u has you slather body fluids over everything already.

There is no room to talk.

1/3rd of the games you just listed might be good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Might"? Devil's Third is out now, you don't need to speculate anymore.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
#FE us gonna own for finally allowing me the chance to experience texting with friends.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

#FE us gonna own for finally allowing me the chance to experience texting with friends.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The PS3 can play all the Platinum games the Wii U doesn't have, besides infinite space. If you haven't beaten Vanquish or Metal Gear Rising yet, you should be doing so immediately.

Also, the Vita had two kinds of memory cards, one type that you'd buy physical games on and another that would be used as the system storage and hold digital games. It wasn't buying games on cartridges that was horrifically overpriced, it was getting a card big enough to hold all your digital PS1/PSP/Vita games. The Wii U lets you expand the storage with any cheap USB HDD, so that wouldn't be the issue.

However, is there that much of an advantage to playing games directly off a flash card compared to a hard drive? 3DS and Vita games still have loading times, and probably aren't nearly as fast as an SSD drive. The other consoles just install everything from game discs to the hard drive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My feeling on Platinum games is I enjoy watching them much more than playing them. Thanks Chip and Ironicus

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

sell me your vita

[img-bonzisbuddies.gif]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a PS3 and Wii U and they both own

(however I mostly use the PS3 to play PS2 games)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

codenameFANGIO posted:

[img-bonzisbuddies.gif]

i miss it

also i miss the bowser tag

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

japtor posted:

Giant Bomb concurs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQF9zWVsZk

(but recorded sounds don't go online :()

Holy poo poo LMAO pro-click

I get it now... SMM's release will have the effects of an inverted 9/11/01

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 6, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I called Nintendo about the physical ideas book that you can get if you buy a digital copy of the game and was told it was on back order because "it's turning out to be more popular than they expected." Oh Nintendo.

They also changed the hold music from the OoT Hyrule field theme to something that sounds like it came from a Metroid game. I don't know why I notice these little things while forgetting to do important life stuff but video gamez I guess.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I called their sales last week and was surprised to hear they used the default Cisco call manager music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I called Nintendo about the physical ideas book that you can get if you buy a digital copy of the game and was told it was on back order because "it's turning out to be more popular than they expected." Oh Nintendo.

They also changed the hold music from the OoT Hyrule field theme to something that sounds like it came from a Metroid game. I don't know why I notice these little things while forgetting to do important life stuff but video gamez I guess.

Is the default Cisco hold system music. There's a whole episode of this American Life about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

[img-bonzisbuddies.gif]

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
That is some foreboding hold music. Bring back Zelda. Or use the Delphino Plaza music from Sunshine.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

greatn posted:

Is the default Cisco hold system music. There's a whole episode of this American Life about it.

The single most NPR'ish story of all time.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I picked up Wind Waker after a year or so and I have no idea what I was doing in it, sailed around for an hour. The boat says I'm supposed to find a new sage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Doesn't the map blink at you to tell you where to go?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

There's a windy looking blue blinky triangle, I didn't see anything when I went there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

There's a windy looking blue blinky triangle, I didn't see anything when I went there.

Feed the fish in that area and he'll point you to the item you need to progress.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

Feed the fish in that area and he'll point you to the item you need to progress.

He just tells you about the island he's near and then he tells you to shoot arrows at him. I dunno, I read a gamefaq just now and it says to go to the doko tree and play the wind song. I'm not sure I can pick this game up again after so long. I don't even know what a sage is. The game is talking to me in code.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Wind Waker is th e easiest of Zeldas.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Nolgthorn posted:

He just tells you about the island he's near and then he tells you to shoot arrows at him. I dunno, I read a gamefaq just now and it says to go to the doko tree and play the wind song. I'm not sure I can pick this game up again after so long. I don't even know what a sage is. The game is talking to me in code.

This is my problem with Zelda, and pretty much all adventure, games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

3DS cartridges are about 4GB, yeah. I mean you can obviously make cartridges that take more space but it starts to get exponentially more expensive to do this. So the trade off is that you have to accept that you cant develop these huge 10GB+ games.

What? That doesn't make sense at all, that's like saying that the Wii U can be no more powerful than an nes because it can run nes games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Chill Penguin posted:

This is my problem with Zelda, and pretty much all adventure, games.
that your brain doesnt work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raditts posted:

What? That doesn't make sense at all, that's like saying that the Wii U can be no more powerful than an nes because it can run nes games.

No it makes sense, you're just ignorant to what we are talking about.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

that your brain doesnt work?

They're oldies with alzheimer's

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

No it makes sense, you're just ignorant to what we are talking about.

You're probably right and I'm probably retarded so please dumb it down for me.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

raditts posted:

He's talking about the actual cost of the solid-state cards themselves, which are exponentially more expensive than discs. There may also be issues addressing more than 4GB of memory on a single 3DS card, but I'm not as well-versed on that.

If there isn't, though, then someone could make a 10+ gigabyte 3DS game, sure... and people would have to pay a hundred dollars for it. Honestly the only reason current handhelds use cards is because optical technology isn't that ideal for a handheld (the PSP ultimately proved that, despite how well it did in Japan) and even today making everything digital-download and pushing buying storage media off on the consumer is a dicey proposition on several fronts.

And to address the original point, the desktop NX would never use card media in any event, as optical media is ideal for home non-travel use. If the theories about the NX being a unified architecture for a desktop and a handheld are true, we'll have to see what storage solution they go with on the handheld - the cards are ultimately most ideal from an ease-of-use standpoint, but the price of production has been a big sticking point with smaller publishers in particular for longer than I've even been in the industry.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

carts vs cds 21st century edition, will the battle never end?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zas posted:

carts vs cds 21st century edition, will the battle never end?

Brief realtalk: for handheld/mobile devices, not for the forseeable future. A lot of the same properties that make optical media so good for desktop machines make it questionable technology for a portable device... but cartridge media is always going to be a hell of a lot more expensive to produce and rather punitive for smaller print runs as a result, making it harder for smaller publishers to do reasonable print runs of smaller, focused-interest games. Phones have it a little different as they can pretty much mandate 100% internet connectivity by fiat and thus the games can be digi-distro by default and the cost of storage media goes to the consumer in obtaining a general storage card, but for discrete devices, it'll always be a debate with no 100% perfect answer.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Small games don't bother with discs anymore, either, though?? This thread sometimes feels like a weird time capsule where digital distribution hasn't become the norm for everything, even 80gb games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bass Bottles posted:

Small games don't bother with discs anymore, either, though?? This thread sometimes feels like a weird time capsule where digital distribution hasn't become the norm for everything, even 80gb games.

This is a videogame system that has multiplayer games released for it without any online connectivity present.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Do ppl only own Nintendo consoles

Is that the reason

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Digital-only games on any dedicated handheld, not just Nintendo hardware, tend to be incredibly hit-or-miss and also often faces surprising amounts of backlash from a subset of gamers who are heavily against not having a physical copy to potentially sell/trade in later on. Phones are, like I mentioned, a far different beast.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Phone and Tablet games are for people who enjoy the taste of mass produced piss like Coors Light.

You're appealing to people who have no standards and are just slightly above most animals.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People who care about games not getting a physical release are a crazy small but vocal minority. Digital only makes more sense for handhelds because it increases their portability and the game sizes tend to be relatively small.
The biggest problem would be losing support from physical stores, which could be offset by them selling download codes, which a lot already do.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I set out to pick up New Super Mario Bros U again to beat it before Mario Maker. Just beat it today, and the New gameplay finally clicked with me. I've played the rest, but mostly out of a need to play Mario and never really loved them, but something clicked (once I changed the controls) and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

People who care about games not getting a physical release are a crazy small but vocal minority.

This isn't true at all., what dimension are you living in?

People want physical releases because that means they have backup just in case data goes bonkers or whatever. This is why PSN has a ton of sales so you're only paying under 5 bucks for digital release games because they know that most people are not going to throw down 60 bucks for a brand new digital release.

And if people didn't want physical game related stuff, poo poo like Skylanders and Amiibos would not have taken off. Because guess what? Those are Physical game releases taken to the extreme. They're 15 dollar DLC that have a physical form. Collector's Editions are another thing that people actively want.

• Locked thread