Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Evilreaver posted:

I've always wondered what happened after that. Do they write everything off as lost? Do they have some guys sort out the destroyed stuff from the damaged stuff from the "we can still sell it" stuff? How long did it take them to dig the driver out?

I worked for a automotive supply warehouse briefly, and virtually every box/crate/pallet there weighed a goddamn ton and it looked very similar to that gif, aside from the collapse anyway.

I used to be a warehouse manager and have experienced many a row collapse. Never anything as excessive like the video, but still huge piles on the ground. In general, because of the packaging and stacking, the product is fine. It's just a half day taken up by re-stacking which fucks the supply chain. It is solvable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

When I worked at the Beer store over the summer, we regularly stacked pallets of cans 3 high right before long weekends.

Yeah; in fairness it's pretty drat stable such that a person isn't going to tip it over themselves, but instead of 3 high go 5 high and then watch someone move the entire 5-high stack with a forklift by sliding it along the floor because it takes too long to unstack it all over the floor and restack it just to get one of the pallets behind it. :stare:

Other important things I learned by watching / hearing / seeing the damage:

If you forget you have a really tall wrapped pallet of macaroni and cheese elevated and you try to go from the backroom to the sales floor with it and hit the wall above the door, that poo poo will accordion something fierce, crushing 50% of the boxes.
If you aren't paying attention, it's easy to sheer off the sprinkler head in the freezer with a pallet and turn the freezer into an ice rink.
If you try to take a forklift out onto the asphalt outside and then try to lift something heavy, you'll sink into the asphalt and be stuck.

And also probably avoid doing this:

:3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Awful app fail. Ignore this post. (And all my others.)

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Other important things I learned by watching / hearing / seeing the damage:

If someone obliterates the rolling door with a forklift and no safety meeting gets called and no one gets fired and it is quietly replaced, it was probably the warehouse manager.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
My favorite thing at my job (I'm a production manager at a 20mil+ manufacturing facility) is that you get written up for doing damage with the forklift if you report that you did it along with a drug test.

So there is zero incentive to reporting yourself for the damage. One of my techs had the forks too low and one of the steel covers for the electrical wiring runs out to the floor sticks up 1/2" and he bent the poo poo out of a fork because he hooked the plate. Write up.

I forget to file them with HR for permanent keeping provided it wasn't something truly dangerous. If on the story above he hit something with the forks at waist height it'd be entirely different story.

Edit:
Write ups are a major major deal at my company which is why you'd be screwed if something circumstantial were permanently held against you. You're supposed to drive with the forks low and we fixed the steel plate after it happened. Because of my reasonable policy I'm the only one who's team actually reports their accidents.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2015

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

c0ldfuse posted:

Edit:
Write ups are a major major deal at my company which is why you'd be screwed if something circumstantial were permanently held against you. You're supposed to drive with the forks low and we fixed the steel plate after it happened. Because of my reasonable policy I'm the only one who's team actually reports their accidents.

I remember the same warehouse manager I mentioned whipping around a corner at top speed with no horn and forks at head level a few feet from me, staring blankly when I jump out of the way, like, "Huh, no one was supposed to be standing there."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My my company has a policy of using a spotter to back up trucks. My spotter was guiding me (at night in our parking lot they refuse to replace the burnt out bulbs for because hey! The trucks have headlights!) and I made contact with another's truck footstep with mine. I felt them contact, stopped the truck, adjusted and parked the truck. My spotter was like oops, sorry didn't notice. I reported the damage to the mechanic, he fixed it with a forklift. The paint wasn't even scratched.

I got a write up with the same penalty as a full blown crash totaling a truck.
"you should have known better than to trust your spotter"....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My workplace doesn't have forklifts (though we do train people on them). We've permanently got a Terex boom truck and a Broderson IC-80 carry deck crane in the garage out back, which are used both for practical exams and general lifting and transport on the field (though the Broderson is the only thing that actually gets used regularly for transporting poo poo like barrels and pipes for challenges, we spent a good half a year with it out of commission and had to use the boom truck for even mild tasks like hauling wooden boards and empty oil drums). One time the roll-up door on the garage wasn't rolled up all the way and it only just barely clears the boom truck when all the way up. Crash, replace the door.

The most OSHA thing to happen so far was something breaking in the garage (like a light or sensor or something, don't remember what because I wasn't working there at the time) and the 80-year-old instructor allowed a student to climb the ladder to fix it. Of course, he broke his leg falling off. And then some people moved him without knowing whether or not he had any back injuries. We avoided a lawsuit, but it's become a lasting bit of dark humor at work because of how incredibly stupid it was.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Forklift chat: you guys need to come out to cargo city at Miami International sometime. It's basically a bunch of airplanes, plus a whole shitload of ten ton forklifts with extended load forks, driven exclusively by Venezuelans on their cellphones (they're always on their cellphones, without exception,) with no seat belts, driving backwards without looking, flat out.

Miami is a loving third world country, is what I'm saying.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I am friendly with a guy whose brother was killed - he worked at a place that made gabions (the wire cages full of stones) and they were stacked 5 high.
Not so bad until the forklift guy on the other side of the aisle knocks the top one off while trying to lift it, and suddenly a tonne or two of stone lands right on you.
They pretty much called an ambulance, lifted the gabion off him, then the ambulance guys sorta shovelled his remains off the concrete floor. A quick death, I suppose, that would be the only thing positive you could say about it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

RNG posted:

If someone obliterates the rolling door with a forklift and no safety meeting gets called and no one gets fired and it is quietly replaced, it was probably the warehouse manager.

Ha I did that once when I was a young lad. That forklift mast was taller than it looked!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The door for the store I work at has been hit numerous times with the forklift and every time we just take a mallet and hammer it back "straight". It's not exactly in great condition anymore but it still works!

Somehow I've managed to be one of very few people that haven't smashed the door with the forklift.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bay door is really just an optimistic name for fork target.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Beware of shoddy roof construction...

... In this case, the negligence inclusion of an angry Panther in the ceiling cavity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

And I thought raccoons were bad.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Say Nothing posted:

... In this case, the negligence inclusion of an angry Panther in the ceiling cavity.

Haha I love how a bewildered animal suddenly finds itself surround by dozens of strange creatures and decides, gently caress it, Imma just attack one.

What a loving badass

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Haha I love how a bewildered animal suddenly finds itself surround by dozens of strange creatures and decides, gently caress it, Imma just attack one.

What a loving badass

I have a lab-mastiff mutt and a boxer*... and a tiny female calico that takes poo poo from no creature.

The tiny cat rules the house.

* - well.. had. We had to put him down last week because cancer.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

And they say squirting is a myth.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

And they say squirting is a myth.

It's obviously really just pee coming out of there.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

From the way the fire chases the people, I'm guessing some kind of heavier than air gas or vaporized fuel?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

C.M. Kruger posted:

The British TV series Beyond 2000 did a short segment on the thing in 1985, a year before it crashed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xPAm1Xo3Q

British?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

From the way the fire chases the people, I'm guessing some kind of heavier than air gas or vaporized fuel?

Feel bad for the dude that was taught to run toward giant fireballs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

It must be significantly denser because it didn't explode, so the mixed layer between the air and the fuel is pretty tiny.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Feel bad for the dude that was taught to run toward giant fireballs.

It looks like he thought hiding behind the car would help for some reason.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Watch for the fire trail the last guy leaves by stirring up the gas with his feet.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

TVs Ian posted:

It looks like he thought hiding behind the car would help for some reason.

I just assumed that back car was his and he thought he could save it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Good thing the first guy who gets lit up didn't stop drop and roll :stonk:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Somebody prep the blue tarps.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Say Nothing posted:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

There's a career for me in this roof

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... You're gonna see some serious poo poo"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did... did they leave it in neutral and not use tie down bolts?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Say Nothing posted:

That's not how you do the Harlem Shake at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

What's the problem here, they've got safety cones out. :shepface:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mo_Steel posted:

What's the problem here, they've got safety cones out. :shepface:

Yeah, it's not even a metal ladder! Looks kosher to me.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Guy on the left looks like he's about to do something to prank this entire setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Safety cones are useful, but if you really want carte blanche to to something crazy you need red/black or red/white danger tape. Like the "police line do not cross" tape but it's red or red and white.

• Locked thread