Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Bongo Bill posted:

Mine's Marche.

Marche is fun because you spend the entire game trying to destroy the world while also committing grand theft and mass murder. And he's still the hero of that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

marche is the hero of ffta

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he's right that his friends shouldn't keep hanging out in the fake world

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

marche is the hero of ffta

the hero of ffta is montblanc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
marche is railing against people using videogames as escapism, of course everyone here thinks he's the villain

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Countblanc posted:

the hero of ffta is montblanc

So central to the plot that you can kill him off and nobody ever comments. :smuggo:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So central to the plot that you can kill him off and nobody ever comments. :smuggo:

It's a heroic sacrifice so Marche can continue on his noble quest. It's a sign of true friendship and courage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Marche is fun because you spend the entire game trying to destroy the world while also committing grand theft and mass murder. And he's still the hero of that story.

its not theft or murder if theyre illusions though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The bullies who were mean to the protagonist sat the start of FFTA got turned into zombies and murdered. That kind of puts to bed any "well, but what about the good..." arguments.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also, mewt's magic fantasy life is really hosed up and he's probably the one who most of all is being really unhealthy by wanting to stay there

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

speaking of ffta, version 1.0 of the big rebalancing mod should be out soon http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9817.0

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They do, but only in one mission, and only if he dies in that mission :eng101:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

Zack is not a particularly deep character but he is a solid likable character with a straightforward and fairly well executed plot arc. That puts him on the high end of JRPG protagonists. (If just because JRPG protagonists so rarely hit all of those marks.) There are better and more ambitious characters but I can understand him being someone's favorite.

They can't all be that guy from Radiant Historia. What's his name, uh...Solid Snake.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

speaking of ffta, version 1.0 of the big rebalancing mod should be out soon http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9817.0

I don't want to click that. is it going to be good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fronz posted:

I don't want to click that. is it going to be good

yeah it is going to be good

for one, he went through and made every mission have set laws, so you get laws that are designed to be challenging for the situation instead of other hacks which just remove them all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

:cheerdoge:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

yeah it is going to be good

for one, he went through and made every mission have set laws, so you get laws that are designed to be challenging for the situation instead of other hacks which just remove them all

That sounds good and I'm going to play it. Thank you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Set laws are a better idea than random laws I gotta say.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well hot drat that looks fantastic. I may try to hold for 1.0 if it's coming relatively soon but this FFTA patch excites me in many ways. I never could get into FFTA2 like I could the first.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Went in expecting it to be a "gut every interesting/good command set" hack, was not disappointed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they should make another ffta

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i mean, hell, i'd buy a third one, wouldn't you?

Kyrosiris posted:

Went in expecting it to be a "gut every interesting/good command set" hack, was not disappointed.

the problem with that kind of project is that the people doing them are always really, really into the game and maybe too enthusiastic about making stuff harder, but it still seems like he put a lot of effort in and it should be interesting to me :shrug:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 6, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would buy FFTA3 in a heartbeat

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

the problem with that kind of project is that the people doing them are always really, really into the game and maybe too enthusiastic about making stuff harder, but it still seems like he put a lot of effort in and it should be interesting to me :shrug:

Yeah, that's fair. I'm not fundamentally opposed to hacks that add challenge, but I hate when that challenge comes from "rip away player tools". The idea of removing MP regeneration and having static per-mission laws is neat; removing summons from Doublecast and removing Quick effects altogether isn't (IMO).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

he's right that his friends shouldn't keep hanging out in the fake world

Hell yes. Marche is the only person that can help Mewt; to ignore his cry for help would make him a bad hero and a bad friend. Also he's not even saying that they can't hang out in the fake world - this is canon, because you can keep playing after beating the game. Just that there's an important step between "video games are a place I can go where my problems won't follow me" and "therefore I should just live in video games"

It's a good detail that someone whose life is lovely for reasons beyond his control invents a fantasy where he can exert absolute control in the form of Laws. It's a better one that this fantasy is constructed in such a way that someone trying to snap him out of it is not only superficially the villain, but even ends up doing the same sequence of events that Exdeath does - shatter the crystals, reunite two dimensions that were separated, and destroy the world.

FFTA owns.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Exdeath is the hero we need, but not the one we deserve.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i don't want it to be rebalanced, i like killing everything with bunny assassins

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't want it to be rebalanced, i like killing everything with bunny assassins

Bet it will make every map be like the lawless region, where there no judge on the map and you can permanently lose a party member.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

Bet it will make every map be like the lawless region, where there no judge on the map and you can permanently lose a party member.

it does not

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

i thought bunny assassins got boring after not too long

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
remakeffta into a bunny assassin stealth action game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fronz posted:

i thought bunny assassins got boring after not too long

i grinded to get early cinquedea multiple times

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i wasn't bored with bunny assassins when i played FFTA as a kid, and i'm not bored with it as an adult either

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

i wasn't bored with bunny assassins when i played FFTA as a kid, and i'm not bored with it as an adult either

Same, FFTA is a very fun game to snap over your knee

Level 3 assassins and Cinquedea before the tenth mission own. :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to playing Dissidia Duodecim. What's the opinion on RPG Mode vs Action Mode? It took me several battles to understand that RPG mode let me actually trigger attacks and not just change attack patterns. I still feel like I have no idea what's going on.

I'm just happy to be playing at my anime waifu Lightning ~~~~~

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You are the first I've heard playing in RPG mode.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finally got around to playing Dissidia Duodecim. What's the opinion on RPG Mode vs Action Mode? It took me several battles to understand that RPG mode let me actually trigger attacks and not just change attack patterns. I still feel like I have no idea what's going on.

You have no reason to ever use RPG Mode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The ONLY reason to ever use RPG mode is for Jecht combos, and guess what? it's better to just get loving good with Jecht. Holy poo poo I can't even believe you're the same guy who beat No Heart and Mysterious Figure yet you use RPG mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For non-Dissidia players out there, why are goons upset about this?