Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm playing it safe on a bomb disposal mission, hiding from the mectoid until I can get into a better position.
A loving sectoid just did 10 damage... ahahahaha. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The delay kinda killed the hype for me.

I mean, I'm still waiting for it and will get Xcom2 as soon as possible, but 6 months are still longer than 3.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bholder posted:

The delay kinda killed the hype for me.

I mean, I'm still waiting for it and will get Xcom2 as soon as possible, but 6 months are still longer than 3.

I feel the same way but I suspect it more "delayed" the hype than killed it for me. I'm pretty sure when January rolls around I'll be frothing at the mouth again, all hyped up for XCOM2: Guerrilla Boogaloo.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm still hyped as hell. And I'm glad I have more time to mess with the Long War .ini settings ect., because once XCOM 2 comes out I know that no one will likely even so much as sniff the original. Might as well have fun with it in the company of others while I still can.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

eldridge cleaver posted:

Vahlen would never hurt me like that.

you don't know poo poo

it's obvious that vahlen has gone into torture withdrawal due to the alien victory. humans make a perfectly acceptable victim substitute

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Suitaru posted:

you don't know poo poo

it's obvious that vahlen has gone into torture withdrawal due to the alien victory. humans make a perfectly acceptable victim substitute

Burn that fucker Vahlen!
I'll never be able to see her as anything other than a murderous and torturing angle of death. I love her.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Anyone going to Firaxicon this year? Figured it was a good excuse to get an early look at the game now that the release's been delayed, would be nice to meet up some goons while I'm there. I know some of you owe me a drink. :v:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My game went into overdrive or something.
20 active aliens, 3 outsiders, a mectoid... just all around lol.
It would be ok but I'm still on the stupid bomb mission. I have to move up. Sigh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm getting hammered.
I've never had a commander fail before.
He tried to take over my guy and the line was, "I'm not a traitor, dammit."
lol. I'm so hosed.

edit: poo poo, he did take my guy. I'm more hosed than I thought. sigh.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Another mind commander and another Outsider???
I'm gonna restart.

This poo poo got way too real for me.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Pohl posted:

Another mind commander and another Outsider???
I'm gonna restart.

This poo poo got way too real for me.

I think you have confused your SA login with your Twitter login.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Deuce posted:

I think you have confused your SA login with your Twitter login.

I try not to post too much, but if I don't, this thread ends up on page 5 or 6 of games.
Go ahead and hate me for my posting, but at least I'm posting in this dead thread.

Edit: Oh yea, I'm still excited and having fun, because it is a loving game. Sorry if that makes you mad.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 6, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pohl posted:

I try not to post too much, but if I don't, this thread ends up on page 5 or 6 of games.

:ohdear:

Doesn't everyone use bookmarks? Games moves way too fast for me to keep up.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

:ohdear:

Doesn't everyone use bookmarks? Games moves way too fast for me to keep up.

Me too. Frankly, I don't browse the forums on my cell phone, either. When I'm out, I'm out. I like to do the forum when I'm at home, but I'm not taking it with me.
In fact, I'm going out to lunch with some friends right now. The forum is not coming with me.

I mean I love you guys and gals, but come on...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have fun at the gym, Pohl

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And isn't the canon that we never got passed ballistics? So XCOM was basically a poorly performing spec ops team?

Lasers. We got that far.

...And apparently 'you' left enough of an impression that you were worth keeping for 20 years, worth rescuing after a tipoff that could have easily been a 'final wipe-out' trap, and that you were talked about for 20 years. That's...quite an impression.

If they go with 'You were a potential Volunteer'...I dunno. It'd fit but also not.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 7, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

have fun at the gym, Pohl

I had a hamburger and beer and a bunch more beer.
It was a good day!
No Gym!

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Anyone going to Firaxicon this year? Figured it was a good excuse to get an early look at the game now that the release's been delayed, would be nice to meet up some goons while I'm there. I know some of you owe me a drink. :v:

I'm going. Not sure if I owe you a drink but I'll buy you one anyways for being so awesome.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Bloodly posted:

Lasers. We got that far.

...And apparently 'you' left enough of an impression that you were worth keeping for 20 years, worth rescuing after a tipoff that could have easily been a 'final wipe-out' trap, and that you were talked about for 20 years. That's...quite an impression.

If they go with 'You were a potential Volunteer'...I dunno. It'd fit but also not.

I still feel like it's going to be a "Things were going well until you were betrayed to the aliens, XCOM fell shortly after your disappearance. Now that we've found you, we have a chance again." type of thing. If it was supposed to be a typical I/I run that should be canon, then I'd probably say half of the players died on the first mission while others probably made it a month or two in and just got hosed.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Alkydere posted:

I feel the same way but I suspect it more "delayed" the hype than killed it for me. I'm pretty sure when January rolls around I'll be frothing at the mouth again, all hyped up for XCOM2: Guerrilla Boogaloo.

I packed up my XCOM hype and have it crated up for January or so. Meanwhile I've dusted off the Star Wars hype I last used for RotS.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Firaxicon is one of the handful of cons that makes me annoyed at living in the midwest. I'd really like to go, but traveling 1000 miles to get there is pretty hard to justify when I have so much work to do.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Playtest trip report on my Long Warrified Vanilla mod.

I started a brand new playthrough on normal (it's designed to be played on normal, no bonuses, no penalties on any units) and got hilariously lucky to have a 15 mobility, 75 aim rookie. Fed her the first 4 kills and she rolls Sniper. Proceed to further feed her kills and eventually wind up with a support squad with a 14 mobility heavy, assault, support, secondary sniper, and 15 mobility support.

Current builds:

Support 1

Covering Fire, Dense Smoke, Opportunist, Smoke and Mirrors, will grab Sentinel. I got this support at SGT. from a council mission and she rolled fairly good aim so I wanted to make her an overwatcher. The extra smoke is great for when I'm in a bad spot.

Support 2

Battle Scanner, Dense Smoke, will grab Field Medic, Smoke and Mirrors, and Savior. High mobility, low aim, perfect full support support. Not much else to say there.

Secondary Sniper

She doesn't get many kills due to lovely aim but I'll most likely make her into a Covert Operative with the appropriate perks.

Assault

Hybrid infiltrator. Aggression, Lightning Reflexes, Resilience, Close Encounters, and will get Rapid Fire. He runs up to things, shoots them, and handles overwatches. Resilience to prevent him from getting gibbed.

Heavy

Full explosives Heavy. Shredder Rocket, Grenadier, HEAT Ammo, Rocketeer, and will get Danger Zone most likely. My main cover destructor and general rear end in a top hat explosives dude. Haven't gotten another heavy to make into a gunner (preferably one with high aim) yet but that will probably replace the secondary sniper especially when she gets to being an operative.

Primary Sniper

High Mobility Skullfucker. Snapshot, Precision Shot, Bring Em On, drat Good Ground, and will get In The Zone. Combined with my cover destruction, my angel of death absolutely demolishes anything she gets line of sight on. It's rather absurd.

Right now, initial reaction is that Assaults and Snipers feel very powerful. Supports feel very safe. Heavies are extremely valuable as cover destructors. Haven't used any Mecs yet but I'll be converting one of my sniper extras into a Mec eventually, along with an assault as well. Snipers need to really be guided and carried in the beginning, the difference between my Major Sniper and my Squaddie is nothing short of amazing. I rushed armor first to make sure I never had my Sniper away for any missions due to any lucky shots. It's worked out nicely in my favor as everyone can take a shot or two and not need to worry about a sickbay visit. I upped the starting number of Scientists and Engineers to 10, but I think I may revert that change as it may have made this initial start far too easy. It makes getting armor OR lasers much easier to pull off before the first terror mission, and it makes satellite rushing a non-issue due to being able to blast out an uplink AND satellite out of the gate. My alternative solution may be to up the number of scientists/engineers gained from abductions to 5 instead of 4. Still need to do more testing.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

A small UFO, cool. Oh, how many aliens just activated and ran around like fools? 20 or more? Good times.
I'm gonna set the drat world on fire with my mecs.
20 activation's? just lol.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh cool so the new XCOM is like Nobunaga's Ambition?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Pohl posted:

A small UFO, cool. Oh, how many aliens just activated and ran around like fools? 20 or more? Good times.
I'm gonna set the drat world on fire with my mecs.
20 activation's? just lol.

i hate that map

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ernie Muppari posted:

i hate that map

Yeah, that one's just so awkward it's frustrating even in EU/EW.

I can't imagine what kind of headache it causes in LW.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Anyone who is using my vanilla mod, re-download the ini file. I accidentally misspelled one of the perk names which prevented the Assault's final abilities from working properly.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Just finished doing the Army of Four achievement. It's a nice challenge having to limit yourself to 4 men/mecs for the entire game. Final squad was Heavy, Sniper, Support, and Mec, with an Assault for covert ops/backup when someone was wounded.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Davethulhu posted:

Just finished doing the Army of Four achievement. It's a nice challenge having to limit yourself to 4 men/mecs for the entire game. Final squad was Heavy, Sniper, Support, and Mec, with an Assault for covert ops/backup when someone was wounded.

Nice. You are doing god's work. Seriously though, good job.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

i hate that map

Their was loving 16 aliens inside and five muttons on the right.
Did I say fire and rockets, earlier? Oh, we had a big party.

Edit: and I got that drat meld, you know I did.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 8, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just finished a Classic Ironman run on Vanilla.

Here's my beautifully laid out base:

And I think it's time to do an Impossible run if I managed this so easily:

No shot of the memorial wall but only lost 4 guys. RIP my poor rookies.

Davethulhu posted:

What difficulty were you on?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

And I think it's time to do an Impossible run if I managed this so easily:

LoL. have fun!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Litany Unheard posted:

What difficulty were you on?

Classic. I've beaten Impossible but I find Classic more enjoyable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A 4 man run on Impossible sounds...well, impossible.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Internet Kraken posted:

Yah, I didn't want to be reduced to constant save scumming. Gonna try the 4 mec achievement next, maybe I'll jump to impossible for that.

Also unrelated but does anyone know what triggers the ethereal reflect ability? Is it just a random chance for any incoming attack?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Internet Kraken posted:

Davethulhu posted:

Yah, I didn't want to be reduced to constant save scumming. Gonna try the 4 mec achievement next, maybe I'll jump to impossible for that.

Also unrelated but does anyone know what triggers the ethereal reflect ability? Is it just a random chance for any incoming attack?

If you decide to go with cover destruction: ITZ Sniper, Rocket/Grenade heavy, Tank Assault, MEC.

If you decided to go with defensive measures (I wouldn't with Impossible): Double Tap Sniper, Tank Assault, Smoke Support, MEC.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So where the christ is the XCOM2 PAX panel video?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Magitek posted:

So where the christ is the XCOM2 PAX panel video?

Well they just put up vid of last year's Firaxicon, so I'd put the ETA at 11 months.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Davethulhu posted:

I think it is a random chance for any incoming attack from a gun, as in, it can't trigger on rockets, flamethrowers or Kinetic Strike Modules. Or grenades.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Anyone who is using my vanilla mod, re-download the ini file. I accidentally misspelled one of the perk names which prevented the Assault's final abilities from working properly.

can you re-link it or just specify the change to be made?

• Locked thread