Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i'm watching the third one and after that the fourth

tomorrow the other four

can't imagine watching this over 8 weeks :psyduck:

i wish i had done it when it was airing though

yeah honestly I'm jealous of everyone who got to be there when it happened. the endless 8 has two big things going for it: it's aesthetically cool when watched in a big chunk but also it was a deliberately designed event (some say troll but I think the fact that the actual result turned out to be so good in the end means it was more of a reverse bait and switch) and I'm sad I only lived the event part secondhand.

but I have no one to blame but my tasteless 2009 self

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also, for new people (do we have more than 1? for the 1 who posts anyway), sorry for spoiling that there's 8 episodes, I guess.

so like history lesson, a lot of people didn't know it was going to go on for eight episodes. and part of the "fun" for some people is not knowing when it ends.

it wasn't spoiled for me but I guessed it was 8 by the title and a little because of the hype. apparently there are a lot of other reasons for the "8" part of the title (infinity sign, starts on 8/8, and so on) so maybe the angry otaku were just fooling themselves into thinking they weren't part of a conceptual experiment

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 4, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

airing endless eight was a really ballsy and ambitious move, on the level of eva 25/26 and the sopranos finale. more shows should take chances like that

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

airing endless eight was a really ballsy and ambitious move, on the level of eva 25/26 and the sopranos finale. more shows should take chances like that

i love the ee but the level of anger on anime sites at the time was hilarious

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Only one week left! :supaburn:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also for anyone who really wants to immerse themselves, now is the time to go back and start chronological order. I'm not gonna do that but I will forever admire anyone who does

(intoxicate yourself enough to pretend three years have passed since melancholy s1 for max effect)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

i love the ee but the level of anger on anime sites at the time was hilarious

its obviously more difficult to account for western/non-jp audiences beyond internet impressions but i'd be interested in seeing the japanese viewership numbers as it progressed

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I got to the episode of Ouran called "Haruhi in Wonderland" and it's really great and all but I'd still rather watch a show based on this
or maybe play it as a level in a jrpg

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 4, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like people are overselling EE just a little bit, it really looks like they got green lit for the movie and did it as a replacement out of desperation.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like people are overselling EE just a little bit, it really looks like they got green lit for the movie and did it as a replacement out of desperation.

that's a much less fun and interesting interpretation. I don't think haruhi would approve.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hey, Haruhi believes in chronological order too. Kyon goes with broadcast order, so clearly Haruhi is not always correct.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last two episodes of NGE were partly due to business concerns and they still rule.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'd be curious if there's any evidence if that was the case, from interviews or whatever (about ee)

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

This. A good negative example of this is the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just had a weird thought. I know there's little chance of any further anime adaptions being made, but I took a peek at some of the future plotlines.

The sheer potential of loving with viewers with the legacy of Endless Eight is through the roof.
People would die if they handle the alpha/beta timelines in a way that makes them look like Endless Eight at first :psyduck:

I'm glad they had the balls to pull it off - it's just incomprehensible. I'd never have found out about Haruhi too, if it weren't for it.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Watched Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

gently caress, I hate plotlines like this. Did Kyon just break time, forwards and backwards? And Mikuru sending him backwards in time specifically to do that just raises more questions.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Also, starting with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, it'll be new content to me. I know what the Endless Eight is and I have the basic outlines of the subsequent episodes, but I haven't seen any of them before.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Watched Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

gently caress, I hate plotlines like this. Did Kyon just break time, forwards and backwards? And Mikuru sending him backwards in time specifically to do that just raises more questions.

Time's not broken, Mikuru wouldn't actively gently caress with time as that seems like something her superiors would really not want her to do.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah, stable time loop. Your actions in the past can't change anything because they're already accounted for and have always happened. Basically Kyon has always been John Smith.

Generally, Haruhi runs on stable time loop rules though stories after the anime start messing more with that.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

And Mikuru sending him backwards in time specifically to do that just raises more questions.

Well, she'd been ordered to by her superiors, if I remember correctly, presumably Future Mikuru. Future Mikuru probably realised at some point that she'd been the one to give the order to travel to the past, and therefore had to ensure it happened, because she knew for a fact that it already had. To not do so would be to undo some past events, which would likely not be a very good idea.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, starting with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, it'll be new content to me. I know what the Endless Eight is and I have the basic outlines of the subsequent episodes, but I haven't seen any of them before.

Remember when Haruhi first meets Kyon and asks if she had met him before? She had, he hadn't yet though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Remember when Haruhi first meets Kyon and asks if she had met him before? She had, he hadn't yet though.

Because it was actually future Kyon in the past?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"have I met you before" is such an innocuous thing to ask, and what you expect in a traditional romantic comedy. I like how the really long uncomfortable staring sets the tone for the show, but also makes plot sense w/ stuff aired 3 years later

adaptations have their advantages when the adapters are smart as hell

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Allarion posted:

Nah, stable time loop. Your actions in the past can't change anything because they're already accounted for and have always happened. Basically Kyon has always been John Smith.

stable time loops are bullshit and make zero sense because there has to have been a point where you didn't go back in time to do the things you already did, because if you already did those things you'd have no reason to go back in time and do the things you already did. BTTF and terminator didn't become such classics because of their well researched and complicated science

trying to attach literally any meaning to the supernatural stuff in this show beyond "look at how this develops character X" is a fools errand because none of it makes sense or even attempts to make sense

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Time Travel is literally magic so who gives a gently caress either way

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

all tech is magic but not all magic is tech *reaches up into the sky and gets pulled into cosmic wish fulfillment*

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Time Travel is literally magic so who gives a gently caress either way

that's what I'm getting at, the explanation for all these supernatural things is "this teenage girl thought it'd be awesome if this existed"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

that's what I'm getting at, the explanation for all these supernatural things is "this teenage girl thought it'd be awesome if this existed"

still not confirmed, you know

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The time travel in Haruhi makes perfect sense.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

darealkooky posted:

stable time loops are bullshit and make zero sense because there has to have been a point where you didn't go back in time to do the things you already did, because if you already did those things you'd have no reason to go back in time and do the things you already did. BTTF and terminator didn't become such classics because of their well researched and complicated science

trying to attach literally any meaning to the supernatural stuff in this show beyond "look at how this develops character X" is a fools errand because none of it makes sense or even attempts to make sense

Stable time loops actually work perfectly for Haruhi because it kind of feeds into the whole "time travelers only exist because Haruhi wants them to" thing. The fact that time travel only happens to make itself happen and effectively does nothing other than make the world more interesting is thematically perfect.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What's the name of the smooth jazz track that plays when Kyon and Future Asahina are talking at the beginning of the ep?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

What's the name of the smooth jazz track that plays when Kyon and Future Asahina are talking at the beginning of the ep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IJfgV6h-uM

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will probably watch Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody tonight, finally

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
THREE MORE DAYS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's gonna be the second best 9/11 ever :D

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so pre game chat re: the folks who say "nothing happens/not enough happens in the EE/there isn't enough development to justify it's runttime/ etc" ((and I get where you're coming form): [spoilers obvi]

did you at least feel the development of the style of each episode? like just from memory the shots and editing become increasingly abstract at key moments, kyon speaks more and more sternly, the music gets ominous, the slice of life increasingly desperate (with exceptions), the relations more tense - !!! from one pov it's a crawl toward breakdown (which we don't get to witness in s2...,) and I get why some think it was artificially stretched, because it's such an uncommon and undramatic presentation of that kind of story.

the budget/making room for 'disappearance' explanation is believable for sure but I'd be really curious to know if that was the case. it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the decionmakers being ballsy and following their convictions after an enormous success. it's happened before and god willing it will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

another thing I'd really like to know is who was responsible for what in some of the crazier decisions like EE or whatever.

I get why it turns people off. it's a straight up weird thing for a big show. it's storytelling using the pure medium vs. the plot, it in a way that's uncommonly slow and deliberately off-putting to the target audience, who're averse thru the show's own self selection to boredom, and it's delivered as a weekly serial, potentially without end, which is such a cooly irritating way to present it, it doesn't matter how deliberate the decision was, they had to know what was coming.

but also it's like a purer more straight up version of the spirit of the broadcast order from s1 - feeling from the form.

there was a poster like "I don't watch anime to write essays" and I thought I was the same way but I'm helpless in a haruhi thread. thanks In Training

on an unrelated note

• Locked thread