Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Prep : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTafZRecy2k

Work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP-mRUSJ6k

Close : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMKTZdkaU4

I baked a -lot- of poo poo listening to Clutch at 3am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I don't really listen to anything anymore when I'm working but Carrie Underwood's "Temporary Home" often comes up over the speakers in the bathroom when I'm taking a poo poo. I like to time it so I pinch it out right when she sings "I can see God's face."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Secret Spoon posted:

I worked at an electronics store when Soldier boy was new.

I still have panic attacks when I hear that song, which thankfully is less than once a year because it was such an awful song.

My college job played top 40 radio back when Rhianna had like 6 songs on the top 40. It was grim.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I baked a -lot- of poo poo listening to Clutch at 3am.

I play a few Clutch albums probably 3 times a week and it would be more but for some reason chef doesn't dig Neil Fallon.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And that's why I can't work an office job.

Same. I'll take the raging dumpster fire that is my pizza-riffic existence over that poo poo any day.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The manager I've complained about at length came in on his day off and announced he was transferring to another store. General morale immediately improved, and I actually don't hate walking in there anymore.

I will say, I can't fathom being a manager in this (or most foodservice) company. You make less money than many of the people you oversee, you're often filling a salary role as an hourly employee, while continuously training new salary managers who are starting at double your annual income to do the things you already know how to do. Additionally, every day you have the possibility of waking up to a phone call informing you that you're being transferred and now your commute is an hour instead of twenty minutes hope that's ok with you bye.

Thank God for good managers, because I don't know how they exist.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best of luck to all of you degenerates who are working over the weekend. I'm on my vacation finally, leaving to see my boyfriend tomorrow afternoon. It felt good to sleep in after my 9 days straight at the hospital job. Getting called in for the 5am shift was interesting, and didn't go as badly as it could have. And I've learned how to do pretty much every station in my department now, aside from the registers. I should ask to learn those too, just to make myself that little bit more useful. Initiative is a good thing, especially with a new company coming in to take over the food service contract.

I'll drink a cider and eat some fresh picked Georgia apples for y'all. :3:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We run on sheer hate.

In other news, I am quickly discovering that shift management in corporate is much like shift management in foodservice. The difference is, foodservice at some point has to surrender to a product getting made. Corporate can coast for days on not getting any meaningful work done and just getting angrier.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If Facebook is to be believed, the chef-owner who left the hostess for the waitress married her today in a home ceremony after something like 1 1/2 months of dating. Both of their families are re-posting and putting up pictures from it and congrats, etc. so I think it's real. I don't even know what the gently caress.

EDIT: Also, this is my closing album: https://doomtree.bandcamp.com/album/doomtree
We have an open kitchen and I can't hear the house music over kitchen noise, so it's no sounds during service, but as soon as we're closing, the headphones are in and this album is on.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 6, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Liquid Communism posted:

We run on sheer hate.

This for the unofficial thread motto. You know how much fun it is to be kind to the five top that walks in ten minutes to close and do it nice anyway, but that is why whiskey exists.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I used to not allow smoke breaks unless it was your 30, but at new job I'm one of like 3 nonsmokers on the entire boh and foh staff so everybody is constantly going out to smoke. I'm kinda used to it after 10 years in this profession though.

Music: used to work in an open kitchen, so house music was our music too, and I feel seething rage when I hear "landslide" now because it played about 4 different versions of it on the pandora station they used. Last job was a strict no music policy, the one exception was blaring dropkick Murphys on st party's day. Current kitchen just kinda shuffles through whoever feels like djing for a while on the ipod/phone dock. I can tolerate just about anything up to and including Anal oval office, so it doesn't matter a ton to me but my usual play is a Pandora station w 2 seeds: The Black Keys, and Them Crooked Vultures. Sometimes we clean to Dethklok

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Every day that I don't choke one of our front of house managers after he freaks the gently caress out over the dumbest poo poo (like not stacking plates for the dishpig correctly) an angel gets his wings

So far that's about 21 Angels

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No Comrade Manager six in the evening is not a good time to break down the kitchens soda machine to wash it

No Comrade Manager when we are balls deep in it and I can't see my point man because of all the tickets in the window is not the time to come in yelling about how you had to comp an entire meal because we forgot a side dressing (that nobody ever told us about so we could fix it) and demanding to know what happened. (One of our kitchen managers actually got fired over this because he got so pissed off that he finally just shoved Comrade out of the way and it turned into a twenty minute screaming match in the office while I had to step in to expo and run food, with the only other runner being brand new and thus useless)

And now I'm dragging my dead rear end out of bed after college football Saturday to work a Subday buffet and I swear to Christ I'm eating ten pounds of bacon and if they don't like it they can eat me

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But Sunday Buffet!

Someone think of the Children!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Man and his dog posted:

But Sunday Buffet!

Someone think of the Children!

That's the best part it's Labor Day weekend, obviously, so we're dead as gently caress, obviously, so Comrade is giving us a bunch of cleaning projects

And he pulled all of my goddamn runners to do then so god forbid I get hit because I'm going to have to expo, run, and track them down all at the same time

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao dude I'm about to have to run an Italian restaurant with a 16 year old chick on the beach. It's just us. And it's raining.

This is going to be so bad.

:cripes:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lmao dude I'm about to have to run an Italian restaurant with a 16 year old chick on the beach. It's just us. And it's raining.

Does she get down?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If it's raining and you're at the beach doesn't that mean no one will be coming in?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

bloody ghost titty posted:

This for the unofficial thread motto. You know how much fun it is to be kind to the five top that walks in ten minutes to close and do it nice anyway, but that is why whiskey exists.

We have this one lady that does this every time she's in the city, she can't seem to eat unless we're closing. Also no one ever drinks anything but water and they insist on ordering off the lunch menu. (She likes the spinach salad with salmon) I'd be annoyed except that she tips 20% on the card, and then hands out $100 cash to her server, and then tosses the bartender and busser an extra $40 on the way out, and is actually super nice. I just wish she wasn't so unique.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We're so slow the other cook here volunteered to go get some garlic salt at the store for a recipe that calls for one teaspoon of it. Yes we have garlic powder and salt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It was dead all morning so they cut two of my runners early after pulling them to do some bullshit cleaning project all morning, leaving me and a dude who's developmentally disabled to expo, run food to tables, and help keep the buffet stocked, which in practice meant that I as taking care of ninety percent of the poo poo myself because there's a lot that he just can't do. Don't get me wrong, dude is great and works hard and will do anything you ask him to do but he has his limits. As soon as they cut the other two runners, we got super loving busy, and then as soon as it quieted down for a second they cut him before I could have him do any of the simple prep so again I was thrown to the wolves when the rush hit five minutes later

I do this for eight an hour and tip share. I'm actually praying that the dishwasher can hook me up with a dishwashing gig at his other job for 10

Edit this was all while cursing Comrade Manager and my servers for six hours

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Republicans posted:

We're so slow the other cook here volunteered to go get some garlic salt at the store for a recipe that calls for one teaspoon of it. Yes we have garlic powder and salt.

At my last gig one time I walked home and back (~15 mins) to get a tb of baking powder for our tempura batter. Sure we had baking soda and tapioca powder but they ain't the same drat thing. What recipe do you have that calls for garlic salt of all things?

We were so slow/dead this week and our new cooks are so new that they thought "well we've got all this extra time so why not prep a whole bunch of poo poo?" while not absorbing that Oktoberfest isn't for another 4 weeks and we're closed tomorrow so all those cut onions are just going to rot in refrigeration for a day and a half. Our par level for our hottest item is 4 trays and we're currently sitting at 11. Like I want to be glad that we're prepped that deep but drat.

For real though this was a thoroughly weird week. Thursday in particular if we didn't have a 16 top and a really hungry 8 top we would have been sleeping on the line. Not sure what kind of day I'm walking into today but that's life!

Re: smoke breaks the only thing that bothers me is when prep/dish go smoke during weeds. If you can keep it to one smoke every 3-5 hours (like i do), the flow of business allows for it and everything's done on time then I'm not gonna be mad. Then again smokers outnumber nons by about 5:1 at the 'straunt so they tend to make the rules.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

What recipe do you have that calls for garlic salt of all things?

Garlic mashed potatoes. That already have real garlic in them.

Not my recipe, not my gig, not my business. :shrug:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Then again smokers outnumber nons by about 5:1 at the 'straunt so they tend to make the rules.

My 'straunt has its share of 'rette smokers but we also have killer 'cados so it evens out

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm gonna loving murder the next person who spends their entire paid break and then some smoking and then comes back in to take a 20 minute poo poo and/or give themselves a blowout in the hand dryer. Especially if they are the sole competent person on the floor and they're leaving me alone with Methuselah's great aunts who can't do a goddamned thing.

That is all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Literally The Worst posted:

(like not stacking plates for the dishpig correctly)

FYI, the guy doing dishes probably hates you and is praying for the day when he can somehow gently caress you over.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Whoa, at first I thought that was a typo and he meant "for the dishpit" but did he actually mean "dishpig?!" That's hosed.

We don't even call it a "dishpit" anymore, no member of the team deserves to have their work place referred to as a "pit."

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Clearly you've never been in our office. It's next to the Broadway local.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Whoa, at first I thought that was a typo and he meant "for the dishpit" but did he actually mean "dishpig?!" That's hosed.

We don't even call it a "dishpit" anymore, no member of the team deserves to have their work place referred to as a "pit."

It's like one of these but for dishes.

Very water-efficient.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Part of my job is taking phone orders for pick-up food. One of the owners of my restaurant is a member of a fairly famous rock band. He's not involved in day to day operations and he only comes in rarely. I got a phone call last night from someone trying to get me to set-up a one on one meeting with the guy because they're "friends say [she's] a very talented musician." When I try and explain to her that there was no way that was happening, first she asks to speak to a manager, then she tries to sing to me over the phone. I hung up at that point.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

My 'straunt has its share of 'rette smokers but we also have killer 'cados so it evens out

Hey Farva, what's the name of that place you like? The one with all the goofy poo poo on the walls? And the mozzarella sticks?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Not sure what kind of day I'm walking into today but that's life!

Turns out it was going to be MOTHERFUCKING THUNDERDOME. We beat last year's Labor Day Sunday sales and had half the staff in both BOH and FOH as last year. As in two cooks, one bartender and three servers.

Fun part #1: party of ~70 shows up without calling, lies and says they're only going to drink., and doesn't tip for poo poo despite bringing the place to near-capacity
Fun part #2: as soon as the party leaves, they cut one of the servers. immediately after this, we fill up with even more people than the party
Fun part #3: the other cook has to jump off the line during weeds because we're out of loving plates and FOH is too snowed to help
Fun part #4: every table in the place turns over one hour before the kitchen closes. repeat weeds. no preclosing whatsoever.

After close even more people fill the place up to the point that even standing space is limited. And then a party bus showed up an hour before they were supposed to close (midnight on Sundays) so the poor fuckers are going to be stuck at work 2 hours later than they planned, but hopefully making money.

gently caress Labor Day Sunday

pile of brown posted:

Hey Farva, what's the name of that place you like? The one with all the goofy poo poo on the walls? And the mozzarella sticks?

You mean 'Nans?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That was odd. Last night a couple came in and seemed to really enjoy the food and asked if I would be interested in catering their wedding.

Flattering but no. I have no staff for catering and I'm not going to be the one to gently caress up your special day, thank you for the vote of confidence though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

This is the first time i've worked Labor Day since before I started getting treatment for PTSD; I don't really remember what to expect. Should be fun!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Excuse me Miss? Is this linguine with clams served with any kind of pasta?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got asked yesterday if our burrata had any cheese in it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Turns out it was going to be MOTHERFUCKING THUNDERDOME. We beat last year's Labor Day Sunday sales and had half the staff in both BOH and FOH as last year. As in two cooks, one bartender and three servers.

Fun part #1: party of ~70 shows up without calling, lies and says they're only going to drink., and doesn't tip for poo poo despite bringing the place to near-capacity
Fun part #2: as soon as the party leaves, they cut one of the servers. immediately after this, we fill up with even more people than the party
Fun part #3: the other cook has to jump off the line during weeds because we're out of loving plates and FOH is too snowed to help
Fun part #4: every table in the place turns over one hour before the kitchen closes. repeat weeds. no preclosing whatsoever.

After close even more people fill the place up to the point that even standing space is limited. And then a party bus showed up an hour before they were supposed to close (midnight on Sundays) so the poor fuckers are going to be stuck at work 2 hours later than they planned, but hopefully making money.

gently caress Labor Day Sunday

You mean 'Nans?

I'm the restaurant that doesn't force a grat on a 70 person group.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The restaurant I work at now gratuities parties of 6 or more; not gonna lie, I like it. Last place didn't have any grat policies as far as I can recall.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm the restaurant that doesn't force a grat on a 70 person group.

Same. All separate checks. Bartender served ~$300 in sales in an hour and made $13 in tips. gently caress all of those people.

• Locked thread