Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo that clip was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm amazed they had the first episode done so early, knowing how anime schedules work

Also that clip owns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
They sacrificed a few souls here and there for this anime, and tbh it's worth it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a scene where Saitama is dreaming about having a decent fight, right? He's actually working up a sweat against trash mobs, which is not possible in his real life.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JosephWongKS posted:

That's a scene where Saitama is dreaming about having a decent fight, right? He's actually working up a sweat against trash mobs, which is not possible in his real life.

Yeah the very end of the clip has his alarm clock waking him

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah the very end of the clip has his alarm clock waking him

Ah, I missed that part.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Both the music and animation immediately made me think of Gainax / Trigger but maybe some smart dude realised it would be a really good style to copy for OPM :iiam:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

:fap:

:flashfap:

This is going to be so goddamn good.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
what a wonderful time to be alive

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

so hype

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wowee :aaaaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I never really realized how good the first four chapters are at introducing you to Saitama as a character.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

they cut "school child" out! 0/10 adaptation way to fail madhouse

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was worried about the drop in quality, making the transition from manga to anime.

Not worried anymore.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Holy poo poo, y'all.

Holy poo poo.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

:siren:Heads up, a friend just let me know episode 1 is out in the wild now, unsubbed:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlHYkP932yI

Someone uploaded the non-subbed version, if you want to watch it while we wait for the subbed version.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The real question is if they can keep this quality up. Since the first episode is done so early I'm feeling good about that, that they've given enough budget and time to properly make this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm so loving happy.

Side note: There better never be any real explanation for how or why Saitama is as strong as he is.

I also don't mean the explanation saying that he did 100 push ups and 100 sit ups and blah blah.

I'm talking about stuff along the lines of DBZ finally explaining that Goku/Vegeta kept getting stronger and stronger because a Sayin gets a power boost whenever they are defeated and live (or are revived). Or that they're descended from legendary people, etc.

I want Saitama to remain completely baffling to everyone with his power.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Crain posted:

I'm so loving happy.

Side note: There better never be any real explanation for how or why Saitama is as strong as he is.

I also don't mean the explanation saying that he did 100 push ups and 100 sit ups and blah blah.

I'm talking about stuff along the lines of DBZ finally explaining that Goku/Vegeta kept getting stronger and stronger because a Sayin gets a power boost whenever they are defeated and live (or are revived). Or that they're descended from legendary people, etc.

This. Forever this.

Actually, it's because he doesn't use the AC in the summer.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
well i never thought i'd watch an episode of an anime without subtitles of any sort but here we are

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
This is a world where eating too much crab meat can literally turn you into a giant crab monster.

Saitama is strong because he thinks doing all those workouts will make him strong. And so they do.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Yes....yessssss

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
God drat!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fellis posted:

well i never thought i'd watch an episode of an anime without subtitles of any sort but here we are

gettin' real tempted

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Fellis posted:

I was going to call you a nerd, but then I realized I know the early chapters to heart anyways. The anime is really, really good you guys.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The real question is if they can keep this quality up. Since the first episode is done so early I'm feeling good about that, that they've given enough budget and time to properly make this.

You gotta wonder how much it cost to make a quality episode. I'm betting it's a lot cheaper than we'd think, given the fact that their industry is notorious for paying their artists pennies to the dollar compared to the average western animator's salary.

I'm sure it's still expensive as hell, just not $TEXAS expensive. For comparison, the average Looney Tunes cartoon, running at a mere 2 minutes 30 seconds, cost $600,000 back in Warner Bros' heyday (that's not factoring in inflation, those were the prices back in the 50's).

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 6, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The bloodspray was pretty Madhouse, but yeah, I was thinking the movement looked a lot like what Gainax did for Gurren Lagann.

The majority of that fight scene was animated by Yoshimichi Kameda, who is massively inspired by both Kanada-style animation and Imaishi's take on it. Relatively very young animator who started doing inbetweens around the time of Gurren Lagann. He'll be a main animator on the series based on the footage in the PV. There's a ton of footage in episode 1 that looks like the style of younger animators, unfortunately they didn't show the ED so its impossible to check the credits but it really looks like they went and grabbed as many people as they could.

The guy directing OPM is the Space Dandy director (Watanabe was "Chief Director") and is buddies with a lot of the people who worked on it.

aers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 6, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ak Gara posted:

This is a world where eating too much crab meat can literally turn you into a giant crab monster.

Saitama is strong because he thinks doing all those workouts will make him strong. And so they do.

Actually this is probably it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crain posted:

I'm so loving happy.

Like Ak Gara said there doesn't need to be any official explanation because it's already in line with what we know of OPM's universe. It's just the recurring theme of thoughtforms/egregores/willpower manifesting into reality that Japanese authors love to use. Saitama believes his 100 push ups made him insanely strong, therefore he is insanely strong. FFX and FFXIV have the same plot for example.

I do think some of the more savvy characters like Fubuki are eventually gonna figure it out though.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Crain posted:

What if it's never explained since it doesn't matter you loving pedants.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is the greatest thing in the world.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Crain posted:

I don't think it will ever be explained as that in-universe (and it drat well better not be), but it does make a great thematic tie-in to Tank Top Master's words about how Heroes and Monsters usually fight. Really sets Saitama and Garou up as mirrors of each other.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the anime doesn't even have the part with the older brother getting trapped under the rubble and asking the little brother to help him out

i mean, the fact they skip out on important character interactions like that shows this anime is trash

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Though for reals I wanted the Murata Manga to be the storyboard for the anime like the ONE version is for Murata.

Its cyclical and fulfills some unknown need i have developed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I don't think it will ever be explained as that in-universe (and it drat well better not be), but it does make a great thematic tie-in to Tank Top Master's words about how Heroes and Monsters usually fight. Really sets Saitama and Garou up as mirrors of each other.

Oh yeah. I didn't mean that as "it's probably this" as an in-universe explanation. Just in a "that's just what the writer's rules are" for the story.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So are we going to have a third thread for the anime watchers now, where all the Murata readers get to make sly allusions to future plot points and try to convince everyone within to read his version because "It's basically the storyboard for the anime" and "The anime uses most of the same framing"?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Yes, just like that time he punches the sea king.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

So are we going to have a third thread for the anime watchers now, where all the Murata readers get to make sly allusions to future plot points and try to convince everyone within to read his version because "It's basically the storyboard for the anime" and "The anime uses most of the same framing"?

no, because it'll still be ONE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It should just be ONE thread imo. Just everyone that talks about the redraw uses spoiler tags, and everyone that talks about the original uses even more spoiler tags. It'd work out fiiiiiiine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Give it all the threads just so there's less whining about how faithfully they adapt and reproduce the series and characters between multiple threads.

I like the ONE version for the humor, style, and characters. I like the Murata version for the titssick art, eventual redraws, and Fubukifun filler. Let there be less in-fighting and arguments about differences between version. I just want more Saitama.